Home General Discussion

the Simpsons Movie...

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
Caught the midnight show last night. Aside from me falling asleep for 20 minutes in the middle thumbs up from me.

Replies

• Slum
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    I'm checking it out in just under an hour. I'll report back here afterward. I have high hopes.
  • b1ll
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    yuk, Sure the art as been better the last few seasons, but honestly after like the fourth or 5 seasons it was just meh for me, so fucking 2hours of MEH, DELETE!
  • snap.crackle.pop
    Offline / Send Message
    snap.crackle.pop polycounter lvl 18
    Im really not a big fan of the Simpsons, quite frankly i found it hard to watch this show, the jokes are childish and grotesque. Im going to stay away from the movie so i don't get sick or else.

This is my opinion only i have fully respect for those who like them.
  • Daz
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    the jokes are childish and grotesque

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm guessing that English isn't your first language, because childish though *some* of the gags can be, the clever thing about the Simpsons has always been its multi-layered nature. Theres something in there for all ages, and the deeper political and social commentary stuff whilst far from childish, isn't screamingly obvious to all.

Really enjoyed the movie, very funny at times, although I didn't find it completely hysterical. I was really surprised at how much 3D they used actually, not sure how I feel about it.
    Thumbs up from me. Definitely worth a watch for any Simpsons fans!
  • rooster
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    regarding the 3d..I thought the trailer was quite funny.. I wonder if it was intentionally ironic? they show a cute bunny in 3d hopping around, then squash it and say 'the new simpsons movie.. in 2d!'

then straight afterwards they show homer speeding along in a 3d demolition vehicle
  • Daz
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Honestly rooster I dont think that was meant to be irony no. I don't think the audience was 'meant' to spot the 3D, and I'd imagine they used it for time reasons. I mentioned the 3D to my fiancee after the movie, and her response was 'oh, it was? It looked like the cartoon to me' so there you have it from a layperson smile.gif
  • Tulkamir
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    Great movie, enjoyed it a tonne. Though I'd been hoping for a conclusive end that would give some closure to the series. Oh well, I can live with sequels. :P

Yea, I agree with Daz. The 3D was all done to look 2D. You'd likely have to have an eye for it to really notice.

And snap.crackle.pop... like Daz said, Simpson's has very clever and multilayered humour. It was actually used as a teaching device by likely the most strict teacher I had in my school days for its social commentary.
  • thnom
    Offline / Send Message
    thnom polycounter lvl 18
    Whilst I haven't seen the film, for me, the 3d is easily obvious in both the trailer for this, and futurama. Futurama uses it extensively and its WAY obvious.
  • snap.crackle.pop
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    I'm guessing that English isn't your first language

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know what to say, i was raised in Montana and speak proper english and french over that, thanks to my mother.

Like i said the Simpsons is a good attraction for lots of people, but not for everybody, it simply doesn't fit for me.
    But hey! my opinion on the Simpsons is so important that if ever it differ from yours, you better let me know and post about it. smile.gif
  • Mongrelman
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    I think what he was meaning that since you didn't seem to notice the levels of humour, it was possibly because of lack of fluency with the language (which apparently is not the case).

I suspect he's not bashing you because of a differeing opinion, but suggesting taking a closer look. I've noticed as I've watched throught he years I've gradually picked up on different things, such as more subtle jokes about religion and politics.
  • snap.crackle.pop
    Offline / Send Message
    Again ? why pick on me frown.gif

Of corse i noticed the level of humour. Try to interpret it more like.

smile.gifcool.gifsmirk.gif Hola Dudes, can't wait to watch it too stoned with 12 of my homies and laugh my butt off, but for now i'll wait, and let you guys that saw the movie talk about it. kekeke!!! smile.gifcool.gifsmirk.gif

:humour: :humour: :humour: :humour:

• KeyserSoze
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I've noticed as I've watched throught he years I've gradually picked up on different things, such as more subtle jokes about religion and politics.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I love about the Simpsons (at least seasons 1-9); I can watch the same episodes over and over because I'm always catching jokes that I missed before. For example, recently I watched an episode were something horrible happened, and Barney (the drunk) exclaimed, "Jesus must be rolling in his grave!" I never caught that joke despite having seen the episode probably a dozen or so times (I probably never caught it before because I'm not a Christian, and didn't see what was wrong with the statement).

I'm feeling a bit ambivalent about the movie, though. I find it depressing how much the show has gone down hill in the last half a decade. They brought Swartzwelder back for the movie (who I think deserves a lot of the credit for what made the Simpsons so great in its prime... the downward spiral of the show also happens to coincide with Swartzwelder's dwindling involvement and eventual departure from the show), but I still have reservations about going to see the movie.
  • Daz
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Snap, you described the Simpsons humour as childish, and I noticed Montreal as your location, so I simply assumed language was the barrier preventing you from picking up on the depth that the Simpsons show is well known for. Apologies If that's not the case. It wasn't intended to insult.

If you have an interest in discovering how layered the show can be, I suggest watching some of it. If you don't have that interest, there's probably little point in replying to a thread about the movie, more so If you haven't actually er, *seen* the movie smile.gif
  • snap.crackle.pop
    Offline / Send Message
    Dazzy your right! point taken.

I must've been completely out of my mind, i just used the internet.

• b1ll
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    Whattt ! What does Montreal have to do with anything?, The majority of Montrealers Speak English more then french!

Not me tho, ENglish is for wankers.

Geez
  • oobersli
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    just saw it and it was pretty good. The humor really was spread out for the ages.. The 3d was used well to the point I didn't even stop to think about it when I saw it. The story was perfect for a movie, since it would have been a tad rushed and out of place for a tv episode. There were a ton of kids in the theatre with the rest of their family and everyone laughed and seemed to have fun, so I believe the movie has done a great job.
  • aesir
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    b1ll, we all know you dont speak english and illiterate.

All your posts are the result of you just randomly mashing buttons
  • Jeff Parrott
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    I agree with Daz on the 3d bits. It was like watching Futurama with a coating of Simpsons on top. I'm a huge fan and that really bothered me. They used 3d in the tv show the last few episodes of last season. But that has never been a staple of the Simpsons. It's been hordes of Korean animators. I think they just should have went that route.
  • AstroZombie
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    My mother-in-law was here visiting so this is the first movie the wife and I have gotten out to see since Draven was born 8 months ago.

I absolutely LOVED it. It was everything I could have wanted in a Simpson's movie; a really good, 90 minute, commercial free Simpson's episode. I also really appreciated the fact that they didn't go overboard with the language or themes even though they could have since it was a movie.

Bear in mind I am a big Simpson's fanboy though and still watch the series weekly. It would have had to be pretty terrible for me to have not enjoyed it.
  • bounchfx
    keyser - go see it.

I'm an avid fan of the first 9-10 seasons (well, we will see if I like 10.. it comes out in a week!) I used to watch it all of the time on tv.. but the last like.. 8 years of it I didn't really care for and frankly stayed away from due to its.. not as good nature.. I didn't want to ruin the series for me.

but I went and saw the movie, and it was way better than I was expecting.. i really didn't think it would turn out to be that good, but it was great.

recommended for any fan of the simpsons

edit*: and I agree, the animation didn't feel anything like simpsons.. but I guess they wanted to pull out all the stops since it was a movie.. personally I enjoy the flat colors of classic simpsons.. just FEELs like simpsons to me
  • aesir
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    gotta say, that was pretty good.

ending was epic.
  • Vermeulen
    Offline / Send Message
    Vermeulen polycounter lvl 18
    Great movie, but my only problem is it seemed so fast paced.
    There was some direction change at some point in the series, where the jokes were quicker and the plot moved faster, and the movie had more of a new simpsons style than the old classic ones.
  • xysdf
    Offline / Send Message
    xysdf polycounter lvl 11
    watched it today and want to say: have not found any bad chokes, it was just pure entertainment from the first minute.
  • AstroZombie
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    I just wanted to put in my .02¢ regarding the use of 3d in the movie:

I've been watching The Simpson's since they were a short on the Tracy Ullman show:
    Simpsons_on_Tracey_Ullman.png

The snazzier graphics didn't bother me a bit wink.gif
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    spider pig theme song
    has some stills from the movie but nothing you haven't seen in the trailers.
  • MikeF
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    Saw it last night, it was alright, but nothing to write home about. It was pretty short too, even for an animated movie, only about an hour and 15.
  • sal_manilla
    Offline / Send Message
    sal_manilla polycounter lvl 18
    If you're a fan then it's worth seeing on the big screen. It's Simpson's FUN on a grand scale..that's all. If you're not a fan, why post? It's not meant to be some Epic Spielbergian accomplishment...just a gotdam cartoon. Sheesh!
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    i personally felt like they were trying to take a leaf off of the family guy tree with some of the jokes in there.

overall the movie is overhyped. it was a good way to kill 2 hours, but at teh same time, i can think of things i would have rather been doing at the time.
  • Wells
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    I quite enjoyed it. Some great gags - a few very unexpected.
  • Carl Brannstrom
    It's lame, lame I tell you.

It was like a Disney movie with the Simpsons characters.
  • sal_manilla
    Offline / Send Message
    sal_manilla polycounter lvl 18
    "The Simpsons, longest-running cartoon on American prime-time network television, chronicles the animated adventures of Homer Simpson and his family. Debuting on the FOX network in 1989, critically acclaimed, culturally cynical and economically very successful, The Simpsons helped to define the satirical edge of prime-time television in the early 1990s and was the single most influential program in establishing FOX as a legitimate broadcast television network."

corv, I think you may have missed something. tongue.gif
  • Snowfly
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    He must be refering to the bedroom scene laugh.gif
  • indian_boy
    i really loved it. it was great, the only limitation was that a story-line prevented to be COMPLETELY goofy a la Simpsons tv show.
  • Rhinokey
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    Completely disapointed, felt watered down and the story was so forced in. I didnt laugh as much as i do watching re runs of any of the 30 minute tv shows. almost every scene felt detached from the one before it. did not flow at all. one of the few movies i wish i could go back in time and avoid.
  • Asherr
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    "The Simpsons, longest-running cartoon on American prime-time network television, chronicles the animated adventures of <u>Homer Simpson</u> and his family."

[/ QUOTE ]

^^^my empahsis^^^
    i think this shows a bit of why people think the show has gone downhill. the show used to be mostly about Bart getting into and out of trouble. then it became a show about how stupid Homer is. admittedly i haven't watched the show in years but the previews for the movie seem to support that it's still about how stupid Homer is.