Home General Discussion

Modo 601

Replies

• MrOneTwo
    Offline / Send Message
    MrOneTwo polycounter lvl 12
    Xoliul wrote: »
    I think the Cut in Max is shit anyway, when i use it, it leads to bad geometry all the time. Much prefer to avoid it, instead using Swiftloop and Connect on vertices.

I'm thinking I should try this program. I really feel like I should learn something else than Max, as that feels like a sinking ship to me at times...

I found out that in max if you use cut tool once and try to do this again in the same Edit Poly modifier it won't cut where it should. You need to add new Edit Poly modifier and it starts working again... once :> . Max you so crazy!
  • eskinto
    @MrOneTwo Yeah, that's a nice workaround, it's just not very fast, goes like this for me:

1. Switch to faces - losing your previous face selection :( (because you are probably in vertex when you want to cut/connect vertices/edges)
    2. Paint the face selection - so it doesn't cut through the back geometry
    3. Turn on Snapping - for me it automatically turns on Angle Snap, I guess it can be automated on the tool pipe
    4. Cut-snap to vertex - In a straight line only, if you want other shape because you are cutting a curved surface, you need to drop/pick up the tool again)
    5. Turn off snapping
    6. Weld/move vertex to where you want them

I'd like to be able to do it in a couple of steps if possible

@Ben Apuma It works with fullcut, thanks

But you need a face selection, and also you have no control over where the cut goes through, at all, which means a lot of clean up, how do you deal with that?
  • StephenVyas
    Offline / Send Message
    StephenVyas polycounter lvl 18
    Those rigging tools are quite nice!
    I especially like the automated ability to add joints in the middle of the model, based on the difference in distance between the mesh vertices/polys. This is awesome! That's one level of annoyance being removed from a riggers daily grind

Oh, and the locking of the nodes for ik?! Brilliant! The way they're setup and released is intuitive and seem quick&easy to use. Maya/3dsmax/xsi should be taking notes of these features

Up till now I hadn't heard of Modo, but this looks like it has tons of potential
    Time to get my hands on the demo and play around
  • Bek
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Legend of Grimrock was built (mostly?) with modo 501, XSI for rigging:
    Article 1
    Article 2

Just one recent case of its use for low poly stuff.
    PolyHertz wrote: »
    Little things like the inability to cut across multiple faces
    Could you elaborate? From my use in 501 you can slice across multiple faces, depending on your selection. Does cut != slice ?
  • Ben Apuna
    @eskinto:

My memory is hazy, it's been a long time since I last used Modo. Anyway, it might be that I did my cutting in orthographic viewports. I don't think it's technically necessary, but it allowed me to see precisely where the cuts would be placed.

As for cleanup I think I had a script or macro set up to do something like this:

1. switch to edge selection mode.
    2. select all.
    3. add selection to a temp selection set.
    4. deselect all.
    5. switch back to vertex selection mode (for the knifeScreen cut selection made prior to running the script).
    6. make the cut using knifeScreen.
    7. switch to edge selection mode.
    *. might need a deselect all here.
    8. reselect all edges from temp selection set.
    9. select inverse.

That gave me the new edge loop created by knifeScreen which I could simply deselect the edges I wanted to keep and delete the rest.
  • eskinto
    @Ben Apuna You still need to specify a limiting preselection though, not something that can be scripted

I don't think that's a proper solution either way, I'd like if Luxology updated the modeling toolset a bit, some of the tools date from 2006

thank god for Seneca's scripts
  • Blaizer
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    Yeah, i think the same, they should update the modeling toolset. I'm still using 302 because the newer versions does not give anything else. With a few scripts i have a better toolset.
  • funk
    Offline / Send Message
    funk polycounter lvl 11
    Another modo user here checking out polycount. Personally I'm pretty happy with 601, but I hope to see more tools/features geared towards game dev in 701.
  • Prophet
    Offline / Send Message
    Prophet polycounter lvl 11
    Anyone here as a proper Export Selected script?
  • warinmysky
    I've recently been introduced to not only modo 601 (and loving it), but also PACK which is one of their product design add-ons. Anyway, there is a cool feature in it called 'Snap Shot'. When it's run it: 1.) Saves the scene 2.) Duplicates currently selected mesh and 3.) Creates a folder in the same location as the saved scene and inside it, saves a preset of the selected mesh.

It however, appears that you can only do that through their own 'My Designs' folder within PACK presets based on whatever config they've written for that specific add-on.

I was wondering if anybody knew of a way to write a config that does this in a folder of my choosing? I much prefer non destructive workflows like this and would love to be able to incorporate this into my own workflow!
  • WarrenM
    funk

Same here. I love 601 to death. If they added some proper smoothing group support I don't think I would need another modeling tool for the rest of my days...