Home General Discussion

Cinema 4d anyone?

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
JamesTKirk polycounter lvl 8
I wonder does anyone use Cinema 4d? It looks that they've been really improving polygonal modeling lately. I really like latest videos. I believe cheaper Lite or Prime can be nice alternative to Maya LT and Modo.

Replies

• Kraftwerk
    Offline / Send Message
    Kraftwerk polycounter lvl 18
    Use Cinema 4D since r12, most solid thing i know no idea why the game industry don't supports it more.
  • JamesTKirk
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, it looks like it has everything needed like workplanes, modern beveling algorithms, splines, symmetry modifiers, unwrapping tools at decent price.
    Maya and max are clearly too expensive for indies and freelancers I just don't get why people try modo, maya lt even blender but completely ignore Cinema.
    Is it being used in Germany only? I think Crytek was using Cinema at some point.
  • WarrenM
    Modo is at least nicely priced ... Cinema 4D looks priced to directly compete with Max, which puts it WAY out of the "I'll give this a shot" range. That's one point against it, anyway ...

And the upgrades are $995 from the previous version. It's a wallet pounder.

Then there's the mental aspect of it. You're starting out and want to learn a 3D app. All you peers and friends use Max ... why would you deviate and learn Cinema 4D instead? I mean, you MIGHT, but most people are going to want to learn together and there are vastly more resources and tutorials for Max.

Although I hear Cinema 4D is very nice. As a professional, I'll probably give it a run the next time I have a block of unused vacation time or something.
  • JamesTKirk
    Offline / Send Message
    I can understand why 3ds max or Maya are being chosen over Cinema. I'm thinking of a cheaper personal/indie license.
    Cinema 4d Prime priced at $995 with $250 yearly subscription. This is cheaper than modo. And a bit pricier than Maya Lt with no export limit and probably better modeling tools.
  • pior
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    I'd be willing to try it as I heard good things about it. Is there any video out there showing some skilled polygonal modeling being done in real time ?
  • SonicBlue
    Offline / Send Message
    SonicBlue polycounter lvl 10
    I think there's not a real reason, probably because its .OBJ exporter sucks, and people would end up without the normal informations, some says because it doesn't have smoothing groups, Maya and XSI doesn't have them too, they use the edge break function, also :http://www.stocktextures.com/archive/articles/c4dtut/index.html

Now there is xNormal, but before, how did you manage highpoly to lowpoly bake?

With the newly developed tools, like Marmoset, Quixel Suite, Substance Designer, you don't even need a capable viewport, as you can model in Cinema 4D and then assemble the finished with the help of these tools.

This is in theory, I have to test this myself.

Someone who actually do game art could maybe explain better why is not used today.

And now the price, the Lite version is only available inside After Effects CC, the entry level version (Prime) is $995 on the official MAXON shop, it doesn't have some functions but as long as you are not rendering, who cares, no Sculpt module, this is a problem only if you use its tools even if you are not sculpting (as I do sometimes), the sculpting is not powerful as Zbrush or 3D-Coat. No MoGraph, so no Clone tool (that I use extensively) and finally, no Hair, but who cares.

For example:
    Cinema 4D R15 Prime - $995
    Substance Designer 4 - $99 (indie license)
    3D-Coat V4 - $379

This leads to the question, if you are going to use a non Industry Standard tool, why not use Blender and save a lot of money?
  • inflict3d
    Offline / Send Message
    inflict3d polycounter lvl 7
    It's good app for motion design modeling (e.g. broadcasting) in conjunction with After Effects.(Cineware is great).
    Most of advert studios use cinema 4d in their pipeline, its like a standart in modiz industry.
  • DEElekgolo
    Offline / Send Message
    DEElekgolo interpolator
    I usually hear about C4D being involved for some people's graphic designs or motion graphic stuff. Haven't really heard it being used for many other "scenes".
  • SonicBlue
    Offline / Send Message
    pior wrote: »
    I'd be willing to try it as I heard good things about it. Is there any video out there showing some skilled polygonal modeling being done in real time ?

I've looked around and there's not much, I've learned with some basic tutorials showing the tools and the rest from watching other software tutorials, XSI works very similar to Cinema 4D.

Anyway:

Headphones (incomprehensible language)
    http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLA6EBD70F4E669008
    (part 5 and 7 can be found on the right)

Self Powering Bulb (3 parts, long)
    http://vimeo.com/72300656

Slow videos but really informative
    http://vimeo.com/archvis/videos

Old 3D Fluff tutorial series
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6gHSp6tBWQ"]3D Fluff Volume 1, Part 1/3 - Vase - YouTube[/ame]

Various speed modeling (some are really nice, e.g. Airship; JDownloader 2 is handy to download them)
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AwpAntza/videos

Alien Guard series (slightly speed up and unfortunately, blurred to death)
    http://vimeo.com/98428282

I found others too, but well, better don't waste your time watching them.
  • pior
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Interesting - there seems to be a certain clarity to the UI, and the tool interaction looks efficient. Now of course I'll have to dig further since the devil really is in the detail when it comes to 3d apps (is the component selection efficient, how does the camera behave, and so on) but this is encouraging.
  • Ruz
    Online / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    Many of my clients use it, seems like a decent enough program.
  • Kovac
    Offline / Send Message
    Kovac polycounter lvl 18
    The (advertising) company I'm at has had me using it the past 2 years. For most modeling tools and general CG it's a great package with awesome rendering capabilities. On the flip side, the material system and everything in between is a big headache when bringing it into Unity or other 3D packages (UV data corruption / animation keyframes not baking via FBX exporter) .

As said above, the exporters are rubbish and they really haven't pushed too far into making things work with games. I've used R12 up to 14, maybe R15 offers some better tools for that side of things.

The slightly native Python integration/Xpresso scripting gives it a great push on the automation tools, but I still stick with Max if I'm under the gun and want something to reliably export to Unity without quirks. Other things missing like Preserve UVs, ring/loop dot selection, and simple edge removal (without removing the actual face) are also reasons I have had trouble fully committing; though this could now be in R15.
  • SonicBlue
    Offline / Send Message
    If by ring/loop dot you mean this:

l5Byz5P.pngmZIsvuU.png

is it possible with this plugin:

http://code.vonc.fr/?a=23

To remove an Edge use the Dissolve command (I've assigned it to CTRL+BackSpace).

There's also some other nice stuff.

I don't really think there is a way to preserve UV at the moment, for the animations I don't really know.

If they kept the same release date as the previous version, in a month+ they should release R16, I'm waiting for a proper material node editor, let's wait and see if they address some of these problems.
  • evilblah
    Offline / Send Message
    evilblah polycounter lvl 18
    I currently use C4D for all my modeling, texturing, and animation. I use to use 3DS for about 10 years and when I switched to C4D it took me about 1 week to be as comfortable with it as I was in Max.

I am currently in the process for doing some game modeling and texturing tutorials for Maxon (the guys that make C4D) and will let you guys know when I post them.

Cinema 4D is a great tool and constantly evolving. Now having great character tools and full on sculpting has definitely stepped its game up. I agree, the price is a little steep but they have the Maxon Service Agreement which you purchase with the product that lets you get the next version free as long as you keep renewing the MSA yearly. Still, it is pretty steep.

I am currently working on my next game using Cinema 4D and it is a full 3d platformer. I will start a thread and post some work as soon as I feel more comfortable showing it (which will be pretty soon as we just submitted it to Indiecade).
  • Shrike
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    I use cinema 4d for all my rendering and game stuff. You have to set up your own workspace but if you have that its great and a lot less frustrating and clumsy and buggy and slow that is 3ds. On the other hand its missing features that 3DS has per example. The biggest downside is that the UV tools are really lacking, and it dosnt have real normal editing, and there must be a trick to make more accurate edge loops somewhere but for the rest I love it.
    Built in sculpting on mudbox level, bodypaint, everything is so convenient and looks good and feels right.

I hope R16 brings neu UV tools, chances are good, but nobody can tell for sure.
  • evilblah
    Offline / Send Message
    @Shrike - I agree that the UV tools are a little cumbersome but hopefully this video tutorial I am putting together will help clear a lot of that up. It's still very much a brute force process but there are things to make your life easier that I show.
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    I used cinema 4d to create ios games for 2 years until we all started using maya instead a year ago. Maya definitely has more features and modelling tools than c4d R12. For example, maya does nice quick baking of lighting with plenty of useful options and bakes to vertex. Maya also allows me to use vertex painting tools and maya seems to have really stable exporters to obj and fbx where I had issues with c4d doing exports into certain formats and used to resort to dae instead. Cinema 4D has a much cleaner interface and a better layer/outliner window by far.
  • Thomas P.
    Offline / Send Message
    Thomas P. polycounter lvl 14
    Having used Cinema4D for over 10 year I think I can chime in here. I have had very good contacts to Maxon at some point. I used to be a beta tester as well. For years and years I have tried to tell them to do something for "Game Artist" but always got little to no reply or even worse got told that they have little interest in the game market and would rather leave it to Autodesk (maybe they changed their mind lately?)

In any case, this is one of the reasons I left it behind and am now using Maya LT. Cinema 4D is a bit overprized for what it actually offers. Bodypaint and UV tools are extremly outdated and cumbersome. Vertex paint... not to be found. Vert/Edge smoothing ... nope. Try creating and exporting 2 UV maps for example. Good luck. FBX is updated only ever so often because it's not their "file format" (I was told) so it's not a priority to them.

So needless to say I am not impressed with this company. Modo and Maya or Maya LT and 3DS Max are much better alternatives and for the most part industry proven (even though Modo has a lot of work to do on the game art front).

Just my 2 cents on that matter.
  • SonicBlue
    Offline / Send Message
    For the UV, at least on UE4, there's a solution (I can't check if it works, because I don't have UE4)

https://forums.unrealengine.com/showthread.php?1861-Tutorial-How-to-proper-export-a-FBX-scene-from-Cinema-4D-to-U4-with-2-UV-channels

I don't like the UV tools too, but I'd like to see if with this: http://code.vonc.fr/?a=56 they get better.

There is a Vertex Painting mode, it's called "Set Weight Tool...", you select all the polygons of your object (or nothing, as it seems that this doesn't influence the area affected by the painting), go to Select an chose Set Weight Tool..., a pop up appears, leave it to 0% and Mode to "Set".

A Vertex Map Tag should appear, double click it to activate the actual painting tool.

gW40ZPy.png

It supports multiple Tags (so multiple materials) and works in conjunction with the Vertex Map "Effects" found on the Material Editor.

What did you mean with Vertex/Edge smoothing? Some examples?

For the other stuff is it undeniable that those are major issue for Cinema 4D to exchange assets with other software (I did a search and there are a lot of complains).

Their problems are not only in the realtime area, the lack of a node material editor is a major problem, why the people who do renders are appealed to use their outdated system (try to link and keep updated masks, textures or worst, procedural materials to all the channels that need them) when you have 3ds Max/Maya with the ease of nodes and even V-Ray 3.0? (VRAYforC4D is still 2.55) CmNodes is not a solution as it crashes too much to be used, and renders and updated preview for ALL the cm materials you have every time you change something.

Despite liking it for for modeling, stability and general usage, I'm starting to hit a wall of "the application won't let me do that", probably for me, R16 would be the last chance I'll gave them.
  • thomasp
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    Thomas P. wrote: »
    In any case, this is one of the reasons I left it behind and am now using Maya LT.

in that case you are hopefully prepared to jump ship again - or upgrade - when the time comes! maya (and max) game-specific or low-end versions have come and gone and generally only stayed around for a few years each.
  • Shrike
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Thomas P. wrote: »
    Having used Cinema4D for over 10 year I think I can chime in here. I have had very good contacts to Maxon at some point. I used to be a beta tester as well. For years and years I have tried to tell them to do something for "Game Artist" but always got little to no reply or even worse got told that they have little interest in the game market and would rather leave it to Autodesk (maybe they changed their mind lately?)

In any case, this is one of the reasons I left it behind and am now using Maya LT. Cinema 4D is a bit overprized for what it actually offers. Bodypaint and UV tools are extremly outdated and cumbersome. Vertex paint... not to be found. Vert/Edge smoothing ... nope. Try creating and exporting 2 UV maps for example. Good luck. FBX is updated only ever so often because it's not their "file format" (I was told) so it's not a priority to them.

So needless to say I am not impressed with this company. Modo and Maya or Maya LT and 3DS Max are much better alternatives and for the most part industry proven (even though Modo has a lot of work to do on the game art front).

Just my 2 cents on that matter.

I was pretty pissed in the past because I though there was no smoothing in cinema and I always used 3DS to apply smoothing groups, then some guy here told me that you can simply export the phong smoothing in FBX and that acts the same. Also you can apply 2 UV tags and then you have 2 UV maps basically

Other question, does anyone know how to insert loops that are more controllable ? I always use the knife tool (loop & edge) and the function to lock the distance dosnt seem to work so I make them all by eye which is what actually upsets me the most in cinema
  • SonicBlue
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike wrote: »
    I was pretty pissed in the past because I though there was no smoothing in cinema and I always used 3DS to apply smoothing groups, then some guy here told me that you can simply export the phong smoothing in FBX and that acts the same. Also you can apply 2 UV tags and then you have 2 UV maps basically

Other question, does anyone know how to insert loops that are more controllable ? I always use the knife tool (loop & edge) and the function to lock the distance dosnt seem to work so I make them all by eye which is what actually upsets me the most in cinema

Depends of what kind of precision you need, there are two ways to do that with the Knife Tool.

1) While in Loop Mode press SHIFT to lock the cut, is it working when you can't move the cut, at this point, you can insert a % value in the Offset box.

2) You want to make a loop cut (or multiple) at n cm from a point/edge; select Plane mode with the correct Plane coordinates and adjust the Offset, Cuts and Spacing.

Offset it's the distance from the point under the cut, use the Point Snapping to get the cut at the right place, Cuts are the numbers of cuts you want, at the distance setted into the Spacing field.

The other way is to select a ring (U~B) or a series of edges manually and do an Edge Cut (M~F).

There's also the Path Mode where you select a series of Faces and the cut will follow what you have selected, in the same way as the Loop cut, by pressing SHIFT, you can input the percentage value you want.
  • evilblah
    Offline / Send Message
    Just chiming in on Edge Cut (M~F) if you activate the tool, turn off the Create N-gons check box on the attributes manager (dumb default). Then if you hold the LMB when you cut you can use the CTRL modifier and slide your mouse to move your cut along the edges. If you LMB hold and just move the mouse, you can add addition cuts to your object and if you have 2 or more cuts (while still holding LMB) use the Shift modifier to spread the cuts apart or bring them closer together.

The CTRL and Shift key modifiers make the Edge Cut tool amazing and I never use the knife tool for dividing geometry anymore. Also, the Edge Cut tool allow you to keep a clean mesh flow by cutting multiple edges cleanly at once.
  • juhanaidou27
    now i am learning cinema 4d in my course instead of maya. and i think i prefer it this way, cinema 4d is most likely the same as maya though maya produces much nicer quality anyway its like learning how to use microsoft word and then transform to use excel. (dunno, something like that.)
    why not watch the cinema 4d r15 preview for sure you'll be interested
  • Thomas P.
    Offline / Send Message
    Thomas P. polycounter lvl 14
    Having been a beta tester for C4D in the past and a user for 15 years I think I have a pretty good understanding of what the app offers and where it's heading and when I say that Maxon has little to no interest in the "Game Industry" then you can either chose to believe me or ignore it.

For years I tried to convince them that they need to update/fix certain issues in C4D to appeal to the realtime/game artists out there which after all is a big big market. I created 2 games using C4D but ultimately gave up on it due to too many issues with FBX and missing features or outdated parts.

They are far more interested in Motion Graphics (Mograph) and After Effects (and the exchange between C4D and AE) than anything hence the recent announcements from them. Granted, they have the best Mograph tools out there I think. If you're into that, then C4D is a good choice.

I am now a happy Maya LT user and not looking back.
  • JamesTKirk
    Offline / Send Message
    I say we wait for r16. It should be revealed very soon.
    Previous couple of releases were pretty nice in regards to modeling.
  • Brokep
    I've been using c4d for about a month, learned the basics + ways to build low poly objects mainly (that's what I'm mostly interested in) and I also mastered some basic character animations. But what I really wanna know is, how could sb create a simple range attack - hit for example like in dota? Are there any plugins?
  • JamesTKirk
    Offline / Send Message
    R16 got announced.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFavxUCB7Ac"]Cinema 4D R16 PolyPen - YouTube[/ame]
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YNpcxrYu94"]Cinema 4D R16 Symmetry - YouTube[/ame]
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Mzym-HZ9IE"]What's new in R16? - YouTube[/ame]
  • Shrike
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Omg thanks James, totally makes my day

Aw yiss

Polypen looks intense and super powerful but so out of my comfort zone, have to step up my game

The materials look ridiculousy good, but the shader really needed improvements

Sculpting improvements nice

Bevel tag, this is just win, wanting that so badly

Ive been hoping for a big UV overhaul as it is C4Ds biggest weakness
    but that didnt come, but they wrote about UV improvements and some things in that regard, so maybe we get pleasantly surprised
    UV peeler for cylindrical objects, im not sure but it sounds something I needed very badly

Oh and those content browser things are insane. Wow

At R11 times I felt limited and dumb for using all my time on C4D instead
    of programs like Max, but now where I know the others and around R13 I started feeling better and better about C4D and now Im really happy I learned it and its future looks great.
  • fatihG_
    Offline / Send Message
    fatihG_ polycounter lvl 14
    Instaboner.

Polypen looks awesome, cant wait to try it out.
    I am just curious though, what is so cumbersome about uving in C4d?

UV was/is my UVing tool whenever I work on characters/organics.
    Just curious how you guys go about UVing stuff in C4D.

When I UV stuff in C4D it's basically the standard workflow of LSDM unwrapping.
    Flat projection(frontal/camera) > selecting edges> cutting them> unwrap.
    Pretty easy imo.

edit--

Damn. That content library stuff looks pretty cool as well. It would be awesome if you could set some "primitives" like that up yourself as well.
  • kaoselite
    Hi guys...i' m learnig C4D by two years so far and it's incredible....i' m in a DEV team creating a game, PC exclusive, the majority of the difficulties i' ve founded i resolved that (sorry for my english i actually know that in some parts is bad but i can' t do more about this), tryed to switch so many time on 3DS max but 3DS max it's a heavy brick of non user friendly at all...you found issues at every corner that mine apprendists, i found Cinema 4D more satisfating, and i' m learning and learning so much quick, i tryed to switch to max because i fell uncomfortable to see people around me and in the game industry using all maya or 3ds max, any advice? shoul i stay with Cinema 4D? i think have so much to offer and probably will have an outstanding future, you can C&C my work if you want by visiting two links:

- https://www.facebook.com/pages/Xenus-Games/247129598759566?ref_type=bookmark

- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQlaobeIwKY&list=UUI4WeXQK7RUKyzhSu0l_5-g
  • kaoselite
    This post is dead? D:
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    I had to switch to maya for work, it is not as user friendly and the learning curve is steep and frustrating but it is very powerful.
  • hopkins1991
    hi everyone I am new to this site as I decided to take a new step to gain better skills at cinema 4d as I am in my second year of my game design degree and I get no helpful feedback from other people in the group. I have attached some of my models for you all to see to see if you can point me in the right direction. thanks in advance.

[IMG]http://www.polycount.com/forum/C:\Users\Ben\Documents\BA Games Design and Development\Level 4\Semeter two Yr 4\3D Studies\Gunblade WIP pics\GunBladeUVandNormalfinal2.png[/IMG] [IMG]http://www.polycount.com/forum/C:\Users\Ben\Documents\BA Games Design and Development\Level 4\Semeter two Yr 4\3D Studies\Boat W.I.P\Boat uv1.png[/IMG] [IMG]http://www.polycount.com/forum/C:\Users\Ben\Documents\3D Models\Construction Site\construction site final.png[/IMG]
  • Kraftwerk
    Offline / Send Message
    Kraftwerk polycounter lvl 18
    hi everyone I am new to this site as I decided to take a new step to gain better skills at cinema 4d as I am in my second year of my game design degree and I get no helpful feedback from other people in the group. I have attached some of my models for you all to see to see if you can point me in the right direction. thanks in advance.

[IMG]http://www.polycount.com/forum/C:\Users\Ben\Documents\BA Games Design and Development\Level 4\Semeter two Yr 4\3D Studies\Gunblade WIP pics\GunBladeUVandNormalfinal2.png[/IMG] [IMG]http://www.polycount.com/forum/C:\Users\Ben\Documents\BA Games Design and Development\Level 4\Semeter two Yr 4\3D Studies\Boat W.I.P\Boat uv1.png[/IMG] [IMG]http://www.polycount.com/forum/C:\Users\Ben\Documents\3D Models\Construction Site\construction site final.png[/IMG]

Dead picture links, also maybe start an own thread in the proper forum would be a good idea.
  • rui_mac
    Just found this post and read on one of the comments that vertex painting is missing from Cinema 4D. Yes, like some said, there is Vertex Painting that acts like a kind of soft selection that can be used in compound materials using the Vertex Map shader.
    But it is not the same as real Vertex Painting or Poly Painting, like zBrush calls it.
    Because of that, I created the PolyPaint set of plugins.

They allow for the loading, saving, creation and editing of true Vertex/poly painting on any editable mesh.
    OBJ files saved in zBrush/3DCoat or meshlab format may include RGB values attached to the vertexes. And my plugin reads those values. It also allows to save .OBJ files (in zBrush format) that include that RGB information. The same for .FBX files (in version 6.x, ASCII format).

But true Vertex/Poly painting can be created from scratch too.

Check out these videos I created while developing the plugins:

https://vimeo.com/98089097
    https://vimeo.com/98694731
    https://vimeo.com/99060291

And this is the promo video:

https://vimeo.com/106097060

I'm getting ready to produce a longer demo movie, showing how all tools works.
    So, something that was missing in Cinema 4D is now available :-)

Rui Batista
  • outlinegorilla
    As a student we use maya in school. i learned for 1 year.
    then i tried cinema 4d... and uau !!
    what a difference.
    i think cinema 4d is so intuitive, and know with the Cmotion and Sculpting.... adding to mograph and if you can had Xparticles ... is the best
  • rui_mac
    Just to let you guys know that PolyPaint now also imports/exports in FBX 7.2 format.
    So, integration with Unity is much easier.
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    well done making a vert colour plugin, Im sure loads of people need that! :) I find your website puts me off a bit though, reminds me of a 1990s infomercial and I dont know what the difference between base and pro is at a glance.
  • dsenter
    Offline / Send Message
    dsenter polycounter lvl 3
    I've been using C4D for about a year now. We use it for motion design and architectural visualization at work. I'm currently testing using it for use with UE4.

I love it, I used to use Maya and 3ds Max. I think C4D is extremely intuitive and easy to use. It has some great modeling tools and the motion design stuff is especially fun if you're into that stuff. Also, the material editor is pretty amazing, love that reflectance channel.
  • Shrike
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Hey, as there is no C4D subforum or anything and this is probably one of the easiest things to find through the search function , Ill post this here,

I uploaded my modeling palette here for free:

http://www.flowfiregames.com/#!modelingpal/c16fm
    edit: hmm subpage dosnt load ? you can get there from here tho: http://www.flowfiregames.com/

c4dpalette.png
    (Ignore text in the middle, theres no C4D icon, only a download icon)

It has like pretty much everything you want in a condensed package, very helpful for beginners
    and saves a lot of time if you don't know all shortcuts, as Maxon hides everything in menus.

The download also includes a shortcut file, with 3DS MAX style navigation.
    HF!
  • Bluestemos
    Offline / Send Message
    Bluestemos polycounter lvl 5
    I've been using Cinema for about 4 years now, and am pretty glad I actually chose it. Sure some of the features could be better, like the basic UV tools and object baking. The ability to bake from a high poly to low poly model is also missing (but that can be fixed with xNormal), as well as a real-time or GPU renderer.

Modeling in C4D is fast - when you get used to it and learn the useful shortcuts. It allows for easy reference image setups and a greatly customizable UI, which is really fast to use. The sculpting tools work relatively well - but aren't up to par with something like Zbrush.

Even though its main focuses are visualization and MoGraph, there's no reason not to use it for games as well.
  • fdfxd2
    Offline / Send Message
    fdfxd2 interpolator
    C4D's modelling tools aren't all that great
    C4D's UV mapping tools are arguably the worst in the CG industry

Overall, Cinema 4D is not a game industry oriented package,
    It pales in comparison to Modo 10, 3ds max and even blender when it comes to that field.

But it doesn't matter though
    Because the game industry is not maxon's audience
    the Motion Graphics industry is, and that's something Cinema 4D shines at

With it's sleek and easy to learn and use UI

The fact that once you hit render and add a couple of options into the render options, the image just works.
    There's no noise to worry about(most of the time) 

It's modifiers are easy to work with

It's Hierarchy system is fucking amazing

And that's okay.

But why use C4D when you can use MODO 10 or even blender?  They're both cheaper, also Modo is easier to model with from what I hear.
  • kanga
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    I had to teach C4D for about 4 years and didnt like it much but only because I am used to Max. Students take to C4D quickly, much faster than other packages. The rigging was a pain in the butt but that has probably improved. It seems that ad companies over here use cinema primarily for motion graphics. At the time the cinema community was very helpful but quite small which was not ideal. I dunno, if I was going to step over I would try out an app like Blender first.