Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Interiour scene UDK

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
SanderDL polycounter lvl 7
This is an interiour scene I've been working on for a while. It's in UDK as the title says. I think it's pretty much done but I thought I would post it up for some final critics, as this will be a portfolio piece

Beauty shot:

interiourscene.jpg

props:

interiorprops.jpg

Some of the props are a bit out of date as I fixed quite a few things here and there. So bare with my I'll redo a prop screen soon.

btw does anyone have any suggestions on how to make a quick display of your used texture maps?

cheers!

Replies

• NinthJake
    The props are looking fine as far as I can see but is that clouds outside the windows? Must be a very high house :P
  • danshewan
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    I like it - the lighting is quite good, and the overall mood is warm and quite cozy. However, the flooring transition is quite jarring, and doesn't seem to have much of a purpose. I think it'd be better to have the parquet floor across the entirety of the scene.

Also, the ceiling (from what we can see of it) looks like it could use a little love - the area above the windows, especially. Maybe add a curtain rod, and leave a little space between the curtains and the ceiling. Also not sure about the difference in the diffuse on the window section wallpaper - again, doesn't seem to serve a purpose, and looks a little off.

Other than those minor things, really nice - good work.
  • Dismembered
    Offline / Send Message
    Dismembered polycounter lvl 9
    Well the first thing I notice are the small things that, to me, would make this scene believable. There is no curtain rail or hint of one, it looks as if the curtains go straight to the ceiling. In many fancy houses, like the one you have depicted here, and with walls that are painted/wallpapered you would have crown molding. And also along the seem of the floor there at the seem of the hardwood and the linoleum there would be some kind of separator to help protect and hide the seem. It also looks as if the chair molding is to low on the wall.

Keep up the good work.
  • haiddasalami
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Curtains need to be more drapery than a solid piece also the floor transition is too extreme in my opinion. Maybe have the wood pattern across the floor.
  • dlx
    Nice props. I love the mood of the scene.

The floor reflection is great. It would be nice to see some of that in the window glass as well.

I've been looking at a lot of Victorian architecture reference lately so a few things stand out to me.

- The curtains probably shouldn't billow out that much at the bottom. They should hang more straight down from where they are tied back.

- The room proportions are kind of small. I would raise the chair rail and raise the ceiling. I would definitely add some kind of trim strip or molding at the top and bottom of the wall.

- As others mentioned, the floor transition is jarring. Maybe use the diamond pattern for one or two rows around the sides of the room and use the other wood in the middle.

- The wallpaper pattern is very large which is making the room seem smaller. I would either make the whole pattern smaller (tile more) or add another level of small detail into the pattern.

- The side of the clock and back of the chair look very dark, like they are not receiving the bounce in light mass. If light mass isn't giving you the softness you need, then you could lighten the dark areas with another small light. Consider making the lightmaps higher resolution too.

Hope that helps. The curtain model could take some time to fix. The other changes would be very easy to do.
  • SanderDL
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments! :)

Some of the props on the picture have smoothing errors. But I'm glad they aren't that noticable.

let me make a small list of things to change:

- Better backdrop
    - Wood pattren across the floor
    - Give the roof some love
    - Litte details like corwn molding and a curtain rail. (maybe window reflection)
    - Look at the dark bits.

The diffuse isn't actually different on the window section. I guess it just looks that way because of the blue ambient light. Perhaps I should change the blue to something brown/orange.

Changing the curtains is a good suggestion but I don't think I'm capable of doing better ones at the moment.

Thanks again!
  • JordanW
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    You should also add some crown molding or something to ease the harsh transition from the wall to the ceiling.

Lighting is very gamey, and has very low contrast. One suggestion would be to reduce ambient light and emphasize the light around the lamp and the light coming in the window, everything feels very evenly lit right now.
  • JohnnySix
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnySix polycounter lvl 16
    What everyone else says.

Things that stood out were the curtains (they don't have a rail, or if you're trying to save polys in the scene, stick them under a pelmet instead maybe?)

Also a picture rail is fairly standard, with the area above it normally painted the same colour as the ceiling.

paintover_4_by_JohnnySix.jpg
  • JasonLavoie
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Wow... I absolutely love the colours in the scene. I've been seeing a couple of new UDK scenes popping up lately, and I've noticed that overall the scene colours have been amazing, really inspirational.

I can't wait to see more.
  • Target_Renegade
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    The above is right, maybe something like this could help the transition:

http://www.creativewoodinteriors.ie/house%20pictures%20002.JPG
  • SanderDL
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's an update:

interiourscene1.jpg

changes:

- Removed the marble tiles. It's now all wood.
    - Added a normal map to the ceiling (sadly hardly visible)
    - Added a crown mold and a curtain rail
    - Changed the lighting (more contrast, less hard shadows)

I'm not sure If I will make a background. I can't really think of a way to make something nice without adding too much new content.
  • KingFurryWobbler
    Offline / Send Message
    KingFurryWobbler polycounter lvl 12
    Waiting for a lighting rebuild, here's my 2 pence:
    Architecturally, there's some things which are giving your scene problems, the main windows have no space to breathe, especially at the top and also they butt up against the wall with the picture, ideally you want space on both side of the window.
    The windows, if they are French windows and are meant to open (I'm presuming so as they reach the floor) they should open and therefore have handles and hinges. Outside would benefit with a balcony and plants to help extend the scene, maybe open a window/door to help tell a story.
    The wood floor doesn't tile and i think would greatly improve if you have some sort of inlaid deco border to add interest.
    The light, being so close to the wall, I'd expect a more interesting pattern cast from the shade.
    The curtains are the main offender for me, they look extremely stuff and fake, having them 12 inches longer and flowing to the floor would also help the flow of the image and blend verticals with horizontals.
    The foreground, also bothers me, maybe an indication of something behind the camera to also help extend the scene.
    A hint of a moon of Eiffel tower or something would help too in the background.
  • Jungsik
    Offline / Send Message
    Jungsik polycounter lvl 6
    your curtains look very unrealistic..
    they're not hanging from anything and the edges are very hard..
  • SHEPEIRO
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    Waiting for a lighting rebuild, here's my 2 pence:
    Architecturally, there's some things which are giving your scene problems, the main windows have no space to breathe, especially at the top and also they butt up against the wall with the picture, ideally you want space on both side of the window.
    The windows, if they are French windows and are meant to open (I'm presuming so as they reach the floor) they should open and therefore have handles and hinges. Outside would benefit with a balcony and plants to help extend the scene, maybe open a window/door to help tell a story.
    The wood floor doesn't tile and i think would greatly improve if you have some sort of inlaid deco border to add interest.
    The light, being so close to the wall, I'd expect a more interesting pattern cast from the shade.
    The curtains are the main offender for me, they look extremely stuff and fake, having them 12 inches longer and flowing to the floor would also help the flow of the image and blend verticals with horizontals.
    The foreground, also bothers me, maybe an indication of something behind the camera to also help extend the scene.
    A hint of a moon of Eiffel tower or something would help too in the background.

QFT

also the panelling looks too short it would come up to just above the furniture top (protects the plaster/wallpaper)

picture frame looks a bit pants and blobby, i would be tempted to go for something simpler

i would put a little more effort into the wallpaper... it fills alot of the image and could really add without distracting, maybe a subtle normal map with the odd bubble, plaster crack (under the wallpaper still gives a subtle shift in lighting) etc etc and maybe look at using a spec map, posh "flock" wallpaper often has a velvet pattern on a slightly metalic colour might look ace in this

your kind of halfway between stylistic and realistic with this one, needs to go a bit in either direction to work properly
  • Saiainoshi
    Offline / Send Message
    Saiainoshi polycounter lvl 9
    I like what you have going on here. My only teeny crit the texture on the floor vs wall is fighting to me. Since most of the stuff in your scene is made of wood, I would go for a solid color carpet or add a simple rug underneath the table to break it up a bit. Cheers! :)
  • SanderDL
    Offline / Send Message
    Update:

InteriourScene3.jpg

Improved the contrast for real this time! I couldn't get the rug to look good under the table so they are now on the sides. Let me know what you think of it.

cheers!
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    looking really nice now, I think you need some subtle secondary lighting on the left or behind the camera somewhere just to bring out the shapes that are currently silhouetted but it could just be my work monitor
  • ParoXum
    Offline / Send Message
    ParoXum polycounter lvl 9
    Nice, maybe just increase the lightmaps size now. ;)
  • Mazvix
    Hey man,

it is coming a long but I really feel like you are being lazy to fix somethings- and I know how that feels, you try to rush things so you can get it done ASAP. It is showing in your work, if you don't like what you are doing then why do it?...

Anyways, few crits:

1) The Lamp's bloom is way too bright interms of the material, if you want to show more light (because I know UDK fake mesh lighting doesn't work unless the material is overly bloomed out) use simple 2 point light- one ontop of the lamp and the other on the bottom, but you can still keep the fake mesh lighting, just reduce its intensity/radius- play around with it.

With that being said have the point light casting shadows, because the bounce light that you have is making the props on the wall look flat/floating.

2) The rug and the vase are not matching the scene: rug is too contrasty and the vase is too clean, maybe add a gradient on it with some speckles or even gold rims on the top and the bottom for example. Think of something!

3) You really need to change that curtain it is aweful...my suggestion is re-do it. The bottom widens out waayyy too much, gravity will pull the curtain down making the fabric come closer together. You also need to add curtain rod- yes all this is more work but hardwork always pays off.

I didn't mean to come off as harsh, but you did ask for crits, good luck man :)
  • SanderDL
    Offline / Send Message
    Harsh critics are the best ones :) It's not really that I'm being lazy. It's just hard to be critical of your own work some time. Especially because I have been working on this piece for a while now.

I'm finally working on a new curtain. Will post up a W.I.P shot of that soon. I'll see if I can adress the other things aswell. But the curtain is on top of list right now.
  • System
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Having looked at the images I feel this last one is a step backwards, infact the first image you posted had the best balance which provided moodyness. Now it's too blown out, lighting is too strong overall.

Here's what I think;

Lighting
    Needs to have variation, try putting some green in there. Also put in a white light with a small falloff to take away some of the blue, or split blue to two lights, one with less saturation.

Tones
    The other thing that is now more obvious because of the higher contrast is wood tones, cherry or red wood doesn't go with ash or oak as in tables and chairs Vs wall panels and clock.

Curtains
    Ditto, they are letting the scene down, some photosourcing would help greatly here. Please add a brass curatin pole too, it would do wonders!

Picture
    A nice brass or gold frame would suit the scene more, also knowing that this is a dining room suggests having a bowl of fruit instead of the trees.

Rugs
    Seem unrequired and are definately taking away attention from the window which should be the main focal point.

Table
    It would be nice to see one of those frilly round table cloths instead of the white square that doesn't read too well or match the tudor style that you have going on.
  • SanderDL
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's a start with the curtain's highpoly:

curtain.jpg
  • Will Faucher
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    Personally, I would go about sculpting the high poly of the curtains in Zbrush or Mudbox. It's much easier to get that nice wavy cloth pattern with a sculpting program than in max. Right now, it looks too perfect. Another advantage of sculpting it, is that you'll get imperfections since your hand is not perfectly steady. Which is a good thing in this case. :)
  • SanderDL
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm doing it in max first, then to zbrush, as I'm afraid I will just get the same results as I had before if I don't.