Home General Discussion

Need Advice

AtomicArmy
polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
AtomicArmy polycounter lvl 10
Hello, I recently joined Polycount to start a sketchbook and to get involved because I'm transferring out of a community college in a year with an AAS Information Systems degree, to pursue an a BA in studio art at a university. However, lately I've been worried about the direction I'm headed, because I don't have a portfolio, I never drew much mainly due to focusing on 3D art (I absolutely love 3D art and game design). Although I purchased drawing books to further my skills, but still...I don't feel confident. Should I keep pursuing IT or take a shot at Studio Art?
I've been recently getting into UDK and currently looking into getting Zbrush, I've also been using 3ds max and Photoshop for about 2 and half years. To clear things up...I just feel like going into Media Arts and Design is out of my league. :(

Replies

• a3sthesia
    Offline / Send Message
    a3sthesia polycounter lvl 10
    oh man! it's always going to feel out of your league! BUT, that's how it always begins! The biggest mistake I ever made was comparing myself to the job requirements and artists I wanted to work with.

My best advice, is to give yourself a break from looking at job requirements, and only look at your favourite artists work as a kind of 5-10 year goal.

In the mean time, give yourself a month or two to just enjoy making the things you love. Draw a picture. Draw it again and again till it looks better. Post it on the forums and ask people to tell you why it sucks, and how to make it better.

Make some 3D models. Make them again and again. Get more advice.

Play with UDK, play with ZBrush. You're in a position to have fun building up that portfolio with all the things you love.

THEN, before you know it, you can start applying for positions.

And don't be hard on yourself. You're getting there.
  • Lombos
    Offline / Send Message
    Lombos polycounter lvl 6
    You should become a dairy farmer.

Not sure what you're going to gain by asking people on a forum to decide what direction you should take in life.

I'm sure Media Arts and Deisgn is currently out of your league, but if you want to do it you can learn it.
  • Kwramm
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    Have a look into the technical artist profession. Seems like you have skills and interests that can get you started. You can still play with artsy topics like shading, lighting, game engines but you'll also need good IT and programming skills. It's the best of both worlds :) There's some info on the polycount Wiki and also on tech-artists.org. Just look around and see if this is something that might interest you.

I came from a smiliar background. I had a diploma in IS but no portfolio at all. Got my BSc from AI (yes, yes, I know AI has a bad reputation and I wouldn't recommend it nowadays), but over 10 years ago I was really happy to find a place like this who took in people with no folio. I learned a lot about 3D, 2D, traditional art. I then worked as character modeler for a while before re-discovering my love for problem solving and programming.

Good luck!
  • chrisradsby
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Hello, I recently joined Polycount to start a sketchbook and to get involved because I'm transferring out of a community college in a year with an AAS Information Systems degree, to pursue an a BA in studio art at a university. However, lately I've been worried about the direction I'm headed, because I don't have a portfolio, I never drew much mainly due to focusing on 3D art (I absolutely love 3D art and game design). Although I purchased drawing books to further my skills, but still...I don't feel confident. Should I keep pursuing IT or take a shot at Studio Art?
    I've been recently getting into UDK and currently looking into getting Zbrush, I've also been using 3ds max and Photoshop for about 2 and half years. To clear things up...I just feel like going into Media Arts and Design is out of my league. :(

Hey man, welcome to Polycount. First and foremost drawing and painting skills won't be your primary skills working in 3D. You can totally make up for it with skills in other areas. Texturing, Composition, color theory, lighting and just regular awesome 3d modelling skills.

So I usually say that people should at least try to follow their dreams, they'll regret it otherwise and I'll say the same to you. It's worth a shot man, but always have something to fall back on.

Just keep working hard and stay focused, you might have to sacrifice a few things in life in order to make it. The competition is high and you really need to go for it if you're going to do it, messing around won't get you there.

Start showing us your work and we'll help you along as best we can :) that's probably the first step, it'll go faster for you if you learn from people already in the industry. :thumbup:

Lombos wrote: »
    You should become a dairy farmer.
    Not sure what you're going to gain by asking people on a forum to decide what direction you should take in life.

Well there is nothing wrong with asking for advice, ever.:) Especially in a forum that has many professionals working in games or media overall. So yeah, with this awesome well of knowledge and a community that helps people get jobs in the industry maybe you should think a little bit more about that specific point.

So with a quote from ICE CUBE: Check yourself before you wreck yourself.

:poly124:
  • Laze

So with a quote from ICE CUBE: Check yourself before you wreck yourself.

:poly124:

Lmfao YES, I think I found you quoting Ice Cube more amusing than I should of.

I agree with what's been said mostly, starting studies in any art form is intimidating because there's such a massive talent pool in each discipline. It's actually quite brutal to become a good artist, it's like you end up thinking you suck because your work is incomparable to the pros, and then you stop practicing for ages. Yet the only way you'll reach that same level of ability as the pros is to practice. Ha.

Bottom line is you should go for it if you genuinely enjoy doing it, dedicate yourself to making it work.
    You've really gotta want it though, I'm finding out more and more just how difficult it is to get up there with the pros.
  • Kwramm
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    You can get very far with practice and determination. The question is, do you enjoy it? If doing art is not 100% what you want then it would be hard in the long run. You really have to explore what is holding you back - lack of interest or lack of confidence? If you get bored by the idea of sketching for hours then you might want to look for a plan B to get into the games industry.

Of course, Polycount is an artists forum, so you will hear a lot of "work harder! work more!" which is of course the best way to become an artist. But if your goal is to just make it into the industry and make games, then there are other ways as well, especially for folks who know some programming or all the technical Unreal intricacies. You really have to find your niche at what you are good at, where your interests lie, and then work on these skills so they fit open positions in the industry.
  • AtomicArmy
    Offline / Send Message
    AtomicArmy polycounter lvl 10
    Thank you guys for the wonderful advise! I will most definitely start practicing!
    a3sthesia on Yesterday 10:33 PM
    oh man! it's always going to feel out of your league! BUT, that's how it always begins! The biggest mistake I ever made was comparing myself to the job requirements and artists I wanted to work with.

My best advice, is to give yourself a break from looking at job requirements, and only look at your favourite artists work as a kind of 5-10 year goal.

In the mean time, give yourself a month or two to just enjoy making the things you love. Draw a picture. Draw it again and again till it looks better. Post it on the forums and ask people to tell you why it sucks, and how to make it better.

Make some 3D models. Make them again and again. Get more advice.

Play with UDK, play with ZBrush. You're in a position to have fun building up that portfolio with all the things you love.

THEN, before you know it, you can start applying for positions.

And don't be hard on yourself. You're getting there.
    Yes, I really need to quit being hard on myself, I need tend to be my own harsh judge too much and I never get work finished like I should.
    You can get very far with practice and determination. The question is, do you enjoy it?
    Oh yes, I love 3D art, I got into when I started modding for a game, however, drawing is something I like doing and I would enjoy it, if I wasn't so worried about how it looks.
    Also, I'll keep the Technical Artist profession in mind (I did research on that yesterday after you mentioned that.) :)

Also, I just have one question about the sketchbooks, can I post drawings in sketch book that I drew from a "learn how to draw book?"

Once again, thank you all for the advise, I highly appreciate it. Now I can decide easier on what direction I want to take. :)
  • LRoy
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    If it's what you really want to do go for it. Just be aware it's going to take time to build your skills to a level where you can start landing jobs. You will have to work some shitty jobs to support yourself while you practice. It will make you appreciate it that much more when you do finally land a gig.

I've been where you are and if I could go back I wouldn't change a thing.
  • Count Vertsalot
    Drawing isn't that hard. The secret to a good drawing is figuring out how to imply something is there without actually making too many line strokes to represent it. It's just a practiced technique like tying your shoelaces. The more you do it the better you get at it. Having an imagination worthy of decent concepts is the hard part.