Home Adobe Substance

Substance Designer - Master Thread

Replies

• dzibarik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dzibarik polycounter lvl 10
    yes, I saw it in one of the bundled substances. still, there may be problems with tiling but may be not, I will see.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    I'm sure there's got to be a formula to use in an FXmap to do herringbone... It won't be easy to figure out but I've seen more difficult things done in FXmaps.
    I think i could figure this out if I get some time.
  • dzibarik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have been thinking about doing it with FX maps first as I thought it was the only way but then I decided to take a look at bundled substances and there it was. I think I'll try to do it with FX maps anyway because it's a good occasion to learn them.
  • MDiamond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MDiamond polycounter lvl 10
    dzibarik wrote: »
    yes, I saw it in one of the bundled substances. still, there may be problems with tiling but may be not, I will see.

The way that pattern was made me think about ways of making stuff like tire and tank treads procedurally, could be a good idea to build a library of patterns or create a FX map to control them procedurally.
  • dzibarik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    not a proper herringbone but it's getting there. It's basically Stripes pattern masked and mirrorred. Now I need to mess with pattern's nodes and FX map to make stripe's width editable and properly mask wood boards so they would be rectangles with 90 degree corners (probably with FX maps) - this would be the hardest part I think.
  • dzibarik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    and another real challenge (as I see it by now) will be a proper tiling of the wood pattern.
  • dzibarik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    does anybody know how to edit read-only packages and patterns? I've found them in Explorer but files are not read-only if I check them through Windows. Is there any way to edit them? I want to reverse-engineer some FX maps to learn from them.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You gotta copy them out to another directory if you want to mess with them. they're locked so you can't go and destroy the default library functionality.
  • mpaquin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mpaquin polycounter lvl 7
    Is there a way to grow or expand ambient occlusion shadows within a substance graph? I've tried modifying it with a glow node and some creative blending but I was curious if anyone had solved this already. A similar effect for curvature maps would also be helpful.
  • MDiamond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Have you tried using the AO Node? I believe it requires a Normal Map as an input and contain few sliders to control the look of AO shadows.
  • mpaquin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mpaquin polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks MDiamond. I'm a little embarrassed to admit I had been passing that node over. I'm trying to squeeze in time with Substance Designer while all of my current freelance work is modeling.
  • MDiamond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No problem, I'm also fairly new to SD and I'm also constantly discovering nodes that blows my mind. I've been learning a lot just opening the materials that ships with Substance and what people have been posting here and in the Allegorithimic forum and studying them.
  • arvinmoses
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arvinmoses polycounter lvl 13
    Just some updated substances
    SubstanceTextures2.jpg
    Wood.jpg
    WallOptions1.jpg

Also trying to make some cloth... we'll see where this goes..
    cloth.png
  • MDiamond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eat3D has a new free video on creating PBR tiles using ZBrush, SD and Knald:

http://eat3d.com/free/pbr-tiling-texture-creation-zbrush-substance-designer-and-knald
  • dzibarik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @arvinmoses these look awesome!

I've delayed my herringbone because I'm finishing some of my old stuff and going through Painter tutorial videos and this eats all my free time. Will probably return to it the next month.
  • arvinmoses
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thought I'd drop in this thread.
    All done with Substance. Only things none procedural are drip marks on column, and the image on the banner.
    Waviness on Banner, all tiles and brick and wood are all procedural.
    update.jpg
  • rogelio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rogelio greentooth
    Going to do another tutorial this time around going to show the steps from start to finish of creating modular nodes that fit together to make a stone pebble dirt floor. Below are quick examples of 10 mins of property tweaks. The look is not final or polished. The intention for the tutorial is show the workflow of constructing these nodes with exposed parameters. hopefully I can get it done next week but here is a small preview.

1010090_10201878943615144_4902695711652860086_n.jpg?oh=09e01e989ffa5809a8f97c72eb4a2300&oe=54F4388D
    10402016_10201878942695121_7774833724158532087_n.jpg?oh=d55ee2062cf0598e810f00a787940aba&oe=54EDF100&__gda__=1425097822_391f4b0cd476e028f30627f95f64c999
    10704_10201878944095156_7227165098333319298_n.jpg?oh=b6d0b8e8e3f574008371a18778a72183&oe=54EE57AD&__gda__=1424262623_d5b7c411178a7f33376618e69e9f59cb
    10371373_10201878943015129_6548068782088404943_n.jpg?oh=10714f30d50c146b95081e257ef2afe7&oe=54B04366&__gda__=1424396953_122c3678d88edb591456a7867b9b295f
    1900127_10201878943855150_7911161424249994457_n.jpg?oh=23aa3a17ec068326994e7dc8c66b287f&oe=54B18A64&__gda__=1424822620_5c5e3220ef2a65f7b3b8b30e212bc5d2
    1377297_10201878942375113_1127935980030979760_n.jpg?oh=d3cc67381b21094e955eacb16c7a72b5&oe=54E8E5E9
    10406818_10201878942455115_873557833847570724_n.jpg?oh=3e29e6878e81aad1c801c356b65e56e8&oe=54B59780&__gda__=1424811531_a091402033fd17d1f3f50b046f63246b
  • Fwap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fwap polycounter lvl 13
    holy heck rogelio, i cannot wait!
  • arvinmoses
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eagerly waiting for this. Thanks Rogelio
  • aelwine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aelwine polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks for the precedent Tutorial and really looking forward to the next one Rogelio.

I have a quick question if you don't mind.
    When you're building your height maps, do you have a particular setup to test them (external software, specific shader, etc. ) or do you only use the PBR shader with the relief cranked up?
    I sometimes find if hard to preview what I'm doing this way, especially for things similar to your rocky dirt ground that was previewed at the beginning of your tutorial.
  • Nastrond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome stuff Rogelio, can't wait for the tutorial! I learned a lot about SD just dissecting the first handful of substances you dropped!

I have a question that might be better asked somewhere else, but I'll try here first. We are trying to get a solid SD pipeline set up at our studio, and so far it has gone pretty smoothly. We would like to put all of our external bakes into one .PSD to remove clutter, but I've hit a snag when trying to add layers to a linked .PSD. Substance Designer recognizes that the PSD was updated, but doesn't add the new layer.

Is there a way to get SD to recognize that I've added a new layer, without deleting and re-linking the .PSD?

Image of the issue:
    BN6bX3p.jpg

1 is initial link, 2 is after a new layer is added.
  • IchII3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IchII3D polycounter lvl 12
    This question already came up but couldn't find a reply with an answer. Does anyone know how to bake non-uniform scale textures? I can't seem to figure out how to bake 1024x4096.
  • rogelio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rogelio greentooth
    aelwine wrote: »
    Thanks for the precedent Tutorial and really looking forward to the next one Rogelio.

I have a quick question if you don't mind.
    When you're building your height maps, do you have a particular setup to test them (external software, specific shader, etc. ) or do you only use the PBR shader with the relief cranked up?
    I sometimes find if hard to preview what I'm doing this way, especially for things similar to your rocky dirt ground that was previewed at the beginning of your tutorial.

When doing heights I tend to use the shader that comes in substance already which is tessellation shader with this i can see the form the height is causing and the normal reaction to it. In most cases though I gauge it.
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    IchII3D wrote: »
    This question already came up but couldn't find a reply with an answer. Does anyone know how to bake non-uniform scale textures? I can't seem to figure out how to bake 1024x4096.
    You can't for the moment. It's something we want to do but didn't had the chance to support yet.
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Recent project, textures created with Substance Designer. It's really a fun and rewarding piece of software :D

chrisstone3d_main.jpg
  • rogelio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rogelio greentooth
    Substance Designer / Procedural Shape Generators PART 1

[vv]110562020[/vv]

This tutorial will go over creating a shape rock generator for use in a pebble rock material like below. Part 2 is done just need to edit and upload.

1010090_10201878943615144_4902695711652860086_n.jpg?oh=09e01e989ffa5809a8f97c72eb4a2300&oe=54F4388D
  • Bertmac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bertmac polycounter lvl 17
    @ rogelio ^^DUDE^^

So Cool

thanks
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Very nice Rogelio ! :D
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    AWESOME!!! Thanks for making this tut!
  • Quack!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    Rogelio, that is pretty great. I only could skim it today because of work craziness for Halloween, but will take a deeper look into it when I get home. I can't wait to learn from this and apply it to my own work.

Thanks for sharing.
  • aelwine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a lot Rogelio, that's awesome, lots of informations in there.

And I understood why I was not getting proper tessellation as well, you really have to pump up the normal map intensity a lot. Thanks for putting me in the right direction.
  • rogelio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rogelio greentooth
    Substance Designer / Procedural Shape Generators PART 2

Thanks for the replies. So a little snippet I plan to make a blog for environment art only and it will be filled with tutorials, workflows, examples, game recommendations for environments to look at and just general bloggy stuff. I will likely invite some of my buddies to post some stuff etc updating will be slow. So these videos have been more of a test for myself to see how quick I can put these out without going nutz. In general I have the workflow for creating this videos okish so ill run with this :D

[vv]110729876[/vv]
  • rogelio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rogelio greentooth
    Yeah most of the stuff intend is like hey did you know this. Good example is like panel loops for zbrush or tips on how to tile stuff. Or dissecting already awesome art into components. Like say some game art and talk about it in more technical way. In fact some stuff will not be artsy and could be boring but the other half that nobody seems to talk about when it comes to environment art is how to make assets actually be made for real game engines as opposed to making it look great. Making it look great is the easy part usually. So I will lean towards technical explanations more so than art stuff, but I will hopefully have some cool art stuff too. I am not going to make a prop like a pillar, trash can, or chair type of tutorials I will leave those for other places.

Programs that I will likely use and show
    -zbrush
    -substance designer
    -substance painter
    -crazybump (Oh no!)
    -Ddo
    -Ndo
    -and others like mudbox

really the aim is just general cool workflows and information.
  • tungerz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tungerz polygon
    Rogelio,
    Thank you for your tutorials on your rock generator process, such a wealth of knowledge you have to share my friend :)
    I'm looking forward to your blog and tutorials. :)

Thanks again (
  • rogelio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rogelio greentooth
    IT IS LIVE!

Hi everyone we just opened up the Environment Art Blog. We are excited to share information related to art of making games, specifically about environment art. We currently have two authors Richard Piper and myself. Just wanted to let everyone know this is community effort all for free and hopefully people like it. it is hard finding a single place for Environment Art and just general awesome information. Richard and I will also put plenty of unique content tutorials etc. feel free to send e-mails with recommendations for posts. This blog is still in its early stage and will likely change as it grows.

Richard Piper - Sr. Texture Artist - author

primarily a Texture / 3D Environment Artist within the gaming industry for over 5 years with art credits on Lego City Undercover, Lego Star Wars Clone Wars and The Time Tribe, to name a few. The digital art community is a great place to learn and interact with a variety of artists and skill levels and there is always something new to discover and develop. he hope his posts will help highlight what is happening within our community and hopefully stir up those creative fires.

Rogelio Olguin - Sr Texture Artist - admin author

I have worked for 10 years or so in the game / entertainment industry at places like, Epic Games, Framestore NY, Crystal Dynamics, and NaughtyDog. Currently I am a Sr. Texture Artist at NaughtyDog and have had the pleasure to be part of “The Last of US” now working on “Uncharted 4″ and so far it is a blast working here.

The reason for opening up this blog is to have a place where we can add tutorials, workflows, and general environment art related information for the community. We will also start to collect links of environment artists websites in the community that have really awesome work.

https://environmentart.wordpress.com/

envblog.jpg?w=627

Again all is wip including the name of the site, content will stay and grow so expect changes as we grow.
  • aelwine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome ! Faved and will check often for new updates. Thanks a lot for your hard work.
  • rogelio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rogelio greentooth
  • luthyn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luthyn polycounter lvl 8
    This is awesome! Thank you guys so much for getting this together! The tutorials are also amazing :D keep up the outstanding work!
  • arvinmoses
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Rogelio! Great overviews and great blog. Very useful for the community.

Out of curiosity can you say whether you guys at naughty dog are using sbsars in your pipeline or just baking out maps? I am curious if the savings on file sizes and ability to generate variations real time are practical in a real world setting.

Thanks again!
  • MDiamond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That blog has a bright future. I was never really into enviroment art but all this high-caliber knowledge sharing is enough motivation for me to give a try a full scene for fun.
  • tungerz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tungerz polygon
    When switching to tessellation shader should the mesh (default cube) disappear?
    Just in case I have a Evga 560 gpu w/ 344.48 Drivers.

Cheers,
    ~Tung
  • rogelio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rogelio greentooth
    arvinmoses wrote: »
    Thanks Rogelio! Great overviews and great blog. Very useful for the community.

Out of curiosity can you say whether you guys at naughty dog are using sbsars in your pipeline or just baking out maps? I am curious if the savings on file sizes and ability to generate variations real time are practical in a real world setting.

Thanks again!

Can't say :)
  • arvinmoses
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lol. Thought that might be the case but couldn't hurt to ask. :)
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noob question here.

I've started working with Substance Designer very recently. I am really digging it so far! I'm having an issue trying to paint normal map info nDo style. In some tutorials I saw...there was a height to normal filter in SD...but I'm not seeing it...tried using the Height Normal Blender node as well..but it doesn't appear to do anything.

Tried to do my due diligence and google it up...but haven't been finding any answers. Can somebody point me in the right direction? Thanks :)
  • aelwine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gsokol : the node you're looking for is the "normal" node
    you can find it when you right click inside the graph editor tab : "Add node/normal"

most of the basic nodes are there as well.

By default the normal node will give you a flat color, but you can plug a heightmap for conversion as well.
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That would be exactly what I was looking for!

Was searching for it in the Library...didn't think to look at the right click menu. Thank you so much!!
  • Quack!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    Bitmap2Material Lite is also an included node. This will give you finer control over values, but I believe it takes a bit more time to process so it can contribute to slowing your graph down.
  • final_fight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    final_fight polycounter lvl 9
    rogelio, can you, please, upload that masks pack for SD again?
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gsokol wrote: »
    That would be exactly what I was looking for!

Was searching for it in the Library...didn't think to look at the right click menu. Thank you so much!!

That said it's not very dDo-ish yet; I made one at work here that is better, it does some blurs and all so you can control the falloff strength and so on. Worth investigating yourself.
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    An update has been released! Tons of bug fixes and some cool improvements. >> SD 4.5.2