Home Quixel Megascans

SUITE 1.7 PREVIEW AVAILABLE NOW (Updated: November 18)

Hey guys!

Here's a preview of the 1.7 release. It contains a bulk of the functionality, with some surprises left. Please let me know how this runs for you and I will do my best to tidy up any mistakes before the official release is made.
  • Dynamask Custom Painting support // Add an infinite amount of layers/custom textures in your dynamask non-destructively
  • Seam Termination support // Uses black color in color map to find UV borders, so make sure the color map background is black!
  • 200% faster processing :O
  • Unreal Engine 4 Plugin: Create Textures inside Unreal // Needs to be documented, kudos if you can figure out how to work it :)
  • Grunge Map Import button in Dynamask Editor
  • 60+ High Quality Grunge Masks for free
  • Stylized Master Preset for painterly art // Also check Create Base Layers in Base Creator when using this preset for full effect
  • Unlimited Resolution
  • Dota 2 Workflow now fully supported
  • Unity 5 calibration profile added
  • Automatic Dilation
  • Added support for Nested Smart Materials
  • Improved Object Space masking control
  • New Smart Materials
  • Save As support
  • Copy/Paste Mask support
  • Move In/Out from Group support
  • Clear Mask support
  • Clear Texture support
  • Added DDO Photoshop Swatch
  • Seam Termination switch in Base Creator
  • CryEngine calibration profile improved
  • FIXED: "Set" error message
  • FIXED: Material normals overriding base normal
  • FIXED: SUITE stuck in processes after exit
  • FIXED: Hard-surface height conversion crash
  • FIXED: Licensing crash
  • FIXED: Improved Dota2 preset
  • FIXED: Bug where maps would not get deleted from 3DO
  • FIXED: Bug where Dynamask presets could not be deleted
  • FIXED: Load Project crash
  • FIXED: Start-up issues, Anti-virus issues, and textures not loading in 3DO // Needs confirmation, please let me know ASAP!
  • FIXED: Flip Y did not invert normal map
  • FIXED: Brightness in dynamask was not remembered
  • FIXED: Smart Materials would sometimes not generate correctly
  • FIXED: Blend mode and opacity were not applied to groups in Smart Materials
  • FIXED: Error when deleting layer in cross-app mode

Preview download now taken down -- you will find the final release through the SUITE updater!

A few of these features may need mini wiki guides (will be prepared for the official release) but until then feel free to post your questions in this thread!

- Teddy

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dota 2 WHAT WHAT WHAT?

Awesome stuff as always Teddy, you guys rock!
  • Shanteez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shanteez polycounter lvl 5
    Dang AWESOME!!! THANKS Teddy!
  • Wenceslas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome teddy & Quixel team !
  • Shanteez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Teddy when should we expect Quixel on our MACS? I have both so it's no biggie, just curious for Versatility.
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    teddy i tried sending you a invite on skype but never got an answer
  • Luki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luki polycounter lvl 3
    Just when I was searching this forum to find if there is a way to add custom textures in dynamask, this update is coming. Awesome! :)
  • teddybergsman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys, hoping everything runs smoothly for you!

skyline5gtr: My apologies, I have been swamped these past few days with messages. It should clear up for me beginning of next week. Does 1.7 have any effect on the issue you are experiencing?

Shanteez: A Mac version is finally in the works. I can't disclose a date yet but rest assured it is coming!

- Teddy
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    Will try tomorrow, and just hit me up on skype when you can find time
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Those dynamask changes sound awesome.

I started a new dDo 1.6 project last night and had some bugs, so I'll see if they persist in 1.7 — but basically my main issues were:

1) Using the same sky in 3do & toolbag 2, and the Toolbag 2 calibration profile still gave quite different results when viewing in 3do vs tb2. Should I be expecting 1:1?

2) Using metalness (might not be relevant) I added the plastic/teflon material. When I used the dDo UI to change that material's reflectance, the changes didn't correlate to the colours I selected, and after several random changes the material became stuck with a mirror finish.

3) Sometimes when using shift+c to add a smart material, the smart material would end up grouped inside another smart material even when I wasn't viewing inside that smart material (in which case it asks if you want it to be added there or not)

edit: now I get this when creating a project with same settings as before:

KPoz7TN.png

cs6. I installed 1.7preview but the suite still says it's version 1.6, so not sure if the label just isn't updated or what. I get it when re-importing inputs too.
  • Devil_Inside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek wrote: »
    1) Using the same sky in 3do & toolbag 2, and the Toolbag 2 calibration profile still gave quite different results when viewing in 3do vs tb2. Should I be expecting 1:1?

Press "Space" in 3DO, and make sure the texture sliders are all set to the max value. For some reason my 3DO had diffuse map set to 50%, spec and gloss set to 25%. When I set all my sliders to 100%, the material in 3DO started looking very similar to Toolbag2.
    Can someone please explain why those sliders are not at 100% by default?
  • grimsonfart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    grimsonfart polycounter lvl 4
    I would snuggle you like a teddybear!!
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    25B5ugg.png
    I get the above error when adjusting the Texture Intensity slide on a material that's within a material, but not say a regular smart material (which is just the one group). Specifically the Scratched Painted Metal 06 preset has a paint material within the metal material, which is where I noticed this.

I checked what you suggested Devil_Inside, no luck, the sliders were already at 100% by default for me.

Here's what I see, using same sky and roughly same angle/position for camera/sky:

dTTREM7.png

Is this perhaps because my project was created with TB2 (metalness) profile and I'm viewing in 3DO? When using profiles should we not bother with 3DO at all? Also ignore the normal map errors in the 3do version, that's because for some reason when I control-dragged a material slider it also changed the normal map value — can't recall if dDo used to do that or not. It was jsut overriding certain parts with a flat value.
  • Stenhock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wonderful. Thank you and the team
  • Kosai106
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kosai106 polycounter lvl 13
    This fixes a lot of issues I had with 1.6! :)

However, just a friendly reminder that this is still a problem, and has been for a while now.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odl-35XyDko"]QUIXEL SUITE - Set command bug[/ame]
  • CKohl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CKohl polycounter lvl 10
    #1: In 1.7 the Reimporter doesn't remember custom painted mask layers. Once the project has re-rendered I have to click on a material's mask to open up the dynamask editor and re-apply the custom mask (the mask does save properly, it just needs to be "reminded" to re-apply itself).

#2: Additionally when I re-render any project (including projects that I haven't changed in more than a week) after configuring input maps with the Reimporter, I always get this script error on the Misc/Background layer of the BaseMaterial_IDs.psd:

dJi3YpB.jpg

#3: Not sure if this one was caused by a DDO error or my own human error but somehow the BaseMaterial [Specular] psd file became compressed into a single layer. Consequently it gave me a whole bunch of general photoshop script errors until I deleted and recreated that map.
  • Wenceslas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kosai106 wrote: »
    This fixes a lot of issues I had with 1.6! :)

However, just a friendly reminder that this is still a problem, and has been for a while now.

I made a thread about it here : http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=142887

Feel free to use this thread to talk about this issue ! ;)
    I tried several thing in the thread, but maybe you'll think of something I missed that'll help quixel team to fix this issue.
  • tach
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Dried Mud material is missing all patterns which makes the texture only show as solid colors.

The code says the pattern file for this material should be called Dried Mud_40a8_l3HcEq9m2YiQapAXg but that file is nowhere to be found in the installation files.
  • XemnasKH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I can't get the updater for 1.7 to work. I click on the link at the top but it doesn't do anything. It doesn't ask if I want to update to 1.7.
  • Shanteez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The link above works just fine. You can't update from the APP. This is a PREVIEW. This isn't an official update!
  • Podden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Podden polycounter lvl 2
    I get this Error with 1.7 in DDO when creating a new project, right after it's created the curvature map and while making a map called "mn-Fm-dtmu".

problem.jpg

Error occures ONLY if the project has a color map! Without it, everything works just fine.

EDIT: Seems that the generated ID Map does not have a Layer called "Misc/Background". Instead there are layer called "Misc/Undefinied ###".
    If I'm commenting out the "CreateSeamTerminator" function it works again but I could not find the place where you renaming the layers of the ID map
  • Mathew O
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mathew O polycounter
    I'm really happy that the seam termination has been included but one of the problems I'm having with it is the need to have a colour ID map with little to no padding on it, meaning that I'm getting no room for MipMap seams on my prop and also is causing seams between UV islands in dDO as I'm testing with an ID map that uses no padding. Any advice for good results? :)

3hOE2VB.jpg
  • Polynaught
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polynaught polycounter lvl 11
    What's the best advice for installing this preview version - should we deinstall 1.6 before running the new installer? I would like to test if the "keeps falling behind PS" bug has been squashed :)
  • Grusti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grusti polycounter lvl 10
    Why converting map to Hard Surface Height map cost me crushing?
    Every, goddamn, time!
  • 9of9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Podden wrote: »
    I get this Error with 1.7 in DDO when creating a new project, right after it's created the curvature map and while making a map called "mn-Fm-dtmu".

problem.jpg

Error occures ONLY if the project has a color map! Without it, everything works just fine.

EDIT: Seems that the generated ID Map does not have a Layer called "Misc/Background". Instead there are layer called "Misc/Undefinied ###".
    If I'm commenting out the "CreateSeamTerminator" function it works again but I could not find the place where you renaming the layers of the ID map

I have this issue as well.

Also, I'm curious about this point:
    Stylized Master Preset for painterly art // Also check Create Base Layers in Base Creator when using this preset for full effect

What is this and where do I find it, and what's it for? :)
  • teddybergsman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys for all these reports! A new build is up:
    • Automatic Dilation
    • Unlimited Resolution
    • FIXED: Reimporter not refreshing custom masks
    • FIXED: Seam Termination Misc/Background error
    • FIXED: Over sensitive blur sliders
    • FIXED: Misc bug fixes
    DOWNLOAD 1.7b HERE

Bek: One thing that could be the culprit here is that 3DO uses a directional light for the sun in addition to the HDRI. Use the HDRI light adding feature in TB2 and it should a lot more similar. Let me know if this helped!

Mathew O: Thank you very much for bringing up this issue! Thanks to your report there is now automatic dilation support that addresses this issue. Edge padding is not needed for any of the maps -- DDO will now take care of it automatically based on the black background of the ID map. The color IDs will also be fully dilated.

9of9: More on this very soon :D We will post up a few Wiki tutorials in the coming days on how to use the new features.

- Teddy
  • Mathew O
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mathew O polycounter
    Perfect, thankyou Teddy :D

Edit: I must say that I'm seriously impressed that that's remedied and implemented less than 24 hours after I reported it :P
  • Shanteez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love you GUYS! Thanks TEDDY!
  • Psychotic_Mike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psychotic_Mike polycounter lvl 11
    Is this integrated in Unreal 4?
  • 7hny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    From that what I've seen, DDO materials are completly overriding base normal map. After applying a material, base normal map is completly covered by normal from DDO material. I've seen that behaviour on some materials in 1.6 (notably some painted wood materials). Now it seems to affect all materials I tried today. Is anyone else experiencing this?

cJb7bMB.jpg

1.7b
    deLKs36.jpg
  • Polynaught
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polynaught polycounter lvl 11
    Well... would have been nice if you had answered my question... before I tried installing the patch after I had uninstalled 1.6.

So for others:
    1.7b as offered in this thread is a patch. You need to have 1.6 installed before the patch can be used.
  • Stenhock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have the same error. in version 1.7b
    If you run the DDO - that all is well.
    If the first press release info, or update launcher - you get this error.
    After the error is no longer possible to run DDO. A window appears here with this error: "No input paths specified. Aboting butch"
    (Quixel 1.6 + 1.7b / Photoshop CC2014/ windows 8.1 64 bit / )
    After restarting the suite - DDO works.
    Error handling causes the window version or update launcher window.
  • leoferlandlabbe
    Since DDO 1.6 and even with 1.7 3DO is not displaying my mesh, only the default primitive with much reflection on it, but no texture...

I think he is not linking properly to the project because I can load a mesh with the custome loader and it work okay, but I can never load textures with it and I cannot have a project and view the updates in real time, wich is a bit annoying :P
  • rls76
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    First time running the 1.7 and I get this when I tried running NDO. Need less to say about the 6th time running the Suite it finally worked, both DDO and NDO.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/opwtktnhnnmr445/NDO_Error.PNG?dl=0

Also the Suite Bar will not stay in front and load behind PS, that in 1.7B as well as was a problem in 1.7A. Also noticed that the timer on the trial version went from 18 days to 12 days in the matter of 1 version.
    NDO_Error.PNG?dl=0
  • DRSpaceman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stenhock wrote: »
    I have the same error. in version 1.7b
    If you run the DDO - that all is well.
    If the first press release info, or update launcher - you get this error.
    After the error is no longer possible to run DDO. A window appears here with this error: "No input paths specified. Aboting butch"
    (Quixel 1.6 + 1.7b / Photoshop CC2014/ windows 8.1 64 bit / )
    After restarting the suite - DDO works.
    Error handling causes the window version or update launcher window.

I too am getting this error on the latest version of Quixel Suite after I try to load a project (ver 1.7b). I've also been getting this message at my work on version 1.6 - only it happened randomly and on specific computers.

Another user has made a thread about it here.

OAY2bzp.jpg

I'd appreciate if you were able to look into it Teddy, for now I'm gonna try downgrading to 1.5.4, as that worked perfectly fine up until today. Its only problem being it closed the program when trying to load a project through DDO.

Edit #1: Downgrading didn't work, seems to repeat the 'closing Quixel Suite altogether' bug when attempting to 'load project' through DDO.

Edit #2: Possible workaround for the time being. I created a new standard user account on my computer, which let me at least load a project in DDO without crashing.

Hopefully this is helpful to other users with the issue - and it might be helpful to finding out what causes the issue.

The user account it's producing the crash on has administrator privileges.
  • teddybergsman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the reports guys! I've tried addressing all issues reported thus far, some I am unclear if they have been fully solved as I have not been able to reproduce anything, so please get the latest version and let me know if everything works as expected:

Download 1.7c Preview
    • Faster processing :O
    • CryEngine calibration profile improved
    • FIXED: "Set" error message
    • FIXED: SUITE stuck in processes after exit
    • FIXED: Hard-surface height conversion crash
    • FIXED: Licensing crash
    • FIXED: Improved Dota2 preset

Lots of bug and crash fixes in this one! There's also a new behavior kicking in when long tasks are being performed (like creating a new project, rerendering, or loading advanced Smart Materials): Everything will minimize until processing is done, so that you can browse/youtube/etc instead of staring at PS doing its thing.

This also has a very practical benefit: processing is much faster, and you will get results faster. This is because PS does not spend time on redrawing UI/histogram etc, increasing the generation times by up to 200%.

I hope you like it!

- Teddy
  • Grusti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thank you and your awesome support team!!!
  • Grusti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    only 2 words I can say after install 1.7c ... SO FAST
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Still get this on 1.7c w/
    Gun Metal Black 02
    Gun Metal Black 03
    Grainy Plastic
    Battle Armour 02
    Old Blue Plastic
    and one (of the two) tungsten presets.

edit: Upon further testing I find this happens if I assign a smart material via 3do's shift+c+LMB, but NOT if I apply the same smart material via ddo's UI (which I then assign to a colour ID)

edit: Annnnd sometimes assigning the colour ID via ddo's UI just does nothing....
  • DRSpaceman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the reports guys! I've tried addressing all issues reported thus far, some I am unclear if they have been fully solved as I have not been able to reproduce anything, so please get the latest version and let me know if everything works as expected:...

Hey Teddy, thanks for the quick turnaround on releasing patches, really appreciated.

Unfortunately the new patch doesn't seem to fix the issue I and many other people are encountering with the Suite crashing after trying to load a project in DDO.

As far as I can tell it might be something to do with user profiles? If there's anything I can try for you to help pinpoint the issue, please let me know :)

For now I'm going to use the workaround of having a secondary user account.
  • XemnasKH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Teddy I just want to let you know that I found a major bug when I downloaded 1.7c and it looks like a few other people are haveing the same issue. The issue is that when I try to load a new project that the suite crashes and it closes photoshop for me. Then I can't reopen photoshop unless I restart my computer. I am going to go back to 1.7b and hopefully that will fix it. If not then this is bad. Just wanted to let you know though.
  • Avis Para.doc's
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avis Para.doc's polycounter lvl 9
    When I installed a 1.7c I encountered with weird photoshop behavior. When DDO imports or re-import maps it collapses photoshop window in taskbar and I cant expand photoshop before ddo finishes with creating project. In 1.7 and before nothing like that don't happen (but I don't tested 1.7b)
    --- Sorry, don't carefully read patch notes, to much work to do

Another thing that is when work with mask in dynamask and first time in that window I choose color ID it overrides all by black color and seems to dont react o sliders at all and all underlaid sliders don't do anything too but when I apply a mask preset something like "sharp cavity" it starts too work. I think i just doing something wrong. I can upload mask pdf.
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    When I installed a 1.7c I encountered with weird photoshop behavior. When DDO imports or re-import maps it collapses photoshop window in taskbar and I cant expand photoshop before ddo finishes with creating project. In 1.7 and before nothing like that don't happen (but I don't tested 1.7b)
    Intended functionallity, read the changelog

Bug: It seems using the Exporter is broken for 16bit. Exporting 8 bit works fine but if I try to export as 16bit the automation fails (it asks me to manually save a file).

Also just got this trying to use the re-importer (although I did successfully use the re-importer earlier with 1.7c — however now it seems permanently bugged for this project)

7MljuP1.png
  • Stenhock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I can say one thing. Despite the error, this version works very quickly for me. It flies like a rocket. Pleasantly surprised.
  • Podden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Podden polycounter lvl 2
    Just a small thing:
    I installed Quixel Suite in the Program Files Directory instead of the suggested one. When I click "next" in the installer of 1.7c it pointed out that it has to be installed in the directory where the old version of Suite is, but after clicking okay I cant get back the the directory choosing.
  • teddybergsman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gotta say it's awesome to wake up to so many replies! Thanks everyone for pitching in.

Bek: Thank you so much. This really helps. I will try to reproduce these now and have them fixed in a patch today. Also, thanks for the reimporter report, much appreciated. Looking into it.

DRSpaceman & XemnasKH: Thanks for letting me know, really sorry to hear this is still an issue. Would you mind zipping up the project and sending me? I can't reproduce it and I'm thinking it might have something to do with backwards compatibility that I haven't managed to bump into myself. Hoping to fix this ASAP. Also please let me know if Photoshop is REALLY crashing, or if this could be the new speed processing feature that got you confused, which hides SUITE + PS until processing is done. It's a little crude UI wise and I will try to make it clearer what is happening for the final 1.7 build.

Podden: True, it's pretty stupid how the installer works right now. Will try to fix this.

Thanks again everyone,
    - Teddy
  • 7hny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek wrote: »
    Still get this on 1.7c w/
    Gun Metal Black 02
    Gun Metal Black 03
    Grainy Plastic
    Battle Armour 02
    Old Blue Plastic
    and one (of the two) tungsten presets.

edit: Upon further testing I find this happens if I assign a smart material via 3do's shift+c+LMB, but NOT if I apply the same smart material via ddo's UI (which I then assign to a colour ID)

edit: Annnnd sometimes assigning the colour ID via ddo's UI just does nothing....

Unfortunately 1.7c didn't fix this issue for me at all. When I roll back to 1.6 it works at it used to (in 1.6 only some wood smart materials were broken). In 1.7b & 1.7c normals seems to be overriden in case of all materials I tried.
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    In some cases it seemed to apply the Albedo information into the normal map, not sure if that's already known though.
  • XemnasKH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Teddy I just want to let you know that my issue is fixed and I guess it wasn't crashing photoshop. It was just closing it until DDO was done makeing the project, it's just a little annoying that it does that. Also the issue with my textures is fixed. Again thank you for all the hard work that you and the whole quixel team is doing. Its much appreciated and I feel that with your program I have become a much better texture artist now.
  • DRSpaceman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gotta say it's awesome to wake up to so many replies! Thanks everyone for pitching in....

DRSpaceman & XemnasKH: Thanks for letting me know, really sorry to hear this is still an issue. Would you mind zipping up the project and sending me? I can't reproduce it and I'm thinking it might have something to do with backwards compatibility that I haven't managed to bump into myself. Hoping to fix this ASAP. Also please let me know if Photoshop is REALLY crashing, or if this could be the new speed processing feature that got you confused, which hides SUITE + PS until processing is done. It's a little crude UI wise and I will try to make it clearer what is happening for the final 1.7 build....

Thanks again everyone,
    - Teddy

Hi Teddy, it's a bit confusing which of us this response is directed at :/ But I'm certain my problem isn't due to a backwards compatibility issue as the Suite crashes before you can even load a project; Here I've made a video showing where and when it crashes, hopefully it will help in determining the problem :)

http://youtu.be/AhOCirZu31g (Apologies, I have no idea how to embed videos)

Let me know if there's anything you want me to try to remedy it! Cheers
  • akaChris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    akaChris polycounter lvl 6
    sorry if this is considered a cross-post but I thought this should go here as it directly affects 1.7

currently the feature using black in color maps appears to result in broken occlusion and cavity maps. I would have posted this here directly but at the time didn't figure out that it was related to 1.7 specifically. so my apologies! here is the original thread with what I experienced: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2181881#post2181881

cheers,
    Chris