Home Technical Talk

Maya viewport not updating automatically?

Bal
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Bal polycounter lvl 17
I've been having a recurring problem in Maya 2011 for a while now, not sure what it's due to, probably some command I use, but I really can't seem to identify what it is.

Regularly my viewport will stop updating automatically unless I turn or move in it.
For instance I'll switch to vertex component mode on an object, I'll see the vertices appear if I move slightly in the viewport. Same for most operations, for instance, even if I click select an edge, I have to move slightly before I see it's highlighted.

Sometimes it goes away by itself after a while, otherwise I have to reboot Maya.

Anyone come across a similar problem? Really don't understand what I could be doing to trigger this.

Replies

• Warheart
    Offline / Send Message
    Warheart polycounter lvl 17
    One of the animators here is having exactly the same issue. We're also having trouble tracking down exactly what causes it. At first I thought it may be to do with an export script which may have been disabling redraw but it seemed to happen recently even without running any of these scripts.

I'm currently thinking it may be graphics card/driver related as that machine has a different graphics card to the others which have not had this issue. We may try updating the driver and see if that fixes it. I'll let you know if it does. I'll also be interested to see if anyone else has solved this already.
  • greuh
    Offline / Send Message
    greuh polycounter lvl 15
    I have been playing with 2012 x64 at home (w7 x64) a little bit and had this issue happen to me a handful of times too.
    I have yet to pin point exactly what's been happening but everything goes fine when I restart Maya.
    I was also leaning on the drivers/windows update shit side so far. I am running a GTX260 btw.
  • EzMeow
    Offline / Send Message
    EzMeow polycounter lvl 10
    I had this bug in different version of maya, never found exactly how to solve the problem. First time appering after a graphic card driver update I think.
    I've never really managed to get rid of it even by reverting my old drivers.
    Eventually the problem was solved when I changed my graphic card...
  • Bal
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    I don't think it's a graphic card or driver issue in my case, it does it on the 4 computers I've used recently (2 at home, 2 at work) with quite different hardware/drivers in them, so I really think it's more of a problem with one of the commands I use, disabling the viewport update somehow...
    I know 3dsMax has a shortcut to do this , which often new users often get, but I can't find any kind of equivalent in Maya.
  • fattkid
    Offline / Send Message
    fattkid polycounter lvl 15
    I've had this problem on multiple computers, Maya 2010 and 2011. Never figured it out...
  • throttlekitty
    I've had it a handful of times, but never regular enough to try and troubleshoot it. I recently did a hardware change, and now I have something similar though. Using the gradient background, after some arbitrary edit to a model, I can't see anything. Sometimes un/reselect the model fixes it until the next click.
    I can avoid the issue by alt-b'ing to one of the solid backgrounds, maybe that will work for you?
  • JorgeBarros
    Offline / Send Message
    JorgeBarros polycounter lvl 8
    Still having this problem with Maya 2015
  • Ricky
    Offline / Send Message
    Ricky polycounter lvl 12
    And still having in 2016. There must be some way to force this to correct itself? I also notice when it does this that if you press ctrl+q to quit or try to quit, it doesn't work. Also the tools menu doesn't update with the currently selected tool's options.

I've seen this bug all the way back to at least 2010, and have it happen at least a few times a week at work and at home (so different machines), not to mention I only recently updated to a new PC.

If it really is display driver issues as so many say it could be liked to, I've had:
    9800 GTX
    GTX 560ti
    GTX 980 (current)
    Quadro K2000 (at work)

Resetting preferences etc, etc, etc does nothing for it.

I take it there is no MEL command to force the UI and to redraw or something? And the viewport?
  • ninthtale
    Offline / Send Message
    ninthtale polycounter lvl 7
    In the MEL command line, triy entering the following:

ogs -reset

You can make a shelf button by selecting the text, middle-clicking and dragging it up to the shelf. Then customize it, if you want, by right-clicking the button and selecting Edit, then go to the Shelves tab in the shelf editor window.
  • Finnfox66
    I'm having this kind of a problem in Maya 2016 only when I have other windows like Hypershade open while editing an object. The problem appears instantly when I open the Hypershade and disappears instantly when I close it (and have no other additional windows open).
  • andreasng
    Offline / Send Message
    andreasng polycounter lvl 5
    still having this ******* problem in 2018. 

anyone know if Autodesk is aware how much we pay for their program? I mean this is not a 60$ K2 game where bugs are expected... 
  • JorgeBarros
    Offline / Send Message
    Experiencing this right now in Maya 2016.

ninthtale's Mel code doesn't seem to change anything about this, nor had I hypershade open like Finnfox66 noted. I still tried opening and closing hypershade, but the problem persists... I can only solve it but force quitting it through Task Manager, although sometimes if I can ignore the problem and continue working, sometimes it will eventually revert back to normal out of apparently nothing.
  • kolayamit
    Offline / Send Message
    kolayamit polycounter lvl 13
    ninthtale said:
    In the MEL command line, triy entering the following:

ogs -reset

You can make a shelf button by selecting the text, middle-clicking and dragging it up to the shelf. Then customize it, if you want, by right-clicking the button and selecting Edit, then go to the Shelves tab in the shelf editor window.
    My God! This works, thank you very much!
  • JorgeBarros
    Offline / Send Message
    Well that's odd.. Because I have just tried this mel script again, after kolayamit reported it as working, but it still doesn't work for me. I am now with Maya 2016 Extension 2 SP1. Viewport keeps updating only after moving the perspective camera. Also, Tool Settings don't show for the tool I select.
    This bug is such a pain in the ass, it's been YEARS now, and it's unbelievable how this hasn't been officially addressed yet..
  • Odow
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
    the mel scrip don'T work for me on 2018 :/ this is a pretty shitty bug.
  • Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    having this bug maya 2018, makes it unusable after 10 mins. if i select xgen freeze brush, after that I select , the length brush, then the tool settings do not update for another long period, if ever
     I will then have  to ctl alt delete to close the program
  • KindredGames
    I just picked up Maya 2020. Moved from Maya LT 2017/2019/2020 (skipped 2018 I guess) and had the same issue occur at least once per work session in EVERY version. Really thought it was an LT thing. I guess not. Seems to happen to me when using the edge loop tool. If I fumble the keys when cancelling the tools or z'ing back then suddenly my viewport stops refreshing until I move the camera. 

I always have to force quit afterward. But I have had it suddenly start working again once or twice when I just didn't have the patience to restart.  Not sure what causes it but I can't believe this hasn't been fixed since 2011!  If it's a driver thing then that's really surprising.

May be related, but with this PC (Windows 10, GTX 1070, i7 7700k)  I've also been getting an issue (mostly with Maya) where my main monitor just goes black for a second then comes back up. Never when the refresh issue is happening though.
  • JorgeBarros
    Offline / Send Message
    I believe I have found a workaround for this, which has been working for me for months now!

So the problem would happen to me randomly when I'd use the shelf button for either Multi-Cut, Insert Edge Loop and Slide Edge. As an experiment, I mapped these 3 tools to hotkeys, and deleted them from my shelf so that I wouldn't fall into the temptation of clicking them there. So whenever I needed to use them, I'd use only the hotkeys. And it seems to have solved it, I haven't had the problem ever since! It's only a matter of getting used to use the hotkeys for these tools. You guys try it and let us know if it works for you too! (this is working for me on Maya 2018)
  • Shinji78
    Hi everyone.
    I've just joined the community to bring the fix for this (can't believe it's been all these years with no effective solution)

1-. Close Maya
    2-. Remove your user preferences (usually located at:
    • Windows: <drive>:\Documents\maya\<version>\
    • Mac OS X: /Users/<username>/Library/Preferences/Autodesk/maya/<version>/
    • Linux: /home/<username>/maya/<version>/
    3-. Open Maya. Select to create default user preferences when asked)
    4-. The refreshing problem should now be fixed. It is now a matter to bring your preferences one by one (hotkeys, shelfs, etc) until you find what was causing the problem to stop using it or find an alternative
  • DirtyBlueFL
    Offline / Send Message
    DirtyBlueFL polycounter lvl 6

I love how the solution for every bug in this expensive software is always, "Wipe away all your settings and workflow considerations and that should be fine."

Well I'm working in a stock environment, so maybe just fix this decades old bug?

*Thread closed*

Anyways, I do think it has to do with the multicut tool from the shelf and whatever rendering elements it enables for that GUI, as JorgeBarros suggested.