Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

AK-47

Replies

• bluekangaroo
    Offline / Send Message
    bluekangaroo polycounter lvl 13
    ooh nice. Im not perfectly familiar with the AK but it looks pretty AK-ish too me. There are a few things that look a bit off tho. Some edges namely the grooves in the magazine are too sharp I think
  • Kitteh
    Offline / Send Message
    Kitteh polycounter lvl 18
    that indent on the foregrip should actually be a bump, and the fire select is too short and misshapen. Also, the stamped indent on the lower receiver below the ejector is the wrong shape and its edges are too hard
  • Harry
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    there are lots and lots and lots of accuracy issues, but the most important one, which will stand out most in first person:

studys.jpg

Study harder!
  • Rang3r1
    Here are some refs, I would really try to get it as accurate as possible since you are baking normals.

http://www.pixagogo.com/9865254616

Also, your UV maps don't look like you separated all of the smoothing group islands, which would give you baking errors.
  • Rock Bottom
    Realy nice man AK FAN RIGHT HERE!! but 1 thing the hole on the barrel it too small AK normaly uses a 5.56 MM bullet round thus there it look more like a pencil hole but for the rest perfect great job :D
  • Kitteh
    Offline / Send Message
    Realy nice man AK FAN RIGHT HERE!! but 1 thing the hole on the barrel it too small AK normaly uses a 5.56 MM bullet round thus there it look more like a pencil hole but for the rest perfect great job :D

Actually, the gun fires a 7.62x39mm round. But yeah, his barrel hole is too small. Sometimes, it seems like people model things without ever looking at a picture of the thing they're modeling...

just noticed that the magazine and trigger guard are too thin
  • qartar
    To the guy's credit, there are about a million different variants of the AK-47 all casually referred to as 'the AK-47'. The gun fires a 7.62 mm round so the clip, barrel, and bore need to be a bit thicker. (Looking into the clip is pretty scary since the actual M43 round is about twice the diameter of what's in there). Look up "7.62x39mm" for a good reference. Also, the fire selector is missing a raised tip which extends almost up to the cavity above the clip insertion when selecting semi-automatic fire (lowest position). The cavity itself looks a bit too far forward on the receiver.

There are 5.56 and 5.45 mm variants but there are too many other details that would need to be changed to say it were one of them.
  • NautalusX
    AK11.png

Well guys this is how it turned out. Oh, and yes I did look at many many AK refs when making this. I have next to no experience of how one of these guns are supposed to look, and all refs of this thing are very different. I kinda pieced together parts from all different pics to make it. I know this is no excuse or anything, but an average player that see's this in game, would realize it as an ak and be fine with it :) It depends on how picky the player is I guess.

Let me know what you think of the final please.
  • PredatorGSR
    Offline / Send Message
    PredatorGSR polycounter lvl 14
    Looks nice, I could definitely see this fit well into something like far cry 2. The big issue I see is that it feels a bit splotchy, like you put a random cloud filter in the spec map. I think it is a bit too noticeable, especially if I can pick it out.
  • Asteric
    Yeah, there is too much going on in the base metal.
  • Kitteh
    Offline / Send Message
    NautalusX wrote: »
    AK11.png

Well guys this is how it turned out. Oh, and yes I did look at many many AK refs when making this. I have next to no experience of how one of these guns are supposed to look, and all refs of this thing are very different. I kinda pieced together parts from all different pics to make it. I know this is no excuse or anything, but an average player that see's this in game, would realize it as an ak and be fine with it :) It depends on how picky the player is I guess.

Let me know what you think of the final please.

Well, that accuracy issue harry pointed out is pretty much impossible to miss, both for the artist and the player :/

Texture overall is a bit too brown and noisy. I find it kind of hard to believe that you looked at tons of AK refs, considering that just about every part of this gun is modeled inaccurately :/ There's not that much variation among AKs.
  • Hoopla!
    Offline / Send Message
    Hoopla! polygon
    just a general fyi here. there are like 50 versions of an "ak 47"

i would chime in with refs but im not sure what model this is supposed to be exactly.

if i had to guess (being an avid shooter) i would say the original ref was of an airsoft or something.

that is not a 7.62 x 54. i know that for sure lol.

NautyX: i like the model and think it looks pretty nice, but the texture seems to have like a large blotchy dark overlay or something.

anyway, nice work man, keep em coming.
  • Racer445
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    Any good airsoft manufacturer tries to make accurate copies of the real thing. I have never seen an AK variant, real or airsoft, that looks like this. It's likely just a misreading of the references.
  • bluekangaroo
    Offline / Send Message
    Hoopla! wrote: »
    just a general fyi here. there are like 50 versions of an "ak 47"

that is not a 7.62 x 54. i know that for sure lol.

from my research there are more like hundreds of versions. And that version right there is definitely a 7.62 x 54 mm. an easy way to tell is by the more bent/curved magazine
  • Krazy8
    guys guys your getting your caliber wrong lol. 7.62x54R is a much longer caliber than the standard 7.62x39 which is the STANDARD AK47 round. Your varients include 5.56x45 and 5.45x39.
    The 7.62x54R is on the far left and the 7.62x39 is right next to it. Big difference lol.
    P1070008.jpg
  • Krazy8
    I will post my actual AK that I own so you can see the difference in this thread. It is a standard 7.62x39 but it has some AK74 features like the gas block and the muzzlebrake.
    kyleak2smallwatermarked.jpg
    You can see that the gas tube is wrong on your ak NautalusX. Your fire select is way to short as well. I havn't shown it but your underfolder stock is also wrong. It is not a solid piece of metal like that .

030.jpg
    If you look at this AK you can see a lot of the flaws.

I'm showing you this because it looks like you just looked at a side reference and didn't look at any other angle. I hope this helps you in making it more accurate.
  • Grimm_Wrecking
    Offline / Send Message
    Grimm_Wrecking polycounter lvl 8
    EricV wrote: »
    from my research there are more like hundreds of versions. And that version right there is definitely a 7.62 x 54 mm. an easy way to tell is by the more bent/curved magazine

762vs556

There are a number of factors, its somewhere in between to me.

From the side perspective
    #1. doesn't look long enough to be 7.62.
    #2. it is too tall to be 5.56

imo, it is closer to a 7.62 but all in all its hard to tell.

It looks like a cross between a .556 ak-74u and a 7.62 ak-47, which puts it in the realm of 6.5/6.8 and I'm not even sure there's an ak made in that cal, though it wouldn't surprise me.

I've fired a 5.56 (its like a bb gun!) and to me that is a heavier looking gun than that.
    Originally Posted by racer 445
    Any good airsoft manufacturer tries to make accurate copies of the real thing. I have never seen an AK variant, real or airsoft, that looks like this. It's likely just a misreading of the references.

qft, though airsoft is innacurate to an extent, though mostly in subtle details probably due to the fact its not made to fire actual power ammunition.

That being said, I used the 7.62x51 which isn't the standard round for any ak, but its the only close comparison I found within 10seconds of google and me being lazy. Close enough for a comparison though.

overall decent just tweak it up a bit and it'll be :thumbup::thumbup:
    cocking handle's too small, and round out the hole in the front sight a bit.

the images krazy8 posted should help out. Though what is the specific variant of ak thats shown Krazy? (all in all I'm not reaaaaal familiar with ak's always thought they're ugly as sin, good craftsmanship, but hideous)
  • bluekangaroo
    Offline / Send Message
    then its just a minor scaling issue and an easy fix. You're right Krazy I meant 7.62 x 39. whoooop deeeee doooooo. I say it is def the standard 7.62 mag because if you look at the shape of the magazines here you will notice the 7.62 is more banana shaped while the5.56 is a lot more straight. they are very distinct
  • Krazy8
    To me it looks like he tried to make a Chinese or Bulgarian underfolder. I showed my AK which was imported as a Saiga from Russia and then converted by Arsenal to be what AK you see now. The desert tan looking one looks like a romanian or bulgarian underfolder maybe on an american reciever.

EDIT - @ EricV lol I kinda figured I wasnt giving you shit I knew what you were saying because what you were telling him to look at the magazines which you were right.

EDIT- Also it looks like he is modeling a Chinese magazine as well. If you look at the ribs a lot of chinese mags are like that.
  • NautalusX
    Thanks to all for your great replies, lots of good tips yall gave. I'll make some adjustments to it, but it's mostly finished and moving on to another project. Well this is my first model with diffuse, normal, and spec. I'm actually suprised it even came out looking decent lol. I've learned alot though, and my next model will deff be easier to make since I wont have to stop every few secs to look up tuts. Thanks Racer especially for your awesome videos, learned alot of little tips from it with modeling and texturing. Till next time then cya..

and btw I had no specific ak I was trying to make.. It was just a generic one I made from a ton of different pics. Which now I realize is a big mistake. Would have been easier to pick a specific model and get alot of pics on that model.
  • Krazy8
    For your first time doing it you did learn alot! I commend you. At least you learned a lot of important stuff haha. Good job none the less.
  • Racer445
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    qft, though airsoft is innacurate to an extent, though mostly in subtle details probably due to the fact its not made to fire actual power ammunition.

Actually the main inaccuracies usually lay on minor width issues which no one would ever notice. Most electric AR based airsoft rifles for example are wider than normal to fit the gearbox. Blame Tokyo Marui for that one.

Furthermore anyone who says never to use airsoft guns as a ref is a fool. All the common (non walmart) manufacturers produce weapons that are 98% accurate. Higher end weapons ($200+) are near perfect replicas, especially gas guns. I assume the hatred towards airsoft ref pics must stem from someone using a $20 walmart clearsoft gun as a ref at some point. :poly141:
  • Hoopla!
    Offline / Send Message
    Hoopla! polygon
    the reason i said airsoft was due the the barrel being bee bee sized.
    not even a .223 would fit thru there.
  • Kitteh
    Offline / Send Message
    Hoopla! wrote: »
    the reason i said airsoft was due the the barrel being bee bee sized.
    not even a .223 would fit thru there.

airsoft bb's are .236 :P
  • bbob
    Also, proper airsoft guns have the correct barrel width, with the 6mm copper barrel concealed half an inch inside the outer barrel. So you really will not notice unless you are looking straight into the barrel.
  • GarageBay9
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    Racer445 wrote: »
    Actually the main inaccuracies usually lay on minor width issues which no one would ever notice. Most electric AR based airsoft rifles for example are wider than normal to fit the gearbox. Blame Tokyo Marui for that one.

Furthermore anyone who says never to use airsoft guns as a ref is a fool. All the common (non walmart) manufacturers produce weapons that are 98% accurate. Higher end weapons ($200+) are near perfect replicas, especially gas guns. I assume the hatred towards airsoft ref pics must stem from someone using a $20 walmart clearsoft gun as a ref at some point. :poly141:

Usually the inaccuracies between airsoft guns and the real thing are similar to the level of inaccuracies between plastic model kits and real aircraft. Only the 'rivet counters' (the people who are obsessed enough to count rivets on an airplane) will get upset.

However, there are frequently one or two significant differences. First good example I can think of is the filling port from an airsoft P90 magazine that ended up on a game model in one of the Rainbox 6 games... I know there's also one that I've run into on my TM G36CE compared to the real one, but I can't remember off the top of my head what it is.

Then there's some of the SVD Dragunov airsoft copies I've seen, one of which was actually a Romanian PSL (completely different gun), and another of which didn't actually resemble a Dragunov at all.

All comes back to refs... know your subject, know your references, figure out what you're looking at before you start building. :)