Home Dota 2

Dota 2 Monthly Community Competition #18 - AUGUST

Replies

• Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    Is anyone able to dl workshop model files? none seem to be working for me.
  • gamedivisionuk
    Baddcog wrote: »
    Is anyone able to dl workshop model files? none seem to be working for me.

What do you mean download workshop files
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Download workshop files.

Lol, the hero packs on the worshop requirements page. I also picked up some malware in firefox somehow that keeps popping up vids, I think it might be blocking links from going through, i dunno. Hmmm, I had Sendori on my comp for some reason, dont remember.
    Think it was the issue, files dling fine now.
  • gamedivisionuk
    Download workshop files.

Lol, the hero packs on the worshop requirements page. I also picked up some malware in firefox somehow that keeps popping up vids, I think it might be blocking links from going through, i dunno. Hmmm, I had Sendori on my comp for some reason, dont remember.
    Think it was the issue, files dling fine now.

Yeah I can download files no problem
  • Q-ro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Q-ro, better get all those links up like first page says in one post ;)

OMG, sorry, i had entirely forgotten about it.

Battle saw of the dragon lord by Q-ro

Marketing.jpg
  • Vovosunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vovosunt polycounter lvl 4
    Hey guys!
    Managed to scramble up this thing in the last few days! :D

Dragon's Breath by Vovosunt

9D489027C7FF91FAD962BC6932DA2311D666C94D

and wips:
    tumblr_nb3cldFDNH1tb5l04o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nb3cldFDNH1tb5l04o2_400.jpg
  • Reza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reza polycounter lvl 3
    Shock wrote: »
    - riding heroes: chen, mirana, batrider, abbadon, luna, *gyro*, alchi lol, ck, disrupter, kotl, *timber*

yes! :)
  • Reyne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reyne polycounter lvl 6
    Began painting up the diffuse texture for this a few hours ago when my Intuos 5 died on me. Man, sadness. Anyway, I Might get some more work done on it with a tablet I can borrow tomorrow, but I don't think I will have it done for the monthly competition.

Teach me for starting so late.

Anyway, imma go cry some more.

Good luck everyone, keep up the hard work :3

bBwdVNQ.jpg
  • RNGesus.is.Love
    Reyne wrote: »
    Began painting up the diffuse texture for this a few hours ago when my Intuos 5 died on me. Man, sadness. Anyway, I Might get some more work done on it with a tablet I can borrow tomorrow, but I don't think I will have it done for the monthly competition.

Teach me for starting so late.

Anyway, imma go cry some more.

Good luck everyone, keep up the hard work :3

bBwdVNQ.jpg

Use a mouse :D
  • Reyne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reyne polycounter lvl 6
    Believe it or not I am even worse than that with a mouse.

XD
  • LooNaTicK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ~~>http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=305741846<~~
    More screenshots here
    Gcb72.gif

.............But Abaddon was always one apart. Where others trained with weapons, he bent himself to meditation in the presence of the mist. He drank deep from the vapors that welled from the Font, learning to blend his spirit with the potency that flowed from far beneath the House; he became a creature of the black mist........
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    Reza wrote: »
    hey
    As I said last month I think limiting the heroes will make the competition less diverse and less fun :D

but if we dont put any limitation the idea of people learning from other works will be less effective.

One more thing I'd like to mention is about the prize. well since this is just a community competition and it's also not sponsored, why don't the community members raise a prize using dota 2's currency, Random Rare. so if anyone who attends the competition or is a part of polycount just gives 2-3 random rares by the end of the month we will have a good amount of items which can be given to the first 4-5 winners :)
    If everyone agrees to this idea, we can think about collecting the items and distributing it later :)

i like it! we will need someone to gather the items and give in the end
    I think it would help the commitment if you need to give one rare item to participate =]

Gathering the ideas
    - insects
    - Invisible heroes
    - anti invisibility heroes
    - bows/arrows and guns/explosives
    - riding heroes: chen, mirana, batrider, abbadon, luna, *gyro*, alchi lol, ck, disrupter, kotl, *timber*
    - nature elements: tiny, treant, morph, earthshaker - maybe also add heros that use those elements without beeing it itself would also work.
    - ice and fire: lina, cm, clinkz, drow, dk, emberspirit, huskar, lich, ogremage, tusk
    next theme is more dota-game addicted one:
    - hardlane heroes: darkseer, clockwerk, bountyhunter, windrunner, mirana, weaver, furion

- high tech heroes (compared to the others): gyro, sniper, clock, TECHIES, (tinker), timbersaw

----

A lot of ideas this month =]
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like riders a lot. Covers armor and weaps but also mounts for more of a challenge.
    Also covers animals, magic and tech. Great range of options.
  • schnoodle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    schnoodle polycounter lvl 3
    How about an Undead theme for next month?

like Undying, Necrophos, Clinkz, and Lich. I really want to make a Lich item.

Or maybe we should save this one for October since it's so close.
  • HFresch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have had some themes in mind:

- Late-game carries (Anti-mage, Lycan, Terrorblade, Medusa etc)
    - Light theme (Keeper of the Light, Chen, Skywrath Mage, Omniknight)

Also, I like the ideas of Ice & Fire-theme, as well as Anti-invisibility heroes!
  • Q-ro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    who about, weather heroes ?
  • danpaz3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danpaz3d polycounter lvl 7
    I actually like the mounts idea.

But make it a bit more restrictive, make it only mounts are allowed.
    For example, Batrider, only the mount, no other items like the head or cape.

That's my vote, only mounts.
  • Reza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reza polycounter lvl 3
    Tvidotto wrote: »
    but if we dont put any limitation the idea of people learning from other works will be less effective.

We had this discussion before :D (+) and (+)
  • BladeofEvilsBane
  • Vovosunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vovosunt polycounter lvl 4
    I like the Mounts idea.
    You can have so much fun with them (just look at all the awesome stuff coming out in the main thread :D )
    I, personally wanted to make one for quite a while too :P
  • RNGesus.is.Love
    Mounts will be quite a challenge. but I prefer simple items
  • cagdasx44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I liked all the ideas.
    I have an idea about rare items. İf we gonna collect items to participate we shouldnt give the all items to the first place, we should gice items to best 5 entries, like. 1.place 5 rare, 2. Place 4rare and so on...
  • Aitnar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm really craving a bow/gun challenge. Sounds like a lot of fun and a lot to learn.
  • Paskie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sword The Red Wyrm by Paskie

200x200.resizedimage
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We had this discussion before :D (+) and (+)

yep, i remember that

is just that if we get one type of item for a month challenge it is like 80 different color schemes and silhouette, if we go for couple heroes, lets get 5, it can get to maximum of 25 to 30 items with less variation between then

we could get back to that one month, is up to you guys to decide

---
    for now counting the votes we have more on mounts idea, and seconded by bow/arrow and guns

we still have one more day to decide since in some places are still day 31
  • Aitnar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Paskie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm up for mounts too!
  • Paskie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have an idea for the contest. How would you feel about having a different logo each month? Similar to Markmans Pick-up post on Neogaf. We could take turns on making one. Perhaps it would be a nice exercise with some 2D art. What say you?
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I dont want to add logos tp my stuff
    In game ads arr tacky imo.
  • Paskie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think you missunderstood me :) I did not mean on your submissions, I meant like a banner on the top post in this thread, like the pick-up post at neogaf. Every month there is usually a new logo on the OP for that month.
  • Markovnikov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Markovnikov polycounter lvl 6
    @Paskie you're gonna need to provide us with an example here, I think. A proper visual one at that. XP

For the next theme, my vote goes towards the mounties.
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paskie wrote: »
    I think you missunderstood me :) I did not mean on your submissions, I meant like a banner on the top post in this thread, like the pick-up post at neogaf. Every month there is usually a new logo on the OP for that month.

i like the idea, we could work something with polycount and see if the could advertise on the main page

----

we got one more vote on mounts so i think we can consider it decided

It will be a little harder but adding some contrasts on the difficult may be a good motivation for everyone

I will get those 2 last months and gather some judges and let you guys know the result as soon as I get at least 3 voting

--

Btw, we may get some news for next month, I will let you guys know as soon as i have more information

--

About the Items pool for next month, is there someone up to organize that? could be a testing thing for now and not mandatory. We can list items that we want to give and:
    1- let with someone to keep them till the end of the month
    2 - post the names/pictures and in the end the winner share the link to trade and everyone gives him the items

Cheers!
  • [NB] Mohsen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [NB] Mohsen polycounter lvl 3
    I got a couple of rares that I dont need for the prize? And put a third vote on the mounts
  • cagdasx44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mounts? Is it only mounts or heroes who has mounts? Mounts are really hard so and they will probably limit the entries so mounted heroes would be better I guess.
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Mounts sounds like a great theme.

About the banners, would be cool to have something up on Polycount's features at the top. I tried something really quick:

EHPrsm5.jpg

GdVAy7O.jpg

1ksZqVY.jpg

Having one banner into the rotation every month would be super nice! Would help attracting more people to the competition.
  • Markovnikov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Markovnikov polycounter lvl 6
    @cagdasx44: Wouldn't be fun if it wasn't challenging. :)
  • Vayne4800
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vayne4800 polycounter lvl 3
    I hate it when people say that mounts or big complex models are challenging. It is as challenging to make some simple prop like blades look REALLY good and interesting as well. People need to think of that too when deciding what is challenging.

We are making items that would be small ingame but have yet to have the correct amount of detail for them to be noticed, that is also challenging as well.

Just throwing this in as I feel there is the misconception of what is challenging around here.
  • Reyne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reyne polycounter lvl 6
    I guess the difference that worries most people is that understanding rigid geometry is a lot easier than understanding animal anatomy and more advanced rigging. I can understand a feeling that a month may not provide the time to learn the anatomy/organic modelling skills that they want.

I know that I find it easier to draw a weapon that I think looks good than an anatomically correct beast.

I am not saying that the challenge isn't a good thing and I would be interested in seeing a mounts challenge month and might give it a go myself. I know that you have put the time into making a set with a mount in it but you don't think there were any extra challenges with the organics?
  • danpaz3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Those banner ideas are great. I support that.

In regards to the mounts theme, I'm still for it. Mostly because it hasn't been done before. Although it might be an overwhelming idea for new people, trust me that you'll learn a LOT by doing it. Don't be afraid that it might not turn out great.

I've only made 1 mount, but I learnt so much that I now know exactly what NOT to do. Hence why I left it in my workshop, I look at it every now and then and think "don't do that again".

Also, I think 1 month is a fair amount of time for a mount.
  • Paskie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome Belkun! Perfect!
    And people should not be discouraged by making mounts for the first time. It's fun!
    There are a lot of people here you can ask if you have issues. The thing i felt was the hardest part is the smooth bind options which you have to tweak when binding. Experiment away! You learn a lot from the process as the others said.
  • deolol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    deolol polycounter lvl 6
    When is sept coming? Id like to try it :P
  • Vayne4800
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danpaz3d wrote: »
    In regards to the mounts theme, I'm still for it. Mostly because it hasn't been done before.

COUGH...http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126425...COUGH

Oh, where did that come from...
  • Sylei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sylei polycounter lvl 5
    I think there has been enough themes proposed here to not recyle old ones, and enough heroes not chosen yet. 2 of the 4 heroes in August had a mount, but still there was only one made (if i am not mistaken) when I expected to see more.
    You shouldn't wait for a mount competition to be "forced" to make one if you wanted to in the first place.

I personaly like when there is one or more heroes with mount in the selection for another theme, like August.
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I thought , riders, was a fine theme. It focuses on moungies but leaves other items open. We dont want to limit the dntrirs pool. Mounts are tougher due to polycounts geo and rigging
    They still have the same challenge converning detsils. Takes longer to sculpt a large piece etc...
  • GhostDetector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GhostDetector polycounter lvl 10
    Vayne4800 wrote: »

you can't expect people to remember something from 11 months ago. (but we should totally do summons and mounts next month)
  • Aitnar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I thought , riders, was a fine theme. It focuses on moungies but leaves other items open. We dont want to limit the dntrirs pool. Mounts are tougher due to polycounts geo and rigging
    They still have the same challenge converning detsils. Takes longer to sculpt a large piece etc...

I completely agree with Baddcog on this one. I'd rather see the theme be Riders instead of mounts only.
  • Vayne4800
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you can't expect people to remember something from 11 months ago.

I Expect NOTHING!
  • Paskie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I Expect NOTHING!

tumblr_mu1kwrrBku1rvner1o1_250.gif
  • Shock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shock polycounter lvl 5
    also my theme idea was not only about mounts. it also included the ridering heroes itself as well.
  • danpaz3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

luUae0D.gif

Actually, the summons idea is good too. Furion, Brood, Venom, Lycan etc...