Home General Discussion

Incoming dynamic booleans Modo 701 plug-in

Replies

• iniside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside polycounter lvl 6
    I don't see Mesh Fusion as entier new workflow (IDK why even consider any new tool as entire new workflow). Did you guy even tried to cut wood plank in half using hammer ?

Mesh Fusion will just solve one problem with all those fucking annoying cuts, that are really hard to model and/or to time consuming.

I was always fan of boolean modeling, as it is very easy, to make very complex shapes, just so far there wasn't good enough tool on the market. And pleas, don't tell me about zbrush. It's probably good. If I could get over GUI for this part ;p.

I will gladly try it. After they fix FBX ;p.
  • artquest
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artquest polycounter lvl 13
    iniside wrote: »
    I don't see Mesh Fusion as entier new workflow (IDK why even consider any new tool as entire new workflow). Did you guy even tried to cut wood plank in half using hammer ?

Mesh Fusion will just solve one problem with all those fucking annoying cuts, that are really hard to model and/or to time consuming.

I was always fan of boolean modeling, as it is very easy, to make very complex shapes, just so far there wasn't good enough tool on the market. And pleas, don't tell me about zbrush. It's probably good. If I could get over GUI for this part ;p.

I will gladly try it. After they fix FBX ;p.

Zbrush completely changed the way characters are made. pixologic really shook up the pipeline. Realtime Boolean modeling is an idea that I believe will eventually redefine the hard surface pipeline completely.

It's exciting! Why hold on to the past methods if there's a more efficient way of doing this? If the tools evolve enough to the point where we don't ever have to touch the underlying topology of a polygon object then that sounds just fine to me!

On the other hand I'm a rationalist and I know it'll be awhile before that happens.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Thanks for linking those threads, artquest.
    This:
    009040cae72c39fc46e001b9da4eca74.jpg

This is extremely interesting. Might not be much for people used to regular, detailed, greebly hard-surface, but coming from a car guy I'll say this is extremely impressive. The cut made into that bumper is just perfect, the edge control is spot-on. It would take me hours to achieve that quality, and it would be very hard to do adjustments afterwards, while he probably whipped this up pretty quickly.

Anyway, carry on if you think cars are stupid and easy and this does not excite you in the slightest ;)
  • artquest
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul wrote: »
    Thanks for linking those threads, artquest.
    This:
    009040cae72c39fc46e001b9da4eca74.jpg

This is extremely interesting. Might not be much for people used to regular, detailed, greebly hard-surface, but coming from a car guy I'll say this is extremely impressive. The cut made into that bumper is just perfect, the edge control is spot-on. It would take me hours to achieve that quality, and it would be very hard to do adjustments afterwards, while he probably whipped this up pretty quickly.

Anyway, carry on if you think cars are stupid and easy and this does not excite you in the slightest ;)

I've never modeled a car, but having taken a few industrial design classes at college for creative studies in Detroit... I know cars are extremely difficult in almost every respect! Just drawing cars is very difficult to not have it come out looking like a toy. Incredible attention is given to the most subtle of details. All this to say... I somewhat understand car people. :)

(Being no expert on the subject of modeling cars in 3d.) I was very impressed by the result. I'm glad a car enthusiast has given the stamp of approval too! I'm pretty excited to see where that thread goes in particular.
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    iniside wrote: »

Gf9nVWD.jpg
  • SurlyBird
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SurlyBird polycounter lvl 13
    I'm a long-time Modo user (since 301), but I didn't upgrade to 701 and therefore, haven't jumped on the MeshFusion train. I think the tech is super-cool and would love to use it, but I probably won't and it has nothing to do with the technology (which I think is awesome).

My only real hesitation in cracking open the wallet at this point is that the past few jobs I have had, all the positions I have applied for and the job I currently have do not use Modo and have not been friendly to bringing in outside tools into the pipeline. This is a trend I have seen repeat itself consistently for the past two or three years. It's gotten to the point that I have kind of given up on using Modo for anything other than hobby work or personal projects. My bread and butter has to be in Maya...has to be. So...as cool as any non-Autodesk tool is, I wouldn't be able to use it where I work and therefore it is almost pointless for me to spend money on this. And I kind of hate that. I love learning new tools and enjoying the benefits of forward-thinking technology. And this is very forward-thinking tech.

Freelancers who get to call their own shots when it comes to pipelines probably don't have these concerns, but I've not been able to make freelancing viable.
  • artquest
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SurlyBird wrote: »
    I'm a long-time Modo user (since 301), but I didn't upgrade to 701 and therefore, haven't jumped on the MeshFusion train. I think the tech is super-cool and would love to use it, but I probably won't and it has nothing to do with the technology (which I think is awesome).

My only real hesitation in cracking open the wallet at this point is that the past few jobs I have had, all the positions I have applied for and the job I currently have do not use Modo and have not been friendly to bringing in outside tools into the pipeline. This is a trend I have seen repeat itself consistently for the past two or three years. It's gotten to the point that I have kind of given up on using Modo for anything other than hobby work or personal projects. My bread and butter has to be in Maya...has to be. So...as cool as any non-Autodesk tool is, I wouldn't be able to use it where I work and therefore it is almost pointless for me to spend money on this. And I kind of hate that. I love learning new tools and enjoying the benefits of forward-thinking technology. And this is very forward-thinking tech.

Freelancers who get to call their own shots when it comes to pipelines probably don't have these concerns, but I've not been able to make freelancing viable.

This is true, but I'm seeing more and more of the foundry eyeing that market share that autodesk has. They seem to be positioning themselves to take on autodesk. Mari seems to be used quite a bit in film and commericals/anything prerendered.

I'm honestly hoping to see some fierce competition between these two companies in the near future. I want to see big innovations and Autodesk has been too comfortable on top of it's throne lately. We need people to be early adopters of this tech so it can gain more traction in the industry.

If I already owned modo 701 I would probably have already bought mesh fusion. But right now it's a bit too much of an unknown to drop $1800 on (modo 701 license + mesh fusion plug in).
  • JamesTKirk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesTKirk polycounter lvl 8
    I'm very exited!
    This plugin could do same thing to hard surface that zbrush has done to organic modeling.
    Although I was hoping it would generate lowest level of SubD, not the collapsed dense mesh. Also I've heard that modo doesn't really have top notch viewport performance so i'm worried about speed with complex objects.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Wasn't there a plugin out there that attempts to rebuild the cage mesh from a subdivided model?
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've seen a few of those.

The problem right now is that MeshFusion meshes aren't entirely quads. There are triangles where the loops inserted at intersection points stitch up to the surrounding geometry. Getting back from there would be too much for most automated tools, I imagine...
  • WilliamVaughan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WilliamVaughan greentooth
    Ran Across this discussion and thought I'd jump in. I've been using Mesh Fusion quite a bit so if you have any questions fire away. I also saw someone asking for a mesh so I posted one in OBJ format for anyone interested.

you can get it here: http://community.thefoundry.co.uk/discussion/post.aspx?f=9&t=84109&p=759949

I have a few threads with example already mentioned but here are sum direct links:

Loads of examples and free source files: http://community.thefoundry.co.uk/discussion/topic.aspx?f=9&t=84109

Tachikoma create din one session with MF:
    http://community.thefoundry.co.uk/discussion/topic.aspx?f=8&t=84108

MF Wrech with free source files:
    http://community.thefoundry.co.uk/discussion/topic.aspx?f=8&t=84368

MF Mic based on Snowball mic:
    http://community.thefoundry.co.uk/discussion/topic.aspx?f=9&t=84286

This area is easily missed but lots of great threads of people working with MF and loads of free source files:
    http://community.thefoundry.co.uk/discussion/forum.aspx?f=149

As I mentioned... ask any questions and I'll do my bets to answer. I absolutely love MF and think it's a major game changer for modeling. I'm modeling hardsurface work faster then I have in the past 2 decades.

enjoy.
  • DInusty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DInusty polycounter lvl 17
    dear god.... this is impressive. i need to learn modo still :( got some basics but thats about it...
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Quack! wrote: »
    This is a fact, but the time saved from using Mesh Fusion, instead of the standard modelling methods, more then makes up for it.
    Definitely. Although after watching Ben Bolton's weapon creation video again it occurs that you could avoid this problem in some (most?) cases by starting with a detailed blockout. The blockout becomes both your high and low, so you wouldn't be at a disadvantage from using MF. Here's the vid in question. I think that workflow makes a lot of sense and could be very fast with MF.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Excellent points, Bek!
  • Obizzz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obizzz polycounter lvl 5
    Xoliul wrote: »

I'm the guy behind that project and I'm as excited as you are. You are correct in that it was pretty quick to setup and I even had to change the shape of the bumper slightly after cutting the whole and it was a walk in the park. I think it might sometimes be hard to see if the shape is correct or not before adding the cuts so that is really another bonus.

I just want to wrap up my current project for a client so I can go back to that model.
  • WilliamVaughan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Added this older Mesh Fusion video this morning:
    https://vimeo.com/87854599
  • Quack!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    Awesome video William.

Mesh Fusion has cause me to start saving up for Modo. I have meant to make the plunge a while ago, but this was the push I need.
  • artquest
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A few new questions about mesh fusion... I just picked it up but haven't had the chance to really mess with it much.

1) how do the baked meshes look after applying something like catmul clark subdivision? Do they smooth well enough to then apply displacements or even send to zbrush for detailing?

2) why does the darker grid disappear when using the fusion model tab? As someone who is new to modo this is quite confusing as I lose all sense of the origin.
  • WilliamVaughan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    1- Loads up just fine in Zbrush for detailing... just be aware that the converted mesh will contain Triangles.

2- That is a display option that you can easily activate in the settings for that viewport. Click on the little gear icon in the top right corner and in the visibility tab activate show grid
  • WilliamVaughan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you've been wanting to give either MODO 701 or MeshFusion a test drive... or both, use this link to get your hands on demo version:

DEMOS

Use that special link and if you decide to purchase MODO, they will add a discount for 25% off the MODO 701 Individual License price when you add both MODO and MeshFusion to your cart. Hurry as this offer won't last for long!
  • MDiamond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MDiamond polycounter lvl 10
    Added this older Mesh Fusion video this morning:
    https://vimeo.com/87854599

This is exactly the kind of video that I feel the community needs. There a lot of videos showing basic functionality of the plugin and how to set up stuff, but videos showing workflows with practical examples are really appreciated.

I tried to create complex panel lines-like bisectors but never really got the results I wanted. It seems like creating bisectors is a lot easier in MeshFusion 102, at least it seems so according to this video. Is that correct?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S44rYWyLn6M
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, it's vastly improved in 102. They even went so far as to include some new preset meshes that are very thin, designed to be bisectors...
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Is it possible to generate Meshfusion operands out of freehand spline sketches, drawn in screen space ? (while of course keeping the control points editable for later, and while allowing for free positioning of the shape created from the extrusion of the spline)

Something like this :
    https://vimeo.com/24817333

(sorry for the hesitant offscreen manipulations - I didn't had the technique streamlined by then !)
  • artquest
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior wrote: »
    Is it possible to generate Meshfusion operands out of freehand spline sketches, drawn in screen space ? (while of course keeping the control points editable for later, and while allowing for free positioning of the shape created from the extrusion of the spline)

Something like this :
    https://vimeo.com/24817333

(sorry for the hesitant offscreen manipulations - I didn't had the technique streamlined by then !)

That sorta looks like modo's workplane feature :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=MeiNQ-RoIJ0#t=219

I imagine if you use the freehand spline sketch tool to create a polygon object in modo, mesh fusion wouldn't have any trouble with it at.
  • groboto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi everybody,

…just wanted to mention that we continue refine MeshFusion. Changes that make it more viable for detailed hard surface models have been implemented in the last few months — and more are just around the corner.

Below are a few WIP models I'm working on (and the WIP threads).

Best Wishes,
    Darrel

http://community.thefoundry.co.uk/discussion/topic.aspx?f=9&t=86544
    http://community.thefoundry.co.uk/discussion/topic.aspx?f=9&t=87735

dragonFly-47DuoA.jpg

BBCduoA.jpg

ufoid801-53Quad.jpg
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    Hi Darrel! It's nice to see you posting on Polycount. Great work on Meshfusion, I am looking forward to any future Modo developments.

I think a large question on everyone's mind is whether this tech will ever be seen in other 3D software Suites.

Great work so far!
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Oh - for some reason in never occurred to me that Meshfusion was actually based on Groboto tech. Very interesting !