Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

LOW-POLY ART

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
hawken polycounter lvl 19
This is the sweet spot for your low-poly models. Post 'em if you've got 'em!

Low-poly hasn't really been a requirement in the games industry for a long while now. This thread is for low-poly art style appreciation, so please take note of these rough guidelines:
  • Keep models under 1,000 triangles.
  • Scenes are fine, if all models are low poly.
Some dedicated low-poly modelling tools now exist that make this art style a lot easier to produce; Crocotile3D & Blockbench

Here's a handy list of ways to make your art look right in mainstream 3D software: Low-Poly Art Style Guide

Replies

• Wackimation
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pass No.2 of my exercise, added a head and tweaked the body. Will add a texture and rig. 648 tris.
    1098386_620104784730247_591527023_n.jpg
  • ZJacko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There is some really inspiring stuff on here I hope one day I can achieve the same standard of work, Hey guys I'm a first year college student at Tameside college. This was some quick assets I had to make. Really bad atm haha but Practise makes perfect ey? :)5839579_orig.png
  • nellyb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nellyb polycounter lvl 5
    Decided to give hand painting a texture a try, here's the result:

boatTexturing.gifboatRender.jpg
    [SKETCHFAB]d59c813bdcf049ebb86d1e0ee5df7ff6[/SKETCHFAB]
  • AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AimBiZ polycounter lvl 14
    nellyb: Looks nice but why did you make separate planks along the hull? Boats aren't constructed that way.
  • WorldWithoutWords
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WorldWithoutWords polycounter lvl 6
    Long time lurker on here but I wanna start posting a lot from now! :3
    Here's a low poly Kokiri Forest stage I just finished for a SSB64 mod.
    639 Tris without the SkullKids+Particles. 1.8k Tris all together.
    Each SkullKid is 565 Tris I wanted to get them a lot lower but I failed haha.
    2iSFMdf.png
    gbpfb6K.png

Btw I've uploaded the scene to sketchfab but I have no idea how to embed it into the post, the little 'Embed 3D' buttons don't seem to do anything at all so here's the link if you wanna chegg it out : 3. https://skfb.ly/y8pK
  • nellyb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nellyb polycounter lvl 5
    AimBiZ wrote: »
    nellyb: Looks nice but why did you make separate planks along the hull? Boats aren't constructed that way.

A friend of mine said the exact same thing. The initial reference I used for the model had planks this way (probably not as many cuts as mine) and I didn't look at any references while texturing.
    I'll probably end up going back and fixing this
  • Quakeulf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quakeulf polycounter lvl 9
    (Fuck getting logged out while I type in the reply only to lose everything I wrote. :poly127:)

Anyhow, here are some models from my game Catmouth Island:

Main character Mya at 298 triangles (512^2 textyuur):
    phew.PNG

Female NPC at 272 triangles (part of a 4096^2 atlas):
    policewoman1.PNG

Male NPC at 266 triangles, and arcade cabinet at 35 (part of a 4096^2 atlas):
    gamer.gif

Male NPC at 252 triangles (part of a 4096^2 atlas):
    animatedguy.gif

Chimney smoke icospheres at 20 triangles each (also used for the dust that gets kicked up when you run):
    pipesmaug.1.gif

And a bonus shot of the village on the southern part of the main island:
    catmoufs4.PNG
  • javerte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello, I'd like some critique please. This is my first model ever. I wanted a cartoony look with the textures a bit pixellized like i see sometimes. There are 646 tris and texture size is 250x250. The details I've drawn are really random.. What do you think i could improve?
    Thanks!

DnaXfzE.png

i4pbvf7.png

9obuKyE.gif
  • NotExactly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NotExactly polycounter lvl 4
    There's a lot of wasted UV space - I like the design, though
  • darkmag07
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    darkmag07 polycounter lvl 12
    @Quakeulf: Your art style and color palette reminds me of Windwaker.
  • Quakeulf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quakeulf polycounter lvl 9
    darkmag07 wrote: »
    @Quakeulf: Your art style and color palette reminds me of Windwaker.
    Yes, it's supposed to be a mix of N64-style graphics and Wind Waker. :3
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    @Quakeulf - I really like the art style of this! The environment looks fantastic! Keep going :)
  • AlexKola
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexKola polycounter lvl 9
    Long time lurker on here but I wanna start posting a lot from now! :3
    Here's a low poly Kokiri Forest stage I just finished for a SSB64 mod.
    639 Tris without the SkullKids+Particles. 1.8k Tris all together.
    Each SkullKid is 565 Tris I wanted to get them a lot lower but I failed haha.
    2iSFMdf.png
    gbpfb6K.png

Btw I've uploaded the scene to sketchfab but I have no idea how to embed it into the post, the little 'Embed 3D' buttons don't seem to do anything at all so here's the link if you wanna chegg it out : 3. https://skfb.ly/y8pK

YESS!

Ventura.gif
  • asax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    asax polycounter lvl 5
    This is the bad guys hide out in a fictitious game. please load the unity web player to check it out! but watch out your volume..

I know it's a bit different and I hope you guys enjoy it, the whole thing took me 5 weeks. :poly142: :thumbup:

http://asatexo.wix.com/pbredow#!thebunzzies/ckiy :poly122:

:poly121:thebunzzies.jpg
  • Sweetangel0467
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sweetangel0467 polycounter lvl 10
    Hi guys! me again :D This time it's less cute stuff and more realistic.
    10015069_10152083396267946_945289867_o.jpg

This one's completely handpainted except for the wood texture base.
    Model was given to us by the teachers :)
  • Cosmicburger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cosmicburger polycounter lvl 8
    Had a lot of caffeine one day and set myself a quick challenge.

chest-showcase-small.png
  • Wackimation
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cosmic - I love the smooth texture. Really smooth modeling as well! :)

So I found the start of an old model I did a while back and I decided to improve, optimize, and re-arrange, to get 2 separate models. I proudly present the RPG Base mesh family, Mr and Mrs:

1003590_622316811175711_1957565512_n.jpg

They each clock in at 342 triangles. They can be optimized to fit any class quite easily, as they are very simple The idea came from the Job system in Bravely Default (love that game). Any advice to improve in the future? (I generally use box-modeling FYI)
  • deep4d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    deep4d polycounter lvl 8
    Clean work Mr. Burger.
  • Yadoob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yadoob polycounter lvl 7
    Hi everyone ! A small first test of texture-painting on Blender (yes, that's a sword, again :poly136: ).

7Q0kldJ.png

x1QoRIW.png

Fantastic thread by the way, I learn a lot of things every time I read it !
  • Revocare
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    5iNNwxO.png

Gamma from Sonic Adventure! 678 tris, gonna use this to re-learn rigging.
  • darkmag07
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    darkmag07 polycounter lvl 12
    @Yadoob: I like the blue-green metal on your uncomposited sword much better than the brown-reddish edging in the final version.

@Revocare: Nice Gamma!
  • Saigo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Quakeulf
    I like how it looks in the screenshots, but I think the outlines are a bit too thick, and it's especially noticeable in the video, plus having pitch black outlines for everything is not such a good idea. Maybe use a different shader that can control the color and thickness of the outlines dynamically, or at least make the ones you use thinner and not completely black. Plus maybe not all objects need to be outlined. The tree outlines look pretty bad IMO.

@asax
    I am blown away.
  • Gunta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gunta polycounter lvl 10
    679 tris
    256x256 Diffuse/Spec/Normal

Seriously, Im abit tired of people using huge textures on this thread. I dont think that a lowpoly thread should contain textures bigger than 512 at max. if not you could make super detailed 2048 textures on a plane and call it lowpoly. kind of ruins the spirit of lowpoly.

sketchfab : https://skfb.ly/z9ry
  • Sweetangel0467
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gunta wrote: »
    679 tris
    Seriously, Im abit tired of people using huge textures on this thread. I dont think that a lowpoly thread should contain textures bigger than 512 at max. if not you could make super detailed 2048 textures on a plane and call it lowpoly. kind of ruins the spirit of lowpoly.

I kind of understand your point. Although with all the remasters of earlier games nowadays it has become quite real that low poly can actually be made prettier with just a slightly bigger texture map.
    In a way it's also cool to see how people can retexture old meshes to make them look nicer don't you think?

Of course this only applies for old meshes that were made by someone else xD
    Seeing meshes that people started making from scratch and then put a super big texture map on is kind of weird indeed. Especially if they don't have a good reason to do so.

Oh well.. what to do about it *shrug*
  • Wendy de Boer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wendy de Boer interpolator
    679 tris
    256x256 Diffuse/Spec/Normal

I also think normal mapped assets kind of ruin the spirit of lowpoly, but that's just me. :poly121:
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    What's the spirit of "low poly"? PS1 graphics? PS2? Smartphone?
    The definition is always changing.
  • Dadibom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    20h1f4.png

First model WIP :)

Edit: 284 tris
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    1999 spirit of lowpoly i think or even earlier, 'ouch'those are a challenge.
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    Personally I think it should be determined as low spec, not low poly. 1,000 triangle character with a normal map can be more in the spirit than a 1,000 triangle shovel with hand painted textures. However generally I agree normal mapping isn't quite the spirit of low spec models.
  • thebamboobear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thebamboobear polycounter lvl 9
    Yadoob wrote: »
    Hi everyone ! A small first test of texture-painting on Blender (yes, that's a sword, again :poly136: ).

http://i.imgur.com/7Q0kldJ.png

http://i.imgur.com/x1QoRIW.png

Fantastic thread by the way, I learn a lot of things every time I read it !

Nice texture, Yadoob :D Love it!
    How do you like Blender for texturing?
  • Yadoob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yadoob polycounter lvl 7
    @darkmag07 : yes, indeed, we kind of lose the initial intention, I though it was for the good but I will try an other cooler (and smaller^^) version, thank you for the remark !

Thanks a lot thebamboobear, you have a very impressive portfolio ! Well, I could talk about Blender for hours :) But I'll make it short about my first attempt on texture paint : the tool is great ! Be able to paint in 3D and 2D at the same time in the same software just make sense to me. There's a lot of cool features and it's really easy and fun. But the thing I love the most is the ability with GLSL to use or bake wathever shader you want (gradient, AO, lighting or fancy-shaders).
    On the darkside, there's some slowdown in 3D when you use big textures or paint on big surfaces (and photoshop is still needed for complex tasks).
    But it's continuously growing and the developer in charge is very open to remarks and new ideas http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?297257-GSOC-2013-MOARZ-texpaint-stuffs/page36 !

PS : If someone is intrested in Texture Paint and want to only use this feature in Blender without learning all the software or complex interface, I could make a short tutorial : the goal will be, for complete stranger to Blender,to just import his/her model, paint on it right away and export her/his texture. I don't know if a lot of people here are concerned but if you do, please tell me (here or by MP), it will be a pleasure to help you.
  • Gunta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gunta polycounter lvl 10
    I also think normal mapped assets kind of ruin the spirit of lowpoly, but that's just me. :poly121:

totaly agree, but since it looks like noone cares, I used n-maps because it was okay to use n-maps in the game the model was to be used in. :)

I think max specs should be 900 tris, 512px a diffuse map only.
  • mcunha98
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mcunha98 polycounter lvl 7
  • nellyb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nellyb polycounter lvl 5
    stevston89 wrote: »
    Personally I think it should be determined as low spec, not low poly. 1,000 triangle character with a normal map can be more in the spirit than a 1,000 triangle shovel with hand painted textures.

shovel?... hand painted textures?...
    only 739 tris though...
    :poly122:

ShovelRender.jpg
    [SKETCHFAB]e5263e1e28b2463e9b3d9b2701d4539b[/SKETCHFAB]

Textureing gif

EDIT: I updated the sketchfab model. Shovel is pointier (thanks for the C&C!)
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    @ nellyb - Looks nice and I like the style, but you could have done it with less than half the polys and it would look pretty much the same. Also could probably do the same with a 256 or at the very most 512. It's nothing personal, but I don't see many scenarios where I would use a shovel that expensive in a game. Still nice piece.
  • Wendy de Boer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wendy de Boer interpolator
    nellyb wrote: »
    shovel?... hand painted textures?...
    only 739 tris though...
    :poly122:

Haha, that's priceless! :poly142:

I like how you did the wood and wraps. I would make the shovel blade a bit more cupped and with a pointed tip, though. If you look at actual shovels, they tend to be shaped like that. Form follows function, afterall.

I think max specs should be 900 tris, 512px a diffuse map only.

Even that is up for interpretation, though! I mean, are we talking a character here? Or how about a... well, shovel? :poly144:

And where does a lowpoly environment fit in? That could easily go over that budget while still being truly low spec.
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    @ DemonPrincess - That's exactly my point. I don't see why you would use anything more than 100 tri's for a shovel in a low spec game (and that is pushing the boundaries). I don't think there should be any limits to the thread, but I think people should evaluate their work a bit more. Do I need 1,000 tris for a small prop? Do I need a 1024 texture when this will only be a few dozen pixels on the screen? Things of that nature. Overall I enjoy this thread quite a bit and don't think it should change too much.
  • Yelle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yelle triangle
    It's up to anyone to interpret their own meaning of 'low-poly' when posting in this thread. For myself, it's just doing things which aren't considered 'high-poly' and seeing how it goes, and where I can improve.
  • Sweetangel0467
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There are seriously so many factors that play a role in how you decide what texture size or triangle count you should take.
    • Is the prop far away from/ close to the camera?
    • Will it be used in a cinematic?
    • Is it a prop that's just set dressing?
    • Is it a main character or just an npc?
    • Will you be able to see the bottom of the prop so it has to be closed or not?
    • For what platform are we talking..
    • Is this a free work and will it not be used in game? If so, that shovel could very well be a good exercise.

It's like what they said before me, as long as people evaluate their prop well enough to the "criteria" everything seems fine by me.

Still, normal maps are soo current gen. It's hard to think of them as "lowpoly" :poly105:
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    JordanN wrote: »
    What's the spirit of "low poly"? PS1 graphics? PS2? Smartphone?
    The definition is always changing.

Its more about the skill it takes to paint an asset really well and have all the detail in the diffuse, rather than relying on normal mapping for details.
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    @ Torch - Riot hand paints all of their assets. They also use normal maps on certain characters. Does that make their stuff any less low spec? My point is that having a normal map doesn't automatically exclude you from being low spec or being in the spirit of low spec.
  • nellyb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nellyb polycounter lvl 5
    stevston89 - thanks! and I fully agree that this wouldn't be practical for most gaming applications.
    This was a training exercise for texturing (I figured it's about time I started putting my wacom to use)
    I know a few areas I would cut down on polys (ie: screws - they should be in the texture...unless this would be used up close, then have LOD versions for when its further off) I also create my textures at 2x the res I would actually use in game. It's easy to scale down, but not to scale up if needed in the future.

DemonPrincess - thanks for the crit! I feel the shovel has enough "cup" in it, maybe the texture detracts from it...but good point with the point! :P

my two cents on the "low poly criteria"
    As others have said, it really depends on what your final application for the object is going to be. Low poly is subjective not black and white.

Sweetangel0467's list is great for beginning a new project.

As for normal maps, the reason they exist is to keep polygon counts lower on models. They seem like a perfect match for this thread.
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    @ nellyb - yeah was only talking about practical application. For training I see no problem with it. I think you could use some more color variation. Put some dark reds in to the shadow areas of the wood. Also put some more colors in the metal ( greens and purples). It might be cool to add some dirt on the the blade of the shovel as well.
  • silvershrimp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    asax wrote: »

Awesome! Twerking rabbits and a dancing car. You might as well have a youtube video embedded, took me a few days to get around to updating my unity plugin so I could see it.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Anytime something uses more than 100 triangles and a 32² it's no longer lowpoly. And if it's a crate, you're only allowed to use 8 triangles. There.

NellyB - what's more, by having a sharper point it will also make the curved sides of the shovel feel more rounded A because they are and B because of the shape contrast.
  • Spacey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spacey polycounter lvl 18
    I feel bad for not contributing to this thread much lately, but I thought I'd chime in on this discussion.

The spirit of low poly is just that: spirit. There shouldn't be any hard set rules. I don't agree with the "sub ~1000 triangle" description in the title, either, for reasons already explained (prop vs character vs environment vs scene). So what is the spirit of low poly?

Doing the most with the least.

It's really that simple. If you want to post a 1500 triangle prop with all kinds of sparkle maps, go for it. It's just that the people viewing this thread are expecting a certain style and some might roll their eyes at your hard work. The more you do with the least amount of tools the more impressive and discussion worthy your piece will be...within this specific thread.

Keep it simple, stupid, and embrace the jaggies. Love you guys! <3
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    Some character work I did recently. You can check out a bit more here.

c01eff206ef44868d0d375a21da47106.jpg

10a7d12cd0ac73014f0fceed06659ba3.jpg
  • tragische
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @stevston89 that's great! really like your smooth shading!
  • jinn15
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mcunha silhouette is lookin awesome cant wait to see it all textured
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    stevston89 wrote: »
    @ Torch - Riot hand paints all of their assets. They also use normal maps on certain characters. Does that make their stuff any less low spec? My point is that having a normal map doesn't automatically exclude you from being low spec or being in the spirit of low spec.

You're kind of correct in regards to Riot. Most all heroes in LoL are now sculpted in ZBrush where they are baked down to a low poly model. From what I;ve seen they don't use normal mapping for low poly, but they pull the AO Cav, etc for shading information. The final product is a diffuse map from what I can tell. You can see some of it here in a previous polycount art dump by Valkyrie

You can also hear and see the process from Josh Singh at this Zbrush UGM Recap.

I would still consider their stuff to be low spec as that is exactly what the final product is. It's just interesting to me how they mention it is quicker for them to prototype and rapidly create things in ZBrush and bake it down than it is for them to do low poly from scratch.