Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Uruk Hai... need feedback before final rendering.

Hi! First of all this my first thread... be gentle!
I've been working in zbrush for a while now. I'm still learning...
I got an offer to go to an interview (nothing major) and ended up never going because I didn't have a proper portfolio. I didn't had nothing finished actually, so I would have just wasted their time with nothing to show for. I'm rushing to make a few compositions so in the near future at least I'll have something to show while I'm learning proper texturing, UV's, topology, etc.
So I need any opinions and criticizm on anatomy, likeness and I could use some info on facial veins and wrinkles.
bda2c3c8-52e9-4b82-a4da-62ebc3447ac1_zps6e242381.jpg
It's based on the uruks in LOTR... currently its rendered in Zbrush, I need any feedback I can get before I do the final rendering in Photoshop, will be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance :D .

Replies

• AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AimBiZ polycounter lvl 14
    In it self the piece looks pretty solid actually but it doesn't look like an urukai at all.
    Lugdush.jpg
  • Kitty|Owl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kitty|Owl polycounter lvl 3
    looks more like a pale orc from the hobbit and not like an uruk as aimbiz mentioned. still looks pretty sweet.
  • ArtisticTiger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ArtisticTiger polycounter lvl 5
    Hermit wrote: »
    If I read carefully the description of Huruk-Hai, those are just a greater breed of orcs. They still are just orcs, but they became like.. Olympic Orcs.

The Hukurk-Hai he made just looks smarter than the ones in the films.

+1
    what he said +1, lookig great so far, i can't give any tips really since I'm just a beginner:p. going to be keeping an eye out though, maybe i can learn something(even though never touched ZBrush)
  • ISmokeRodeo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AimBiZ wrote: »
    In it self the piece looks pretty solid actually but it doesn't look like an urukai at all.
    Hmmmm maybe a bit more buffed muscles would fix that? Or do you mean eyes, teeth, facial exp, etc?
    Thanks for the feedback :D
    Kitty|Owl wrote: »
    looks more like a pale orc from the hobbit and not like an uruk as aimbiz mentioned. still looks pretty sweet.

Thanks I'm glad you like it. At first it was supposed to be Azog from The hobbit, but I saw many fanart sculpts of him and lost interest.
  • Mithdia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mithdia polycounter lvl 8
    Your nose is too much like a normal nose compared to the uruks, like you can see in the picture posted the uruk's nose is almost completely flat with his face and the uruk doesn't have that crease coming down from his nose and around the mouth, uruk only has it around his mouth. Also if you look at the pic posted again you'll see that the uruk's cheek bones and jaw bones are not really like those of a human like in your sculpt. The uruk's have large cheek bones which makes their eyes look really narrowly placed close to each other. Currently your face is too human like and doesn't read uruk-hai because of that. You need to really get those exagerated facial musculature and bone structure that the uruk-hai seem to have.
  • ISmokeRodeo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hermit wrote: »
    If I read carefully the description of Huruk-Hai, those are just a greater breed of orcs. They still are just orcs, but they became like.. Olympic Orcs.

The Hukurk-Hai he made just looks smarter than the ones in the films.

+1
    Well I was going for a smarter orc, maybe a leader of some sort. I am glad he doesn't look like the generic grunt.
    what he said +1, lookig great so far, i can't give any tips really since I'm just a beginner:p. going to be keeping an eye out though, maybe i can learn something(even though never touched ZBrush)
    Hehe being a beginner doesn't make you unqualified to give your opinions hehe. I mean it's not like I'm pro... I would't look for tips if I was.
    I saw your gallery on deviantart. Nice models, you should really try some sculpt based 3d app like Mudbox or Zbrush. You can import your models in Zbrush and make them more organic. By sculpting my 2d perception got better too. I mean I still suck at 2d but it helps.

Anyway thanks for the feedback guys
  • S_ource
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    S_ource polycounter lvl 9
    The quality of what you have done is good, but as other have mentioned it doesn't look like its from LOTR, If you haven't done it already i recommend read the wiki page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uruk-hai.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Guys, try to bear in mind here that there are two interpretations of "Uruk" going on here.

Uruk was the name for Orc, in middle earth. Uruk's were created by Morgoth, from elves who he had captured, tortured and perverted, turned away from the light.

Uruk-hai are a name given by Saruman to his own "breed" of Uruk, and in the books they're actually mentioned by that name fairly infrequently. But essentially, the only difference was unwavering loyalty (unlike regular Uruks) and no aversion to sunlight.

With that in mind, my own feedback is that yes, peter jacksons interpretation of Uruks (generality) is one of the best out there, and that this particular model is too clean, and "nice" to be an Uruk. He could definitely do with a few more beatings with an ugly stick or two, and overall more squat proportions.
  • ISmokeRodeo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mithdia wrote: »
    Your nose is too much like a normal nose compared to the uruks, like you can see in the picture posted the uruk's nose is almost completely flat with his face and the uruk doesn't have that crease coming down from his nose and around the mouth, uruk only has it around his mouth. Also if you look at the pic posted again you'll see that the uruk's cheek bones and jaw bones are not really like those of a human like in your sculpt. The uruk's have large cheek bones which makes their eyes look really narrowly placed close to each other. Currently your face is too human like and doesn't read uruk-hai because of that. You need to really get those exagerated facial musculature and bone structure that the uruk-hai seem to have.
    Thanks for the feedback!
    Lurtz.jpg
    Although I used Lurtz as a reference I can notice most of those things in him too. Oh and the crease on the nose is due to the makeup. Since they can't make the makeup move along with the muscles around the nose in some scenes they don't have a crease at all. Still I'll try to flatten the nose out as much as I can without losing much detail. Thanks again your feedback its much appreciated!
  • ISmokeRodeo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    S_ource wrote: »
    The quality of what you have done is good, but as other have mentioned it doesn't look like its from LOTR, If you haven't done it already i recommend read the wiki page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uruk-hai.
    I already did :D! Thanks for the info anyway. I guess I wasn't looking at references as often as I should have.
  • ISmokeRodeo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    He could definitely do with a few more beatings with an ugly stick or two, and overall more squat proportions.
    Thanks I will work on his ugliness...
  • Dimfist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dimfist polycounter lvl 8
    I don't agree with you on the makeup part. I do special fx makeups and if you sculpt something with intention of it moving with the underlying face muscles it will. That sculpt was purposefully made that way. That team is one of the best in the world.
    edit: It may have been easier for the actors to breath with the large nostril flares, and ultimately looked better with a large ridge instead of more human nostrils.
    Your model looks great but I agree with everyone if you are going to use that paticular orc model, you should make him dirty gritty, beat down and follow the anatomy.
  • ISmokeRodeo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmmm... Well from what I saw from behind the scenes, I got the idea that since they had to make the noses flat on the Uruks, the underlying crease couldn't move as much around the nostrils (not on all orcs), maybe I got it wrong. Hehe But hey, you are the special fx makeup guy, so you know more! Maybe I shouldn't have used the term "they can't do it" but rather "they didn't".
    I'm not using any orc model in particular, I wanted to make my own from bits and pieces combined from the ones I liked :D, it's more fun that way.
    Oh and thanks for the feedback :D
  • ISmokeRodeo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    11dea8b2-1b6d-4645-b6af-17e224c9b1fa_zps46d7cdde.jpg
    Let me know if I got the basic shapes down to the required likeness.
  • Deforges
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deforges polycounter lvl 11
    better but I think you should pay more attention to the forehead and temples. These are still the most humanlike.
  • ISmokeRodeo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks :D. I'm just getting the basic shape redefined, I still have a long way to go with his ugliness... although I don't wanna push it too much like Peter Jackson's Uruks I still wanna give it my own little touch to the interpretation.
  • oskarreftel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your sculpt looks nice on it's own but I have to agree with what AimBiz and others said. He is definitely too beautiful to be an orc from LOTR. Aside from getting a bulkier bone structure, his skin needs to tell a story of a hard life full of danger with more/bigger scars, wrinkles and perhaps even deformations from a once broken jaw, eyebrow, cheekbone, stuff like that. If you look at the orcs in the movies, most of them have really thickened skin, almost like that of an ape. :)