Home Dota 2

Dota 2 workshop monthly competition

Replies

• Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    Paskie wrote: »
    Starting with some details. Thanks to Anuxis videos i have learned how to get much faster with sculpting items, i have not been using Zbush features so efficiently. Importing the objects as different subtools helps a lot. Thanx for that! My daughter suggested that it should be a ice leopard, i think that's a good idea. Will try to make it more frosty :)
    Have a nice weekend everyone!

xM1UDR7.png

Hey Paskie

if i may suggest you keep follow one of the anuxis tips and stay more time in the block

get the anatomy charts i sent you and try to work from the bones, to muscles to the skin, if you get the muscles and bones working the animal will look with perfect proportions

dont worry with the detail and try to get a nice proportions

1TgvS

on anuxys stream you can see better this proportion thing when she uses the outline shader and follow her concept just with the sillhouette

This idea will take off and make bank, so many people in the community are crying out for a penguin courier. Not to mention myself was well, because they are the greatest animal on the planet. I swear, if I could have a pet penguin, I would!

yay! ty Helenek
  • BrontoThunder
    Offline / Send Message
    BrontoThunder polycounter lvl 13
    fbd6pYH.png
    A042N3G.png
    I think I might be done with the high-poly :o

Lemme know what you think :D
  • Anuxinamoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    I think the one thing I would do is beef up the wrists a bit more. You have this huge paddle for a foot connected to this beefy arm via a tiny wrist. Perhaps add some scale plating to the top going to the forearm might help? Anyway play around, you can also rise the hand up onto the ball, giving it a more elegant look.

But thats just me being picky. You should do a decimation and a quick rig to check it out in game man! All my suggestions my fall down cause it looks baws in the client xD
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    I think I might be done with the high-poly :o

Lemme know what you think :D

looking really nice Bronto, the front leg bothers me a little but i cant say why, looks like the pawn shape and size doesnt fit very well, but i cant suggest how to "fix" it

the overall model is really nice, the horns are adding a lot ti it, really liked it a lot =]

update on my owl/penguin courier
    1Tl2M

big thanks to Helenek for some ideas and keeping me motivated

the idea behind the courier is that it was rejected at his birth by his monstrous appearance. He was starving to death when found by mirana. He managed to survive and became her pet. This brave guy after couple years, even with his tiny wings and against all the expectations, learned how to fly.
    Mirana trained him on the art of stealth and gave him a little quiver. His loyal pet is with here wherever she goes, that is her secret behind the infinite arrows =]
  • Clark Coots
    Offline / Send Message
    Clark Coots polycounter lvl 12
    I love you guys for doing this! Dota2 is my favorite game at the moment and Polycount is my favorite community! I'm very proud to be apart of such dedicated artists and I smile every time I see some Polycount work in game :)

I love the owl/penguin couriour tvidotto. however the belt buckle isn't working like a normal belt would. its a great idea and fits the theme nicely! keep up the awesome work everybody!
  • BrontoThunder
    Offline / Send Message
    Good call on the wrist, I'll have a go of beefing it up and/or adding some plates to it tomorrow. Just looking at the same thing for days on end it's so easy to overlook something that doesn't look quite right.

That arm was definitely an awkward spot to get looking at least slightly normal while still making it work with the rig since dragon anatomy seems to draw from lots of different creatures and uses very human-like arms for the most part.

But yeah, I'll have a look at it tomorrow!
    Thanks for the keen eyes, guys :)

That courier is looking adorable and I love his story!
    If I could add anything it would be that his silhouette could be pushed a bit more to make him more penguin-y by making his belly a bit wider like this little chub;
    cutepenguincl1.jpg

Also, I prefer the blue version :D
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    coots7 wrote: »
    I love you guys for doing this! Dota2 is my favorite game at the moment and Polycount is my favorite community! I'm very proud to be apart of such dedicated artists and I smile every time I see some Polycount work in game :)

I love the owl/penguin couriour tvidotto. however the belt buckle isn't working like a normal belt would. its a great idea and fits the theme nicely! keep up the awesome work everybody!

Hey man, nice to have you here and thanks for the suggestion, i will be working more on the concept tomorrow
    Good call on the wrist, I'll have a go of beefing it up and/or adding some plates to it tomorrow. Just looking at the same thing for days on end it's so easy to overlook something that doesn't look quite right.

That arm was definitely an awkward spot to get looking at least slightly normal while still making it work with the rig since dragon anatomy seems to draw from lots of different creatures and uses very human-like arms for the most part.

But yeah, I'll have a look at it tomorrow!
    Thanks for the keen eyes, guys :)

That courier is looking adorable and I love his story!
    If I could add anything it would be that his silhouette could be pushed a bit more to make him more penguin-y by making his belly a bit wider like this little chub;
    cutepenguincl1.jpg

Also, I prefer the blue version :D

great bronto! thanks for the suggestion on the penguin, maybe that was what i needed to make it more "penguinysh"

btw, if you need some anatomy reference i have a lot of animal anatomy charts, send me a pm if you want and i give you the link to my dropbox
  • Paskie
    Thx all for the suggestions! Really helps a lot. I have done some more adjusting and came up with two versions.
    Which one do you guys think looks better? Are the proportions looking ok on these?

1PYYeRv.png
  • Anuxinamoon
    Offline / Send Message
    2 waaaaay better
  • RoqueDemon
    Offline / Send Message
    RoqueDemon polycounter lvl 6
    2 looks much more natural.

I might end up doing just a head piece.
    I was trying to design a whole set but I don't have any ideas and the head piece was the only thing I liked.
  • brojomaan
    @Tvidotto
    Thanks for the advice, your definitely right with proportions and animations.
    That penguin courier would be a definite purchase for me, seeing as penguins can't fly, couldn't you incorporate that into the design? (This may sound tacky to you) but i think it would be pretty funny / adorable if the flying courier got a red cape a flew like superman.

@BrontoThunder
    Went in and had a look and was astounded how different they all looked is incredible.

I decided that id like to make the saber tooth cat. I have created one concept drawing so far but will nail down the look more but that's for another day.

gSYrLm2.png

@paskie
    Two looks much much better
  • AndrewHelenek
    Offline / Send Message
    AndrewHelenek polycounter lvl 6
    Im guessing creating new animations for her mount are out of the question. :)
  • brojomaan
    Okay, Sorry to keep spamming the thread but i kinda said id be in bed 4 hours ago and still drawing, i've created another sabre tooth cat, this time much more feline in design.
    I also looked at Ice age to see how they designed their Sabre Tooths, heres the newest concept for it.
    Now time for bed!

TtoOTNl.jpg
  • eastblue
    I don't see how the pet is related to Mirana at all :/
  • Fanatik
    Quick lunch update, what do you guys think ? Should I go butterfly/moth (concept on page 3) or wolf (this little guy below) ?
    I'm not so sure about the armor ... could go without it I guess.

Mirana_concept_03.jpg

@Tvidotto that was my first post with an image attached, so I'm guessing a moderator had to check if it was not spam :P
  • Anuxinamoon
    Offline / Send Message
    DOGGIEW! Love da doggie! Not sure how it will ranslate to the anims though. Maybe do a blockout and see?

Alrighty textures done, rigging done (except for some minor problems on the mount) ALMOST DONE!
    importer.jpg
  • ike_ike
    Offline / Send Message
    ike_ike polycounter lvl 12
    i think her shoulders might be a bit too bare but everything else looks really good.

it's probably not even visible from game view but from straight on all that exposed flesh is a bit odd to me.
  • Fanatik
    love the shoulder wings ^__^
  • Gareth_Thomas
    @Fanatik. The wolf looks really cool but just be careful because a lot of Mirana's in game voice over work is anti K9 in sentiment.
    http://www.dota2wiki.com/wiki/Mirana_responses
  • BrontoThunder
    Offline / Send Message
    Adjusted my dragon based off the feedback I received yesterday and made a few other little changes that probably aren't that noticeable but just make it a bit more polished.
    FzQnuMS.png
    ITt7ezg.png
  • AndrewHelenek
    Offline / Send Message
    DOGGIEW! Love da doggie! Not sure how it will ranslate to the anims though. Maybe do a blockout and see?

Alrighty textures done, rigging done (except for some minor problems on the mount) ALMOST DONE!
    importer.jpg

While the hair reads well in game, I really don't like it in the portrait. Compared to the default hair it looks like she dyed it a different color.

dota-2-mirana.jpg

Unless that was something you wanted to go for, although I think a bit darker hair might be better.

Looks good though.

Can we get pre-pick next month and make it Chen, he's my favorite character and he needs some love. :P
  • AndrewHelenek
    Offline / Send Message
    320x320.resizedimage

vlad finished modelling the ward already! good grief he's fast.

the moon spins around during the idle animations!

I saw the animations for this ward, some constructive criticism, I think its a good start but there are some details I've noticed. For example, on the idle animation the flags sway in opposite directions which makes it look very off and they are so subtle that they look very static from the in game view. Even in the spawn animation, the flags are very static and don't move much at all even though there is a lot of force behind the landing. The eyeball on the death animation also has some issues, the eye ball bouncing seems very forced and unnatural.

Like I said, its a good start, but there is a lot of room for improvement. Plus the model looks awesome, it just needs the animations to match that quality. :)
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Fanatik wrote: »
    Quick lunch update, what do you guys think ? Should I go butterfly/moth (concept on page 3) or wolf (this little guy below) ?
    I'm not so sure about the armor ... could go without it I guess.

Mirana_concept_03.jpg

@Tvidotto that was my first post with an image attached, so I'm guessing a moderator had to check if it was not spam :P

now makes sense that post

the wolf!!! loved it =]

importer.jpg

anuxi, that is amazing, loved the quiver and the hair
    Adjusted my dragon based off the feedback I received yesterday and made a few other little changes that probably aren't that noticeable but just make it a bit more polished.
    FzQnuMS.png
    ITt7ezg.png

much better now

----
    update on the courier

got some feedback from my girlfriend

1TVwT

reworking it later today
  • RoqueDemon
    Offline / Send Message
    Puok3iN.jpg
    This is what I managed to come up with. I might only do the head part though.
    Thoughts?
    Tvidotto wrote: »
    update on the courier

got some feedback from my girlfriend

1TVwT

reworking it later today
    I don't think many here will understand what those notes say xD
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    RoqueDemon wrote: »
    Puok3iN.jpg
    Thoughts?

I don't think many here will understand what those notes say xD

its almost unreadable even for me =]

nice concept, keep updating us
  • brojomaan
    RoqueDemon wrote: »
    Puok3iN.jpg
    Thoughts?

I like the overall look of it, her chest area does look a tiny plain, maybe ass a peice of jewelry in their?
    Id suggest looking at a big Topaz jewel, seeing as your secondary colour is orange.
    apart from that i do like the style good work!
  • Wolph
    Hi count me in! I finished this wolf concept and then I saw Fanatiks new concept, so i may do some different designs for the mount, I might explore more designs for the wolf tho .. Planning a full set but focusing on the mount right now! Awesome concepts everyone, I cant wait to get into zbrush, your guys mounts look incredible!
    rWzhW6G.jpg
  • RoqueDemon
    Offline / Send Message
    brojomaan wrote: »
    I like the overall look of it, her chest area does look a tiny plain, maybe ass a peice of jewelry in their?
    Id suggest looking at a big Topaz jewel, seeing as your secondary colour is orange.
    apart from that i do like the style good work!

That's the thing that most demotivates me. I can come up with a few shapes but the designs are, as you said, plain and I just can't make them interesting. That's the reason I don't have a concept for a full set right now.
    Gotta work on it some more. Thanks for the idea with the topaz, I'll look into it.
  • Wolph
    Wanted to show the process I used, blocked out the form using eraser and brush tool, created a clipping mask layer to paint in tones, third layer for line work, strong outline with less line weight to define detail, and a quick Ok color pass :)
    4AB7vah.jpg
  • crazyone
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyone polycounter lvl 5
  • brojomaan
    crazyone wrote: »
    1U62D
    xD

Looks like a good model, whats the story behind the item? because at the moment it looks like a pantheon helmet but a bit sideways.

but the actual modelling is really good bro keep that up.
  • crazyone
    Offline / Send Message
    brojomaan wrote: »
    Looks like a good model, whats the story behind the item? because at the moment it looks like a pantheon helmet but a bit sideways.

but the actual modelling is really good bro keep that up.
    I have no idea :D I just thought that someone riding a lion should stand out somehow :D I'l try to think of something when I finish everything
  • Fanatik
    @Wolph hey, nice design :) I'll try to come up with something else as well to have more options.

@crazyone cool helmet :D
  • Anuxinamoon
  • BrontoThunder
    Offline / Send Message
    Congrats on finishing!
  • Fanatik
    Congrats, looks awesome.:poly142: nice final update on the hair :thumbup:
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    awesome work Anuxi! was following your stream and stole all your techniques! =]

@Crazyone - great helmet and i like your point of the motivation behind the helmet =]

@wolph, keep going man, i want to see it finished =]

----

new version of the courier

1Ugz8

and a quick zbrush block, in 2d it is a lot better... still need some work to get a appealing block on 3d

1Ugwv

1UjxD
  • Lennyagony
    Offline / Send Message
    Lennyagony polycounter lvl 14

Incredible work Anuxi, really like that you improved her clothing situation!. bow and mount are outstanding as well :)
  • Fanatik
    here is another.
    I could make her an Egyptian queen full set ...
    Mirana_concept_04.jpg
  • Anuxinamoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh I love that lynx idea! =O
  • Paskie
    Woohoo! First set finished in the competition! Great job as always Anuxi.
    I just wanna hug that fluffy owlbeast :)
  • brojomaan
    Fanatik wrote: »
    here is another.
    I could make her an Egyptian queen full set ...
    Mirana_concept_04.jpg

Thats a incredible idea! but i'm not sure which one i like more.

@anuxi cracking work man that would definately be a first day purchase for me in dota!
  • AndrewHelenek
    Offline / Send Message
    In a completely unrelated comment to this competition. I hope Chen wins next month. More mounts, more armor, and more reasons to say. "YOU WILL PAY FOR YOUR SINS!"
  • BrontoThunder
    Offline / Send Message
    T_Vidotto He is so adorable - can't wait to see you make him waddle :D
    Fanatik I think I like the wolf concept better although the cat might suit her more, not sure!
    crazyone Looks sick, can't wait to see more from you.

Here's my current progress - 2500 triangles exactly, love when that happens. Boy was it a bitch getting it down past 1500 for the LoD1, though. Threw down some basic colours just to get a feel of it.
    ukHLeLS.png

Also, gave it a quick rig just to see what it looks like in-game :D
    EA26U9n.png
  • RoqueDemon
    Offline / Send Message
    In a completely unrelated comment to this competition. I hope Chen wins next month. More mounts, more armor, and more reasons to say. "YOU WILL PAY FOR YOUR SINS!"

Is clockwerk broken down? He recently became one of my favorites but has no items.
  • brojomaan
    T_Vidotto He is so adorable - can't wait to see you make him waddle :D
    Fanatik I think I like the wolf concept better although the cat might suit her more, not sure!
    crazyone Looks sick, can't wait to see more from you.

Here's my current progress - 2500 triangles exactly, love when that happens. Boy was it a bitch getting it down past 1500 for the LoD1, though. Threw down some basic colours just to get a feel of it.
    ukHLeLS.png

Also, gave it a quick rig just to see what it looks like in-game :D
    EA26U9n.png

That looks amazing good job!
    I'm dreading keeping under 1500 triangles, gonna be so hard!

Here is my last concept for the sabre tooth cat i'm creating (i stole your layout. sorry wolph)
    V1941YI.jpg
  • Nannou
    Offline / Send Message
    Nannou polycounter lvl 5
    Looking good Bronto. Any chache to see it in motion?
  • crazyone
    Offline / Send Message
    @ Anuxinamoon nice )) thumbs up )
    @ BrontoThunder looks great )
    1UtvR
    I think I've finished the hipoly lion (lion helmet doesn't look that good but I'l put more time into texturing :D ) now for the retopology, need to finish it quickly until I get tired of it :D
  • Uliss
    Congrats with finish, Anuxi. Your owl cat is real nice.
  • Anuxinamoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys! Damm crazy and bronto! Those are lookin real nice!!!

Also I setup the posed render inside a realtime viewer. Its cool cause you can add the other pixel shader 2.0+ maps to it! woo
    Mirana Nightsilver Sentinel (click to view in 3D)
    assets.verold.comnull