Home Unreal Engine

Unreal Engine 4

Replies

• Acid_Wire
    I've been watching the videos from the Unreal youtube channel, but in case I missed something, what exactly does UE4's Metallic attribute affect?

I can't seem to put my finger on the difference between their examples of a really smooth metal and nonmetal example shere, and it's really bugging me
  • ExcessiveZero
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    downarmy wrote: »
    Any idea where one would start to look about how to create roughness map?

edit: also this thing(ue4) is pure gold!

gold_zpsb07e4548.jpg[/URL]
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOFAnpb8I3E"]Austin Powers Goldmember - I Love Gold - YouTube[/ame]
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Acid_Wire wrote: »
    I've been watching the videos from the Unreal youtube channel, but in case I missed something, what exactly does UE4's Metallic attribute affect?

I can't seem to put my finger on the difference between their examples of a really smooth metal and nonmetal example shere, and it's really bugging me

It defines whether or not a surface is metallic, it's that simple.

the more complex answer lies in the following abbreviated shader code:
    o.Albedo = <diffusemap> * (1 - metallic);
    o.Reflectance = <diffusemap> * metallic + 0.04 * (1 - metallic);

so what it does, is takes whatever is in your metallic map, and multiplies it by your diffuse to give a coloured reflectance value, and then gives a value of 0.04 to anything that's not metallic. it also multiplies anything in your diffuse map that's defined as a metal down to black, so it has zero diffuse and is 100% reflectant.
  • Acid_Wire
    It defines whether or not a surface is metallic, it's that simple.

so what it does, is takes whatever is in your metallic map, and multiplies it by your diffuse to give a coloured reflectance value, and then gives a value of 0.04 to anything that's not metallic. it also multiplies anything in your diffuse map that's defined as a metal down to black, so it has zero diffuse and is 100% reflectant.

Ah, thanks :)

Everything texture and shader-based seems way easier to understand when it's put in terms of a formula
  • Envart
    Offline / Send Message
    Envart polycounter lvl 6
    I'm loving the new editor, everything seems much smoother and the UI is so much better than UDK. The new materials are utterly amazing too. Phenomenal work, thanks Epic! :D

Will there be an update next month? I'll keep my subscription rolling if something cool is coming out.

Either way, this is fantastic.
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Acid_Wire wrote: »
    Ah, thanks :)

Everything texture and shader-based seems way easier to understand when it's put in terms of a formula

no worries, that's an extreme simplification of what's happening. but at least it's easy to understand :P
  • JordanW
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    Quack! wrote: »
    Need some help.

I followed the UE4 Xnormal documentation workflow to a T, multiple times and the documentation seems wrong, or I am, which is possible.

High / Low / Cage / and Triangulate in 3Dsmax 2014, 1 smoothing group.
    Export triangulated .fbx 2013 to xnormal with same settings as documentation HERE, bake using exported normals and cage.
    Import same triangulated .fbx into UE4

UE4_NormalMap_Error.jpg

The problem:

Exporting from max WITHOUT tangents and binormals never yields a good normal map bake from xnormal into UE4.

There is no 'explicit normals' check box anymore. I can only assume that the "Normal Import Method" replaced this checkbox. Which must be set to Import both Normals and Tangents to yield the best bake.

So is the documentation wrong or am I? I can get the mesh to look very good, but not perfect, is this the best way?

That definitely looks like a bug, could you post on https://answers.unrealengine.com/ and supply your fbx/max models so we can repro and track the bug?
  • necner
    Offline / Send Message
    necner polycounter lvl 7
    UE4 have new scale unit.

1uu = 1cm !
  • WarrenM
    Yep, and we've moved to a decimal grid rather than powers of two. Ideally, everyone should be working in real world coordinates.
  • RogelioD
    Offline / Send Message
    RogelioD polycounter lvl 12
    When I try to open the High Res Screenshot using the tool in UE4 I get this error message both at home and at work

EpD4Aag.png

Any idea what I could be doing wrong?
  • MM
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17

are you sure this is the case in UE4 ?

it seems in UE4 you can edit specular as well as metallic independently.

may be it is not 100% physically accurate but looks like it gives more control over reflectance. for example in toolbag2 this is not possible as far as i can tell and there have been many occasions where i wanted to break the rules of PBR just so I could make something look the way i want. call it artistic license.

either way, i just like the fact that specular is separate from metallic in UE4. may be the way they have it is still physically accurate but i don't care one way or another as long as it gives more control over art direction.
  • LMP
    Offline / Send Message
    LMP polycounter lvl 13
    RogelioD wrote: »
    When I try to open the High Res Screenshot using the tool in UE4 I get this error message both at home and at work

EpD4Aag.png

I got that too... it's like UE4 isn't actually saving the image data.
  • LMP
    Offline / Send Message
    LMP polycounter lvl 13
    MM wrote: »
    either way, i just like the fact that specular is separate from metallic in UE4. may be the way they have it is still physically accurate but i don't care one way or another as long as it gives more control over art direction.

to my understanding, specular is primiarily for use as an artist hack to get that look that you want.
  • JordanW
    Offline / Send Message
    UE4 works like this:

BaseColor: The color of your surface
    Metalness: 0 = base color is used for diffuse shading, 1 = base color is used for reflective color

when metalness is 0, your object will have about 2-3% specular reflectance (with fresnel)

Specularity is also energy conserving meaning lower roughness values will result in a small bright highlight while high roughness values will be a large dull highlight.

I don't recommend editing the specular input, it really only changes the specular response from like 0% to like 5% or something on non-metals. You could place something like a cavity map in there to approximate something like microshadowing if you needed it.
  • MM
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    JordanW wrote: »
    I don't recommend editing the specular input, it really only changes the specular response from like 0% to like 5% or something on non-metals. You could place something like a cavity map in there to approximate something like microshadowing if you needed it.

what is the main reason behind not editing specular input ?

why expose it if it is not recommended to use it ?
  • Jacky
    Offline / Send Message
    Jacky polycounter lvl 6
    LMP wrote: »
    I got that too... it's like UE4 isn't actually saving the image data.

It is a known bug. You need to use highresshot command for now.
  • JordanW
    Offline / Send Message
    2 reasons:

1. its legacy, we've discussed removing it and it's probably going to get removed at some point.
    2. There's an ini option (will probably become a project setting if not already ) to use non-physically based shading (fortnite uses this). Although I don't recommend changing back and forth between the two since there is some fixup code that actually changes materials to make them "work" after the setting has changed. I also highly recommend sticking with phyiscally based shading if you're going to rely heavilly on GI/reflections/physically plausible lighting because its very important that all aspects of the pipeline are physically plausible.
    what is the main reason behind not editing specular input ?

why expose it if it is not recommended to use it ?

2 reasons:

1. its legacy, we've discussed removing it and it's probably going to get removed at some point.
    2. There's an ini option (will probably become a project setting if not already ) to use non-physically based shading (fortnite uses this). Although I don't recommend changing back and forth between the two since there is some fixup code that actually changes materials to make them "work" after the setting has changed. I also highly recommend sticking with phyiscally based shading if you're going to rely heavilly on GI/reflections/physically plausible lighting because its very important that all aspects of the pipeline are physically plausible.
  • Quack!
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    That definitely looks like a bug, could you post on https://answers.unrealengine.com/ and supply your fbx/max models so we can repro and track the bug?

Will do!
  • Yury
    Offline / Send Message
    Yury polycounter lvl 8
    Ok I have a Spec map question. Let's say I wanna use Quixel Megascans textures and from what I saw they have Diffuse, Gloss, Spec and Normal. So in Unreal I plug diffuse into Base Color, I invert gloss and plug it into Rougness, normal goes to Normal and then what should I do whit the specular? Should I just ignore it and plug 0 or 1 value into Metallic? Or I can still plug the spec map into Specular slot?
  • Ark
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Is BaseColor just Diffuse Roughness, or just simply colour?

Any UK folk know what the sub works out to in GBP? Are we exchanging in euros or dollars?
  • JordanW
    Offline / Send Message
    Yury wrote: »
    Ok I have a Spec map question. Let's say I wanna use Quixel Megascans textures and from what I saw they have Diffuse, Gloss, Spec and Normal. So in Unreal I plug diffuse into Base Color, I invert gloss and plug it into Rougness, normal goes to Normal and then what should I do whit the specular? Should I just ignore it and plug 0 or 1 value into Metallic? Or I can still plug the spec map into Specular slot?

So I don't have access to Megascans and havent seen what their maps look like so i'm guessing but:

It sounds like your assumption is correct, you can probably ignore the specular map. The majority of non-metallic surfaces reflect the same amount of light with in a few %. Metalness should be 0 or 1 (some rare complex materials may require you to use gradiations). I think this should work for non-metal surfaces, I have no idea how they present their metallic surface data so I cannot guess.
    Ark wrote: »
    Is BaseColor just Diffuse Roughness, or just simply colour?

Any UK folk know what the sub works out to in GBP? Are we exchanging in euros or dollars?

BaseColor is just the color of the surface, whether it's non-metalltic or metallic.
  • Ark
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    BaseColor is just the color of the surface, whether it's non-metalltic or metallic.

Thanks for that, so it's just basically Albedo. Terminology between documents and engines! :P
  • ambershee
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    Physically based shading needs a specular input in order to handle materials that can reflect back different coloured specular due to goniochromism, which is common in nature. Something like carpaint would also want this.

800px-Pearlescent_Toyota_Supra_-_002.jpg

At the moment UE3 supports this, but UE4 does not, which is a complete pain in the arse. It shouldn't be deprecated, it should be fixed.
  • iniside
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside polycounter lvl 6
    Yury wrote: »

Nothing. You can safely ignore it, or just plug scalar value to it.

I would discourage though from inserting maps directly into material. I would use all special maps (Roughness, and specular) as masks, to lerp between two scalar paremeters. It will give you more flexibility in fine tuning look of material, without tweaking texture.
  • cman2k
    Offline / Send Message
    cman2k polycounter lvl 17
    I'm just guessing here - but Base color is fed into specular output when a material is metallic, right.

So why couldn't you just setup a material where the base color changes based on viewing angle, and make it really metallic?
  • iniside
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside polycounter lvl 6
    cman2k wrote: »
    I'm just guessing here - but Base color is fed into specular output when a material is metallic, right.

So why couldn't you just setup a material where the base color changes based on viewing angle, and make it really metallic?

No Metallic takes only scalar values. All colors are going to BaseColor, when you switch metallic to 1, it just pick up color from BaseColor.

Hah nvm. I read your question wrong :D. It certainly can be done. I though you want to plug color into metallic slot :D
  • aristides
    Offline / Send Message
    aristides polycounter lvl 6
    Where can I find the default mannequin pawn with basic animations if there are any?
    And how would I go about importing it into my level?
  • JordanW
    Offline / Send Message

Yes, setting metalness to 1.0 and set base color to some view dependant function would work.
  • maxivz
    Offline / Send Message
    maxivz interpolator
    So its not the typicall pbr workflow? its supposed to take single values in the metallic anr roughtness instead of maps?
  • Yury
    Offline / Send Message
    Yury polycounter lvl 8
    iniside wrote: »
    Nothing. You can safely ignore it, or just plug scalar value to it.

I would discourage though from inserting maps directly into material. I would use all special maps (Roughness, and specular) as masks, to lerp between two scalar paremeters. It will give you more flexibility in fine tuning look of material, without tweaking texture.

Ok got it. Thanks! I'm going to play around with it. Still struggling to fully understand PBR texturing :poly142:
  • Jacky
    Offline / Send Message
    Jacky polycounter lvl 6
    maxivz wrote: »
    So its not the typicall pbr workflow? its supposed to take single values in the metallic anr roughtness instead of maps?

You can use the maps to Lerp between roughness values.
  • Gestalt
    Offline / Send Message
    Gestalt polycounter lvl 11
    If you want to start asking for a pbr based solution to something like iridescence you might as well ask for an implementation of spectral rendering.

Personally I'd be thrilled for more attention being given to the spectral side of things. You honestly can't get very close to reality if you're doing bounced lighting and deciding everything based on r g and b, but it's not likely (shouldn't be ignored though).

Realtime spectral rendering might not be feasible but I'd even take just having spectral values considered for the lightmass bakes. Speaking of which is there currently a way to bake lightmaps externally?
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    still no access =[
  • ambershee
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17

For something like metallic carpaint, maybe. What if the material isn't metallic?
  • Froyok
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    still no access =[

I got mine. It's in the process. Normally everybody should get it's access Sunday.
    RogelioD wrote: »

EpD4Aag.png

It's a bug. See : https://answers.unrealengine.com/questions/12736/high-resolution-screenshot.html
  • Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    it's probably a good deal but for casual users like myself,I am probably not going to bother.
    a free version might have been better, just so you can get a taste of it
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Froyok wrote: »
    I got mine. It's in the process. Normally everybody should get it's access Sunday.

what number were you when they first responded? for example i got this in an email from them:
    Your request (273) has been received and is being reviewed by our support staff.
  • Son Kim
    Offline / Send Message
    Son Kim triangle
    Need some help.

I followed the UE4 Xnormal documentation workflow to a T, multiple times and the documentation seems wrong, or I am, which is possible.

High / Low / Cage / and Triangulate in 3Dsmax 2014, 1 smoothing group.
    Export triangulated .fbx 2013 to xnormal with same settings as documentation HERE, bake using exported normals and cage.
    Import same triangulated .fbx into UE4

UE4_NormalMap_Error.jpg

The problem:

Exporting from max WITHOUT tangents and binormals never yields a good normal map bake from xnormal into UE4.

There is no 'explicit normals' check box anymore. I can only assume that the "Normal Import Method" replaced this checkbox. Which must be set to Import both Normals and Tangents to yield the best bake.

So is the documentation wrong or am I? I can get the mesh to look very good, but not perfect, is this the best way?

I'm getting the same problem as you. following the same doc, I get nasty shading error. As far as import setting everything is set to default setting Import Normals. I'm using Modo - baking with Xnormal with a cage. Low res is triangulated with 1 smoothing group.
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    woop, access granted!
  • Quack!
    Offline / Send Message
    Son Kim wrote: »
    I'm getting the same problem as you. following the same doc, I get nasty shading error. As far as import setting everything is set to default setting Import Normals. I'm using Modo - baking with Xnormal with a cage. Low res is triangulated with 1 smoothing group.

Well thats good news that I am not the only one.

I made a Bug Report here: https://answers.unrealengine.com/questions/14375/normal-map-workflow-with-xnormal-is-not-working.html

Feel free to post in the comments if you have any more information to add.
  • MM
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    looks like baking is Maya gives little better results, looks almost synced to Maya.
    triangulated lowpoly with 1 smoothing group, fbx exported/imported with normals+tangent
    there are still errors on this normal map but those errors are also visible inside maya viewport.
    just adding more cuts would give 100% clean result i believe.

here is a test:
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/13288045/UE4_Maya_N.zip

x6rW475.jpg
  • Shadownami92
    Offline / Send Message
    Shadownami92 polycounter lvl 7
    A small question, I was looking all over the documentation and couldn't find anything on Render to Texture or setting up video cutscenes. Was that something that was part of Scaleform or is it still in UE4 but just not mentioned anywhere?

EDIT: Never mind, found Render to Texture and the Movie Texture parameters.

EDITEDIT: Nevermind https://answers.unrealengine.com/questions/9132/does-ue4-support-bik-files.html it seems there is nothing in place for 2d video playback currently. :(
  • Quack!
    Offline / Send Message
    looks like baking is Maya gives little better results, looks almost synced to Maya.
    triangulated lowpoly with 1 smoothing group, fbx exported/imported with normals+tangent
    there are still errors on this normal map but those errors are also visible inside maya viewport.
    just adding more cuts would give 100% clean result i believe.

here is a test:
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/13288045/UE4_Maya_N.zip

x6rW475.jpg

Yea, I can get the xnormal workflow to have a similar result to yours, but it is pretty much doing the exact opposite of the documented info. Which leads me to believe that either the wires got crossed behind the scenes, or that we are not seeing the intended normal map results.
  • Makkon
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    Or it's a typo. That stuff happens.

I'm going to give it a few months before I start my subscription, just give them time to work out some kinks after getting feedback.
  • Froyok
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    The great news is, it's gonna be possible to get synced results with engine now that we have access to the source code. Building plugins for xNormal is now properly doable. :)
  • Son Kim
    Offline / Send Message
    Son Kim triangle
    Well thats good news that I am not the only one.

I made a Bug Report here: https://answers.unrealengine.com/questions/14375/normal-map-workflow-with-xnormal-is-not-working.html

Feel free to post in the comments if you have any more information to add.

I tried baking your mesh, got the same shading error along the edges of the tris. Maybe UE4 is not sync with xNormal 3.18.4 and 3.18.6? The developer of xNormal may need to talk to Epic Games to resolve this issue :S
  • NomadSoul2501
    Offline / Send Message
    NomadSoul2501 polycounter lvl 10
    Has anyone figured out how to organize the Scene Outliner?
    Is there a node/object similar to game_object in unity that you can use to parent objects under and tidy up the outliner?

So far I found the note actor and tried using that as a parent container.
    The meshes parented under it still display when you run the game so there's that but I can't use it to quickly hide/unhide a bunch of stuff in the level.

Any thoughts?
    can you think of a reason why not to use the note actor as a parent object?
    Also, how do you assign assets to layers?

These are all questions for a portfolio project.
    I could imagine using the note actor in a full scale game project to be a bad idea.
  • Bertil
    ambershee wrote: »
    At the moment UE3 supports this, but UE4 does not, which is a complete pain in the arse. It shouldn't be deprecated, it should be fixed.

qVrLEWP.png

Seems to work just fine to me?
  • Torch
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    I'm interested to know if a lot of the character guys on here are getting this or CryE for showing off their work, of if they're just sticking with something like Marmoset.

Will probably end up DLing it anyway, the updates look ace :)
  • xvampire
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    I think the material editor is much easier to get close to marmoset PBR quality without headache, ( even though I find marmoset still better at displaying uncompressed texture, and bokeh DOF)

also they removed the 65k polygon limit, so its good for showcase or concepting

5ZIdh16.png
    8xefe9v.png