pixelherder polycounter lvl 18
    flying staff FINALLY up and running...

staff_hipoly_zpsfc7700fe.jpg
  • HatPoweredSpyCrab
    Offline / Send Message
    HatPoweredSpyCrab polycounter lvl 10

Bro this is looking totally amazing. I can't wait to see the Dawg flying.
  • RoqueDemon
    Offline / Send Message
    RoqueDemon polycounter lvl 6
    Shouldn't it be "up and flying"? (I'm so sorry)

Looks good though.
  • pixelherder
    Offline / Send Message
    Bro this is looking totally amazing. I can't wait to see the Dawg flying.

RoqueDemon wrote: »
    Shouldn't it be "up and flying"? (I'm so sorry)

Looks good though.

Damn - how did i miss that! I'm going to blame polygon fatigue...
  • marul
    Offline / Send Message
    marul polycounter lvl 7

Aw I thought this would be a flying palm tree :(
  • Spudnik
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik polycounter lvl 11
    Had a superb last game of the night <3
    eToMKDO.jpg

Also, shameless crosspost again :poly122:

1DSx5dU.jpg
    7fJIvht.jpg
  • BrontoThunder
    Offline / Send Message
    BrontoThunder polycounter lvl 13
    Ehh I don't think Sven should have blood on his sword.
  • BenHenry
    Offline / Send Message
    BenHenry polycounter lvl 11
    I agree, Sven's a "clean" character.
  • Hawt Koffee
    Offline / Send Message
    Hawt Koffee polycounter lvl 13
    tumblr_mkwvx7FtS11r43xj0o1_1280.jpg
    http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=137642404
    So this was done ages ago but I jsut finished submitting it.
    not entirely pleased with it but better it doesn't go to waste.
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    Spudnik wrote: »
    eToMKDO.jpg

Yay! im glad you got snowl!
  • AndrewHelenek
    Offline / Send Message
    AndrewHelenek polycounter lvl 6
    Ehh I don't think Sven should have blood on his sword.

I agree, the sword looks great, but the blood seems a bit much. without the blood you'll have a great looking weapon.
  • Konras
    Offline / Send Message
    Konras polycounter lvl 12
    @Tvidotto Could you sticky this technical threads or create new one?
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=118434
    So people could post technical/modeling/shaders/export/import/compilation/etc stuff there instead of here?:) I think everyone would agree with me that separation from showcase thread and technical thread would be a benefit to us all.
  • Paskie
    Hey guys and gals, i've got this idea for a courier which i think would be cool to collaborate on. Not really sure how i will accomplish this since couriers are a bit out of my league :D But do you think it could work? I was thinking something with a asian cultural theme. Did some sketching. I think with some colors i could be great. Suggestions?

EQkFDIW.jpg
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Paskie wrote: »
    Hey guys and gals, i've got this idea for a courier which i think would be cool to collaborate on. Not really sure how i will accomplish this since couriers are a bit out of my league :D But do you think it could work? I was thinking something with a asian cultural theme. Did some sketching. I think with some colors i could be great. Suggestions?

EQkFDIW.jpg

Hey Paskie

if you keep the same character on both versions will save you more texture space, maybe if you choose one of the 2?
  • pixelherder
    Offline / Send Message
    marul wrote: »
    Aw I thought this would be a flying palm tree :(

that could still be an option depending on how this turns out!
  • penOr
    Offline / Send Message
    penOr polycounter lvl 7
    Finished up a Phantom Assassin weapon. Not too fond of the shape anymore, seems too bulky for PA, but I still wanted to complete it!

60586198C5A8E598351B49D204B97E34C2EBD58A

Really need to work on my texture process as well... gotta watch some anuxi twitch VOD's =)
  • Paskie
    Tvidotto wrote: »
    Hey Paskie

if you keep the same character on both versions will save you more texture space, maybe if you choose one of the 2?

Yeah, that is probably the best idea. I guess the dragon would be the easier one, but i kinda like the little stonelion :)
  • Andyk125
    Offline / Send Message
    Andyk125 polycounter lvl 4
    Spudnik wrote: »
    eToMKDO.jpg

Also, shameless crosspost again :poly122:

1DSx5dU.jpg
    7fJIvht.jpg

Great looking weapon!

But like mentioned before, I also think you should remove the blood, its making the weapon a bit to busy as well and it doesn't fit Sven to well.
  • Konras
    Offline / Send Message
    @UP Yes, people are right, all in all Sven is Radiant character. Blood suits more Dire heroes.
  • shellnut
    Hi guys! I have submitted this a month ago. Please upvote for my first work if you care. lol ^_^ Thank you!
    My next set is still pending in the works (quite busy for my second Bachelors degree in college).
    http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/f.../?id=131098172

8535657938_434f52a0d8_b.jpg
  • hopgood
    Offline / Send Message
    hopgood polycounter lvl 12
    Paskie wrote: »

EQkFDIW.jpg

While the stone lion is a great idea you would have to be careful about its implementation and look as I think the Juggernaut healing ward replacement could end up looking quite similar. That might impact your chances.

http://www.dota2.com/store/itemdetails/4103
  • Pundt
    @Pen
    Digging the weap. Only crit I have is the slashes on the blade seem a bit overdone and they are too evenly spaced. I think its a good idea to check out anuxi for workflow and things like that, but for overall texture practice that just takes some good ol art studies.

@Paskie
    I really like the idea you have going. I think a stone dragon would be more interesting to see as a courier or maybe a hybrid between the two concepts you posted, looking forward to seeing more.

@shellnut
    sweet set dude, saw this one when you originally posted it and never upvoted, def will today. Also a second bachelors? I see you weren't as jaded from the school system as I was, what are you going for?
  • RoqueDemon
    Offline / Send Message
    RoqueDemon polycounter lvl 6
    penOr wrote: »
    Really need to work on my texture process as well... gotta watch some anuxi twitch VOD's =)
    Wait... those exist?
    I'm gonna spend all of my free time there from now on D:
  • Solution
    Made a head for void awhile ago, haven't had the chance to continue it till now; though now I'm not sure whether it fits him especially with his teeth and all, Opinions?
    UPDATE -
    3nEBsyE.png
  • HatPoweredSpyCrab
    Offline / Send Message
    EQkFDIW.jpg

MY GOD I HAD THE SAME IDEA TWO WEEKS AGO (THE CONCEPT AT THE RIGHT), NO JOKE I SWEAR IT FOR MY LIFE. I HAVE BEEN GATHERING MANY REFERENCES, TEXTURES,COLOR,ETC. BUT MY 3D SKILLS ARE NOT UP TO THE WORK AS OF NOW. I AM JUST STUNED TO KNOW THAT SOME ONE ELSE TOUGHT OF THE SAME CONCEPT BUT I TOUGHT OF IT AS A HEALING WARD, MAYBE WE COULD COLLABORATE?, I COULD CONTRIBUTE WITH SOME CONCEPTS AND TEXTURES, WHAT SHOULD I DO OMG
  • Hawt Koffee
    Offline / Send Message
    Hawt Koffee polycounter lvl 13
  • Quinnjdq
    Solution wrote: »
    Made a head for void awhile ago, haven't had the chance to continue it till now; though now I'm not sure whether it fits him especially with his teeth and all,
    Opinions?

wjOsLpy.png

Way to detailed for Dota, I would recommend studying the artstyle more.
  • Konras
    Offline / Send Message
    @Hawt I also was planing doing Clinkz set, however I got worried because of his ability that puts his entire body in flames and makes his head brighter. That will probably conflict with adding any headgear or more covering items, so watch out for it. Plus I was a bit worried if they don't want to redesign him, because right now his breakdown is a bit strange... not so flexible for new items.
  • mrpresident
    Offline / Send Message
    mrpresident polycounter lvl 10
    I'd like to post some concepts I did earlier this morning but as it was made perfectly clear last month I can't safely do that anymore.
    but I think I might make a few Clinkz items since he doesn't have very many items, let alone any decent ones.

I don't think you need to worry about that anymore. It's now quite clear that, joke or not, if someone takes someone elses work everyone on the board will quickly jump down their throat :O .
  • Andyk125
    Offline / Send Message
    Andyk125 polycounter lvl 4
    Well Bronto made me doubt which would be good for the weapon so I got three possibillities now, I would love to hear which you guys like best!

teZlZws.jpg
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Offline / Send Message
    vlad_the_implyer polycounter lvl 5
    I'd like to post some concepts I did earlier this morning but as it was made perfectly clear last month I can't safely do that anymore.
    but I think I might make a few Clinkz items since he doesn't have very many items, let alone any decent ones.
    Hahaha, what an ego! Nice going, sport!

Anyways, still can't think of a head item for Lycan, beard turns him into a hobo and an eyepatch is already taken. I want something light and keeping most of his original face visible.

We're also doing nice and shiny things with Sharc, check it out, i'll do some more later.
    CE16B1F00A787A583E50FD210D88268A5BC7BB8C
    Click on it
  • Spudnik
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik polycounter lvl 11
    @Andyk125:
    I like #1

@Hawt
    I don't think you should ever have to worry about posting any concepts here. If something occurs where concepts get stolen, you and the rest of the Polycount community can report the item on the workshop and it will get taken down.
    I also really enjoyed the descriptions for your Centaur set, made my afternoon so thanks for that ^^

Thanks for the feedback guys, we updated the weapon to remove the blood (clicky to be taken to the workshop page):
    268x268.resizedimage

N0DIFdy.jpg
  • hopgood
    Offline / Send Message
    hopgood polycounter lvl 12

MY GOD I HAD THE SAME IDEA TWO WEEKS AGO, NO JOKE I SWEAR IT FOR MY LIFE. I HAVE BEEN GATHERING MANY REFERENCES, TEXTURES,COLOR,ETC. BUT MY 3D SKILLS ARE NOT UP TO THE WORK AS OF NOW. I AM JUST STUNED TO KNOW THAT SOME ONE ELSE TOUGHT OF THE SAME CONCEPT BUT I TOUGHT OF IT AS A HEALING WARD, MAYBE WE COULD COLLABORATE?, I COULD CONTRIBUTE WITH SOME CONCEPTS AND TEXTURES, WHAT SHOULD I DO OMG

Haha, what?

That Healing Ward item has been in game for ages mate and it's got nothing to do with me. I was just merely suggesting that a courier and an item like the ward that isn't attached to a character and that share similar model could be contentious and confusing to new players, unless its implementation and art style were distinct enough.

Relax please.
  • HatPoweredSpyCrab
    Offline / Send Message
    hopgood wrote: »
    Haha, what?

That Healing Ward item has been in game for ages mate and it's got nothing to do with me. I was just merely suggesting that a courier and an item like the ward that isn't attached to a character and that share similar model could be contentious and confusing to new players, unless its implementation and art style were distinct enough.

Relax please.

I know the left one has been for ages a Healing Ward, but I was talking about the concept at the right. Well it was my fault to quote your comment in the first place. I messaged Paskie about the matter. The thing is that I tought of the dragon as a healing Ward. Let's see what comes out of this.
  • marul
    Offline / Send Message
    marul polycounter lvl 7
    I know the left one has been for ages a Healing Ward, but I was talking about the concept at the right. Is there any logic in your brain hopgood? Well it was my fault to quote your comment in the first place. I messaged Paskie about the matter. The thing is that I tought of the dragon as a healing Ward. Let's see what comes out of this.

Haha really interesting, I thought about the same concept for a healing ward but didn't start because there are no requirements posted for it yet. Told the same thing to Paskie myself today. I guess it's not a very original idea then ;)
  • Paskie
    hopgood wrote: »
    While the stone lion is a great idea you would have to be careful about its implementation and look as I think the Juggernaut healing ward replacement could end up looking quite similar. That might impact your chances.

http://www.dota2.com/store/itemdetails/4103

Thx for the heads up! The dragon it is then. I have to be careful about not getting it to look too much like Mushu and i think i have to buy some more Wowtime to check out those new mounts and companions.
  • Paskie
    Haha, well this is interesting :D
  • HatPoweredSpyCrab
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha really interesting, I thought about the same concept for a healing ward but didn't start because there are no requirements posted for it yet. Told the same thing to Paskie myself today. I guess it's not a very original idea then ;)

Jjeje ye he mentioned that someone messaged him with the same matter. Ye bro I was shocked the first time i saw his post jeje. Also the funny part is that I was thinking on sending you a PM like a week ago with the proposal. But I just had sketches. Not a proper concept. Maybe we 3 could work something out of this? I mean for some reason we 3 had the same idea xD. I am still thinking on a Healing Ward for the Juggernaut. I will refine my ideas and send you both a proper concept. Ye it could be not that original, but think this: It would be the first Community Healing Ward for jugg...
  • belkun
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Anyone knows where I can find some runes and glyphs for reference? Like the ones on this Nature's Prophet item:

Runed_Ailettes.png
  • pixelherder
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi does anyone have any advice on character scale, especially for couriers - if i go ahead and rig what i have now and then someone says its too big/small, that'll mean a lot of rework

can valve scale characters on their side/in the engine if necessary?

or is what i have ok? anyone!

scale_zps55e70d8d.jpg
  • spacemonkey
    Offline / Send Message
    spacemonkey polycounter lvl 18
    Aidan, I spoke with valve and they said the most important thing with a bipedal character is to make sure it doesnt read as a hero. I think if u compare your courier to the heroes and the other couriers u should find a comfortable size.
  • mackingtosh
    I don't think you need to worry about that anymore. It's now quite clear that, joke or not, if someone takes someone elses work everyone on the board will quickly jump down their throat :O .

number 2 looks the best imo
  • pixelherder
    Offline / Send Message
    Aidan, I spoke with valve and they said the most important thing with a bipedal character is to make sure it doesnt read as a hero. I think if u compare your courier to the heroes and the other couriers u should find a comfortable size.

cheers for that - i think i'm on roughly the right track then...#famouslastwords
  • ranter
    Hi, I'm currently working on my second try of a Dota two item. The first one, an ogre magi mace, got stopped by a complete lack of ability to make proper flesh textures plus part of it not looking good enough for me to be satisfied. I'll work again on it soon, though
    It's a pair of stone armlets for Ursa. Here are some shots of the model I made for the most relevant part
    FNx3E2K.png
    t1Bxvfh.jpg2wU6Ia4.png

I'm basing the design on this kind of rock. I don't know its name on english, sorry. I'm still working on how should I strap them to the arm. I first thought of a pair of chains

FuvPuoK.png
    cauaP7P.jpg

And though it doesn't look that bad (Bar the spikey links which I would totally modify and make smaller when I make sure I have enough polys left.), I'm still not sure about how would it be the best. I'm going to try next with a smaller rock plate holding the back of the arm, being both connected by chains, and also swapping the chains for roots or vines (Which I think is the way to go, since It'd fit the rough nature theme more than stone chains). I'm also meaning to sculpt and texture it so it looks like Ursa wipes the blood of his claws off with the stones (Thus the carvings on them). I'm also not sure if having a mirror modifier that makes both armlets simmetrical fits "Roughly carved stone" and all that, But that's a compromise I'm making to halve the time I'll spend crying in front of photoshop (Texturing is my personal nightmare).

But first, I'd like to hear your feedback and know if I've screwed up big time. I'm not experienced at this and I'd like as much feedback as I can. I want to get to your level as fast as I can and asking is usually one of the best ways to do that.

Thanks for coping with a rookie who knows nothing.

And just to be safe, this is the thread I''m meant to post this in, isn't it?
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi does anyone have any advice on character scale, especially for couriers - if i go ahead and rig what i have now and then someone says its too big/small, that'll mean a lot of rework

can valve scale characters on their side/in the engine if necessary?

or is what i have ok? anyone!

scale_zps55e70d8d.jpg

yes they can rescale it on their side if needed

i like what you have, i like to think on the volume or "how many pixels it get in the screen" thy to use the same volume and you are good to go

i broke that with my snowl. I wanted to make it smaller and valve rescaled it, now its almost the size of a hero, i left some msgs asking to make it smaller but didnt receive a reply
    EQkFDIW.jpg

MY GOD I HAD THE SAME IDEA TWO WEEKS AGO (THE CONCEPT AT THE RIGHT), NO JOKE I SWEAR IT FOR MY LIFE. I HAVE BEEN GATHERING MANY REFERENCES, TEXTURES,COLOR,ETC. BUT MY 3D SKILLS ARE NOT UP TO THE WORK AS OF NOW. I AM JUST STUNED TO KNOW THAT SOME ONE ELSE TOUGHT OF THE SAME CONCEPT BUT I TOUGHT OF IT AS A HEALING WARD, MAYBE WE COULD COLLABORATE?, I COULD CONTRIBUTE WITH SOME CONCEPTS AND TEXTURES, WHAT SHOULD I DO OMG

that is more common that you imagine, a guy had a courier idea and told me weeks ago, then i saw the exact same courier on the workshop these days, and they didnt shared their ideas

everything that you not creating but getting some other idea/concept can have that problem. like my dragon courier that is not original, its just a dragon. Dragons already "exists".
    the panda courier is a good example of that. we added some "da vinci" wings to it, but its far from beeing an original idea

but when you mix things you make them unique, you guys could think one something like that
    RoqueDemon wrote: »
    Wait... those exist?
    I'm gonna spend all of my free time there from now on D:
    good luck with that =] you cant imagine how many hours there is recorded... i was recording some of my work too but i made a mistake and didnt press the "save forever" button, and a week later i lost almost all my videos...
  • mrpresident
    Offline / Send Message
    Bam. Suddenly Leshrac.

Here's the Workshop Link. Thanks to anyone who upvotes :) .

Collection_Cover.jpg
  • Anuxinamoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    Grats on the upload man. One thing I would personally change is the white parts. They look like they dont have any texture on them. They need some colour in them to make the fur blend better. Having things straight white will not only look unfinished and lazy, but blow out in game because of the ingame lighting.
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Grats on the upload man. One thing I would personally change is the white parts. They look like they dont have any texture on them. They need some colour in them to make the fur blend better. Having things straight white will not only look unfinished and lazy, but blow out in game because of the ingame lighting.

that problem with white we had with the lone druid set, i need to tone down a lot the value of the skin, was everything shiny and without detail
  • mrpresident
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the crit, I tried adding some colored highlights to the mane but it looked terrible so I just left it as white to match his default beard, when I tested it in-game it looked pretty good to me, especially since all of leshrac's entire body glows anyway. Maybe I'll try the highlights or a pattern again, or just change the color completely, I'll wait and see what feedback I get first.