Home Dota 2

Dota 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• Snowstorm
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowstorm polycounter lvl 5
    Dota 2 automatically compiles mdls for you every time you import a model. You just need to navigate to the folders containing the items you've imported before and use the mdls that have been compiled there.
  • riv
    Thanks Snowstorm, i kind of suspected this fact, but good to hear it's actually possible.
  • RENDEREN
    Offline / Send Message
    RENDEREN polycounter lvl 8
    Here is a WIP of my Jugg set.
    345e11340c.jpg

Btw, how do I go about extracting assets from the game? It looks like the jugg set that is downloadable at the Technical Requirments is different from the actual in game. And it looks like it includes a head model. Or is the in game model not the model we should be working from? Here is a pscreen shot of the differences. Notice the width of the arm. Not even the same textures too.
    c905d67db3.jpg
  • Snowstorm
    Offline / Send Message
    The downloadable models aren't always up to date. Best practice is to extract the updated models from the game and use that. It can be pretty troublesome.

I personally try to work from the downloadable models but only if I've checked that there are no differences.
  • Vovosunt
    Offline / Send Message
    Vovosunt polycounter lvl 4
    They just recently updated jugg (without posting about it anywhere), so yeah the t.r. model is old
  • RENDEREN
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowstorm wrote: »
    The downloadable models aren't always up to date. Best practice is to extract the updated models from the game and use that. It can be pretty troublesome.

I personally try to work from the downloadable models but only if I've checked that there are no differences.

So what's the easiest way of doing this? I got the jugg files out using GFC but I need to convert the files. I tried compiling tex_c2tga but it wouldn't work on my 64 bit machine for some reason. And I also tried D2ModKit to convert the files but that didn't work either. And that's only for textures. I need to convert vmesh_c files to readable objs. I was watching a tutorial on extracting models from Pior but the files he extracted are different. They have a .vtx extension. I'm guessing they were all changed during the Reborn Update?
  • pior
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Rendered : yeah, as far as I am aware all the files are different now. You can get the old paks by downloading Dota2Test, which still uses the old system. That said, there is no way to know how long this will remain available.
  • RENDEREN
    Offline / Send Message
    Pior: I'll check it out. Thanks for the tutorial btw. Your sets are amazing!
  • polaroid29
    Offline / Send Message
    polaroid29 polycounter lvl 6
    Starting a Dragon Knight set! IVN handling the concept, myself doing 3d work.

Here's our rough stage 1 progress so far:

zx3tno2.jpg

DIZ7uLB.jpg
  • RENDEREN
    Offline / Send Message
    Was able to extract the files from Test Client however those files are the same as the ones in the Technical Requirement so they are outdated. Guess I'll just have to wait and see if there are any other way to converting the new files to readable files.
  • BlueFlytrap
    Offline / Send Message
    BlueFlytrap polycounter lvl 9
    You have three options Renderen.

The first is waiting patiently for valve to update the workshop resources which in all likelihood will not happen for a long while.
    The second is using a source 2 model decompiler when one is developed. No time estimate for when this may happen.
    The third is forcibly ripping it with something like ninjaripper and then repairing the results for use as a base.

First option will give the best results. Third option is the fastest.
  • Snowstorm
    Offline / Send Message
    RENDEREN wrote: »
    So what's the easiest way of doing this? I got the jugg files out using GFC but I need to convert the files. I tried compiling tex_c2tga but it wouldn't work on my 64 bit machine for some reason. And I also tried D2ModKit to convert the files but that didn't work either. And that's only for textures. I need to convert vmesh_c files to readable objs. I was watching a tutorial on extracting models from Pior but the files he extracted are different. They have a .vtx extension. I'm guessing they were all changed during the Reborn Update?

Well the Dota 2 Test client just got deleted... It wouldn't have stayed up to date with Reborn anyway. My suggestion is to wait until Valve reveals what they have in store for the workshop tools next week. They might provide a way to decompile models from the model viewer or something so that they don't have to constantly update their workshop resources.

In the meantime I suggest testing your base meshes with the Source 2 model viewer to make sure they fit before proceeding too far. Anuxi has an awesome tutorial for how to do that:
    [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e44ZAO58vrI[/ame]
  • RENDEREN
    Offline / Send Message
    @BlueFlytrap: Yeah, I think I'll wait haha.Unless someone manages to decompile a lot of the models from Reborn and just post it somewhere.

@Snowstorm: Yeah, hopefully they create a more streamlined set of tools to make this Item creation pipeline a lot more intuitive. And yeah, was watching that tutorial a few days ago. Will try it as soon as I get some low poly down.
  • Pain
    Offline / Send Message
    Pain polycounter lvl 9
    Hey guys, I have a question, is it ok if we copy an armor concept from other game and create one for dota 2 heroes? Like you got Jason mask for Pudge, Bioshock helmet for Tidehunter, etc...
  • darkkyo
    Offline / Send Message
    darkkyo polycounter lvl 6
    Pain wrote: »
    Hey guys, I have a question, is it ok if we copy an armor concept from other game and create one for dota 2 heroes? Like you got Jason mask for Pudge, Bioshock helmet for Tidehunter, etc...

Copying is generally not okay, whether it be from other workshop creators or other franchises entirely. That's someone else's idea you're basically trying to make money off of. On the other hand, borrowing heavy inspiration and motifs from other art is usually alright as long as it doesn't cross over the boundary into outright plagiarism. The Tidehunter helmet doesn't look enough like a Big Daddy helmet for there to be any issues; diving helmets have been around for a long time.
  • Pain
    Offline / Send Message
    Pain polycounter lvl 9
    darkkyo wrote: »
    Copying is generally not okay, whether it be from other workshop creators or other franchises entirely. That's someone else's idea you're basically trying to make money off of. On the other hand, borrowing heavy inspiration and motifs from other art is usually alright as long as it doesn't cross over the boundary into outright plagiarism. The Tidehunter helmet doesn't look enough like a Big Daddy helmet for there to be any issues; diving helmets have been around for a long time.

So, do you mean that we can borrow the ideal, the style, the color, but as long as we don't make it looks totally the same then it would be ok?

Because I see that in Dota 2 there're some heroes that looks the same style as heroes from "Heroes of the storm", especially the Pudge, he looks a lot like Butcher from Blizzard.
  • darkkyo
    Offline / Send Message
    darkkyo polycounter lvl 6
    So, do you mean that we can borrow the ideal, the style, the color, but as long as we don't make it looks totally the same then it would be ok?

Because I see that in Dota 2 there're some heroes that looks the same style as heroes from "Heroes of the storm", especially the Pudge, he looks a lot like Butcher from Blizzard.

The ideal thing to do would be to create your own wholly original ideas. You shouldn't be trying to copy other's ideas just because they are successful. It's fine if you see something that inspires you and you want to integrate a similar feeling into your own designs but someone else's idea should probably not be the starting point for your own creations.
  • Pain
    Offline / Send Message
    Pain polycounter lvl 9
    I've got it, thanks for your answer :).
  • Vovosunt
    Offline / Send Message
    Vovosunt polycounter lvl 4

This made me cringe so hard...
  • Sukotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    Pudge and Stitches look similar because they're based off the same hero from Dota1.

If you have to ask if 'copying' is okay, whatever you're doing is probably not morally or legally ethical.
  • Pain
    Offline / Send Message
    Pain polycounter lvl 9
    Don't be so harsh on me.
    Pudge and Stitches look similar because they're based off the same hero from Dota1.
    So you just basically using the word "based off" for everything looks similar?

Maybe I did use the wrong word, I didn't mean "copying" for everything, I was just meant for a survey, tentative subject on how you guys thinking about an idea for a new design.
    Just wanna make this clear.
  • Snowstorm
    Offline / Send Message
    Don't be so harsh on me.

So you just basically using the word "based off" for everything looks similar?

Maybe I did use the wrong word, I didn't mean "copying" for everything, I was just meant for a survey, tentative subject on how you guys thinking about an idea for a new design.
    Just wanna make this clear.

No, they literally were based off the same hero from Dota 1. Dota 1 was a Warcraft III mod that used Blizzard's WC3 models. Stitches is an Undead Abomination http://classic.battle.net/war3/undead/units/abomination.shtml and in Dota 1 pudge used the same model http://www.playdota.com/heroes/butcher

Other than that you might also recognise Pudge's Fresh Meat line, which is from Diablo's Butcher. The fresh meat line in Dota 1 was in fact a sound clip taken from Diablo. Dota 1 was a mash of tons of Blizzard assets and stuff from other games/shows. When Valve translated Dota 1 to Dota 2 they tried to keep a lot of the WC3 flavour as well, hence they will naturally look similar.
  • nanoman01
    [IMG][/img]qweqwezxc.jpg

Guys i have some question, how to animate a hair like that??
  • nanoman01
    [IMG][/img]qweqwezxc.jpg

Guys please help me, How to animate hair like that??
  • nanoman01
    [IMG][/img]qweqwezxc.jpg

Guys please help, How to animate hair like that???
  • Hawt Koffee
  • RENDEREN
    Offline / Send Message
    Anyone here having trouble exporting from Maya as an FBX and importing it to the new Item Submission Tool? I keep getting errors that says that it couldn't find bones that is corresponded with the hero model. I'm using the bones that came with the model in the Technical Requirements page. Bound my model to that and exported. I have successfully imported items before in game with no problems. I used the same process. Only now, I'm getting this error.

Side Note: I'm making a set for Juggernaut. And we have found out that they updated the juggernaut model for Reborn and thus not making it consistent with the files in the Technical Requirements page. Now I'm wondering if they changed the whole rig as well. This would put every jugg set in progress on hold then. =(

That, or I'm just completely missing something.... wouldn't be surprised.

EDIT: Solved it!
  • EduardoMC
    Offline / Send Message
    EduardoMC polycounter lvl 5
    Anyone here having trouble exporting from Maya as an FBX and importing it to the new Item Submission Tool? I keep getting errors that says that it couldn't find bones that is corresponded with the hero model. I'm using the bones that came with the model in the Technical Requirements page. Bound my model to that and exported. I have successfully imported items before in game with no problems. I used the same process. Only now, I'm getting this error.

Side Note: I'm making a set for Juggernaut. And we have found out that they updated the juggernaut model for Reborn and thus not making it consistent with the files in the Technical Requirements page. Now I'm wondering if they changed the whole rig as well. This would put every jugg set in progress on hold then. =(

That, or I'm just completely missing something.... wouldn't be surprised.

EDIT: Solved it!

How? Just in case anyone else goes through the same issues. :\
  • EduardoMC
    Offline / Send Message
    EduardoMC polycounter lvl 5
    Snowstorm wrote: »

The rigs are the same though, right? So even if the Jugg model is different, the base rig would be the same and wouldn't break new items and such, correct? (Other than them maybe not fitting the new polygon model as well) :\
  • katzeimsack
    Offline / Send Message
    katzeimsack polycounter lvl 17
    I'm using the bones that came with the model in the Technical Requirements page.

Always decompile! Most of the provided models are outdated..
  • Clyptic
    Offline / Send Message
    Clyptic polycounter lvl 6
    I could use some insight on a problem I am having with Beast master. The head piece I am working on for him covers most of his head and is bound to his head bone. However when he attacks, for example, his head clips through on the back and front. I noticed his head is weighted a little to his hair bones on the back. But that doesn't explain clipping through the front. How is his head clipping through the mesh when the mesh is bound to just his head?

Edit: I noticed the default head piece gets clipped through a little as well, but not as much...
  • belkun
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Clyptic wrote: »
    I could use some insight on a problem I am having with Beast master. The head piece I am working on for him covers most of his head and is bound to his head bone. However when he attacks, for example, his head clips through on the back and front. I noticed his head is weighted a little to his hair bones on the back. But that doesn't explain clipping through the front. How is his head clipping through the mesh when the mesh is bound to just his head?

Edit: I noticed the default head piece gets clipped through a little as well, but not as much...

That seems to be an issue with the importer: http://dev.dota2.com/showthread.php?t=182070
  • Clyptic
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun wrote: »
    That seems to be an issue with the importer: http://dev.dota2.com/showthread.php?t=182070

That is my issue exactly. I had not tried an in game preview though, because I thought I just didn't have it rigged right or something. However it works perfectly as expected in the in game preview, in which case I should just ignore it and submit anyway?
  • belkun
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Clyptic wrote: »
    That is my issue exactly. I had not tried an in game preview though, because I thought I just didn't have it rigged right or something. However it works perfectly as expected in the in game preview, in which case I should just ignore it and submit anyway?

I assume it's just something with the importer preview, because if you load up the model on the model viewer, it's fine, and considering the files (at least the ones I tested) were working on Source 1, I'd say it's okay to ignore and submit.
  • katzeimsack
    Offline / Send Message
    Some Wip of my newest courier:

courier01.gif
    courier02.gif

Hope you like it :)
  • Konras
    Offline / Send Message
    Konras polycounter lvl 12
    @katzeimsack Hands down, looks awesome. I love every bite of it. Mostly this awesome env shine on his armor. Feathers came really nicely. Awesome job. Cant wait to see it finished. For this idle animation when owl is stretching wings/shoulders I would love to see cat loosing balance is his basket :D
  • bounchfx
    boy that guy looks a bit familiar... ;)

looks really nice, my only concerns being he looks a bit too much like a character/hero (but maybe his scale will solve this), and the cat is a bit too cutesy for my tastes, but the dota community seems to eat that shit up so don't mind me. Quality wise it's fuckin ace, great work dude!
  • katzeimsack
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Konras and bounch!
    I'll try to scale him down a bit, right now he's one of the biggest couriers :/
    Yeah, I added the cat to appeal to the dota community, they love cute couriers..
  • LexxDaniloff
  • Haftoof
    Offline / Send Message
    Haftoof polycounter lvl 4
  • mihalceanu
    Offline / Send Message
    mihalceanu polycounter lvl 6
    Haftoof : Nah , its ok imo , but I would add some shading , its a bit even top-bottom (needs some gradients and stufs ) ; anda maybe make the shouders bigger
    the hammer could use some work on the cristal part too .

A very good start for your first set .

On a more serious note :) , check out our treant themed courier , and drop a like plox
    FYB1f2t.jpg

link : http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=528569328
  • rayle1112
    Offline / Send Message
    rayle1112 polycounter lvl 6
    Haftoof wrote: »
    Ummmmm...

latest?cb=20141123100607

I think this is a free model fron SMITE. You didnt make it
  • Pain
    Offline / Send Message
    Pain polycounter lvl 9

courier01.gif
    courier02.gif

So fucking cuteeeeeeee, I love it :poly142:.
  • Clyptic
    Offline / Send Message
    @rayle1112 He is not saying he made it, he is pointing out how similar some aspects are to LexxDaniloff's Set.

@LexxDaniloff For the most part I think it's fine, but the shoulders are pretty much a copy of the Thor's from Smite. It's one thing to draw inspiration from and another to just copy. Some aspects are a little close to being just copied, something to be careful of in the future.
  • Paproch
    Working on set for Bugwerk.

roXLmcK.jpg
  • down_limit
    Offline / Send Message
    down_limit polycounter lvl 10

courier01.gif
    courier02.gif

e's will be one of my top favorites couriers in doto! GL!
  • Pain
    Offline / Send Message
    Pain polycounter lvl 9
    Hello guys,

I'm newbie and I'm using 3dsmax to import SMD from Valve model, but it seems like it has problem with the axis position, anyone knows how to solve this problem? Or I just simply rotate 90 degrees?
  • mihalceanu
    Offline / Send Message
    mihalceanu polycounter lvl 6
    Pain : there should be a y- axis option to be up or right , or smting :) ; if u change that , it should be ok .
  • Clyptic
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished up a set for BM.

NyJhEzi.jpg?1
  • kite212
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212 polycounter lvl 15
    Hey guys! I have not been active in like a billion years because of my life hating me and throwing curve balls left and right. I am trying to get some sets done, but since reborn I noticed how broken one of my accepted items was, and I wanted fix it and resubmit it as an update. Has anyone used the new importer for Gyro? I have this issue with the head piece. The same rig form the source 1 model is not working. It is placing the head piece too high. offsetting it was not working, Trying other various things puts the hat in worse places, and I cant decomplie the new models, because you know, reborn. Am i going insane, pls help YhpjRem.png