Home Dota 2

Dota 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• phobalien
    Offline / Send Message
    phobalien polycounter lvl 6
    Here I am again people!
    this time I should be there on the final tweak!

Thanks again for the comments and compliments. In the beginning I was pretty happy with the result I had but can see how the texture got better with some tuning on layers and baked maps.
    Last round of tweaks included:
    - a blue gradient layer previously only on the AO is now duplicated on the bent map. This gives a much more prominent bluish shadow gradient. I was too gentle before :).
    - I went back to double check the art guide and I actually got it right this time! I mixed the ''direct light map'' (that I didn't bake before) with the bent map (that I was already using). I thought I was done and instead I was missing this effect. Is not super prominent but it is there and I hope you can read the top down gradient now!
    - gradient on all the horns that turns them into a redish/orangish tone toward the tip.

Well if nothing major is spot on it, I would say that the texturing phase is finally done. Once again, thanks for the help to everyone! now I'll leave you to the image and I will take care of the art piece and perhaps icons ;).
    Best

njnFY3T.jpghttp:
  • danjohncox
    Offline / Send Message
    danjohncox polycounter lvl 7
    Workin on a courier for a Toronto based Tournament. And actually I'm looking for an animator to help out on it too. Short deadline, bit of a rush. PM me or email dano.cox@gmail.com if you're interested. Would also love some feedback too!

4mBvBkD.jpg
    ytRau02.jpg
  • motenai
    Offline / Send Message
    motenai polycounter lvl 18
    It's looking pretty great Phobalien!
    The only thing i'd adjust is a bit the gloss on the sleeves, it looks very much like it's very wet, which i doubt is the effect you wanted to achieve.
    Besides that i think it's ready! SHIP IT!
  • Swaggernaut
    Offline / Send Message
    Swaggernaut polycounter lvl 2
    Hey guys some WiP on texturing ward, stil gotta add some more shading and a soupy texture in the pot.

6hna45r.png?1
  • Clyptic
    Offline / Send Message
    Clyptic polycounter lvl 6
    @danjohncox Everything could use some gradient and the items especially need some ao and highlights. His head in general needs to be brighter as I doubt it will read well at all as is.
  • Swaggernaut
    Offline / Send Message
    Clyptic wrote: »
    @danjohncox Everything could use some gradient and the items especially need some ao and highlights. His head in general needs to be brighter as I doubt it will read well at all as is.

Its just a Zbrush polypaint; only a color map is applied onto a material, no bakes have been spplied whatsoever. He just sculpted the model and painted directly over it :)
  • danjohncox
    Offline / Send Message
    lol you got it swag. but I should think about that gradient when I bake anyways to make sure that stuff shows up better.
  • BohSheh
    Offline / Send Message
    BohSheh polycounter lvl 9
    edit thanks gonna try it with override on

edit2: same error, this is where im creating the directory folder vengeful

\Steam\steamapps\common\dota 2 beta\dota\root\materials\models\heroes

am i putting it in the wrong place?

mine doesnt have root
    Try this directory : Steam\steamapps\common\dota 2 beta\dota\materials\models\heroes\vengeful

I think everything is already provided except you have to create "vengeful" in the heroes folder .
  • Clyptic
    Offline / Send Message
    @danjohncox haha my bad, definitely didn't notice that was the high poly with polypaint. I am curious as to how he will walk/run though. A belly that size seems like it would cause some waddling.

Edit: It would be pretty cool if you made the chest partially open and stuffed with treasure. Then either have the lid bounce up and down as he runs or the treasure. Just a thought.
  • foxclover
    Hey, does anyone use Blender? I could use some help. I just updated my blender to the most recent one yesterday, and subsequently updated the blender source tools add-on, and suddenly it's having a ton of trouble importing SMDs. When I try importing my smd onto the base model, it gives me a traceback error.

I thought maybe I messed up somewhere, so I tried importing the smd into a blank file; turns out, I can successfully import one smd, but any attempts to import anything else (fbx/smd) afterwards just won't import anything at all. The program doesn't freeze or hang up - after clicking which file to import...... NOTHING HAPPENS.

I've tried reinstalling the add-on, restarting blender, and flailing uselessly at the program repeatedly. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

:[
  • Rubus
    Offline / Send Message
    Rubus polycounter lvl 5
    It's been a while since I don't do Dota related stuff, but as I'm planning going back to an abandoned Sniper set I can check that for you later.

If it happens to me I'll give you a heads up, if it doesn't we can try to see what's happening there.
  • Coyo.Te
    Offline / Send Message
    Coyo.Te polycounter lvl 4
    foxclover wrote: »
    Hey, does anyone use Blender? I could use some help. I just updated my blender to the most recent one yesterday, and subsequently updated the blender source tools add-on, and suddenly it's having a ton of trouble importing SMDs. When I try importing my smd onto the base model, it gives me a traceback error.

I thought maybe I messed up somewhere, so I tried importing the smd into a blank file; turns out, I can successfully import one smd, but any attempts to import anything else (fbx/smd) afterwards just won't import anything at all. The program doesn't freeze or hang up - after clicking which file to import...... NOTHING HAPPENS.

I've tried reinstalling the add-on, restarting blender, and flailing uselessly at the program repeatedly. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

:[

did you redownload the blender source tools? i might not recall correctly but i had something similar i think. for me it worked when i installed the newest version of the source tools.
  • Nikey
    Offline / Send Message
    Nikey polycounter lvl 10
    phobalien wrote: »
    Here I am again people!
    njnFY3T.jpghttp:

Good job! Looks really better!
    Did you try to resize your textures to ingame size? If you did not, I guess if you will do that you will get better ingame result :)
  • foxclover
    Coyo.Te wrote: »
    did you redownload the blender source tools? i might not recall correctly but i had something similar i think. for me it worked when i installed the newest version of the source tools.

That was the first thing I tried, but it didn't help. :[
  • Papaguj
    Help !
    Hi guys, I am having some trouble with the particle effects, cannot figure out whats wrong. Some vertexes are just too bright ( when I select them, they count 1 vert. per point ). There are images from in-game and from maya with the UVs.

And, by the way, every time I try to export a mesh from my maya, it creates automaticly labert1 material on the first lod, and a diferent one to the lod0. in the Window>Hypershade menu it doesnt let me delete the default labert1 material..
    How can I delete the materials from the lods ?

Thanks!

0G2g1kZ.jpg

VLK1tY7.jpg

7A6Uc6u.jpg
  • Swaggernaut
    Offline / Send Message
    Some more WiP on ward F2Oqesb.png?1
  • Rubus
    Offline / Send Message
    Rubus polycounter lvl 5
    @foxclover:

Just tested the importer with the Lina base model, and it works without issues.

Maybe it's related to the files you're trying to import, dunno.
  • Moffee
    Hey-o guys! We finished the set on Ogre. Vote, if you liked it!
    B354148B91B9F64BD93FA4060B2BAB37B29D1FB7
  • BohSheh
    Offline / Send Message
    BohSheh polycounter lvl 9
    Moffee wrote: »
    Hey-o guys! We finished the set on Ogre. Vote, if you liked it!

I like that weapon concept , but if you make the flame the about the height as the swirly like thing and it would be better .
  • foxclover
    Rubus wrote: »
    @foxclover:

Just tested the importer with the Lina base model, and it works without issues.

Maybe it's related to the files you're trying to import, dunno.

Figured it out, maybe; the files were fine. I tried running both valve's models and my own from previous sets. When I uninstalled blender the first time, though, I didn't delete the old user preferences and add-ons, and I think the old and the new versions were both trying to run simultaneously, and not liking each other because of it.

Anyway, I downgraded back to an older version of blender and source tools, and everything's working fine now. ^^; Thanks for everything, Rubus + coyote! <3
  • JovaGrof
    Offline / Send Message
    JovaGrof polycounter lvl 4
    Ey guys,the model is finished,this is the great 3D work of Freeheartex.
    Final sculpt and bakes.

image.jpg
    screenshot001.jpg
  • Attasik
  • nvvb
    Hey, can someone explain to me how to create a courier turn animation in blender? I tried a bunch of stuff and managed to get it to kind of work, but my model is always deformed like crazy when i look at it in the model viewer.
  • Strimax
    Meanwhile sculpture armor for Lina is ready!
    3ed26b0a9e8ef3cca346a3dc636eb968.jpg
    62f9f64fa9b526f8a82fe603be9d0c80.jpg
    c2dab43089052f2db1f8483c3bc89654.jpg
  • Coyo.Te
    Offline / Send Message
    Coyo.Te polycounter lvl 4
    I've written something on the idea of fantasy chests. kind of a proposition to valve. maybe you wanna join in on the art part. take a read and decide
    https://workshopcoyote.wordpress.com/2015/05/17/forgotten-treasures-part-special-edition-moa-chests/
  • Ti-Rex
    Offline / Send Message
    Ti-Rex polycounter lvl 2
    BohSheh wrote: »
    I like that weapon concept , but if you make the flame the about the height as the swirly like thing and it would be better .

I am very glad that you liked concept :)
  • stoofoo
    Offline / Send Message
    stoofoo polycounter lvl 18
    silenceringame.jpg

silencerhp.jpg

Getting to the final stretch on this model. Gorrem did the initial concept, then we banged it around into what it is now. Some craziness happening to the spec mask thats causing some pretty whacky pixelation, will fix tonight.
  • blossomalex
    Our latest 2 sets : Windranger and Omniknight
    zEdcv6F.jpg?1
    B5sEInt.jpg?1
  • Swaggernaut
    Offline / Send Message
    Fianl texture for the ward
    RU2uFIR.png?1
  • Clyptic
    Offline / Send Message
  • Hudston
    Offline / Send Message
    Hudston polycounter lvl 10
    Clyptic wrote: »
    Resolved

You don't have to remove your post, mate. That was some nice concept art!
  • Swaggernaut
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally done the meepo set! Just need to do marketing images now..

AdYHtqc.jpg?1
  • Ris
    Offline / Send Message
    Ris polycounter lvl 5
    Hi guys! I just started creating stuff for DotA2. This is my second item, I published it already, but still really want to know your opinion. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=445552498
    11E93535B8C59D815422F39B5C2F3C8A586F54193E9C613E5665E0D0659A5D91FD4089C346B7120B
  • Haftoof
    Offline / Send Message
    Haftoof polycounter lvl 4
    @Ris

You might want to keep your style a little bit more outlandish, I'm not sure on the poly count for the item but you could of made the skull larger and more covering, also give the item more pop in color so its readable at a distance. You might also want to put a purple hue on the white as it stands out from her color pallete.
  • rayle1112
    Offline / Send Message
    rayle1112 polycounter lvl 6
    Hi guys!

I'm learning making dota 2 iems and I have some newbie questions:

1. Are we allowed to customize the hero's face and proportion? or just items?

2. I downloaded dota 2 models on the workshop website. They are all triangulated so how can I use them? or they are just for references?
  • Primrose~
    Offline / Send Message
    Primrose~ triangle
    rayle1112 wrote: »
    Hi guys!

I'm learning making dota 2 iems and I have some newbie questions:

1. Are we allowed to customize the hero's face and proportion? or just items?

2. I downloaded dota 2 models on the workshop website. They are all triangulated so how can I use them? or they are just for references?

Heya, I'll help ya out in case others don't get around to it.

1. Kind of a tricky question! The models that are given from the workshop requirements page are pretty set in stone, honestly. If you're interested in giving an entirely new humanoid face, you'll be in for quite the challenge due to the polycount limits, and how there isn't really a slot there. Now, that's not to say you couldn't, technically, but it'd be very hard. The less humanoid the face, the easier it is, though. Generally giving little facial changes or touch ups is easier and better received by the community when it's on less humanoid characters.

2. Purely reference! Besides the rig and making sure your cosmetic models work on it, there's not much else you can really do with them, besides maybe pose them for a Marmo render or something of that sort.

Hope that helps!
  • rayle1112
    Offline / Send Message
    rayle1112 polycounter lvl 6
    Primrose~ wrote: »
    Heya, I'll help ya out in case others don't get around to it.

1. Kind of a tricky question! The models that are given from the workshop requirements page are pretty set in stone, honestly. If you're interested in giving an entirely new humanoid face, you'll be in for quite the challenge due to the polycount limits, and how there isn't really a slot there. Now, that's not to say you couldn't, technically, but it'd be very hard. The less humanoid the face, the easier it is, though. Generally giving little facial changes or touch ups is easier and better received by the community when it's on less humanoid characters.

2. Purely reference! Besides the rig and making sure your cosmetic models work on it, there's not much else you can really do with them, besides maybe pose them for a Marmo render or something of that sort.

Hope that helps!

Thank Primrose! It helps me a lot. I have one more question:

Dota 2 workshop models are missing some heroes (Zeus for example). So is it possible to make items for those heroes? Also, is it required to make custom icons, wallpaper promotion,...? because I'm not a 2D artist so I'm a little bit worried about that
  • Swaggernaut
    Offline / Send Message
    You could try to make items for heroes like Zeus but he's not really ready for the workshop just yet. Plus we don really know how the polygon/ texture limits really are so it's a bit iffy.
  • danjohncox
    Offline / Send Message
    Found someone to animate for my little courier dude and at the same time finally posted my long time coming Qop Set. Was certainly a fun set to make. Concept by Cottonwings

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=446529573&savesuccess=1

b7F7oie.gif
    12745812EE6F1042D04C09FECF37B79DF0D7CA77
  • variant844
    Offline / Send Message
    variant844 polycounter lvl 2
    Amazing set
    Love the dagger.Really elegant and deadly
  • foxclover
    Those qop wings are adorable! Great job!
  • ShorkGamer
    Offline / Send Message
    ShorkGamer polycounter lvl 7
    Very artistic.
  • danjohncox
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks folks! Cottonwing's concept was really great and I'm glad I could do the idea some justice hopefully.
    Actually a question too, how do you get rid of the white aliasing happening on my turntable gif? I'm surprised and confused by its presence
  • Rubus
    Offline / Send Message
    Rubus polycounter lvl 5
    rayle1112 wrote: »
    Also, is it required to make custom icons, wallpaper promotion,...? because I'm not a 2D artist so I'm a little bit worried about that

It's not required, but highly advised as an item with poor presentation is very likely not going to be so popular, which in turn slims your chances of acceptance.

Custom ability icons aren't really necessary for that though, but a good promo cover, a good wallpaper and thumbnails can make a big difference.

There are a lot of talented 2d artists on this board you can collab with, maybe post some WIPs and make an offer, I'm sure someone will take the job if it's good enough.
  • JovaGrof
  • danjohncox
    Offline / Send Message
    oh man! that's such an awesome Sniper! I'm a little sad those fireballs in the loading screen don't show him off all that well. Would love to see him more readable in the promo image
  • Swaggernaut
    Offline / Send Message
    JovaGrof wrote: »

Well If you remove the fireball in front of sniper, then I think it would look a bit better, since it is covering sniper up a little bit
  • kite212
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212 polycounter lvl 15
    JovaGrof wrote: »

I agree with the others. Right now you have a piece of shrapnel covering sniper, then not too far from that you have the muzzle flash. These 2 things are causing a conflict with what the focal point should be, sniper. Also if these "fireballs" are his shrapnel, I would say to make them all a bit smaller, as well as completely removing the one covering sniper
  • bounchfx
    danjohncox wrote: »
    how do you get rid of the white aliasing happening on my turntable gif? I'm surprised and confused by its presence

to the right of the transparency checkbox in photoshop, change your Matte color to something dark. I usually use the same color as polycount's post background or the workshop bg color
  • somerandomidiot
    Offline / Send Message
    somerandomidiot polycounter lvl 4
    I've been working on a set for faceless void, any comments or critiques would be greatly appreciated

Pdbj5DJ.jpg

IC0YJPa.jpg