Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Elder Scrolls Online - Nord Well

Hi Guys,

It's been a while since I posted due to work commitments but i'm doing my best to find to time to work on personal projects!

I decided to create a Nord Well game asset inspired by the Elder Scrolls Online Artbook!

Created using 3DS Max, Knald and Photoshop. Rendered in Marmoset.

I enjoyed working on this project! Any critique is welcome

Cheers guys! :)

Day Shot!

Nord_Well_Final01.jpg

Night Time Shot!

Nord_Well_Final02.jpg

Shot From a Different Angle!

Nord_Well_Final03.jpg

Replies

• ben365-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bumping Up! Any Thoughts? :)
  • Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    Cool project. The lighting and presentation could be better. The lighting looks pretty flat and nothing really pops. The materials are reading flat and similar too. This could be due to the lighting though. What do your texture maps look like?

I feel like the silhouette could be much stronger as well.

You have roof tiles and yet it's just a flat texture. Why not make some of the ends actually be geometry and stick out more than others to break up the straight line silhouette?

The ropes could be separate geometry and poke out a little. The ropes holding the bucket are really thin. I would give them a bit more thickness to make them read better. As it is now they're reading about as thin as a piece of string.

The stones and stone tiles could use some actual geometry as well to bump a few pieces out and break up the flat silhouette.

Hope this helps! Keep it up! :)
  • jamesman82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    here's a few suggestions. take them with a grain of salt, since i'm only guessing at your goal with this piece:

the whole thing in general looks very shiny, like it's all wet. even if that's your goal, there should be more material separation. stone, metal, wood - these all have unique properties.

it doesn't look like you generated a high-poly source mesh for this. it's not a terribly large, complicated piece; i would take some time and make a proper mesh to bake from. right now, it just looks like you took a bunch of photo-referenced textures, filtered the diffuse through nDO (or Crazybump or whatever), and called that your normal map.

in general, i would say there's an inconsistency in the density of the details in your texture. in particular, the roof thatching is very small, the rope on the vertical beams and horizontal beams are two completely different sizes and the cobblestones have two different sizes.

the rope on the bucket is very, very thin, especially compared to the rest of the mesh.

the rope on the beam at the top has a weird bend to it. i'm not sure if it's a UV issue or something to do with the shape of the mesh. personally, i'd like to see you spend a few polys to actually indicate these ropes in the mesh.

keep working at it. i think if you polish this a little more, it'll be a nice piece!
  • ben365-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback guys! I have created a high poly mesh for this model and baked out a normal for it! I will post up the high poly and low poly! The texture are mostly photo referenced but I made the normals from height maps and not the diffuse which is what I do all the time! I understand where you are coming from with the lighting and I will definitely focus on that! I'm a better modeller than I am at texturing, are there any source that can help out with improving my texture workflow? Cheers again guys and carry on modelling! :)
  • ben365-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's a link to a full resolution of the asset! Feel free to point out any sections that need improvement, probably the the texturing and presentation! Cheers guys!

http://postimg.org/image/y5i1u726d/full/