Home Quixel Megascans

Megascans open beta launch delayed

Unfortunately as the title says, the Megascans open beta launch will suffer a delay. Due to some very sad personal events affecting key Quixel staff, the 30th April deadline will be impossible to hit. Everybody involved fought very hard to keep the scheduled launch, but in the end it was just not possible.

I know this is not the first time it has been delayed, and I´m sure many of you are disappointed. Rest assured that development has not stopped on Megascans, but we don´t know how long the delay will be, and I don´t think there will be any more dates, when it´s done it will be released, (Open Beta).

The people working at the heart of Megascans were incredibly excited about finally unveiling all their work to the public, and hopefully they will get to do so soon!

As soon as there are any developments I will let you know.

Replies

• Abdullah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i am not surprised.
  • repete
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    repete polycounter lvl 6
    Stop releasing mind numbing "this is coming" & "that is coming" statements and you will not find yourselves in this position. Quixel have been doing this for months and it just frustrates your users, get the product ready and stop posting hype. Your user base will continue to shrink if you keep going down this road.

Learn from it and move on.
  • David1983
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thats not a surpise at all. I guess there will be also no new version of the quixel suite right ? So we are left again with this unfinished piece of software and a million new coming soon promises, thats fantastic.

I have never made such a bad experience with a software like with quixel, really. I mean this is just unbelievable, quixel is really on the best way to frighten even the last customers which are still believeing in this company.
  • endeffect
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    endeffect polycounter lvl 8
    Ok, i'm not surprised too. But where is the new version of ddo with gpu baker and 3d painting? Is it possible to get refund months after i bought quixel suite?
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    Sad to hear this news but I suppose this kind of thing happens all the time. I'll happily wait for Megascans though, it looks amazing.
  • BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    I'm sure no-one's happy about this, least of all the Quixel team.

I hope whatever the problems/roadblocks are that they can be quickly and cleanly resolved without too much stress, and I hope to see you guys out with new content and updates ASAP. This is a little disappointing, but I'd rather see you guys wait until it's ready instead of trying to push it so hard out the door that you bury it in the ground in the process. Keep up the hard work.
  • DavePhipps
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavePhipps polycounter lvl 7
    Guys, it sounds like someone died "Due to some very sad personal events affecting key Quixel staff" Cut them a bit of slack.
  • endeffect
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Megascans is not the most important feature for me. But they do this thing for quixel suite too. 1.9 has been announced on december 5 and they said "Coming soon". It's almost may and no other news from it. It really started to make me feel like i bought an early access game and developers ran away.
  • David1983
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @endeffect, Absolutly! I feel the same way like you. At least i have decided that the quixel suite was the last piece of software i bought from quixel, no matter what kind of revolutionary software may come in the future.

There is absolutly no support, a lot of customers are just angry that they have bought this kind of let's call it experimental software. There is reason why there comments are closed on facebook. No matter what they say or wrote, it shows only that they are afraid of getting spamed with negative feedback. This whole quixel suite and megascans thing is simply just disappointing.

Thats a good question endeffect! At least they should give the possibility to refund unhappy customers they're money.
  • tungerz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tungerz polygon
    Me personally, i could care less about megascans...
    if i can not get updates for the quixel suite, this company will never get another dime from me.
  • endeffect
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @David1983, I really wonder it because when i bought quixel suite first, i was not regret even thought quixel's past. I'm not comparing these products of course but after months while allegorithmic forums full of technical talkings, good questions, tutorials or nodes people share with community, people's works, new plugins or "released" features, quixel forum is full of bugs, glitches, crash reports, errors, asking for release date of mega-scans threads, non-filled promises about megascans, announced fantastic features with "coming soon" tag attached to them, and don't forget the super-mega-2015-gdc-reel-of-quixel but %70 on that video is not released yet and nobody know when it will. Same experience from same company like old times.

The next thing will come from quixel will probably be a new advertisement with couple of 4k renders using megascans to tease users, new open beta date most likely be delayed, couple of new feature announcements for ddo or another release of ddo with more bugs. But this is just beta, i can't even imagine when they will "give a date" for full release.
  • David1983
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thats my point, there is no support, nothing. They put Eric here on the forum which has to handle all the problems which are bascially just linked to the bad or unfinished software development of the quixel suite.

Allegorithmic is just a perfect and i mean a really perfect example of how companys should do it. Very good and strong software and it is exactly like you wrote, people are using they're forum to talk about art, to show art, to gives tips each other, to share nodes etc....
    If you have a problem you get instantly help and i'm talking here not about software problems, cause they are like no problmes with the allegorithmic software. Allegorithmic is the exact 100% oposite of quixel.

And i'm also not talking about megascans just about they're main software. Megascans is dead for me. Simply becasue it will be for sure highly overpriced.
  • Rikk The Gaijin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rikk The Gaijin polycounter lvl 6
    Aaaaaaaaand of course. Clap clap.
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    Let's be easy on Quixel here. Seems like somebody close died, I'm sure everything else will take a backseat for a while.
  • David1983
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If this happend i'm of course sorry for them. I don't want to sound harshly or brazan but i simply don't believe them anymore or lets say anything they say or write.
  • endeffect
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ofc everyone will be sorry about that, but i'm just saying this is not the first. It's not just about megascans too. I'm asking why they didn't release new quixel suite version after it's announced 5 months ago with "soon" attached. Reasons are different with this. It's just about Quixel, they are not a new company anymore, they sell their software, earn money and they should hire new people if they can't take the pressure of this delays but they just choose to ignore.
  • loggie24
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    loggie24 polycounter lvl 3
    Eric, you didn't have to even mention it, we all knew it was being delayed anyways.

Quite a reputation you guys are getting. It doesn't help saying you are working your hearts out anymore when you have said this so many times.

This is just like the story of the kid guarding the sheep from the wolf, he gives out so many false alarms to the sheep herders in the end THEY DON'T CARE
  • endeffect
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • loggie24
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I know right? lol, they are already loosing big time to substance, this won't help. 1.9 better be worth the wait.

I'm not worried about megascans, as it will probably be a kick ass service. I'm getting worried about the Suite itself.
  • VicToMeyeZR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well at least they told use 4 days early... :/
  • HowlYeYe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol why don't they just release what they have to keep their user-base happy? I'm sure the extra 50 million textures they want to have before the release can wait, while still pleasing the people who have stuck around with at least something!

Speaking about megascans in particular, here.
  • EoinOBroin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EoinOBroin polycounter lvl 3
    :( Genuinely was really looking forward to the 30th.

However, hope everything is good at Quixel and I look forward to the release whenever it is!
  • EoinOBroin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EoinOBroin polycounter lvl 3
    David1983 wrote: »
    Thats my point, there is no support, nothing. They put Eric here on the forum which has to handle all the problems which are bascially just linked to the bad or unfinished software development of the quixel suite.

Allegorithmic is just a perfect and i mean a really perfect example of how companys should do it. Very good and strong software and it is exactly like you wrote, people are using they're forum to talk about art, to show art, to gives tips each other, to share nodes etc....
    If you have a problem you get instantly help and i'm talking here not about software problems, cause they are like no problmes with the allegorithmic software. Allegorithmic is the exact 100% oposite of quixel.

And i'm also not talking about megascans just about they're main software. Megascans is dead for me. Simply becasue it will be for sure highly overpriced.

I agree that Allegorithmic have got their model and software down nicely, but the results you get just don't compare with DDO in my opinion- I have used both quite extensively and while Substance is more stable, everything just looks somewhat less high end and cheap. It's like Unity vs UE4 in terms of render power! I'm gonna just wait it out until Quixel get their stuff together.
  • endeffect
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I thought they've learned somethings from their previous experience and April 30th is the last date. But wow, even though years of experience they didn't learn anything, but users learned about them. I think this is my first time saying this but "a software" would be better with Autodesk. At least they know the meaning of english word "soon".

Now i just want a stable 1.9 release or a refund.

@EoinOBroin, Yea comparing products is wrong here, we are comparing companies actually. Quixel is the worst company to me.
  • David1983
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @EoinOBroin I can't agree to that. I have also compared Quixel suite with Substnace Painter and Designer. If you know how, the results are by far better than with The Quixel Suite. You have so many more options, have a lock at some art they have posted, it's just amazing.
    I mean basically both softwares are using the same technique, you can't compare thema like engines. A grey value of whatever will always be this grey value, a rougness value of 1 will always be 1, no matter what kind of software you are using "with slighltly differences maybe". The main difference between this both softwares is that Substance is a real software packed with much more possibilities than Quixel suite. And the most important point is, it works. But this will always be a taste thing, some people like to work in quixel some in substance. I also started to work quixel but than i changed greatfuly to substance after this whole desaster.

To get back on the main topic here, like i wrote ones, i simply hate companys which take your money and than they simply leave you with a unfinished piece of software. There is no excuse for waiting 5 months without any update. They simply made money with us stupid customers and than they leave us to work on megascans to make even more money with ridicules pack prices for megascans. and yeah haha more employees ? Employees have a cost and for me quixel is a "just money" oriented comapny. More employees means less expensive cars :-) i little bit of sarcasm should be allowed i think....
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    sorry for whatever has happened but you guys should fix the suite as is it now and no one would mind taking more time for megascans.
  • Wesley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wesley polycounter lvl 13
    Wow, some people here showing some real class...
  • David1983
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aha some people here showing real class ? Maybe quixel should show some class after taking our money.
  • VicToMeyeZR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wesley wrote: »
    Wow, some people here showing some real class...

I thinks it's nothing to do with class.. I think most people here don't believe the post. Just going off history, it's one excuse after another. As someone put it, the boy that calls wolf. I am sure 99% of the people that posted, would not have, if truly it was a serious issue with someone.
  • Mant1k0re
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mant1k0re polycounter lvl 8
    Seriously, quit the flaming guys. Just move to another solution and quit complaining, especially since it seems this delay has been caused by the death of someone working in the team. I also bought the suite some time ago, it didn't make a big hole in my wallet - I waited for a while and then decided to try something new and got Substance. Maybe you should do the same, at least, they update their stuff really fast. I'll check Megascan when it's realeased, in the meantime, there's plenty to learn elsewhere.
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    I have never been so disappointed in polycount. Seriously, I'm guessing someone has had a bereavement and this is how people react? For shame. Just make art without dDo/megascans for now, they are JUST tools.
  • David1983
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes tools which are not free, tools for what we have paid for. They should at least put the buying option offline on quixel.se . I see it alreday as a kind of scam, selling a software to customers althought they know that the software is massive buggy... and the quixel facebook site supports that, comments are disabled so a lot of customers have no idea about the issues.

This is for sure a very ineresting law case.

And i'm not personaly flamming, like you wrote 100 USD are not that much at least for me but i'm simply alergian when it comes to intolerable things like here.
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just because you paid for a tool doesn't give you permission to act like a jerk, especially in a situation where there's a valid excuse for the developer not delivering on time. I don't understand why anybody would even complain about a purchase though. Did you not research the current state of the tools before entering your payment information? You should never buy anything based solely on promised claims, regardless of whatever it is you are buying and regardless of who you are buying the item from.
  • Teyon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Teyon polycounter lvl 11
    Sorry to hear that someone on staff is dealing with some negative personal issues. I hope whatever they're going through turns around. Looking forward to hearing more about Megascans!
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    Both sides have a valid argument but everyone needs to relax.
  • David1983
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @NegevPro, Don't call me a jerk cause i'm, not! i'm simply not stupid and i don't believe in everything, especially not in a company that is acting like quixel.First of all you have no idea what is going on! Or i'm wrong here? You just belief that you know or you hear something, thats all.And let's talk about the most tragical case,someone died or had anaccident. Like i wrote i'm sorry for every person who has to go through something like that. Words can't describe how bad such a time is and i know what i'm talking about casue i have lost more than one love ones.

But for me it sounds simply illogical, 4 days before the start of the beta and release of the new quixel suite "at least i hopped for a release" something happend? Even in the most worst case something really bad happend, they can't push a few buttons because of that ? This is still a company, this makes absolutly no sense. To be hornest i don't believe one word they say or write. And this is simply my opinion about this, maybe it sounds hard but after waiting 5 months to make this stupid software work, it is simply enough!

And yes after paying for this software it is my very very good right to complain about the support and the unfinished software!!!
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wasn't calling you a jerk, I was just speaking in general. It's understandable to be upset when you pay for something and its not working how it should be or it is missing something, but the lesson to learn here is to only buy something if it has what you need and works as well as you want it to at the moment of purchase. Trials exist so you can thoroughly evaluate a piece of software for your needs before having to spend a dime.

Regardless, words aren't going to change the situation with the Quixel development team, hopefully they can sort everything out soon.
  • David1983
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And this is actually the funny point, the beta worked just fine, except of a few bugs. So i thought ok cool lets support them. So i have tested the software before i bought it.

What kind of opinion should i have about quixel ? i had problems with the registration of my software, after sending them a mail i got 5 weeks later a answer. No updates since 5 month. The software is not working.

My last step was to think about seeling my license but the thread was deleted becasue quixel eula doesn't allow to seel a used license "which is absolutly not law confirm within the EU, you can't prohbit a user to sell a software license". My Mail address is coupled to my license, quixel says that they "can't" change a coupled mail address.

So were the heck is the support ? They do almost everything against they're users. And now tell me again that i'm overreacting. There is no way out of this desaster, no matter what you like to do.
  • endeffect
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The price of the software you bought is not just about codes and UI. It's for support too. If the company starts to make more buggy versions, unfilled promises, giving false dates about updates, of course you have a right to complain. But here quixel is quixel again. We should know about that before buying.

Actually i don't even care about megascans, i would just get new version of ddo they announced 5 months ago and i'll be happy if it works okay(because i want gpu baker and 3d painting, i don't want to waste time for learning another software, but if they've would say it will release after 6-8-10 months, i would spend some time on other softwares at home).

But if someone starts to complain about complainers, sorry but it's quixel's job to make their users happy, not yours. No offense to other people. I've even got some unanswered e-mails from quixel about megascans. If somebody starts to defend this company, i would really want to hear an answer for this too.
  • oskarkeo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oskarkeo polycounter lvl 10
    I feel your frustration @david1983, comms have been getting out of whack over the last few months.

That said, it sounds like someone at quixel is wishing it was merely "another excuse" right now.

"sad personal events affecting key Quixel staff"

that does not sound pleasant, so perhaps we can all put our disappointment aside for a week or so to wait and see where the land lies. This one time.

Small surprise or big surprise, i'd rather avoid turning someone's worst-week-ever into someone's beyond-worst-week-ever with negativity.

And at least developemnt hasn't gone the way of silent hill PT. there's still hope. :)
  • David1983
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wrote what i had to write, cause this is how i feel. And for the bad moments in live, we have them all. Ask quixel if they give you a free version of the quixel suite because you have a bad time or simply not the money to buy it. You will get nothing. Ask your lessor if he can live 5 months without paying him the rent for your appartment becasue you have a bad time. Wont happend, we all have to deal with bad times. But for some reason all customers have to understand that they "maybe" have a bad time.

@oskarkeo I have also a very tolerant side and thats why i'm stopping right now to complain. Just because of respect in case somehing really bad happend.

Yeah i read that also about silent hills, man i even didn't play the demo :-( cause i have no PS4 :-(
  • DireWolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Why can't the scans be released and sold the same way as Surface Mimic without having to wait for its own medium?
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    David1983 wrote: »
    Ask quixel if they give you a free version of the quixel suite because you have a bad time or simply not the money to buy it. You will get nothing.
    I know that not to be true.

Shame megascans have been delayed but I'm still keen to use it.
  • loveless
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry to hear. It's done when it's done. I can not believe people are acting like this.
  • Ingemar Lundgren
    Sorry to hear this! Best wishes to the team and i think most of the user community understands. The complaints on the forum is mostly generated by a few people. It is a delayed FREE beta release after all. Not the end of the world really...

And Quixel suite 1,8 especially with stability fixes is a stable and working sw in my opinion. Not to say it needs some fixes and i am very much looking forward to the features of 1.9.
  • loggie24
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @loveless and you can believe Quixel is acting like this? Someone lost a relative? Is that the reason things keep getting pushed back? Megascans was supposed to be out around octobre-november, in the mean time they have probably given is 3-4 dates, said "soon" a ludacrous amount of times while "teasing" us with information once every few months.

I might sound cold, but I fully understand and support the negativity in this thread because enough is enough.
  • David1983
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @loveless and Ingemar, i just have no words fot this, especially not to 1.8 is stable, jesus please have a look at the forum.
  • tungerz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tungerz polygon
    einstein_smoking.jpg
    Definition of Insanity...
    Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.
    ~ Albert Einstein
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    I sincerely hope the people complaining with vitriolic rhetoric aren't associating themselves with a company. Yes, software should be functional. Even more so if you pay for it. However, that doesn't justify outright nastiness toward software developers.

Companies providing software have an obligation to provide customer service (which Quixel obviously does) to support their tools if they're interested in maintaining a customer base. Customers have an obligation to be civil in their correspondence. There's really no justification for treating representatives of the company badly. You can disagree with the way a company handles problems without making yourself look unprofessional - and as a result, the company you work for.

If you're not employed but are posting vitriol, you might want to reconsider doing so. I've heard Polycount being described as a very casual job interview. Respect goes a long way here.
  • zephy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zephy polycounter lvl 9
    @Synaesthesia I Honestly couldn't have said it better myself.
This discussion has been closed.