Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Warm up fun (deus ex 3 scene)

Replies

• Striff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Striff polycounter lvl 18
    Looks great. What is the current lighting setup like?
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    This does things to me.

Things.. that are down there.

This is dope man. Did you build more than just the hallway?
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Nah man :( It's just the hallway. I was thinking of expanding it but at this point I'm getting a bit tired of this scene, so I wanna try and breath a bit more life into this area and then move onto the next one :)

deusexsceneudk6.jpg

So I finally got tiledshot to work properly, instead of using 4 I used 2, so it keeps most of my screen effects on there which is nice, and scaling it down takes most of the jaggies away. I still need to get a nicer angle, but it's getting there.

Also, I think I'm getting closer and closer to the style of Deus Ex 3 with more of the gold tinge, mr Arman has been my second eyes on this project so he's been a big help trying to nail this, so dank you arman, hugs and kisses!

More to come :)
  • SanderDL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SanderDL polycounter lvl 7
    When I look at the original concept, there is a reflection on the floor. It might be cool to make something like that. Also it's a bit too orange at the moment.
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    jizzed in my pants!
  • ParoXum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ParoXum polycounter lvl 9
    [praisemode] This looks so awesome. [/praisemode]
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Coming along really nice. Like I mentioned, needs some sort of background/foreground contrast.

Perhaps some bright light and fog/dust with slightly silhouetted things in the back of that corridor?
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    How do you do the reflection, did you create a reflection map from the scene, or using realtime reflections, or just used a random one?
  • willy-wilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    willy-wilson polycounter lvl 8
    I agree with the orange it was way overblown and also the reflection. I hope you don't mind a paint-over i tried to bring it back to more of what the original looked like and added a reflection.

Im not sure if this will help but what i did was

added a cooling filter to get rid of the overblown orange,
    then added back in with another photo filter this time to get some warmth back, added the reflection, then made the yellow color brighter to more of how the concept has shown. I also added a slight colored fog to the back of the hall where it changes direction.

deusexsceneudk6-1.png
  • PogoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    Yeah that paintover looks much better.

Feedback is much better than just 'oh this looks sexy!'

I still think the scene looks a little bare. Maybe add some generic clutter to make it look a little more lived in? Even if it's super futuristic sci fi clutter!
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    I think it looks finished. good job!
  • Grums
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is looking great, inspiring stuff!
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    I say add some tech like looking crates. Something just to break it up a bit.
  • maze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    great work Jason. Athough I agree with PogoP, maybe some subtle clutter like additional cabling hanging, or something that might "suggest" there is actually something going on there...
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    Cool Stuff Jason, i like it!
  • shinobix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shinobix polycounter lvl 16
    Great stuff Jason!
  • POFFINGTON
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    POFFINGTON polycounter lvl 11
    Killed is Jason, no doubt matches the concept!
  • zxcman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zxcman polycounter lvl 10
    wow! it turned out very well!
  • kinesis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So damn inspiring.
  • Ryan Smith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryan Smith polycounter lvl 11
    This is really good, i hate that yo got it done so fast. You make me look like a pothead who just sits around and plays starcraft 2 all day while taking hits out of my vaporizer, instead of getting work done on the pit... oh wait.
  • shinobix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shinobix polycounter lvl 16
    Haha, Virtuosic,
    I doubt that's true!

Can't wait to start working with you guys in January!

Again Jason, awesome job man!
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm pumped too Andrew, shits gonna be off the hookkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk!

No worries Ryan, you'll be doing some mind exploding things at ID so i'll be the one utterly failing as I try to keep up with you, haha.
  • eyo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eyo polycounter lvl 9
    Looking great Jay, I agree with the comments about a tiny bit of dressing in the area, debris/clutter but kept really subtle. Overall colour and lighting wise you seem to be walking the line between the concept and the aesthetics of the actually game (ie orange colour palette. I kinda like where it is right now, maybe just push your darks a bit darker for more contrast. Seriously great work though! I am currently filled with shame :-)
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Came out great and Virtuosic is right you crushed this thing in record time.
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hehe still not done though :) Im gonna take what you guys have said and add some things to help break up the monotony.

Oh Evan, if only you knew how many hours a day at work I stare at you secrelty as you texture away... if you only knew :P bwahha

Thanks again everyone for the awesome feedback, I really appreciate it, and as always, this stuff will never turn our nearly as good without your crits, weopweop!
  • tda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tda polycounter lvl 16
    Bad ass, thats all i've gotta say.
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    That looks awesome Jason :thumbup:

Even if I try to find something to nitpick about the only thing that bothers me a are the colours. I feel that something between willy-wilson's paintover and your last shot would work best. Perhaps you could try changing the fog colour to something cold? Still, that's your call, any way around it will look awesome.

dnd btw, I'm with Ryan here. You're like a goddamn machine :p
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Whew... do you all think this is ok to call this done? I'm getting to the point where this is wearing off on me, and that's usually when I have to get my ass in gear to finish it off before I pewp my pants.

deusexsceneudk7.jpg
  • Ryan Smith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryan Smith polycounter lvl 11
    Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Jay i don't like this scene. It's all square. It's like the whole game is on a grid, man. I think you need to expand your horizons as an artist and maybe use some bezier curves next time, because, i mean, who likes grids?

(trollface)
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    Eh, it's alright. I guess.

Also, I saved that latest image to my inspiration folder.
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You troll like the best of em Ryan, I'll miss that man :( (Thank's buddy)

Thanks Swizzle, I think I've saved most of your character work (specifically your most recent works) to my inspiration folder, I always love me a big tablespoon of swizz sauce in the morning to get me ready for the day ahead... interpret that as you like :)
  • PhilipK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PhilipK polycounter lvl 10
    This turned out really great! I wasn't a fan of that much orange/yellow first, but I think you have enough green in there to make it look balanced.
    The texture work is great, I love all the subtle stuff going on in both the diffuse and especially the spec/gloss! Kickassely done!
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 16
    this came out really great! very inspirational. good job.
  • ajr2764
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ajr2764 polycounter lvl 10
    Great job Jason. I do feel like you should have leaned towards the cooler lighting similar to the concept, still feel like its too yellow. Regardless though I'm a fan of your work.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    i agree the concept had more contrast regarding lightning and mood, right now its waay too yellow and washes out the contrast from the concept :( looks awesome anyway ^^
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    that looks ace :) agree on some more dynamic/contrast in the lighting to take it over the edge :)
  • Mistry10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mistry10 polycounter lvl 8
  • Treacharous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome, I liked looking at it from start to finish
  • Striff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Striff polycounter lvl 18
    Very very sexy!
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    Looks nice, here comes the nitpic though:

地行 doesn't actually mean anything. It's nice looking and often used Kanji, 地 can often be found in electronics and 行 is used to mean motion with other Kanji.

For Entrance, you need the simplest and probably most recognised Kanji of all: 入り口
    Most people get to know this simple set of shapes when they are tourists in Japan.
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    I love the 'empty' version of the scene! I think having a pulled up floor panel and trailing wire is eye rollingly common in every science fiction environment ever, and sticking it in the centre with no other props makes it look like focus of the piece.

Your environment is beautiful, let it stand on its own legs! :)
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    you should render the scene twice, in my opinion.

once like this, and then again with the main lights turned off, and all the secondary running lights red, as if the facility is under alert status.

could be cool :D
  • jayoplus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice job on this scene. Another little thing I think to point out is if that panel is off the ground, the light on the panel may look better off.

Nice work.
  • kinesis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is one fine addition to my inspiring game art folder folder.
  • tyl3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I kind of agree with what others are saying about the yellow washing the scene out a little, maybe try and tone it down a bit. Other than that, your modeling/bakes came out clean, and your texture work is vary niceeee! Did you try adding a bit of reflection to the floor at all to match more of the concept?

But damn, I wish I had made this, keep up the awesomeness!
  • Chimeray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I second the rest, the yellow is washing out the sceen, and I liked the colder look of the concept more in general, it also has more color variation that way.

Perhaps let it rest for a bit, then try a second lighting setup? Depends on what you're going for, I like bright colors :)

Saved to inspiration folder, really neat nonetheless. Nice 'n clean, solid work.
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey all, so reviving this thread for the last dump of art.

There was suppose to be a little article about this on the front page but I think it fell through so let me post these shots here so this isn't a complete waste.

JasonLavoie_DeusExScene_UDK_1.jpg

JasonLavoie_DeusExScene_UDK_2.jpg

JasonLavoie_DeusExScene_UDK_3.jpg

JasonLavoie_DeusExScene_UDK_4.jpg

JasonLavoie_DeusExScene_UDK_5.jpg

Soon enough I'll be doing an update to my website to post some newer stuff I've been working on (hopefully) and keep working on new stuffles :)

I know there are some crits here that you guys think should be done, I apologize for not doing them (been done this scene for awhile) but hopefully you guys know I'll be taking the crits / comments / suggestions that everyone has given me and will be taking it into future work, so thanks again all :)

Alritghy, let this thread slowly fade away hehe :poly142:

Thanks again all
  • Minos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    That looks fantastic Jason :) I love how clean the bakes turned out and how easy it is to read even smaller details and indents! Really great job.

My only crit (I know you won't be working on this anymore but still) is that every metal looks the same type of metal. There are infinite types of metals, so next time you can try to play with that. Some are more glossy, others are more matte and so on. Specular/Glossiness variation on materials that stand next to each other can really bring the scene to life!

I'm also curious about the article, do you plan to release it on your site?
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That is one thing (specifically recently) where I've been having trouble with setting up proper spec, which you are right. Alot of these materials (like the painted metal) should have come out more matte like Philip K's style, where as some of them could have be brushed metal etc. You'll have to give me a run down on proper spec sometime Thiago :)

As for the the mini article i have no idea what will happen with it. Maybe once i update / fix up the site I can post it, but it would be weird I think if its not posted else where. We'll see what'll happen.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Between Clements death and the recap your post was bumped! I can still get it up for Monday AM. At the very least it'll be in the banner rotation.