Home Contests & Challenges Archives Team Fortress 2

Team Fortress 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• Vrav
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    Zip, that's looking sharp. Love the way it hangs over his eye a bit - reveals a dark aspect of his character.

I've been messing with some TF2 stuff but don't know if it'll fly. Not a lot of alpha transparency in any of the original stuff, besides the building blueprints, that I can find. Guessing I should remake my stuff to just be chunky but have thickness.
  • Emeriastone
    Some new environment I'm playing with:
    zig_env_test_03.jpg

zig_env_test_05.jpg

rockwall001.jpg
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Looking nice Emeria. Glad you did some nice SSBumps for the displacement textures. Those rock formations would work well in a quarry themed map.
  • -Em'-
    Offline / Send Message
    -Em'- polycounter lvl 8
    Love those rock !
    Remind me a quarry map as Zipfinator said, like in a COD : http://www.bptourneys.com/server/mw2/images/loadscreen_mp_quarry.jpg, this would be a strong themed map IMO ^^
  • Captain of The Chalk Ship
    Never knew rock/stone could be so beautiful. Excellent job!
  • Jman
    I love those enviro pieces, though I think your edge highlights area little too defined (bottom two rocks in your picture of the four), that's really the only criticism I have for them.
  • selentic
    -Em'- wrote: »
    I’m working on some updates on the bulletcrops pack : adding some props and turned some others into skybox models.bulletcrops_maj_001.jpg

Pretty nice looking, the red one however could stand to use a less saturated red, the one you have clashes with the rest of the truck. Otherwise, sweet.

Also, neat rocks rexy, I'd like to see them without all the black specks though.
  • Emeriastone
    selentic wrote: »
    Also, neat rocks rexy, I'd like to see them without all the black specks though.

Thanks guys, yeah, the consensus seems to be that you either like the specks or you hate them. I'm fond of them myself. More later.
  • Dashtoronto
    aivanov wrote: »
    @nordahl154, did you miss the one page of futile tantrums over this? Wasn't that enough? Leave it alone.

No, let's continue fighting about it.
  • oobersli
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    ok, so I started to just do some blocking out and concepts for now, I'm thinking of doing an engie back pack kit. I seriously doubt valve would put this in, but i'm making it for the sake of making something pretty. So the deal with this is instead of building a sg or dispensor, you build them or activate them on your back pack. They unfold and pop out. Health, ammo and damage done by sg would have to be dramatically less. That and make the sg detection range much shorter forcing the engie to jump up in the front line. I thought it sounded cool, but it could be a horrible idea when actually used.

Anyways.... a tesla coil-like healing rod and health tank would pop out *the tank just does a 180 spin* A door opens at the bottom that would contain ammo. And a small security camera pea shooter pops out with a fancy folding arm. Think tech-marine for tf2. :)

Included early concepts of it all. the overall shape and details are just blockout for now. have to compare again against some other engie tech and see if i can incorporate more of the style into it.

engie_pack-1.jpg
  • selentic
    Thanks guys, yeah, the consensus seems to be that you either like the specks or you hate them. I'm fond of them myself. More later.

Idk I don't really hate them, I think they look pretty much alright. I'm just curious as to what it looks like without them.
    No, let's continue fighting about it.

The only people throwing tantrums are the ones who can't take someone having a different opinion then them (or argue competently), and for what it's worth, you're right, the painted paper hat looks worse than most painted hats.
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the idea of a mobile dispenser that's tied to the Engineer is cool. It would really add to the offensive Engineer. I don't think that the sentry popping out of the backpack would work well at all though. Seems like it wouldn't be worth it at all since it'd probably have to do less damage than a mini-sentry and the idea behind it (Smaller, less damage) seems too similar to the Mini-Sentry. I'd say you should just focus on making it a backpack dispenser that replaces the ability to build a dispenser that can level up.

Also you might have to tie this to a weapon since currently there's no way for the Engineer to replace certain buildings in his PDA other than with the Gunslinger. Maybe you could submit this with that PDA you made for the Polypack or build a new PDA that matches the backpack and submit it to Valve as a new PDA that replaces the stock one. There's already a slot in the loadout to change your PDA and I'm guessing they were planning to use it for a purpose like this.
  • Dashtoronto
    selentic wrote: »
    Idk I don't really hate them, I think they look pretty much alright. I'm just curious as to what it looks like without them.

The only people throwing tantrums are the ones who can't take someone having a different opinion then them (or argue competently), and for what it's worth, you're right, the painted paper hat looks worse than most painted hats.

I was only joking. But way to take me too seriously.
  • blaholtzen
    Zipfinator wrote: »
    Here's a Demoman hat I started last night and finished up today. I call it the Tartan' Tam O' Shanter.
    tamoshanter_01.jpg

Here's all the painted versions.
    tamoshanter_painting.jpg

Maybe you should add some more color on the tartan, like on the Hustler's Hallmark band.
    Or make only certain parts of the tartan printable. Some fully paintable, some partly paintable and some non-paitable
  • Rada
    started back on working on my aztec warrior headress here is what i have so far
    eagle2.png

eagle3.png

any thoughts? Im still having trouble creating eyes so any pointers would be appreciated also I wonder if i should scrap the back end for a crest of feathers though it may seem too much like the chieftans challenge.
  • Steve Schulze
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Do you have a reference image of what you're trying to make. It's tricky to give points at this point because it's not entirely evident what you're going for.
  • Rada
    kinda it's a hybrid sort off one of the main references i used is this
    EagleKnight.jpg

i dont know if i will do the lower jaw of the eagle or the crest, the main problems i have are the eyes and the "lip" i extended part of it but i dont know if i should extend the faces all the way to the circular cheek medal. Im still new to modeling so im having some difficulties making stuff especially making helmets symetrical.
  • Pumpkinking
    Hello everyone, I do quite a bit of modding on my free time and was just reading an article about TF2's manconomy, I use to play TF2 about a year, but I stopped and this is the first I'm hearing about this manconomy. Doing some googling I found this place and was hoping some of you could answer a few questions I have or direct me to a place that would have my answers.

Is their an approval process for items you model/texture/etc yourself and load up to sell them on TF2? How long does approval take and what are the limits? I mean obviously I'd imagine nudity and what not is off limits, but cursing? extremely disturbing models? Is there a list of guidelines for this?

What can you model? I've seen weapons and hats are the obvious ones, but I also saw while browsing through this someone put a rose on the spy's suit, how far can you take that sort of thing? Replacing a whole outfit etc.

I thought I'd have more to ask, but thats all I got off the top of my head now. Thanks for any help guys!
  • Vrav
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    Okay, so this is an incredibly simple accessory but I want to get it right. There are some items attached to bip_spine_2, and are exactly where I placed them - but these tools on bip_upperArm_R get rotated up and out in an annoying way.

kothharvestfinal0001.png

You can see that simply attaching it to this bone in the imported smd (from the sourcesdk files) causes it to rotate fine.

96906057.jpg

And yet, in-game is thrown out of place. Any idea why...? The pivot for these items are at 0,0,0 and my qc file is pretty barebones (no clue about most of the stuff I've seen in others').
  • Emeriastone
    Still kind of crunching things around, playing with them...

zig_env_test_07.jpg

zig_env_test_06.jpg
  • Swizzle
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    You should set up a blendmask texture to blend between the rock and dirt. It'll make the transitions on those displacements look 110% better.
  • Emeriastone
    Swizzle wrote: »
    You should set up a blendmask texture to blend between the rock and dirt. It'll make the transitions on those displacements look 110% better.

Absolutely, it's kind of boring without a blendmodulate. Which is what I'm worried about, I might need to scale the pattern down by at least half. It's so cut and dry I'm afraid the chunks would be too large and obnoxious. Only one way to find out though, more later.
  • Nzdjh
  • Emeriastone
    @Nzdjh: Nice, especially fond of the knife, I'd probably use it given the option (unless it makes me a terrible spy) just because of the way it looks. Big enough to be a dagger.

Alright so, I'm torn with the blendmodulate, The differences are negligible, but still apparent to the observant texture skeptic. The main reason is because the second base texture is the same as the first, only with the baked/ao multiply on top with some saturation added and edge highlights, in addition to the ssbump. The only difference is the addition of protruding geometry. So really the blend modulate is up in the air as far as I'm concerned. I could go either way at this point and not really care. I feel like it looks cleaner without one. Please comment on which option you enjoy more, or suggestions otherwise.

blendmodulate_demo_01.jpg
  • Baddcog
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    I think blend modulate is a good idea, but like you said above, needs 50% scale.
    Most likely those rocks would just be small broken off pieces, not large chunks. (that's what the models are for right?

You probably need small chunks of rocks models too ;)
  • Sparkwire
  • Rada
    well i did the eyes i said screw it i will go simple and just used spheres. the pupils are square though but i guess i could make the eyes jewels. still waiting on comments on whether i should add a crest of feathers or a lower jaw
    eagle4.png
  • Don Karnage
    Rada wrote: »
    well i did the eyes i said screw it i will go simple and just used spheres. the pupils are square though but i guess i could make the eyes jewels. still waiting on comments on whether i should add a crest of feathers or a lower jaw
    There's enough hats with feathers :)
  • MattQ86
  • Rada
    well i updated it rounded out the iris and modified the beak cause when o decided to bind it to the helmet blender had a knipshin and changed the beak to basic polygons eliminating any modifications i had made, it's more rounder like an eagles beak this time. what do you guys think is it the helmet ok i still dont know what to do about the lower jaw
    eagle5.png
  • Dashtoronto
    hey everyone,

i need to upload the rotating barrels of the Natascha from TF2 onto my own little project I have going. Can anyone tell me step by step how i can go about doing that?
  • aivanov
    Offline / Send Message
    aivanov polycounter lvl 5
    @Dashtoronto

Decompile the Natascha model, import it into the 3d modeling program of your choice, delete everything but the barrels.
  • Vrav
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    Regarding the previously stated issue, found a solution in creating new bones (with the right names), then rotating them how I want. /flex

... to the artwork!
  • Rada
    im going to attempt to paint my model, should i establish the base paint in blender or in paint.net
  • Baddcog
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    @Rada,
    haven't tried paint.net.. but you should try Gimp. Free and all features that photoshop has. You'll probably want to layer stuff up and it's great for that.
  • crazy-g
    paint.net is similar to gimp and has layers, filters etc., but i'd say gimp is still better for texture work

update on my medieval items for soldier
    buff flag is done except for tweaking jigglebones
    flagot.jpg

horn needs a little more work
    hornm.jpg

buff pack is just base colors
    packn.jpg
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks great Crazy-G. Are you planning to do an entire set of items or just the banner?
  • willy-wilson
    Offline / Send Message
    willy-wilson polycounter lvl 8
    crazy-g wrote: »
    both are looking good GG_ can't wait to see the medi gun finished :)

mace is done, started on banner and pack
    mace3a.jpg

mace1stperson.jpg

flagrender.jpg

the flag pole is a broken spear that's mended. i might go with a soft sack backpack instead of the wood one if I can't get it to look plausible

looks like a set to me
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah, I forgot that the mace was his.
  • GG_Underscore
    pretty much finished the flat-liner medic uber gun replacement this weekend. there are one or two minor things left and then all i have to do is make the blue version. after that - i have a bit more to do, then i will have a surprise for those who care.
    Untitled-1.jpg
  • ShakerSilver
    *sigh* Well I'm clearly out-classed here. Plus I'm extremely busy now, I don't think I'll be able to get some serious work done on my items. I think I'll take a break from modeling for now, maybe get back to it when I improve my skills. Later guys.
  • Rada
    k guess ill download gimp before i start though does anyone have any opinions on my work so far do you think my hat is tf2 acceptable, i would like to know what i need to change and what to work on, also going to figure out how where i should put the seems to unwrap the hat.
  • Elbagast
    @Rada: At the moment the eyes look rather high poly compared to the rest of the hat, and could do with a brow ridge above them since that's distinct on eagles.

@ShakerSilver: I hope we'll be seeing you back here some time. :( Get practice in when you can though, it helps a lot. It doesn't have to be related to anything in particular or even end in a finished product to help either.

@GG_Underscore: This might be one of the minor things you mentioned, but you've got some rogue black AO circles going on there where you've mirrored the UVs but not all the model components... The problem wasn't obvious in your previous pics either because you didn't post both sides... If you have enough texture space you could probably fix it by adding some simple components in those locations.

@crazy-g: I love that banner :D

Unless somebody can see some glaring fault I've missed, I'm calling this thing done:

tf2_sniper_rifle_done_by_elbagast-d39jgqr.png
    B8B420F23A33D0915ACC090C2E5F06F044143D0B

It's not totally obvious there but the reflections in the scope are working, Along with a set of LoD models. The most obvious tweak from the last shot is doing some more brushwork on the scope.

I'm going to do up a presentation sheet or two for this, partly to find out what a decent background colour for TF2 stuff is, and partly to have another go at doing presentation stuff.

The only name that's stuck with me is "The Professional Standard", though I'm open to suggestions if somebody thinks they have something better.
  • Yamo
    Looks great man, do you have any gameplay ideas for it?
  • Elbagast
    Given that the idea behind it was a rifle geared more to the Sniper's profession than his history, something that rewards better accuracy would fit. The only thing I've really wondered about is if it did less damage but be able to kill anybody regardless of health if they're headshot twice in a row. I've seen a lot of suggestions of variations of rifles with a headshot counter out there so I can only wonder if they've toyed with a mechanic like that at any point.

The thing is I usually try not to think about things like this since I have no power over it, nor any means of finding out what's actually good/fun...
  • Noors
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    very nice, good job
  • Norron
    Offline / Send Message
    Norron polycounter lvl 13
    Love how the rifle turned out. The Professional Standard has a decent ring to it as well.
  • Jman
    I'm really digging the metal though there's something off about the wood, have you tried a version with desaturated wood or even one that matches the regular rifle's color?
  • ShadowBrain
    Sparkwire wrote: »
    e2ffaaf60c0dda1be33b170b0a6e735b.png

Am I the only one interested in how he accomplished this?
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    Am I the only one interested in how he accomplished this?

I'm pretty sure that the Essential Athletic Kit or whatever that came out for Monday Night Combat created a submodel of the Scout with no feet so that the shoes in the MNC kit showed up correctly. His model just applies that submodel without the feet.