Looks like Vigil is gone.

Lets try and help those that need it.

Replies

• ScudzAlmighty
    :) really shitty. sorry to hear guys.
  • d1ver
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    All I've got is just a big fat "FUCK" :(:(:( So sorry to hear.
    I hope new opportunities won't wait to present themselves for you guys. Best of luck!
  • skylebones
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones polycounter lvl 10
    Awwwww crap. Really sad to hear that. Even with all the crazy THQ Shenanigans I hoped Vigil would come through this unscathed. Sorry to everyone affected by this. Hopefully the games industry can get it's act together and figure itself out. This is getting ridiculous.
  • crazyfool
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    no way!!!!!!!! thats terrible, best wishes to all affected
  • EVIL
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    Yeh heard about it, hope all the great guys and gals at vigil will get picked up soon! Same goes for any other studio that gets shut down with THQ's dismemberment
  • roosterMAP
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    how the hell did vigil not get bought?
  • Torch
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Noooooooooo...... sad times :(
  • nick2730
    crazy sad, i feel like this industry is dying
  • imyj
  • skankerzero
    roosterMAP wrote: »
    how the hell did vigil not get bought?

not to get into it here, but generally studios are looked at for ips and tech. Vigil's ip were bought. Outside of that, why would a publisher want to buy an external studio if they weren't developing new tech?

Development of Darksiders would be more cost effective by bringing it in house to a team they already pay for and control.
  • Orgoth02
    Offline / Send Message
    Orgoth02 polycounter lvl 9
    This is getting passed around today in the industry:

To All THQ Employees:

We now have the answers we've been seeking through our financial restructuring and
    Chapter 11 case. While much will be written, here are the facts of the bids and auction
    that occurred:

Yesterday morning, we received a competing bid for the operating business,
    along with Clearlake's offer, and numerous offers for separate assets.
    During an auction process that lasted over 22 hours, the final conclusion was
    that the separate-asset bids would net more than a single buyer for the majority
    of the company.

Shortly, we will, present the results to the U.S. Bankruptcy Court, which must
    concur with our assessment.

The proposed sales of multiple assets is as follows :

• Sega agreed to purchase Relic
    • Koch Media agreed to purchase Volition and Metro
    • Crytek agreed to purchase Homefront
    • Take 2 agreed purchase Evolve and
    • Ubisoft agreed to purchase Montreal and South Park
    • We expect these sales to close this week.

Some assets, including our publishing businesses and Vigil, along with some other
    intellectual properties are not included in the sale agreements. They will remain part of
    the Chapter 11 case. We will make every effort to find appropriate buyers, if possible.

What this means for employees

We expect that most employees of the entities included in the sale will be offered
    employment by the new owners. However, we cannot say what these owners may
    intend, and there will likely be some positions that will not be needed under the
    new ownership. You should receive notice this week or early next week if the new
    owners intend to extend employment to you. Please note that the terms of your new
    employment, including pay and benefits, may be different from the current terms of
    your employment with THQ.

If you are an employee of an entity that is not included in the sale, we regret that
    your position will end. A small number of our headquarters staff will continue to be
    employed by THQ beyond January 25 to assist with the transition. THQ has sufficient
    resources to pay these employees for work going forward, and we will be contacting
    these employees immediately to ensure their continued employment during this
    transition period. We are requesting the ability to offer certain severance pay to
    minimize disruption for employees of non-included entities as they determine the next
    steps in their careers.

We know you will have many questions about this news. We'll be meeting tomorrow
    when we return to talk through this announcement and to answer any questions you
    have. You will receive a benefits fact sheet and FAQs with answers to some questions
    that may be on your mind. Please review these materials closely.

A personal note

The work that you all have done as part of the THQ family is imaginative, creative,
    artistic and highly valued by our loyal gamers. We are proud of what we have
    accomplished despite today's outcome.

It has been our privilege to work alongside the entire THQ team. While the company
    will cease to exist, we are heartened that the majority of our studios and games will
    continue under new ownership. We were hoping that the entire company would remain
    intact, but we expect to hear good news from each of the separate entities that will be
    operating as part of new organizations.

For those THQ employees who are part of entities that are not included in the sale, we
    are confident that the talent you have displayed as part of THQ will be recognized as you
    take the next steps in your career.

Thank you all for your dedication and for sharing your talent with the THQ team. We
    wish you the best of luck and hope you will keep in touch.

Sincerely,

Brian Farrell
    Chief Executive Officer

Jason Rubin
    President
  • Autocon
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    So many amazingly talented artists over there at Vigil, its extreamly sad to see this happen. I understand its "business" and the creditors of THQ want there money back/want more return on there investment, but boy is it fucking shitty that it lead to the breakup up of THQ instead of the company staying intact. Especially since Vigil wasn't picked up :/
  • Bigjohn
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    Wait, so that doesn't really mean that Vigil is shutting down right? Just that they weren't part of these initial sell-offs?
  • skankerzero
    no, they're gone.

*edit* if by some loophole vigil was still sold, it would be in name only. no sane employee would stick around after today.
  • tottot
    Offline / Send Message
    tottot polycounter lvl 10
    This industry needs to turn it around....so sorry to those affected :(
  • nick2730
    pretty sure they are all laid off big john
  • nick2730
    tottot wrote: »
    This industry needs to turn it around....so sorry to those affected :(

seriously, im not even trying to find a job anymore its almost not worth the effort. Going to go the indie route and try our own small game. AAA dev just isnt worth it plus the companies have the business model all wrong to succeed
  • Skamberin
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
    Why wasn't Vigil picked up!?
    What the fuck is this stupid fucking Bullshit, Homefront (no offense to anyone working on it but, there are enough warshooters) get's purchased but not fucking Darksiders and Vigils insane talent?

THQ was the last company willing to publish triple A shit no one else touched, and now they're dead.
    Oh well at least we have Activision and EA controlling everything and milking things to shit, so that's great.

Hope everyone lands on their feet, fuck everything.
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
    I will miss everyone at Vigil. I LOVED the art and style of the games we made.

- BoBo
  • Jason Young
    Offline / Send Message
    Jason Young polycounter lvl 14
    Bigjohn wrote: »
    Wait, so that doesn't really mean that Vigil is shutting down right? Just that they weren't part of these initial sell-offs?

That wording is a bit confusing, but it says "If you are an employee of an entity that is not included in the sale, we regret that your position will end."

We have several openings at KingsIsle. http://www.kingsisle.com/jobs
  • skankerzero
    Skamberin wrote: »
    Why wasn't Vigil picked up!?
    What the fuck is this stupid fucking Bullshit, Homefront (no offense to anyone working on it but, there are enough warshooters) get's purchased but not fucking Darksiders and Vigils insane talent?

THQ was the last company willing to publish triple A shit no one else touched, and now they're dead.
    Oh well at least we have Activision and EA controlling everything and milking things to shit, so that's great.

Hope everyone lands on their feet, fuck everything.

Darksiders was sold.
  • nick2730
    i would LOVE to know what happens/happened to teh executives who brought THQ down, i bet they got paid a nice bonus and have a nice retirement setup
  • roosterMAP
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    at least this happened at the beggining of the year when most other companies are highering like crazy to gear up with the next gen...
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Awww man. What a fucking bummer! This makes me very sad to read.
  • Skamberin
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
    Darksiders was sold.

Vigil made/were those games, everyone saw what happened to Rare when everyone left it and it's IP's lost when they were purchased, I have no faith that IP's being handed over to brand new teams ever succeeds anymore, though I'd love to be surprised.
    Just sucks that the company consisting of people willing to try something different get's axed like that.
    roosterMAP wrote: »
    at least this happened at the beggining of the year when most other companies are highering like crazy to gear up with the next gen...

This is true.. Just, I dunno, Maybe it's because I've really been enjoying many games published by THQ lately that this just blows my mind.
  • skankerzero
    Skamberin wrote: »
    Vigil made/were those games, everyone saw what happened to Rare when everyone left it and it's IP's lost when they were purchased, I have no faith that IP's being handed over to brand new teams ever succeeds anymore, though I'd love to be surprised.
    Just sucks that the company consisting of people willing to try something different get's axed like that.

This is true.. Just, I dunno, Maybe it's because I've really been enjoying many games published by THQ lately that this just blows my mind.

Right. I was just letting you know that DS was sold.
  • dtschultz
    Offline / Send Message
    dtschultz polycounter lvl 12
    That's so sad. I hate to hear this happened. I thought for sure Vigil would be picked up. I wish you all the best.
  • daphz
    Offline / Send Message
    daphz polycounter lvl 13
    damn this is a major bummer :( best of luck to everyone
  • [HP]
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    I hope everyone affected gets a new gig asap. This is really bad news, although im pretty sure everyone saw it coming miles away.
  • Broadway
    Offline / Send Message
    Broadway polycounter lvl 9
    So not cool. I hope everyone finds new gigs fast; everything I've ever seen from Vigil employees has been totally badass!

It seems a little strange to me that no investors saw value in keeping what remained of Vigil intact, especially since the Darksiders IP was purchased. Buying the Darksiders IP while the studio that created it gets shuttered seems like buying a pro sports team and firing all the players, then expecting the same performance from an entirely new roster. Granted, Vigil had been through some layoffs and departures but I'm still confused that investors were more keen to buy an orphaned IP than to sustain the incredibly talented group of people who produced it in the first place.
  • the_Adri
    That really sucks for everyone who is/was employed by them. I know a few people who worked there as lead testers. I hope them and everyone else can find a different job and fast.

Thq Montreal studio was one the places I was going to apply to for an internship to complete my program in order to graduate.
  • Junkie_XL
    Offline / Send Message
    Junkie_XL polycounter lvl 14
    Darksiders was sold.

To who?
  • skankerzero
    Broadway wrote: »
    So not cool. I hope everyone finds new gigs fast; everything I've ever seen from Vigil employees has been totally badass!

It seems a little strange to me that no investors saw value in keeping what remained of Vigil intact, especially since the Darksiders IP was purchased. Buying the Darksiders IP while the studio that created it gets shuttered seems like buying a pro sports team and firing all the players, then expecting the same performance from an entirely new roster. Granted, Vigil had been through some layoffs and departures but I'm still confused that investors were more keen to buy an orphaned IP than to sustain the incredibly talented group of people who produced it in the first place.

It all comes down to cost of operating an external stuido. Costs to bring the ip internal are much less.
    Junkie_XL wrote: »
    To who?

from what i saw, Take2.
  • Kilkus
    Offline / Send Message
    Kilkus polycounter lvl 15
    Sad Sad news, whilst i'm glad some of the studios have found new owners, i can't believe the guys at Vigil didn't get picked up!! All the best to those affected.
  • Cheez
    Sorry to all those affected
    For what its worth, Bungie is hiring still:
    http://www.bungie.net/en-US/View/bungie/index#page=careers

Hope everyone lands on their feet
  • Rapante
    Offline / Send Message
    Rapante polygon
    Man for a hardcore fan of the Darksiders franchise this is very sad news

Fingers crossed for all affected! not much I can do, but maybe it helps:

http://www.yager.de/career/index.html
    from what i saw, Take2.

http://www.kccllc.net/documents/1213398/1213398130123000000000004.pdf if this is correct, then it was not sold.
  • ChaosEidolon
    Offline / Send Message
    ChaosEidolon polycounter lvl 17
    Wow...just like that. What a waste. Best of luck guys.

I'm so sad to see the Vigil go :(
  • KyleJensen
    Offline / Send Message
    KyleJensen polycounter lvl 12
    This is terrible news. :( Best of luck to all those affected.
  • GarageBay9
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    Wasn't it just a few weeks ago that the CEO said they had creditors backing them up and a solid plan to reorganize out of Chapter 11?

Was that all grade A bullshit, or did a bunch of damn lawyers screw it all up again?
  • disanski
    Offline / Send Message
    disanski polycounter lvl 14
    Damn :( good luck everybody.
  • ZeroCartin
    Offline / Send Message
    ZeroCartin polycounter lvl 16
    Crap, so sad :( Bobo were you working there?
  • skankerzero
    GarageBay9 wrote: »
    Wasn't it just a few weeks ago that the CEO said they had creditors backing them up and a solid plan to reorganize out of Chapter 11?

Was that all grade A bullshit, or did a bunch of damn lawyers screw it all up again?

bullshit.

always bullshit.
  • Optinium
    Offline / Send Message
    Optinium polycounter
    I do not want to live on this planet anymore...

Feel sorry for those losing their jobs, I wish you the best of luck, although you won't need it as you guys are so talented you'll have no trouble finding something :)
  • praetus
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator

I'm assuming it worked in two ways. First, it was an effort to stave off people from selling stock. If you remember THQ was going through a bunch of drama with almost getting delisted from the stock exchange. I'm going to assume this action may have staved off people from selling. Second, this allowed THQ to sell off IPs and studios on their own terms and while Vigil went under I'm under the impression that bankruptcy leads to liquidation of assets which means nobody gets out alive. That's when they sell off workstations, tech, office supplies, etc; anything to earn money back for creditors.

Regardless, it still is terrible news. I really enjoyed all the work you guys made from Vigil. It saddens me greatly to see this happen and I hope that all of you land on your feet in the days ahead. Good luck. :(
  • nazeil
    Offline / Send Message
    nazeil interpolator
    Sorry to hear this. Hope everyone at THQ lands on their feet
  • skylebones
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones polycounter lvl 10

I believe originally it was going to be sold to one financial backer for $60mil, allowing them to re-organize. But the investors got a court to stop that and allow an auction to happen. If the auction brought in more than $60mil then the company would be sold in pieces. Which is what happened.
  • ErichWK
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    At least THQ gave it their all this past year..trying to save everyone. I was really rooting for them. I am glad Evolve has a home with Take-Two. Looking forward to that game. That's interesting to see Deep Silver taking up Metro and Volition..
  • Jesse Moody
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    If anyone is interested we are hiring at Treyarch and other companies in Activision. Get in touch and I'll pass your stuff along. PM me on here or email me.
  • Frump
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    Shitty news to wake up to. Good luck to everyone who has/will lose their jobs from this.

There's a lot of job postings going around on twitter with the hashtag #THQJobs.

Studio Closures are the worst.
  • vargatom
    Damn :(

I was really hoping that we could work on some cinematics stuff for Darksiders again, with this team.

Now that Joe is gone and Vigil is closed, it will never happen... :(

Best wishes to all the great people there.