Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Topology Help please! Simple Creature Head

Hi all,

I'm trying to create a character/creature for a new project (after several years of not using Maya), and I'm stuck on topology for the head. I've stared at this for a long time and know generally where the issues are, but am honestly stumped on how to fix it.

I was hoping that I could get some assistance from some wonderful 3D gurus here.

I've included an FBX of the model as well as some screenshots. The software I'm using is Maya 2015 LT.

The main issues I can see are the loops around the forehead (it's kind of looping the wrong way), eyes and mouth. There's no mouth deformation, the only animation will be the eyes for expression.

I've studied the Polycount face topology wiki page and several different web sites, but while I know the issues, none of my tweaking has been able to work out more elegant solutions.

I'm also willing to start again from scratch if people think the head is a lost cause XD

Thank you for looking at this and hopefully offering ways to fix it!

Ledi

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k9045k00cqnrgwa/topohelp.fbx

Edit: Added concept - the galah is just one version, the idea is that the base sprite will be accessorised and retextured to adapt to different creatures.

lpBRYOP.jpg

GHquIVW.jpgOOqdZhb.jpgd9OFaJE.jpg

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Do you have a concept art for what you're eventually making?
  • Ledi
    Do you have a concept art for what you're eventually making?

Oops, guess that would help! Edited it to add the concept, or at least the galah version - the idea is that the mask/accessories/texture will change to different animals for different creatures, but the base mesh won't be edited at all.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Before you worry about topology, I would recommend you commit to blocking out all your major geometry first.
  • Ledi
    That's what I though I'd done - the mask, the feathers etc are all going to be seperate objects that don't interact with the base mesh I have there at all; but I felt I couldn't work on the mask until I've finalised the topology of the face, since it will be directly impacted by any changes made to the head geo/shape.

Here's a few other sketches, showing that while the accessories will change, the base mesh will never be modified - the tail will clip into the body like the arms do, to keep a cartoony look (kind of like Chao from Sonic Adventure)

boGEO09.jpg

I'm new to the idea of customisable meshes, and thought that the proper workflow would have been to get the base down and finalised first... is this wrong?