Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Hashtha

looking for another set of eyes to perhaps find a construction or color issue that i might have missed (or even something else entirely)hashtha_complete_by_hattonslayden-d7s3rjq.jpg

Replies

• BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    I quite like the way you paint, and the design (Though, does she have breasts? What use are they to a reptile? :poly142:). It's pretty simple and clean, and that's a good thing!

The only immediate color issue that strikes me is the breast on the left side of the image has some color leaking into it from the left arm.

But you've got some tangents that really should be cleaned up for readability.
    All my good info on what tangents are and good practice for avoiding them are on paper, but uh...
    http://wannabeanimator.tumblr.com/tagged/Tangents
    These might help a bit.

Snaketangents.png

A quick paintover, if you don't mind (with numbers for annotation):
    Snake_Paintover.png

Okay, I just went over it and got rid of the tangents + fixed some strange construction issues.

1: This bend reads very strangely; with the tangent on the inside curve of the bend, and the 90 degree angle on the outside, it feels kinda... Wrong.
    Real life cobras seem to lift their heads quite effortlessly, not put their weight on where they start the lift.
    IMG_6123-2.jpg

2: She looks like all the mass of her hips is trying to escape out of the right side of her body! Keep in mind 3D space and bring that mass back to the middle.

3: I counterbalanced the fact that the hips are a bit different now by lifting the shoulder on the right and pushing down the one on the left.

4: Altered the places where tangents were occuring. Feel free to do this in any way you see fit, of course, I didn't move them with much thought put into it.

5: Folds instead of intersections. Personal preference perhaps, because I like to convey snakes as sorta soft. Even if you choose not to do this, shorten the intersections a lot and curve them with the body (I did this to the one at the back).

Final note, I think a ground shadow underneath the mass of her tail would really help sell that she isn't just floating around in space. :)

I messed with some other things, but all and all I think they won't be necessary (though, the tail being more of a bend than a straight line towards the foreground would probably help keep it dynamic). I'd focus on fixing that 90 degree bend in the tail, then you'll be golden.

This is a good picture (don't be fooled by my habit of using 3748493938384 paragraphs to explain what I mean), I just believe you could push it a little further and do some cleanup for professionalism's sake. :poly136:
    Keep at it!
  • hattonslayden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yep that is why i post here and will work on the issues you pointed out.

on a story telling note there is a specific reason why i gave her mammary glands (BOOBS)

they serve the same function they do on humans. as she is a sapient race the children are born in an "underdeveloped" state. they are completely dependent on the mother for survival and like humans don't even have teeth yet. their digestive tracts cannot handle normal foods and so brasts were the most reasonable answer aside from 'regurgitation' (NO thanks)

also the 'feeding' act would be a bonding issue for the family unit and as i wanted Hashtha's society to be rich and complex and in my experience, SOCIAL races develop rich societies not loners.

i could just say "cuz i like boobiez" but then that sabotages all the potential story telling and environment building. most people use the beasts as a "mammal" thing instead of a "child dependance" and "early socialization for the child" story tool
  • BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Whoa.
    Dude, I was joking. I figured as much; this doesn't look like your average snake-lady so I'd actually assumed that there must be at least some thought behind it. :)

Good to know you've thought it out, though.
  • hattonslayden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero wrote: »
    Whoa.
    Dude, I was joking. I figured as much; this doesn't look like your average snake-lady so I'd actually assumed that there must be at least some thought behind it. :)

Good to know you've thought it out, though.

so sorry if i came across like i was upset. i honestly was not, i simply wanted to explain the reasons behind my design choice