Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Jam Kurodaberi - Guilty Gear

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
X³²Lapis polycounter lvl 10
Hello,

So I've lurked around polycount for a long time and I've finally decided to post some of what I'm working on. I'm still quite a newbie and have little experience in the industry.

I'm currently working on Jam Kuradoberi from the Guilty Gear series for my portfolio.

I have a very long road ahead and a lot of failures to endure through. Thank you all for taking the time to have a quick look at my thread

This is my reference image
jamreducedsize.png

So I decided to start off this piece with zspheres, usually I make my base mesh in Maya. I decided on zsphere because I see these clips of great artists doing it so I think to myself "That's what I'm doing wrong". Turns out everyone is different and what works for someone doesn't always work for the other

01.jpg

I decided to sculpt this in pose so I had no symmetry, the reason I decide to do it in pose was just practice really. Also I decided to sculpt her anatomy for practice as well even though I knew like 70% of it was covered. Man she looks like she has some kind of skin disease

03.jpg

I was thinking if I should keep it true to the drawing or do my own style. I decided to go my own way since I was already heading in that direction.

04.jpg

The topology started to work against me here so instead of going into further detailed I took it into topogun to retopo it. Look back now zspheres weren't too bad I got to knock out the pose quick.

05.jpg

I took the model into maya and made some base mesh clothes for her.

06.jpg

I Started on doing some cloth sculpts which is probably one of my biggest weakness. I stopped where I was here and decided I can(hopefully) do better

07.jpg

I finally managed to do more on the Qipao after crying for an hour or so. I think one of the big problems I had was, starting and carrying through, I would do maybe 5 - 10 minutes worth and didn't like it and start again. The cloth wasn't giving me a good feeling right off so this was quite hard for me to get to here.

Her anatomy looks a bit much but I think when I put on SSS it will tone down most of it so it may work out.

Sorry for the very long first post. As always critiques and comments are most welcome(welcomed?)

Cheers
Mat

Replies