Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

trying to make convincing debris

Didjitalus
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Didjitalus polycounter lvl 4
hi guys, i'm trying to make convinving debris like this http://www.ivassago.com/acm.html. So far everything i made didn't even come close to it. i make a plane and then i start drawing on the canvas then i grab the alpha and texture but edges are always jagged even with high subdivision. I don't see jagged edges in the example so i'm assuming the artist used another method any help would be very welcome thx in advance.

Replies

• 3dReaper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3dReaper polycounter lvl 4
    The link does not work.

• Didjitalus
  • YakZSmelk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    YakZSmelk polycounter lvl 11
    Can you show us your work so we can better understand what/where the problem is?

Right now it sounds like you don't know how or haven't set up an alpha correctly.
  • Cibo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cibo polycounter lvl 10
    Looks good but the main eyecatcher "pillars" have some collision problems and stuck together. Small rubble its okay but in greater peices it can be obvious.
  • Didjitalus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yea sure, here are some screenshots wich has diffuse and displacement , it may sound stupid but kinda have no idea how to place the rubble like do i just drop it randomly or is there something else i should think about?

Screenshot%202014-05-02%2000.05.04.png

screenshot1%20copy.jpg
  • 3dReaper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3dReaper polycounter lvl 4
    Your flats would be helpful as well.

Aside from the issues you are having, your work looks great! I like the top one quite a bit.
  • Didjitalus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you really think this looks good?, dont think i have the flats of the first one anymore

texture.jpg
    DepthGrab02%20copy.jpg
  • Sammy101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sammy101 polycounter lvl 6
    Hey whatcha know. I got this same exact guy bookmarked because he's amazing. His misc stuff is truly incredible.

http://www.ivassago.com/misc.htm
  • skodone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skodone polycounter lvl 2
    i think those "E"s are way too recognizable.. variation in form would helb them
    and they also look like placed in a certain pattern this could be more and more random
    but do actually like the rest.. just this interception of 2 bricks top right seems
    kind hard to achieve in rl :D
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There seems to be a large empty section in the final image; the debris really looks to be framing the empty area, and the frame is rectangular.

The cinder blocks look to be rotated only from 0-90 degrees; I'd expect a more uniform distribution.

Placement really depends upon the nature of the rubble. If a wall is knocked over, then it will still appear like a wall, with a few outliers. If a building explodes, then everything will be arranged in concentric rings, with heavier pieces towards the center and lighter pieces thrown much further out.

The textures feel rather monochrome, as though almost everything is made from cement. I'd expect brownish dirt or dust, the odd bit of colorful paper, and the occasional hardy plant poking through.
  • YakZSmelk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    YakZSmelk polycounter lvl 11
    "yea sure, here are some screenshots wich has diffuse and displacement , it may sound stupid but kinda have no idea how to place the rubble like do i just drop it randomly or is there something else i should think about? "
    You could simulate it, or you can just place them. What you'll want to think about is frequency, have a good variety of small, med, large (etc.) debris and avoid creating patterns. Also keep in mind the way the debris would fall(don't over think it!), but it's always good to think about what happened to create environment piece you are creating. Was this debris created from a fight between Hulk and Thor or was it some leftover bricks from a repair job that got tipped over?

And speaking of frequency, right now you're red bricks are far too small compared to the (concrete?) chunks.

As for the edges, are you using an alpha? You'll want to change the opacity along the edge.