Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Diner+Kitchen Interior (UDK)

Just 'finished' this environment for a class. It's my first UDK enviro, so any crit would be deeply appreciated. :)

Tools: Maya, Photoshop, xNormal

I'm picking up Zbrush and nDo2 over the summer.

Flythrough: http://youtu.be/n-3OJqV3H30

01.jpg
02.jpg
03.jpg04.jpg08.jpg07.jpg

Replies

• maverickhornet
    Offline / Send Message
    maverickhornet polycounter lvl 9
  • JustinSlick
    Offline / Send Message
    JustinSlick polycounter lvl 6
    This is really nice. Haha, I have to admit I think I felt some slight motion sickness during the flythrough, but I really dig this. I'm jealous of that floor tile.
  • Shrike
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Looks really great , first shot is lovely

The grunge on the kitchen interior and the doors looks too similar and a little over the top
  • cdavidson
    Offline / Send Message
    cdavidson polycounter lvl 8
    looks cool.
    Kitchen looks a bit too dirty and not keen on the floor, not sure a building would run that same floor tile through the entire building.
  • Doom
    Thanks guys :)
    Shrike wrote: »
    Looks really great , first shot is lovely

The grunge on the kitchen interior and the doors looks too similar and a little over the top

What do you mean? Could you elaborate?
    cdavidson wrote:
    looks cool.
    Kitchen looks a bit too dirty and not keen on the floor, not sure a building would run that same floor tile through the entire building.

I'll mess around with the floor and grunge a bit. How do you guys usually go about separating a coplanar floor with BSP?

A senior mentioned something about the flythrough, so I've made another one with just slow pans. Better? http://youtu.be/GbGeqZiyKxM
  • DWalker
    The floor tile pattern is very distracting and tends to draw the eye away from more important elements in the scene.
  • JustinSlick
    Offline / Send Message
    JustinSlick polycounter lvl 6
    DWalker wrote: »
    The floor tile pattern is very distracting and tends to draw the eye away from more important elements in the scene.

Man, I guess that shows how much I know :). I really liked the floor, but I guess that just reinforces your criticism. I was immediately drawn to it.

@Doom - I like the new flythrough better. The camera motion isn't as distracting.
  • walkonsky
    Offline / Send Message
    walkonsky polycounter lvl 11
    i really like the tile floor. the pattern might be debatable, but the material is great. could you show your maps for that and maybe even a breakdown of your workflow?
  • refriedspinach
    Offline / Send Message
    refriedspinach polycounter lvl 3
    the new fly through is much better! you dont always have to have one camera to show off the scene, its nice to brake it up, it sorta gives the viewers eyes a short brake in a sense. also, potential employers might get bored watching it because it might take a while for the camera to get to the next area(like going into the kitchen).

your new cameras show it off way better and keeps the viewer interested, awesome!

i actually kind of like the zigzag flooring in the front area, as most diners just have black/white checkered floors.

but as for the kitchen area i would maybe see about changing it, that room has a heavier load to the eyes because its well lit and there's lots of stuff back there.

you don't want the viewer to be too distracted from all the work you put into it.

i really like where this is at now and cant wait to see more!

p.s. better add some glass ketchup bottles ;)
  • pixelpatron
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter
    8906450037_4e8dd970a4_o.jpg

I'd like to see the overall lighting be tweaked and really force yourself to make the areas above the lights seem darker than they are currently. I see a lot of scenes with blown out ceilings and there is usually not that much bounce light to illuminate it to that degree.

I'd also bump your ambient for your main area, it's too dark overall. I like the mood, but it's too dark.

The metal panels in the kitchen are not reading as metal, work on your spec.

Don't forget the details! Trims and painted on shadows in your diffuse will do wonders.
  • m4dcow
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    Aesthetically looks decent, but the style of bulb in the kitchen, is fluorescent and should be way cooler that how you have it atm. The outer area I think could use a jukebox of some sort, and a general grime pass like u did to the kitchen.
  • I Like Feet
    dang son, I just saw this piece in class 2 days ago. weird seeing this here. great work
  • Doom
    Wow, thanks for all the wonderful feedback! I've made some of the changes suggested:

Brighter ambient for the dining room. Better or worse? I think it's a little too bright now... Floor tile kept for now, but I'll play around with some more textures later.

2013-06-01_18-58-11.jpg

Base paint and floor tile for the kitchen added. Trim and shadows will come later, it took me longer to change the UVs around for some of these meshes and re-write bits of the material than I expected. I also tried to tweak the lighting in the kitchen a little and tweaked the ceiling material a little to try to get it darker, but I can still make it darker I think. Maybe use some wide spotlights instead of pointlights.

2013-06-01_18-58-38.jpg

Also, the metal material has been adjusted a little, but the specular highlight just doesn't show up in the previous angle:

2013-06-01_19-09-28.jpg

Haven't adjusted most of the grunge yet either, but it's all vertex painting anyway so I'll tweak that after getting the lighting and trim right.
    walkonsky wrote: »
    i really like the tile floor. the pattern might be debatable, but the material is great. could you show your maps for that and maybe even a breakdown of your workflow?

Maps: floor01_maps.jpg

Workflow:
    1. make diffuse tilable (adjust with adjustment layers as necessary)
    2. heightmap generation:
    a. smart blur or surface blur on diffuse to get rid of tiny little bumps to make normal map more readable
    b. blow out contrast with levels or curves
    c. desaturate
    e. duplicate entire heightmap, set to screen and slide down to get rid of dark checkers, adjust as necessary
    3. run through xnormal or nvidia texture tools filters to convert heightmap to normal
    4. spec generation: increase contrast on diffuse with curves / levels, hue/shift 50% across hue strip for dielectrics
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    The spec on the tile floor should not look like that, black and white tile are just as reflective and reflect the same ammount of light at around the same intensity. The spec should be very light on both tiles, and only dark where there is cracks, dirt, and the gaps between titles.
  • DWalker
    The kitchen tiles are an improvement, but should probably not be that glossy given how dirty the rest of the kitchen is.
  • Doom
    ZacD wrote: »
    The spec on the tile floor should not look like that, black and white tile are just as reflective and reflect the same ammount of light at around the same intensity. The spec should be very light on both tiles, and only dark where there is cracks, dirt, and the gaps between titles.

Didn't realize that, thanks! I've updated the specmap but decided to swap out the tiles anyway. What do you guys think of the new tiles?

Highres_Screenshot_602_00003.jpg

Also, decreased the gloss on the tiles (thanks for the tip), tweaked the lighting some more, and added trim and color grading. Think the lighting could be better?

Highres_Screenshot_602_00005.jpg
    Highres_Screenshot_602_00006.jpg
  • Minos
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    Looks really nice but waaaaay too grungy for a kitchen/restaurant! I think a few hints of bad hygiene is cool (some random splatters, rotten food here and there, etc...) is cool, but right now it looks like the kitchen has been abandoned for 20 years :P

Use grunge to tell a story, not to add "visual interest" to a scene!
  • CharlesHoffie
    You have kept every minute things in mind while designing it. I loved it. Also I feel that some suggestions given above are very true like the floor pattern.