Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Default WIP Realistic Nordic face Critique please!

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
deohboeh polycounter lvl 5
UPDATE!!!!1:

Real-time Hair Finished

C&C Mandatory! ;D

YTGqOId.png

Original Post:
I am self learning and trying to sculpt a realistic scandinavian male face and this is my first face... Please critique... I am at a place I have seen it for too long and I know there is something wrong but I cant tell.. :/
I am aiming for Last of Us like quality so please be harsh.
I know the pores are unfinished but the overall forms are really getting to me..
QhEM5Zy.jpg

EDIT:
Some really big images were removed I have moved quite far anyway..

Replies

• almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    well the first thing you need is a nordic male reference.
  • Mithdia
    Offline / Send Message
    Mithdia polycounter lvl 8
    Your references aren't really that good. Might want to use faces of scandinavians as reference instead of Mel Gibson (american) and Mads Mikkelsen (danish). Although Mads Mikkelsen is your best ref from those his face is hardly what I'd call typical looking face for scandinavian (I'm from Finland myself.). Instead here's the average swedish guy and average finnish guy according to http://pmsol3.wordpress.com/2011/04/07/world-of-averages-europeave/. Also interesting read http://www.theapricity.com/earlson/reeh/reoehchap2a.htm from the book "THE RACIAL ELEMENTS OF EUROPEAN HISTORY" by Hans F. K. Günther. Might want to read that with some caution though considering it was written by a german in 1920s so there might be some racist undertones.
  • sltrOlsson
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    You got one right! Mads us in fact Scandinavian! You should really pin down what you want to do here, what features you do like in your refs (I'm talking about the new references you should get btw).

Is this guy a brute from 1000 years ago or is he alive right now?
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Mel Gibson is australian, Mithdia hahaha.
  • Mithdia
    Offline / Send Message
    Mithdia polycounter lvl 8
    Mel Gibson is australian, Mithdia hahaha.

"Mel Colm-Cille Gerard Gibson AO (born January 3, 1956) is an American actor, film director, producer and screenwriter. He was born in Peekskill, New York, moved with his parents to Sydney, Australia"
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    he's like, the most 'strayan sounding guy ever =[
  • Tobbo
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    Where Mel Gibson grew up or where he's living today has nothing to do with what bloodline his features come from.

"His paternal grandmother was opera contralto Eva Mylott (1875–1920), who was born in Australia, to Irish parents,[6] while his paternal grandfather had English, Irish, Scottish, and Welsh ancestry."

Mel Gibson has English, Irish, Scottish and Welsh blood. None of those are Nordic.
  • deohboeh
    Offline / Send Message
    well the first thing you need is a nordic male reference.
    Mithdia wrote: »
    Your references aren't really that good. Might want to use faces of scandinavians as reference instead of Mel Gibson (american) and Mads Mikkelsen (danish). Although Mads Mikkelsen is your best ref from those his face is hardly what I'd call typical looking face for scandinavian (I'm from Finland myself.). Instead here's the average swedish guy and average finnish guy according to http://pmsol3.wordpress.com/2011/04/07/world-of-averages-europeave/. Also interesting read http://www.theapricity.com/earlson/reeh/reoehchap2a.htm from the book "THE RACIAL ELEMENTS OF EUROPEAN HISTORY" by Hans F. K. Günther. .
    sltrOlsson wrote: »
    You should really pin down what you want to do here, what features you do like in your refs (I'm talking about the new references you should get btw).
    Is this guy a brute from 1000 years ago or is he alive right now?

Thanks Gir, Mithdia and Olsson, I am changing my references…. The previous one was more of a moldboard of how I wanted the character to look like… None the less this is a break up of what I wanted from them

Takes too long to load so removed it.

This guy is supposed to be a rough half brute half playful rogue sort of person in his early 30s and yes thousand years ago…

Thor_God_of_Thunder_Vol_1_1_and_2_Textless.jpg
    I like the young Thor (above) but I can’t understand what his deciding features are… :/
  • deohboeh
    Offline / Send Message
  • deohboeh
    Offline / Send Message
    come on tell me why you dont like it and why!
    I still cant wrap my head around the lips and cheeks... :/
  • deohboeh
    Offline / Send Message
    dCTy2FV.jpg
    Which of these is natural european pale skin colour?
  • Vailias
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    1,3,5,6 are all in range for light skinned folks. Depends on the individual really. 1 and 3 are rather ruddy, but not unimaginable, especially if its cold and or he's exerting himself. Also why the pink abs?

Also if you want more real life Nordic muscled reference google any of following:
    Svend Karlsen, Torbjörn Samuelsson, Magnus Samuelsson, Espen Aune, Lars Rørbakken, Arild Haugen, Richard Skog

All from Norway and Sweden. All ridiculously strong humans.
  • M4rt3
    Offline / Send Message
    M4rt3 polycounter lvl 5
    you can also check some scandinavian metal bands such as amon amarth and korpiklaani if u need refs for hair and beards :)
  • Megacorpse
    Offline / Send Message
    Megacorpse polycounter lvl 8
    Also look up Kristofer Hivju (Tormund Giantsbane in GoT) :

hivju2.jpg
  • deohboeh
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Guys sorry for the late reply. I was going to put more shots of him but didn't want to show anything that wasn't fully finished. Since I am trying to make a cinematic I am having to learn topology too. So I will post more shots when he is baked. Also I have been working on his axe and other stuff.

bfBLOC6.jpg
    Vailias wrote: »
    Also why the pink abs?
    Thank you for noticing! I went through a lot of refs that had pink abs. Maybe they were exercising it a lot or it generally darker. I felt it was a good idea then I have made that duller since.
    M4rt3 wrote: »
    you can also check some scandinavian metal bands such as amon amarth and korpiklaani if u need refs for hair and beards :)

Thank you for the reply! I did ref them for the hair and beards. They look glorious!
    Megacorpse wrote: »
    Also look up Kristofer Hivju (Tormund Giantsbane in GoT)

Thank you! I have checked him. He's now on my scandinavian badasses folder! :D
  • deohboeh
    Offline / Send Message
    Which one is better?
    Q876Sdd.jpg

Does this look good to you? I tried to keep the ugly loops away from the shoulder but don't know if it is good topology. Do you think it will be a problem rigging and skinning?

VVIQUZq.jpg

EDIT: Heck I'll add the shoulder blades too!

TOWs5Em.jpg
  • Steve Schulze
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    I wouldn't weld the arm band onto the arm. You'd be better off leaving it a floating object or even just normal mapping it into the texture given its entirely flush with the skin
  • deohboeh
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the reply Stephen! I think I will go with making it a floating object. I really want to get the silhouette to show... :)
    What do you think about the hip which one looks better?
  • deohboeh
    Offline / Send Message
    I have been retopologizing for the last few days. It's getting hard to understand what is good and what is not.
    More specifically I made a retopo of the torso which is giving me a lot of trouble. I retopo-ed it my way then I saw CG Cookie's topology tutorial and tried to retopology it their way. I made some changes to the poly-density and the shoulder blade area. He'll be animated and I think it's important he has loops there... I am now really really confused as to which to actually follow... I wanted to post baked character but I am going to post this anyway as a retopology update.

I gave him a name Vali. He is a Viking. Funnily Vali means strong and powerful in both norse and in many indian dialects so it seems apt. His age is set at 20 -35. Not old enough for too many wrinkles and not young enough for an absence of them either. I tried to be as close to an authentic viking while still giving him a barbaric look. He's from the ~10th Century.. Though I am sure some items might have styles from other centuries. This is not apparent in this current update but I will be able to show more with the bakes...

3pdER1V.jpg
    ^This is Vali. I drew his beard in for a more final look.

hDiU1Xm.jpg
    ^This is the highpoly sculpt. Started in August last year learning to make base mesh. Took me a few months to learn anatomy and stuff. Finished him around April end.

vjT7Z9B.jpg
    ^This is the Topo I did. I haven't done any deformable topology before so a lot of this is guess work and looking at others.

3vf52zq.jpg
    ^This is the Topo I did looking at CGCookie's Torso Topology. I made some changes to the poly-density and the shoulder blade area. The neck area will be attached to the head later that's why there is a mess there.

topology_overview_torso_ss01-640x333.jpg
    ^This is CGCookie's torso Topology.

What I want to know is:

1. Considering my highpoly do I need to have shoulder blade loops?

2. Which one of these actually looks good to you? I haven't animated anything with deformations before (at least not with any particular stress on it all) and I don't want that after all this when animating I should have any problems..

3. What do you think about Vali? From design to proportion wise is there anything wrong with him or you wish could be done better... I would love to hear your opinions, crits and comments. :)

Edit: Oops uploaded the same image twice! >_<'
  • deohboeh
    Offline / Send Message
    A little C&C would be greatly appreciated! :)
  • deohboeh
    Offline / Send Message
    Pv3vJ3r.jpg

Fibermesh WIP

I thought I would make hair from planes but I think I will bake the fibermesh. I had to do the hair all over again because the last looked crap. :\
  • deohboeh
    Offline / Send Message
    obVhKR1.png

Working on game hair
  • deohboeh
    Offline / Send Message
    Real-time Hair Finished

C&C Mandatory! ;D

YTGqOId.png
  • skodone