Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Hand Painted Textures - WIP

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
merwynl polycounter lvl 8
Hi all,

i'm working on some hand painted textures, starting with some wood. It's still a work in progress but I was wondering if I could get some feedback on what I have so far. By all means, destroy this piece.

wood_01_zps2140b1fb.jpg

thanks!
merwyn

Replies

• Deathstick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    I'm curious as to why it's blue, is it supposed to be painted wood? If it is I'd recommend looking at some real life references of painted wood, you'd have some parts faded away from the sun and possibly see chips in the paint showing the unpainted wood beneath it depending on how clean versus old you want to go.

Some of those wooden planks, especially in the bottom half of the texture, are way too short in length. That type of shortness is going to read more as a stone pattern to the quick glance rather than wood planks. Especially when coupled with the blue paint.

Currently the texture is very monotone in color, and it would better serve you to mix in a few different colors and shades of hue change to make it more visually interesting. A slight 2-5% change in value on each individual plank could help create visual interest at a distance since not all wood is the same, but this may not be the way to go if the wood is indeed supposed to have been painted over.

Those lines in between the planks seem a few pixels too wide, and that dark a value might look problematic in a lit environment. I'd recommend bumping up the dark lines around 10-15% in value.

Hope that wasn't harsh, you said to destroy this piece :)
    With that said, keep going and push it further! Hope that helps somewhat/my 10 cents.
  • merwynl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brilliant! Thanks for the feedback! Much appreciated. Yes it is meant to be painted wood. It's on a color adjustment layer though because I wasn't sure whether or not I wanted to keep it.

Here's what it looks like without the adjustment layer. Will post an update soon.

wood_02_zpse94cfa6e.jpg
  • skodone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skodone polycounter lvl 2
    also with the big gaps between the planks it looks more like a brick wall than wooden planks. agree on the size and length of the lower ones. and why are they getting thinner at the bottom shouldnt they be averagely same wifth? i would also define the edges more and as deathstick said add more color variation.
  • Danwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm curious as to the perspective of the texture, how do you intend to use this?
  • merwynl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Dan, it's mainly to practice hand painted texturing but I think it could possibly work as some sort of slanted wooden roof perhaps?

Thanks for the feedback guys! Here's where I'm at with it now. Still needs a bit more work.

wood_03_zps5e4750c2.jpg
  • merwynl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pushed the highlights a bit more and darkened the crevices a little. the sides look a bit blurred though for some reason.

wood_03_zps6f8e8e7e.jpg
  • KyleJensen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KyleJensen polycounter lvl 12
    Watch the angle in which the wood planks are painted. They're looking a bit like stairs/steps to me. Have you tested to see what this texture looks like on a plane in 3D?
  • skodone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skodone polycounter lvl 2
    kyle is right i would paint them top down
    but looking far better now! nicely defined and
    much more wooden!
  • merwynl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks heaps guys! i started another one but i kept the other aside. here's the texture and what it looks like tiled. any advice on how i can make it look less repeaty?

wood_02_zps8317323c.jpg

wood_zps95f6e6e5.jpg
  • Megacorpse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Megacorpse polycounter lvl 8
    That's a nice improvement. If you want to avoid obvious repetition like in your tiling test, you could make a 1024x512 tiling texture or so, and also discard the knots and focus on long grooves all across the texture.