Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

AK-74M and adventures in dynamesh

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
The Lone Penguin polycounter lvl 9
I wanted to do some experimenting with getting zbrush more integrated with my current pipeline of hard surface assets. To ease into it I chose a relatively simple gun with a few intricate details to use in zbrush. Ended up with the AK-74M. Began the whole process the usual way by blocking it out in Maya. Block-in took roughly 3 (work) days. Once block-in was complete I started on the high poly with doing the more basic details in Maya the usual way then sent some of the more complex details into zbrush to use dynamesh subtract/add. High poly took about a day and a half.

Some negatives to this pipeline are that it can be super destructive if you're not being careful. It was also a bit a tricky to think in terms of subtraction on some of the parts at first, took a little coming around to.

Also a few of the parts ended up with much tighter edges then I wanted after sending to zbrush. A super easy fix I just wasn't paying close enough attention at the time, will need to go back and smooth them out a bit. All in all was pretty happy with the results of the high poly within the time frame. Still to come is low poly, baking, texturing. 100% accuracy was not the goal, just a usable, convincing high poly for baking a game ready mesh from, however crit is much welcomed! Especially if you see something that's glaringly not part of the 74M or is in fact missing.

ak74high01.jpg
ak74high02.jpg

Update 10-31-2014

eiiiTgq.jpg
zUfnKfY.jpg

Replies