Home Dota 2

Dota 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• kite212
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212 polycounter lvl 15
    Konras wrote: »
    Ok LOD0 models ready. I wanted to preview them with 256px texture sizes just to see if there will be something more than one big blob of pixels :D Belt part is a little blurry, however it should be fine for character size on the screen during ingame/menu pose so I am pretty happy with the result. Now just to rig this up :) Of course textures are passed now to Madzia :D

ps. We have changed her hairstyle a bit, because this previous one had less Chinese style in our opinion, hope this one is better :)

*starts slow clap* looking amazing! can't wait to see this completed
  • Hudston
    Offline / Send Message
    Hudston polycounter lvl 10
    motenai wrote: »
    I finally finished these 2 swords for Ember Spirit. Go check'em both ;)
    The concept was made by Hawf

8C8qnqp.jpg

5c0jAe3.jpg

Dat texturing. I'll be over here watching your youtube videos again. D:
  • Shock
    Offline / Send Message
    Shock polycounter lvl 5
    i was just watching the texturing video of that ember spirit sword, and i saw he took the blue channel from bent normal - i normaly take the green channel of bn, now i wondered what the blue channel does and whats the difference after all?

greez
  • AndrewHelenek
    Offline / Send Message
    AndrewHelenek polycounter lvl 6
    @motenai whoa it's impressive how you do all these details and they don't loose quality in game! kudos~ :)

---

Some early sketch of a deathward for a upcoming witch doctor set:

PBB1K6d.png

The old one doesnt work, so this time we will just make the frog play the beat, instead spitting ultimate. Any advices?

I like the new design!
  • Konras
    Offline / Send Message
    Konras polycounter lvl 12
    @Shock Maybe this video from BoBo will be interesting for you. At the end of it (after 2h mark I think, can check it now because of slow internet connection :/ ) there cool process of creating base texture from normal/ao/directional light shown. Plus there are superb tips for sculpting in general, so video is worth watching anyway :D

http://www.livestream.com/vigilnights/video?clipId=pla_69d386b0-0c57-444a-a1e5-4c820a55e9d2
  • heboltz3
    Offline / Send Message
    heboltz3 polycounter lvl 9
    I walk away for one day and the waywo thread explodes with awesomeness.. jeeze some motivation to keep working..

The swords by Motenai and MdK are too sick. Fantastically sculpted.

Konras, that bake is ridiculous. clean a pretty! wowie! Any word of advice about the process? Picking your brain about the bakes is almost as much fun as reading the tut on your sculpting :)

Keep up the awesome stuff guys :)
  • MdK
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    Konras wrote: »
    @Shock Maybe this video from BoBo will be interesting for you. At the end of it (after 2h mark I think, can check it now because of slow internet connection :/ ) there cool process of creating base texture from normal/ao/directional light shown. Plus there are superb tips for sculpting in general, so video is worth watching anyway :D

http://www.livestream.com/vigilnights/video?clipId=pla_69d386b0-0c57-444a-a1e5-4c820a55e9d2

Amazing video, I think I will spend a couple of hours watching that tomorrow! Thank you for the kind words heboltz and kite.
  • AndrewHelenek
    Offline / Send Message
    AndrewHelenek polycounter lvl 6
    Totally random, but where's that TI3 chest? I know TI2 just ended, but after seeing the concepts there, I kinda want to get my hands on some of those items, especially that courier!
  • Frump
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    WIP of a Naga Sword with Ike. I'm going to exaggerate the proportions some more before I retopo.

v5gVjVu.png?1
  • TrevorJ
    Offline / Send Message
    TrevorJ polycounter lvl 9
    Awesome stuff in here lately, cant wait for these Chinese new year event items.

Finally finished my Pugna set, just made a collection, give it a look and vote if you can, thanks! Still open for feedback as well, it's never too late to change things.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=209873461

YJNNrK9.jpg

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpS8MzWFHAs"]Nethers Reach Pugna Item Set - YouTube[/ame]
  • Hudston
    Offline / Send Message
    ZBrush question:

I'm working on the hat for an Ember Spirit set based on this concept by Mango:
    pq8xvmz.png

My question is if there is a way to activate both symmetry and radial symmetry at the same time. The hat has a mirrored design that is repeated four times around the hat and I can't think of a way to sculpt this so that it's even.

Workshop gurus! Halp!

EDIT: I think I'm just going to sculpt one of the segments separately and then duplicate it and try to weld it back together again. There must be a better way to do it though... thoughts?
  • marul
    Offline / Send Message
    marul polycounter lvl 7
    I don't know when this happened but dota store shows the creators properly now :)

ea3b.jpg
  • Bernoully
    Offline / Send Message
    Bernoully polycounter lvl 4
    Hey guys, I'm looking for a modeller for this Xin set. Designed for both Year of the Horse and non-event (since Xin is Chinese-based anyway):
    wURcVUR.jpg
  • motenai
    Offline / Send Message
    motenai polycounter lvl 18
    Shock wrote: »
    i was just watching the texturing video of that ember spirit sword, and i saw he took the blue channel from bent normal - i normaly take the green channel of bn, now i wondered what the blue channel does and whats the difference after all?

greez

I'm using the blue channel cause i baked the bent normal with 3d studio max...3dsmax uses a different coordination system where the vertical axis is Z and not Y, so in the end the vertical light information goes into the blue channel and not the green.
  • Konras
    Offline / Send Message
    Konras polycounter lvl 12
    @heboltz3 Thanks you. I am not an expert, however maybe that will be any of help :)
    gCuzFqD.png
    1. Sometimes I will fix my hipoly to match closer to low poly. Hipoly on the right side will force me to add one more loop to low poly to go deeper below the top layer of dress. However poly limit was tight, so insead I decided to make top layer of dress thicker do match low poly that I already have made. Without it bake was really goofy because it was grabbing areas that were between top and bottom layers of dress.
    2. This part is fine example. It has goofy shape, it has fairly low polygons, but from the distance its even better readable than hipoly :)
    3. Before I retopo often I tend to flat unnecessary detail that could distract me from overall shape. If hipoly is to noisy its easier to make low poly based on smooth mesh. It works at least for me :D

@Hudston Maybe you can go for both X and Z symmetry at the beginning. Later you can switch to radial symmetry for sculpting some detail that will be away from the symmetry planes. If something will go wrong you can always go for "tools"->"geometry"->"modify geometry->"mirror and weld"(i hope it is there, I don't have zbrush on right now, will need to check it later to be sure), and that will fix the symmetry for you on any axis. Also if you want to go for radial symmetry its also possible to rotate you low poly 4 times by 90 degrees rather than mirroring it by x and z axis. Sometimes when I want to have for example leather strip twisted like a spring on blades handle I go for radial symmetry and later just rotate my low poly instead of mirroring it.

@marul This is so weird, for me sometimes it works, sometimes it don't. However I would mostly by happy if that list would be alphabetical :D Minus of that would be that some people would change their names to aaaaa_name to be on top of that list for sure :D
  • Kraken
    Offline / Send Message
    Kraken interpolator
    Thanks for comments friends.
    @motenai awesome work as always!
  • Hudston
    Offline / Send Message
    I figured it out. Lots of rotating and liberal use of Mirror and Weld did the trick!

Thanks for the advice! :)
    LMUu3ba.jpg
  • Tyn
    Offline / Send Message
    Tyn polycounter lvl 10
    Finally got round to redoing my lycan concept. I took some more time to flesh it out. Crits are always welcome. I'm actually pretty happy with the way he turned out. Guess this is what i'll be spending my free time on in 2014 :)

I kind of missed the whole spring event boat. With the time I need/have to make things it's a little unrealistic to jump on now. Love what everyone is doing with the theme though!

Lycan-1.png
  • Vayne4800
    Offline / Send Message
    Vayne4800 polycounter lvl 3
    @Tyn: Amazing concept. Aren't you overdoing the wear and tear?

My first contribution to the Spring 2014 event. Ember Spirit blades. Concept by Ike! Sculpt is halfway finished.

JwfCSha.jpgnp9Zjzz.jpg
  • pear
    Offline / Send Message
    pear polycounter lvl 8
    i made this thing for the spring update but it looked shitty ingame feel free to make something similar , i think it looks pretty cool

dota_2___legion_commander_helmet_hp_by_pearington-d701xrz.jpg
  • Xajai
    Offline / Send Message
    Xajai polycounter lvl 3
    Almost done with my gyro set for the spring event! just have to rework the texture on the umbrella :3
    rTpChnK.jpg
  • Shock
    Offline / Send Message
    Shock polycounter lvl 5
    @xajai

FUCK MY LIFE. this is awesome. u totaly got me with this ;)
  • Hudston
    Offline / Send Message
    Xajai wrote: »
    Almost done with my gyro set for the spring event! just have to rework the texture on the umbrella :3
    rTpChnK.jpg

Stop it. You're making us all look bad. D:
  • Gaiascope
    Offline / Send Message
    Gaiascope polycounter lvl 4
    @Xajai
    That Gyro set looks absolutely wonderful! If that doesn't end up making it into the game I'll need to reconsider how much respect I have for Valve :P Awesome work!

@Tyn
    I love how rugged that concept feels. I hope that ends up translating well to 3D.

@Vayne4800
    Great sculpt! I think the way the swirls at the base of the blade build up really give it a nice effect. I love how clean the detail in the blade itself is. How did you make that? I feel like I'm somehow missing out on a technique for clean sculpting. That's what I get for being a relative noob to it I guess.
  • heboltz3
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm polishing up the elephant animations for an end of the week ship.

Here's a taste of what's to come;
    A5aSB5i.gif

@konras Thanks for the step by step! Real short, simple and to the point awesome :)
  • Vayne4800
    Offline / Send Message
    Gaiascope wrote: »
    @Xajai
    That Gyro set looks absolutely wonderful! If that doesn't end up making it into the game I'll need to reconsider how much respect I have for Valve :P Awesome work!

@Tyn
    I love how rugged that concept feels. I hope that ends up translating well to 3D.

@Vayne4800
    Great sculpt! I think the way the swirls at the base of the blade build up really give it a nice effect. I love how clean the detail in the blade itself is. How did you make that? I feel like I'm somehow missing out on a technique for clean sculpting. That's what I get for being a relative noob to it I guess.

I tried various methods and Got the fastest and cleanest method by applying alpha mask. Just select alpha masking on the right pane, make a black and white png file and use it as alpha, use drag stamp brush, control drag to size and while not lifting the pen and not releasing the cntrl key, press space to move it. So move and scale as you see fit then place the mask. Invert select by cntrl+click outside the mesh. Go to deformation, choose to inflate in Y direction only (for my setup as I have symmetry as well) and make your adjustment. Pretty useful and neat after you get used to it. Pros do this all the time and it took me a few hours to figure out. Lots to learn ^^.
  • OniLolz
    Offline / Send Message
    OniLolz polycounter lvl 12
    Hey guys!

So, we started a Lycan ultimate for the chinese contest :)

64mSj.png
  • Oroboros
    Hot sauce all around guys. The bar will be set high!
  • brianchenito
    Offline / Send Message
    brianchenito polycounter lvl 7
    My friend and I are working on a Guardian Lion courier for the spring event-
    5KBC6dz.jpg
  • Bernoully
    Offline / Send Message
    Bernoully polycounter lvl 4
    OniLolz wrote: »
    Hey guys!

So, we started a Lycan ultimate for the chinese contest :)

Love the design! Can see the Chinese elements but I'm also getting Okami vibes :D
  • cottonwings
    Everyone's Year of The Horse items are so beautiful, I need to excuse myself *sobs uncontrollably*

From my side, 2014 is coming in 5 hours so Happy New Year in advance! Any workshop-related resolutions?
  • Prosomogy
    Happy New Year!;)

Cunning Fang
    E9AB409CD358E8C315AE0A7271E9680392A34A7B

Cunning Fang Off Hand
    BE46E602B17BB64175E94C7FCEBD68AAC8060DD0
  • marul
    Offline / Send Message
    marul polycounter lvl 7
    Xajai wrote: »
    rTpChnK.jpg

Great concept, you really captured the "chinese feel". I would suggest working a bit more on the wooden parts though. It could be better if they are a little more defined.
  • MdK
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    Some more progress on the set I'm working on with SLIMEface. Going to be a task to finish this all before the 15th! Weapon, back, feet and head done. Still got shoulders, belt, gloves and neck to go!

VEOfv4w.jpgvd2yPYB.jpg
  • DeCoY_CRock
    Hello folks,

i just finished my first DOTA 2 courier, Shroomy! :)

1B90E2E0921761A7B32FDA056FA1889235A89C4B

english video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HF8f2xQ_cQg&feature=youtu.be

Смотреть это видео на русском языке:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9JuVWH9rTM&feature=youtu.be

中文视频链接
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ekb4QgJTfkE&feature=youtu.be

Happy New Year everyone, and don't forget to vote on the steam page:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=210578693&searchtext
  • kite212
    Offline / Send Message
    Everyone's Year of The Horse items are so beautiful, I need to excuse myself *sobs uncontrollably*

From my side, 2014 is coming in 5 hours so Happy New Year in advance! Any workshop-related resolutions?

Only resolution I have is to suck less in hopes that Valve will show me some love back :poly136:
  • TrevorJ
    Offline / Send Message
    TrevorJ polycounter lvl 9
    Just some blockouts of a couple single items for Earth spirit for the new years event. Going into zbrush now to detail them. Id like to do a weapon for him but can't seem to get anything interesting working.

Let me know what you think

h4VnDVM.jpg
  • quockhanhlk
    Offline / Send Message
    quockhanhlk polycounter lvl 11
    It's already 2014 at my place, so, HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYBODY ! :D

@TrevorJ: i really like the shoulder piece, it looks nice ^^
  • OniLolz
    Offline / Send Message
    I wish the best 2014 ever for everyone!

It's 3 pm here, so we still have time to finish this bad boy today:

Bake done, now time to overpaint!

64MyR.png
  • Hunter-Killer
    Offline / Send Message
    Hunter-Killer polycounter lvl 4
    First off Happy New Year all and daaaamn this thread is getting full of some seriously quality work!

Started on an item for the obvious choice, Ember Spirit. Unsure if this maybe a little more on the Japanese side (though I did research on Chinese demons and similar faces popped up!)
    As per my usual workflow I've got the highpoly base down and done a quick test ingame, will be sculpting in some details and working on the colours and masks next.

emberdemonmask.jpg
  • Sukotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    Hmmm I feel like it would be a better fit for Juggernaut honestly since he normally wears a mask. Maybe you could reconfigure it so more of his face is showing?
  • Vayne4800
    Offline / Send Message
    Onilolz; how long did it take you to retopo that beast oO, coz it seems you did it REALLY fast.

Hunter-Killer: Looking at the ingame view, seems to fit him well, especially those spikes follow nicely with his shoulder spikes.
  • oDD
    Offline / Send Message
    oDD polycounter lvl 18
    OniLolz: that looks awesome!

I've finished my first item for the event (Workshop Link)

good_luck_render.jpg

good_luck_ingame_01.jpg
  • OniLolz
    Offline / Send Message
    @oDD: I loved it! Pretty awesome idea and great execution!

@Vayne: About 2 or 3 hours to retopo and UV :)
  • Danglebob
    Offline / Send Message
    Danglebob polycounter lvl 15
    Just a heads up, I was rereading the CNY prompt on the Dota blog and came across this:

"Be sure to mark your submissions using the “Spring2014″ tag when placing your items on the Workshop."

Don't forget! Good luck everyone!
  • kite212
    Offline / Send Message
    Screwonhed wrote: »
    Just a heads up, I was rereading the CNY prompt on the Dota blog and came across this:

"Be sure to mark your submissions using the “Spring2014″ tag when placing your items on the Workshop."

Don't forget! Good luck everyone!

It's been stated on other forums, and I am sure others have come across this already. There is no way to add this tag to an item currently. At this time you can only tag a collection with Spring2014
  • pior
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Well done oDD, nice and simple, very cool !
    Oni, great stuff, can's wait to see it ingame ! You're almost done :)
  • TommyTehZombie
    Finished my Pudge Hook, now for the promo art which im horrible at.. -_-

R1tqUat.png
  • heboltz3
    Offline / Send Message
    @oDD- Dat coin. Real simple, real slick. Sweet.

Happy New Year! I've only been around for a month, but my resolution is more posting, more collabs, get something into the game, and make some kickass animation. Thanks for making it enjoyable so far ;)
  • Spudnik
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik polycounter lvl 11
    @Hunter-killer
    Seems a bit unfitting. Ember's face for me is characterized by being elongated and relatively simple/minimalistic compared to the rest of the body. By adding a relatively broad mask which takes up a lot of the design space (the things players immediately see), it seems to liken him to Juggernaut too much for my liking (especially since they share some similarities in abilities), I think it's important to clearly separate them in terms of item design.

@oDD
    Gotta agree, nice and simple does the trick.