Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Minotaur_Wip

Poly-Jon
polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
Poly-Jon polycounter lvl 13
Hi ya Polycounters ..
Thought it was time i posted something as i have been a long time lurker.

Always thought about putting up post but never getting round to it
Usually because am busy looking at all the awesome work posted by everyone else.

Anyway.

This is a Minotaur i have been playing with for the last few weeks
taking a long time to work out what to do with him etc
But I think finally have a look / design all be in far from original lol

Minator_Turnaround.jpg

This guy is meant to big and hulking at the front of a battle ( lord of the rings style ).
I wanted to give him a kind harness and the reason behind it now is to attach a giant flag for at the front of the battle .

it`s still pretty much WIP so am looking for any crits and comments before i go too far

again awesome work guy`s great to see how high people raise the bar :)

Jon

Replies

• Wiktor
    Offline / Send Message
    Wiktor polycounter lvl 11
    Wow, this looks really great!
    Only thing I have to crit on is that I think the silhuette would gain from more of a Y-form. I.e. smaller legs and larger upper body. The upper body looks great, but I think you could thighten the space between his legs up a bit.

Just my two cents.

Keep it up!
  • autokey
    Offline / Send Message
    autokey polycounter lvl 11
    Wow...this guy is amazing, Jon! The only thing I noticed after staring at it for minute was the crease on the inside of the elbow looks a bit too strong. But really, besides that, he looks incredible to me. Nice work! :D
  • Baddcog
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    Nice work.

The harness is great, could be used to pull battle gear (catapults, ladders,etc..) too.

I like the plate mail around the waist, but if he's up front maybe he needs some chest pieces, or scars from arrows?
  • Dan!
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! polycounter lvl 6
    he's just plain awesome- his mouth, especially the upper lip, feels a bit thin to me though. Agreed with baddcog- he could use some more battle scarring.
  • woogity
    really nice work man. the harness/ yoke design is pretty great, love that you thought about its function too. crit wise a little more asymmetry could be nice depending on what texture size you want for this guy, and keep working on the fur at the feet, it lacks the polish of the rest of him. This thing is shaping up nicely.

o bigger imagez please!

-Woog
  • Poly-Jon
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers guys

Disting: I know what you mean ..actualy when I first was putting this guy together he had smaller legs .. here's a old WIP of it
    Little_Legs.jpg
    But after a while of working with it, and after I decided I wanted to give it a kind of horse collar, I decided that I wanted to give him more of a shire horse influence.
    I think it works better that it did at least

autokey: yea i agree on the crease, there are a few things that need a good look at but I intend to have a good go over that anatomy once the harness etc is finished so I'll go over the bits that are seen

Baddcog : Thanks yea the idea with the harness is when he`s not in battle he is used as a kind of work horse pulling and lugging heavy machinery about. Ta on the elbow, I will take a good look when I come to readdress the anatomy. I will post naked turn arounds once I do so I can get all these points. They are easily missed after looking at it for hours lol and after that is when I'll throw off the symettry and scarring :)

Dan! : Cheers yea I reckon when I add the scars it's gonna be pretty fun and am looking forward to it

woogity : Cheers man yea am trying to do function dictates design. It took me ages to decide the little story explaining why he`s in a harness, am a bit rubbish at making my mind up on that so this is quite the learning curve . as for the legs and fur yea I know they need work but I plan on retoping him soon as the leg topo is a bit rubbish as it was stretched from an old generic male base mesh
    and when i get some good shots i'll take a step up on the image size too

Thanks again guys for the comments, they're greatly appreciated

Jon
  • roosterMAP
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    beautiful! really good work.
  • bounchfx
    looks really good! Let's have a bigger picture?
  • Dismembered
    Offline / Send Message
    Dismembered polycounter lvl 9
    I like it! Like others have stated I think if he were to be on the front lines he would have more damage done to him, scars and maybe a broken horn. Also something about his head isn't sitting right with me. It is almost like his head is too small or possibly to human looking. I just don't get much of a bull read from it, more like a mountain goat or something. (I am mainly referring to the 3/4 view on your first post) But it looks great keep it up!
  • Poly-Jon
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the comments :)

roosterMAP : Thanks

bounchfx : No probs i will add some bigger with my update post in a bit

Dismembered : Yea I agree he would have scars and was thinking of breaking a horn but like alot of it the horns are also a place holder * ugh so much work to do * once am happy with it ill do the pass for scars and getting rid of syimatry :) as for the face I will be takeing another look at it when I come to reto it as it could defo do with geometry that goes with the nostrals etc the base mesh is very basic maybe I can louse the goat look then or at least feed it more steroids ? I do think thair is something with the face tho not 100~% thair yet
  • Poly-Jon
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok i have been putting in the WIP of the flag part of the harness
    so here`s some shots. am not 100% with it just yet it would be great to hear what people think :)

( I have upped the size too sorry if it`s slow download for anyone ) :(

Flag_WIP.jpg

also here is another couple of shots that are larger

Face_1.jpg
    Front_back.jpg

thanka again for the crits

Jon

* Hmmm pics seem smaller when posted ? will takea look tomorrow but calling a night for now *
  • Klumpmeister
  • KRider
    Offline / Send Message
    KRider polycounter lvl 8
    Nice sculpting. The details in the face are nice. Are you planning on making a low poly version?
  • Wiktor
    Offline / Send Message
    Pretty freakin sweet man!
  • Barnstable
    Stellar work. No crit, just really impressed.
  • Drakon
    Offline / Send Message
    Drakon polycounter lvl 6
    Lovin your work man! Would like to see some hair on the forearm and maybe shoulders, also the poles holding the flag could be a slight bit thicker to make it more durable and since hes a big guy and the harness seems like it was made for carrying heavy stuff.
    Cant wait to see more! :)
  • Poly-Jon
    Offline / Send Message
    Klumpmeister : Cheers dude

Disting : Cheers

Barnstable : Thanks

Drakon : hay man cheers yea i was looking at putting hair on the forearms but i have been thinking of putting wrist straps with spikes etc on their so i will see how much arm is left if it comes to life as for the poles am not sure about it being thicker as it`s just to support the flag so i don’t want to overkill it altho it will need re-meshing when i am happy with the design at which point i need to look at all the ropes and chains so will look at beams then cheers.

itismario : Thanks

Also i think the reason the pic`s are smaller than i uploaded them at is because they are restricted in size with photobucket ( anybody know about this ? )

So if anyone wants i can separate the front and pack pic and post separate for better rez
    Will post more when i have something to show :)
    Thanks again guys for your time and comments .
  • Wiktor
    Offline / Send Message
    About the image size... You should try www.TinyPic.com
    It's a great site for quick uploads without registration etc.

Keep it up!
  • StevenEgan
    Offline / Send Message
    StevenEgan polycounter lvl 9
    Very nice. I like the face especially.
  • fabio brasilien
    Offline / Send Message
    fabio brasilien polycounter lvl 11
    Looks awesome so far! His belt kinds of remind me the polycount logo... :poly124:
  • killingpeople
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    Hell y- .. I mean, Fuck yea.
  • Thegodzero
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    Wonderful details! Really great work can't wait to see it all textured.
  • Poly-Jon
    Offline / Send Message
    Disting : Cheers ill take a good gander at that when i get a min or 2 till then ill just split a pic in to two

StevenEgan : Thanks lovin your minotaur too

fabio brasilien : Ha cheers man maybe ill sneek the polycount logo in thair anyway maybe he could be branded with it ;)

killingpeople : Cheers .. maybe i should change my user name *Hmmmmm

Thegodzero : Thanks here a better close up

here the larger pics

next it to work on his other weapon

Front.jpg

Back.jpg

Parts.jpg
  • Jungsik
    Offline / Send Message
    Jungsik polycounter lvl 6
    what a beautiful piece of work

great job, its outstanding! !! !! ! !

are you going to texture it?
  • sltrOlsson
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    Fucking awesome! Some more arrows maybe, and some broken?
  • Vinterdragen
    Offline / Send Message
    Vinterdragen polycounter lvl 12
    Hell Yeah!, Hell Yeah!

Try to put more meat to the legs, I think that are just a bit thinner than what should (Looking the torso)
  • blitz
    Offline / Send Message
    blitz polycounter lvl 17
    very nice work you doing here.. like the head a lot. My only crit a the biceps, looks a bit short maybe..
    Anyway, great work.
  • Poly-Jon
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Guys

Jungsik : Thanks yea am hope to do a game version of it so low poly textured and hopefully rigged and animated ? Just got to keep at it :)

sltrOlsson : hay cheers yea am hopeing to add more details like the arrows when i get to the point of adding scars etc the arrows at the moment i feel help give him the feel of size as i work on him so there a place holder at the moment

Vinterdragen : cheers man I’ll take the inflate / clay brush at them when i sculpt the body again an see if your right

blitz : I see where you are coming from the forearm pass looks too long for the bicep i will investigate further thanks

Am having a dilemma i can’t work out a 2nd weapon for this guy i have been playing around with the idea of a mace type of weapon possibly strapped to his wrist so he can throw it but then reel it back in again here’s one of a few i have mocked i was hopeing to get peoples opinion on it as its not sitting quite right for me but can’t quite put my finger on why?
    Maybe it just doesn’t suit the character all comments appreciated

Ball_Chain.jpg

Thanks guys

Jon
  • autokey
    Offline / Send Message
    He is looking amazing, Jon! As far as the weapons go, have you thought about giving him one large weapon? He doesn't seem like the dual wielding type to me :) I do like him with the mace, though. Maybe a long handled two-handed mace?
  • Drakon
    Offline / Send Message
    Drakon polycounter lvl 6
    Also liking the idea of a 2h weapon, if not, maybe he could have some sort of a shield in his left hand, to help him push forward.
  • Poly-Jon
    Offline / Send Message
    autokey : Cheers for ya input dude ill take it on board

Drakon : Thanks bud I did think about a shield but then when I did he diddent look like what I was going for

I finly started retoping him well his head at the moment
    altho I got carried away I wanted to test the topology with a normalmap on it did a UV layout and got carried away anbd textured it a bit
    I figure it`s just a quick start I can always bake it over if I change uvs or topology etc

Heres new topo hopeing it will be good for rigging
    Head_Top.jpg

heres a very ruff shot of the textured too
    Head_Test.jpg

Thanks

Jon
  • killingpeople
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    Whoa, gross... let me digest this. I'm curious where you're taking the materials... proceed -_-
  • autokey
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow...This guy keeps getting better
  • Bon
    Siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiick!!!! I am loving the approach on the skin, killingpeople is right, run with this idea mate.

For the mace, maybe it's too nimble a weapon for him, and that would be an arse to animate. How do you feel about the idea to turn it into a morning star type of chain mace?