Home General Discussion

Music?

What do you listen to while making art? Do you guys find that you have specific types of tunes that will get you into the mood to bust out some sweet 3D? Would you rather be pumped up with some fast beats or do you enjoy slower melodies while you are working?

Personally I notice that I work better with more subtle tones and slower flowing music than with heavier and faster music that I find tends to compete with my brainwaves. Just wondering what you all find. Examples of bands/artists are appreciated smile.gif

Replies

• aesir
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    when Im actually in a working groove, I really dont notice any music playing at all. I'll go through 7 or 8 tracks without noticing that the song ever changed.
  • Neo_God
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    It really ranges, because my tastes in music range from things like old jazz to Industrial.

It usually depends on my mood, and my mood lately has been a Nick Cave, Tom Waits and Einstürzende Neubauten mood.
  • hawken
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    sometimes I listen to the soundtracks from The Lord of The Rings trilogy, especially when I'm working on fantasy stuff. Sometimes I listen to some crazy shit like Lightning Bolt (the songs that sound like Captain Caveman)

The majority of the time I don't listen to any music.
  • flaagan
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    http://somafm.com/ Groove Salad is my weapon of choice. Listened to it all through college and still do today. smile.gif
  • sonic
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    i love to listen to hardcore/metal when im crunching. one time i had to pull an all nighter because some client demanded their site be done by next day and hatebreed/bury your dead powered me through the night. by like 8am i was so pumped i felt like headbutting a tree
  • EarthQuake
    Deltron 3030
    aleksi virta http://webjay.org/by/ratte/aleksivirta-meetstorstiatthespacelounge5bmtk1235d
    gnarls barkley
    franz ferdinand
    chili peppers
    NIN
    SOAD
    Tool

...... what gets listened most, recently atleast. With a random selection of gigs upon gigs of crap way too long to list. Mellow, heavy, as long as its good i will zone out and lose myself in a trance as i smash my fingers away at the "Make art" button.
  • Pedro Amorim
    [ QUOTE ]
    http://somafm.com/ Groove Salad is my weapon of choice. Listened to it all through college and still do today. smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

laugh.gif hooray! another chill out guy. laugh.gif

i like to listen to thievery corporation, kruder and dorfmeister and so on..
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    If you use Launch, you can check out my station. User name is vassy2k4.
  • snemmy
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    somaFM as well here along with http://www.chronixradio.com/ for my metal fix

otherwise it's my standard collection of songs which is quite eclectic.. Cradle of Filth to Utada Hikaru to the Metal Gear SOlid soundtracks.
    i find it easier to zone out to black metal than somaFM Groove Salad o.O
  • JKMakowka
  • Tulkamir
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    Depends on the when and where.

Usually a variety of metal. Maiden, In Flames, Green Carnation, Kamelot, etc... basically whatever feels good at the time.

Sometimes I like to listen to some classical or celtic stuff as well.

If I'm at school with buds and it's late and we're tired I throw on songs we all know so we can sing along and have some fun. (Rasputin, Bohemian Rhapsody, Come on Feel the Noize, etc...)
  • darkvir
    as I'm typing now from work, I got Vagrant Story by Sakimoto playin.
  • DeathKitten
    Offline / Send Message
    DeathKitten polycounter lvl 18
    I usually enjoy mellow or slow music like Cat Power, Regina Spektor, Norah Jones, Portisehead, Zepplin & Floyd while I'm working on art.

-DK =^..^=
  • Joao Sapiro
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    i dont listen to music, i am deaf frown.gif
  • Vitor
    Offline / Send Message
    Vitor polycounter lvl 18
    I dunno, depends on my mood really, from Vivaldi to Fintroll. Thou the main ones would be Metallica, Pink Floyd, Smashing Pumpkins, U2...
  • Psyk0
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    Old school hip-hop, Sonic Youth, some metal, Dj/turntablism & electronica. Sonic Youth and ambient stuff work great.
  • coldwolf
    Offline / Send Message
    coldwolf polycounter lvl 18
    Ha, I was about to make a new thread about this but decided to search first. Glad I did smile.gif It's not taboo to revive threads around here is it?

I dig some industrial (NIN is my current favorite), techno (such as Prodigy, Fatboy Slim), or heavy metal (Static-X, In Flames, etc.) when I need to crank it.

[ QUOTE ]
    i love to listen to hardcore/metal when im crunching. one time i had to pull an all nighter because some client demanded their site be done by next day and hatebreed/bury your dead powered me through the night. by like 8am i was so pumped i felt like headbutting a tree

[/ QUOTE ]
    YES. Christ that made my day. I lift to Hatebreed (In Flames mostly though, their new album pwn3d me) for this reason.

I'm curious: do any of you make your own music? I know there are some artist/coders, which blows me away (inspiring though), but I haven't heard of any musically-inclined artists.
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    I'm curious: do any of you make your own music? I know there are some artist/coders, which blows me away (inspiring though), but I haven't heard of any musically-inclined artists.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, I have one song up here, I'm playing the guitar and bass, the drums are from a loop CD so the song ends a bit weak because I didn't have a drum sample that went with it.

And some older stuff up here

I have a midi keyboard laying around that I've never used but I'm hoping to pick things back up pretty soon and maybe do my own percussion instead of depending on drum loops.
  • coldwolf
    Offline / Send Message
    Dude that's a pretty sweet track. It's got a little bit of a "surfer" tune to it, if that makes sense. Good stuff smile.gif

I was thinking of playing with GarageBand when I get a mac and see how that goes. No one really plays the kind of music I want frown.gif
  • MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    These past couple of weeks I've been stuck on a few albums:
    Audioslave - Revelations
    Mr. Scruff - Trouser Jazz
    Steely Dan - Aja
    The Dear Hunter - The Lake South, The River North

I usually have a fairly varied range of music at my disposal when I'm working (got an iPod recently, I love it!), mostly I put one album on and leave it looping for a whole day or until I get bored (which sometimes takes more than a whole day!).
    I tend to go through cycles of heavier to softer music, nearly always older rock or newer metal stuff, with some jazz, blues, chillout, classical, soundtrack and progressive instrumental music thrown in here and there.

As for making my own music, I've got hundreds of guitar riffs and licks written down and recorded, some covers of tracks recorded (mainly Joe Satriani ones), and a few hesitant starts at trying to record a full, good quality piece of instrumental music.

I have a few pieces I started recently that I'm quite happy with, but they're still just a ragged collection of chords, solos and bridges that aren't really refined or connected coherently.
    I swear I'll post some up when I actually finish something to my own satisfaction (which will probably be never).

I know Rooster has a musical side, I've heard some of his oldschool electronic stuff and it's awesome!
  • Asherr
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    http://www.last.fm/user/Asherr/

been listening to a station made up of songs with "Goth Metal" tags the last few days. also Otep's Ghostflowers and an assortment of Evanescence and Trivium.
  • coldwolf
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome MoP, I thought I was the only one to get hooked on one album for an entire day laugh.gif Though I'll admit I've been on a NIN binge for the whole week... but they have so much stuff, I feel it's justified. -Ish. And, um, right, swear to never post your stuff, thanks tongue.gif Come on, give us some noise!

Rooster! You've been summoned. Man up! smile.gif

Asherr, goth metal is fun every now and then, thanks for the band names, I'll check them out. Though I can't say I'm pleased with this "tiktak" stuff that's playin on your station atm.. wink.gif

Anyone know of any tribal house/techno along the lines of Juno Reactor?
  • sonic
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    Asherr: are you from Europe? I don't think anyone from the US would listen to Evanescence and Trivium within a couple years of each other tongue.gif

Here is a list of some of the bands I listen to:
    Killswitch Engage (fav band! woop woop), All That Remains, Lamb of God, Bury Your Dead, Hatebreed, Chimaira, Arch Enemy, It Dies Today, Norma Jean, As I Lay Dying, Trivium, Meshuggah, Machinehead, Demon Hunter, Disturbed, Breaking Benjamins, Throwdown, Pantera, Red hot chilli peppers, and Barry White wink.gif
  • Vermeulen
    Offline / Send Message
    Vermeulen polycounter lvl 18
    http://www.alientrap.org/verm/playcount.jpg
    This is kinda biased towards bands that I usually put on shuffle, so slow songs from QOSTA-Nirvana-Radiohead, but there is my itunes playcount (notice the number of songs on the bottom also)
  • gavku
    Offline / Send Message
    gavku polycounter lvl 18
    At the moment listening to: J-period:best of the roots, Underclassmen:Underclassics, Indian Ropeman, Goyte, Booka Shade - movements...havent heard any new hardcore/metal in awhile thats really grabbed me. If someone could recommend some that'd be cool...
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    I listen to stuff depending on my mood. Mainly Hardcore/Metalcore and from time to time some hip-hop and/or turntablism.
    Currently on regular rotation:
    Hardcore: 25 Ta Life, Casey Jones, Champion, Internal Affairs, Pro Team (local band), xWish for Wingsx (local band)
    Metal/Metalcore: August Burns Red, Bury Your Dead, Lamb of God, Norther (Death Unlimited), On Broken Wings
    Hip-Hop: Aesop Rock, Biz Markee, Q-Bert, Wu-Tang Clan

-caseyjones
  • bounchfx
    lots of different crap. a lot of game music, and a lot of heavy stuff mainly.
  • Jarrod1937
    Offline / Send Message
    Jarrod1937 polycounter lvl 15
    i usually listen to my game composer's music, seanbeeson.com, and e nomine.
  • Geezus
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    If I listen to any music, it's normally some older indie rock. Karate has some great jazz-indie rock fusion music that gets me in a zone most of the time. The Dismemberment Plan is another great band.
  • danr
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    i think the choice of music depends on how deeply i need to ignore everyone else, and get headlong into some work that requires only me. Normally i don't get a chance to put my headphones on, and if i do it's often just fluff i don't mind switching off.
    Not long ago i went out at lunchtime to buy a CD i'd been waiting ages for, and attempted to listen to it at work. After a couple of hours i had to shout "look, i've got about 4 tracks in so far, will everyone just fuck off and let me listen to this CD".
    If i DO get to listen properly to something at work, it's either (interchangeably) insanely loud and fast or extremely slow and quiet.
  • Uly
    Offline / Send Message
    Uly polycounter lvl 15
    Lately, it's been Caesar's Palace. They'll be my personal Love Swedes when I'm dictator of Earth.

Alongside Pink Floyd, Moody Blues, Freezepop, Supertramp, Metric, and Simon & Garfunkel. Sigur Ros is good too.
  • Peris
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I listen to secret agent station all the time smile.gif
  • Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    nine inch nails for me
  • Our_Hero
    Usually it falls under instrumental prog/post rock, so something like:

Mogwai
    Sigur R
  • bearkub
    Offline / Send Message
    bearkub polycounter lvl 18
    http://www.last.fm/user/bearkub

There you have it. Try to make sense of it, if you dare.
  • MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Oh yeah, I keep forgetting about Last.fm...

http://www.last.fm/user/moppius

Basically that's a record of my collected musical taste of the last few years.
  • Snowfly
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    Toad the Wet Sprocket, Tosca, Thievery Corporation, and a lot of Miles Davis.
  • Gav
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    It changes for me, but it's all from a big playlist I have on my machine. Mostly all rock from the 90's but some older stuff in there as well, some current favorites that I find myself skipping forward to are - Tomahawk, Fantomas, Faith No More, Wellwater Conspiracy, Led Zeppelin and Primus.
  • motives
    Offline / Send Message
    motives polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    If I listen to any music, it's normally some older indie rock. Karate has some great jazz-indie rock fusion music that gets me in a zone most of the time. The Dismemberment Plan is another great band.

[/ QUOTE ]

yea dude hear, hear. Karate is a great band. Really worth a listen.

otherwise im mainly stuck in som kinda hardcore/post hardcore genre at the moment. Alexisonfire is gg
  • rooster
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    another soma fm guy here, I like space station soma, clip hop and the spy radio
  • Rick Stirling
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Like Dan, I rarely get a chance to listen to anything - but I just got Grinderman. That's some good no pussy blues feedback fun.

I was doing a fair few late nights, and the wind down album of choice for the bus was the debut Adjagas album, a Norwegian Sami folk band. At night when trying to get a few hours done on dom war, it's been ipod time with either The Who, Brian Eno (Ambient for Airports), or the new Arcade Fre album.

Tonight I left my ipod on my desk, so no music - the missus has just gone to bed in the room next door.

Or I could plug in headphones since there is a pair beside me.
  • aesir
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    haha, my last.fm has huey lewis and the news as my most listened to artist... Hows THAT for weird.
  • GameFruit
    Aw, man. Ever since I heard your music when I went to Ai, I was like, what? James listens to that? I like your taste!

Anywho, here are my favourites: Smashing Pumpkins, Interpol, Postal Service, Mew, Sigur Ros, Mogwai, Arcade Fire, Frou Frou, Madonna, Metric, David Bowie, Coldplay, Grandaddy, The Beach Boys, Jamiroquai, Gorillaz, Bright Eyes, The Cardigans.

All of them are awesome.
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    I forgot to mention Lightning Bolt, it's total insane-o noise from hell. The drummer's side project, Black Pus, is even crazier but I can only stand one or two songs.
  • snemmy
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    Gackt
    The Birthday Massacre
    Atreyu

Buckethead - Jordan

that's what ive been listening to 99% of the time lately.

http://www.last.fm/user/snemmy

kinda offset cause ive had Gackt playing 24hrs a day the past 3 or 4 days on my laptop. laugh.gif
  • snap.crackle.pop
    Offline / Send Message
    snap.crackle.pop polycounter lvl 18
    Hey guys im the guy who posted the www.somafm.com internet radio station last year, its all because of me that you can chillout while making art.
  • rooster
  • rawkstar
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 18
    audiobooks for the win, started listening to them every day like... a few weeks ago and its been great. I found out that i'm addicted to chatting with people... so having someone talk in my headphones really helps me block out all that extra chatter crap and focus on getting work done. and once you get into the rhythm the day flies by like nothing, the head listens while the hands do their thing.

I have a pretty big collection of them so far ... i'd say probably over 50 now, maybe even around 70 and still growing, but good ones are becoming very hard to find.

There's also lots of interesting podcasts, like This american life, some of which is really great, and also KERA's Think podcast, thats pretty good too, and then there's the coast to coast radio, which for some strange reason has an audience of 90% extremely religious people, everyone who calls in is like a redneck from colorado or something trying to explain complex scientific theories with god... which is why i don't listen to that one anymore, but its still quite entertaining.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    Just got the new Comeback Kid album, so I've been listening to that.

-caseyjones