Home General Discussion

nin: year zero

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
http://yearzero.nin.com/

you can listen to the entire new album here at the price of an email address.

Replies

• KeyserSoze
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    I sampled a few of the tracks on myspace (don't judge me blush.gif), and my initial impression was that this new album seems much better than With Teeth (which wasn't a terrible album, but just kind of meh). That's just my very early impression though, since I wasn't really in the mood to listen to it so I only checked out a few minutes of a couple tracks. I'll give it a good listen later tonight.
  • Michael Knubben
    The album's certainly better (and more unified) than With Teeth, but after about 7 listens i can't say i'm overwhelmed. I end up losing interest after a while, and i feel the album as a whole could've stood to lose a few minutes.
    Often i'd like a bit more variation as well, as songs seem to hinge on one loop, played throughout the entire song.
    Nevertheless, there are a few good songs on there, and some really nice sounds (half the fun with a NIN release, right?).
    In This Twilight specifically is a great song, i think. Just don't go by the single. If i had to have gone by that, i wouldn't have been too excited about the cd.
  • Nilium
    Offline / Send Message
    Nilium polycounter lvl 18
    It's not bad. I'm not exactly a NIN enthusiast though, I just like their music. Still, I like some of this, not all of it, but some of it. Might have to pick up the CD for those tracks.
  • HonkyPunch
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    Eh
    Still not as good as Broken, or Fragile.
    But, it's still a pretty good album.
  • Slum
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    On track 2 right now, and it totally blows.

The vocals just sound cheesy. Bon Jovi could have been singing it.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]

Still not as good as Broken, or Fragile.
    But, it's still a pretty good album.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed.
  • Neo_God
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    yeah...it's decent.
  • moose
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    Gojira > NIN :P

i like the new album, is decent. For some reason it isnt as exciting as their previous stuff.
  • HonkyPunch
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    Really, I think that year zero just sounds not enough like music, and more like...some sort of background noise. It's just to dull, and all the songs sound a like in the fact that there's so much static and electronic "washing".
    I think that his next album just needs some music that's a good old fashioned ass kicking, with heavy lyrics, and loud guitars and shit. Of course, there would have to be that certain electronic element that it has, and always should have. I just really want to see more music that's similar to his older stuff.
  • ebagg
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    I'm a NIN fanboy, ever since I saw them live in 05, amazing show, and this new album is awesome.
  • Vermeulen
    Offline / Send Message
    Vermeulen polycounter lvl 18
    it's a good new style, but really it sounds all the same, nothing really stands out. I didn't like With Teeth that much, but it at least had 4 good tracks that stood out
    plus Survivalism, is by far the worst song nine inch nails has ever done
  • Wells
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    I like it.

I would even call it 'badass'
  • Michael Knubben
    I just think it's too bad all of the songs revolve around one loop, and that he sounds so incredibly bored when singing.
    Should we just send him drugs in the mail, hoping it'll either get him pepped up or angry?

Seriously though, it's an alright album. I'm not so sure i'll be buying it (on that note, is anyone selling a The Fragile Vinyl in good condition?), but the next few listens might convince me otherwise.
  • Parnell
    Offline / Send Message
    Parnell polycounter lvl 18
    I like it. I actually couldn't stand the Fragile when it came out...then after about the 3rd time through I really started to pick out the sweet sweet melodies, that were buried in it. The Fragile is now one of my fav NIN albums.
    This album reminds me alot of the Pretty Hate Machine days...I actually found myself thinking back to Head like a Hole when i listened to Survivalism. I also like that he steered away from the ol' "tears and fears" lyrics, and stepped it up with some semi-political stuff.
    I liked "With Teeth" and listened to the hell out of it. Regardless if this album is as deep or as awesome as some previous NIN album this one will no doubt help me focus at work and make some sweet art.
    Now STFUAGBTW!!!
    B