Home General Discussion

1200p or 1440p monitors?

I'm in the process of buying some new dual monitors and I'm looking for some advice.

Which one of these resolutions is better for game design, 1920 x 1080 or 2560 x 1440?
First I was aiming for two Dell u2415 1200p 16:10 monitors, but then I saw that the Dell u2515h 1440p 16:9 monitors are almost the same price as the u2415.

Some advice/opinions would be appreciated :)

Replies

• RobeOmega
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RobeOmega polycounter lvl 10
    The 1080p vs 1440p choice for me if not cost would be the hardware of your computer. For example if your computer is very capable to run 1440p and still perform well I would go for it.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    1080 pixels of vertical resolution is pretty poor for working really, content and interface do not fit well alongside on that. a decent 24 inch screen should come as 1920x1200 but the more the better. i have 2560x1440 on my main screen and it's enough screen real estate to theoretically go single monitor for my work.

one thing to look out for is that the dot pitch on those higher res screens is pretty small. not great for reading small text. best to see it in a store and compare. 24 inch wins for me in this regard (i use both screen sizes on the same desk).

but this is for working with 3D DCC apps, not sure you even need a monitor for 'game design'. reliable sources tell me that a nerf gun will suffice for that. ;)
  • Bofink
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Robeomega wrote: »
    The 1080p vs 1440p choice for me if not cost would be the hardware of your computer. For example if your computer is very capable to run 1440p and still perform well I would go for it.

I have an AMD Radeon HD7950 GPU 3GB, so 1440p would be fine :)
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    ya I'm using 2x 27inch displays at 1440p now, i organically had 2 1080p screens at 24inches, but since getting my new job where i work using 1440p it just made me feel like i got no screen space when i get back home so i had to upgrade.

I'm running a i7 3770k 32gb ram and a 4gb gtx970 and have no problems with my personal work running on Unreal 4 or stuff for my job which is on Unity 5.

But some more taxing games like Witcher3 drop frames when running full res 1440p.

Once you get used to having the more res, its hard to go back. Its really nice being able to run Unity or Maya with all my various toolbars expanded while still having a decent sized view-port. Also great for working on code, can have Visual-Studio open 2 files open side by side, and still have enough width left to not ever have to horizontal scroll.

Also if your worried about game performance, you can just keep a 1080p around for games only and work on the 1440p. Its what i do since i play most games on my tv which is 1080p.
  • Prime8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prime8 interpolator
    I recently changed from 30" Dell with 2560x1600 (16:10) to Dell 34" with 3440x1440 (21:9).
    I absolutely love that 21:9 format.
    That way you might be able to avoid a dual setup, but the 34" screens are pretty expensive, though the 30" was more expansive at that time.

Some people don't like 21:9, therefore it's for sure better to have a look at it beforehand.
  • Bofink
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prime8 wrote: »
    I recently changed from 30" Dell with 2560x1600 (16:10) to Dell 34" with 3440x1440 (21:9).
    I absolutely love that 21:9 format.
    That way you might be able to avoid a dual setup, but the 34" screens are pretty expensive, though the 30" was more expansive at that time.

Some people don't like 21:9, therefore it's for sure better to have a look at it beforehand.

I'm using a Intuos tablet for painting, so 21:9 aspect ratio is a no-go.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    Bofink wrote: »

you can map to part of the screen, if needed. But i always preferred multiple monitors over the 21:9 aspect
  • Prime8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prime8 interpolator

Oh ffs, that clearly shows that I don't use my tablet enough... should have thought about that :icon15:
    There must be some workaround ...lol
  • joebount
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joebount polycounter lvl 12

wrong answer, you can map the surface. You're losing real estate though.
  • Bofink
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anyone using a 1440p screen coupled with a 1080p screen? For example a 27" 1440p with a secondary 24" 1080p.
  • Prime8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prime8 interpolator
    passerby wrote: »
    you can map to part of the screen, if needed. But i always preferred multiple monitors over the 21:9 aspect
    oh good, I can live with that, that's what I meant as workaround.
  • Bofink
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby wrote: »
    ya I'm using 2x 27inch displays at 1440p now, i organically had 2 1080p screens at 24inches, but since getting my new job where i work using 1440p it just made me feel like i got no screen space when i get back home so i had to upgrade.

May I ask what monitors you have? I could get myself an used Asus PB278Q for the same price as the Dell u2515h. :)
  • SnowInChina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    May I ask what monitors you have? I could get myself an used Asus PB278Q for the same price as the Dell u2515h. :)

the asus is not that bad, but i have some backlight bleeding in the corners
  • Bofink
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the asus is not that bad, but i have some backlight bleeding in the corners

How bad is the bleed?
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Anyone using a 1440p screen coupled with a 1080p screen? For example a 27" 1440p with a secondary 24" 1080p.

Yup, it works fine, I'm currently using the 1080p monitor in portrait.
  • SnowInChina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    How bad is the bleed?
    its visible on black, but not over the top

at work we have the Dell U2715Hbut even there i can see some bleeding, but less than on the asus
  • Bofink
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    its visible on black, but not over the top

at work we have the Dell U2715Hbut even there i can see some bleeding, but less than on the asus

I've read that many Dell monitors suffer from IPS glow. Any significant difference between the Asus and Dell in your opinion? Anything that justifies paying an extra hundred? :)
  • SnowInChina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    i didnt have time to really test it yet, since i am still waiting for my screens to get exchanged
    but on the first look, the dell looked overall better
    i can tell you more if they exchange mine as well (which should have had happened like 4weeks ago)
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    I recommend 1440p

Recently got a 4K as main monitor and I have to say it dosnt help as much as I thought and introduced some downsides as well, probably sticking to a 1440p is best.

1200 is not enough, you want to be able to process a 1080p image in photoshop/whatever without scaling it.
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Recently got a 30inch dell ultrasharp at work. Probably the same one Prime8 mentioned. 2560x1600. It was such a game changer. Going back home to use the same programs on a 1080p monitor was a buzzkill in comparison, so I bought one for home a few weeks ago and I'm extremely happy with it.

I would say stay away from 4k for now. Would be rad for gaming, but a lot of software doesn't properly scale well (just do a google image search for "3dsmax 4k monitor.")

1440p or 2560x1600 would both probably be the best way to go for now.
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    I have dual 24 in 1080P monitors and I'm not very happy with them. My old monitors we're 1200 tall and I didnt think it would make much difference. But it's different enough to make all the apps feel crowded.
  • [Deleted User]
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Bofink
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pulled the trigger on an used Asus PB278Q for little over 300 €. Seller said he didn't see any backlight bleed at normal brightness on a black screen. Should arrive next week. :)
  • ericdigital
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ericdigital polycounter lvl 13
    Pulled the trigger on an used Asus PB278Q for little over 300 €. Seller said he didn't see any backlight bleed at normal brightness on a black screen. Should arrive next week. :)

I've got the PB278Q at home, it's a good size, bright and sharp. Colors are solid overall. I think you'll be happy with it!
  • Bofink
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've got the PB278Q at home, it's a good size, bright and sharp. Colors are solid overall. I think you'll be happy with it!
    Good to hear! :)
  • Zephiris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zephiris polygon
    I have a 30" screen with 2560x1600 px, and i feel the size to pixel ratio is perfect. The resolution is awesome for working! I still like to have screens(vertical) on the side, but they're pretty much optional. Can only recommend it.
  • Bofink
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zephiris wrote: »
    I have a 30" screen with 2560x1600 px, and i feel the size to pixel ratio is perfect. The resolution is awesome for working! I still like to have screens(vertical) on the side, but they're pretty much optional. Can only recommend it.
    Ideally I'd liked a 2560x1600 monitor, but they're really expensive compared to their 16:9 counterparts.
  • Zephiris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zephiris polygon
    Ideally I'd liked a 2560x1600 monitor, but they're really expensive compared to their 16:9 counterparts.

You could check ebay for Yamakasi or similar brands from south korea. I imported mine for dirt cheap (by comparison). Mine doubles as a radiator, otherwise I'm super happy with it - but i read some reviews that people from some regions had trouble with the power thing overheating, so do some research about that. Some those screens have the limitation of only being able to run on a certain kind of DVI port (no converters), so pay attention to that as well.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Picked it up this IPS one recently: [ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00QLL01BA?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00"]Asus VX24AH 24-Inch IPS LCD Monitor - Black (80000000:1, 300 cd/m2, 2560 x 1440, 5 ms, VGA/HDMI): Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories[/ame]

Feckin awesome, the clarity will scorch your retinas :D
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    I have a Yamakasi (1440p tho) S-IPS, works amazingly no issues at all (1.5 years or so old). Should get calibration however. Great panel, just no features on the casing. Those korean ebay monitors are a secret tip.
  • CreativeSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CreativeSheep polycounter lvl 8
    I want the grand piano of monitors, the price, very high. One can only look at, two, maybe three monitors at the most.

I know, there are some with six or more, usually for gaming so they have this surreal experience.
  • tritPa
  • Bofink
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Scratch that, seller had to cancel the deal for unknown reasons. :)
  • Bofink
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Those Korean monitors look interesting! What brands are the most reliable and consistent in image quality?
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Im not sure if theyre still that good of a deal unless their prices went down as well.
    They make the panels for all the other companies, the S-IPS Yamakasi Catleap I have has the same panel as the Apple Cinema display (costing nearly a thousand from Apple), got it for 350+50 shipping 1.5 years ago, but you can get some 1440p for around 300 now from normal companies, not sure if they are as good panels however for the same price but you know what you are getting there however