Home Technical Talk

Autodesk 3ds Max 2012

FEMTO
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
FEMTO polycounter lvl 18
Is it possible to buy an older version of 3d studio max for example 2012? I can't see any option to do so on the offical site. I would like to buy a cheaper version of the software. Any ideas?

Replies

• roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    If you are so concerned about getting a cheaper version of a modeling package you may be better off looking at other modern software packages.
    Getting an older version of max is really doing yourself a disservice because it would be denying you any sort of tech support is something went wrong; no patches or expectation of help from Autodesk. You would be behind in terms of tools.
    If max is too expensive, learn another program like modo. Its a very solid program, and it is much cheaper. Also, the prospect of its future inter-connectivity with other Foundry programs is a very welcoming thought.
  • FEMTO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FEMTO polycounter lvl 18
    For what I need max 2012 would be good enough. I'm not interested in Modo - had a play around with it and it is incredibly clunky with a slow modelling workflow.

Anyway, question is, is it possible and if so where could I get it?
  • GlowingPotato
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GlowingPotato polycounter lvl 10
    There is Maya LT for a pretty affordable price, full license or monthly.
  • kio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kio polycounter lvl 15
    really, if money plays a role give blender a go. its really solid and capable.

regarding your question, i think its totally possible to acquire older software, at least in the EU it should be possible - heck we even bought older licences at work if I remember correctly.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    you should contact autodesk before making any purchase and verify that there is no license transfer fee attached in your region for a 2nd hand purchase of any autodesk package. i vaguely remember something like that for 3ds max way back in the day (in the EU). they did it for some other discreet products as well if memory serves and it was serious money.
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    without an autodesk reseller that will not work...
    i sold my old softiamge lic and it was only possible if the new owner got a softimage subscription contract...

so you have to by the old max + renting from autodesk...
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was able to get Max 2012 last year, because I had a client who's plugin only works in that version. I purchased a current seat of Max (2015 then), then contacted Autodesk who let me download and license a seat of Max 2012. I didn't save an money, that's for sure. But Autodesk was flexible about giving me an older version.

As has been said, do your research before purchasing, make sure you'll actually get a legal license. Or, get Blender, many people are now using it, pros and hobbyists alike.