Home Technical Talk

CAT bones having weird issues being weighted, mesh deforms only after adding keyframe

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
drysider polycounter lvl 9
Hey everybody, I'm having some weird problems with my CAT rigs at the moment, which I use for all my rigging because I hate rigging. :D This has happened across a couple of different files so I'm guessing it's some kind of option I've ticked.

Basically, when I go to move a bone, the mesh does not move with it at all, even though it is weighted to the bone. I can move and rotate it all I want, the mesh will never move, as though it has no skin modifier at all.

But! When I move the bone and create a keyframe for that position, the mesh snaps into place and everything animates correctly when I play it back.

In real time, while I go to move it around, nothing happens.

I can't really animate like this since it's a massive hassle having to create individual keyframes every time I want to test a position for a bone.

Thoughts? What is this mystery setting I've somehow turned on that is causing me so much annoyance?

Replies

• drysider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    drysider polycounter lvl 9
    Hi all, bumping this up since I need an answer as this is a freelance commission project I'm working on and I have no idea how to fix it.

To reiterate: I have a CAT skeleton, bones are correctly skinned. When I move a bone, the mesh does not move in real time with the bone. The bones animate as though they aren't skinned at all. If I create a keyframe and deform the bone, when I play back the animation the mesh snaps back into place and begins animating.

It's making it really annoying to animate as I can't easily test a deformation on the fly.
  • jenioss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jenioss polycounter lvl 3
    you using blender ?
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    CAT is a 3ds max component, not blender's.

sadly, no idea here about the issue at hand. CAT does display some odd behavior at times though. it may be worth trying to import the rigged model into a fresh scene or even recreate it by transferring the CAT rig preset and animations?
  • Xolo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xolo polycounter lvl 10
    Could be that the "Always deform" box isn't ticked on in the skin modifier?
    Never used cat so I have no idea how the skin modifier works with that.