Home Technical Talk

3DS Max 2016, Keyboard Input Intermittent

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
echofourpapa polycounter lvl 4
Hi everyone,

I've been experiencing a problem with 3DS Max 2016, and I can't find any info on it. Max likes to ignore keyboard input sometimes. Sometimes it works well, but sometimes it stops. I can't find anything to replicate it, and it only happens on two of my machines at work.

Has anyone else experienced anything similar?

Replies

• thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    if max ignores hotkeys in certain parts of the app or if pressing them triggers the wrong functions and your keyboard seems to work fine otherwise outside max, check the keyboard shortcut override function. toggling that should solve your problem.

http://docs.autodesk.com/3DSMAX/15/ENU/3ds-Max-Help/files/GUID-C14C1D13-0E8E-4471-9671-077FDFB156C8.htm
  • huffer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    huffer interpolator
    Yup, happened to me ever since 2014 (even after all service packs), and it's still happening in 2015.
  • echofourpapa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    echofourpapa polycounter lvl 4
    Toggling the keyboard shortcut override seemed to fix it. But not the way I would expect. It was on, so I turned it off and still had the problem, so I turned it back on and it works now.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    well that sounds like the equivalent of kicking the engine when it has a hiccup. very apt. ;)
  • < ASH >
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    < ASH > polycounter lvl 13
    As thomasp said toggling on keyboard shortcut override function tend to solve these kind of issues.
    However recently I spent quite a lot of time customizing 3ds Max interface and hotkeys and I noticed an interesting fact: depending on the window currently active (like Main UV, Material Editor, UVW Editor, etc) the shortcuts adapt to each one.
    With "active window" I mean that it has the window frame highlighted in full color (if a window is "inactive" usually the frame is white).
    So for example the main 3ds Max UI is active the G key triggers the grid display, while if the the Material Editor is active the G key triggers the "Get Material..." function.
    This is just an example, but I noticed this issue many times, especially working in the Material and UV Editors (where I used to set quit a lot of custom hotkeys).

I hope this helps. :)
  • Naxos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Naxos polycounter lvl 3
    Same problem here : unusable...

On the same hardware, works well with max2014, and erratic response with max 2016...

Can Autodesk guy fix this, please ?