Home General Discussion

"Why I'm leaving CIG" - a letter from the former character artist on Star Citizen

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
dzibarik polycounter lvl 10
Why I’m Leaving CIG
Based on the quality bar that has been set for this project, a Star Citizen character takes me anywhere from 3-6 weeks to get in game. I have been working at CIG for 17 months. In that time I have completed exactly 5 characters. That’s 24 weeks at most.
So why is this?

I don't know if it's legit but definitely sounds plausible. You should read the whole thing, it's very interesting.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3lyfb1/david_jennison_former_lead_character_artist_in/

Replies

• MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    I totally hear where he's coming from, and it's incredibly demoralizing to have to go through that. Out of all the long term projects i've worked on, this has unfortunately been the norm more often than not (at least in terms of revisions, not so much the inexperienced leads he's talking about if that's actually what went down).

I'm not saying it should be this way, but i also understand why revisions are required as a project grows. At the end of the day, everyone has their limits so if that's what he feels he needs to do to be happy then so be it.

As lucky as we are to do this kind of work, it's not without some struggle from time to time as it's still a job. Just do your best every day and try to not take this kind of thing personally (easier said than done in a creative field).
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    MikeF wrote: »
    I totally hear where he's coming from, and it's incredibly demoralizing to have to go through that. Out of all the long term projects i've worked on, this has unfortunately been the norm more often than not (at least in terms of revisions, not so much the inexperienced leads he's talking about if that's actually what went down).

I'm not saying it should be this way, but i also understand why revisions are required as a project grows. At the end of the day, everyone has their limits so if that's what he feels he needs to do to be happy then so be it.

As lucky as we are to do this kind of work, it's not without some struggle from time to time as it's still a job. Just do your best every day and try to not take this kind of thing personally (easier said than done in a creative field).

It's not the revisions that kill your motivation. It's the feeling that people suck at their jobs. That's what really drives ya up a wall.
  • Denny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Denny polycounter lvl 14
    So another project ruined by poor management. *cue theme song* Neverending story...

Edit*
    This is of course hearsay, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was true.
  • marks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    To be honest, this definitely fits what I've seen and heard about what CIG is like on the inside.
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    The PDF is unsigned.

The speculation about who wrote it, and the accompanying link to their linkedin page, is based off of trying to match up dates and could easily be, and probably is, wrong.

I feel super bad for that artist for having this put on him, if he didn't actually write it. Its also extremely wrong headed for people to speculate and throw someone under the bus based on that speculation.

Reddit has a real problem with doxing.
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    People in that thread are questioning the validity of the source but,.... it really makes no difference, this is something that occurs in businesses everywhere often enough. Office politics are incredibly expensive and its a game played by the inept, because everyone else is getting down to the task of producing a brilliant product. If you are a victim of lobbying and speak up honestly and legitimately, out of concern for your team and the product then your employer will be better for it. Mostly though you will be thanked by unemployment, which should free you up to find a place that cares about what they do.

I know, it is easier said than done.
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
  • pangaea
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pangaea polycounter lvl 5
    MagicSugar wrote: »
    7c036718c49313978781babfae310895.jpg

Okay, I'm confused now.

Is 5 characters in 17 months acceptable for a lead character artist at a studio?
  • firestarter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    firestarter polycounter lvl 18
    pangaea wrote: »
    Okay, I'm confused now.

Is 5 characters in 17 months acceptable for a lead character artist at a studio?

I'm confused as to who the image is supposedly accusing, Jennison or Roberts?
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    pangaea wrote: »
    Okay, I'm confused now.

why not, there are some of us who haven't managed to produce a single finished character in that timeframe. enough revisions and reboots can do that to you. :)
    also, leads don't just sit there all day, creating assets. some actually never do that.
  • Fingus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fingus polycounter lvl 11
    I'm confused about where this was sourced from. Did he actually post this on his linkedin, or is this an internal email that was leaked?

The fact that Derek Smart apparently was the source based on the edit at the end of the reddit post makes me suspicious. That guy REALLY has it in for SC. I don't think he wrote a fake letter himself, but rather that he's liable to go off unreliable or unverified information that backs his sentiment.
  • vargatom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp wrote: »
    also, leads don't just sit there all day, creating assets. some actually never do that.

a2c3199208_true_story.jpg

I can't even remember the last time I've modeled a complete character on my own.
    Probably as far back as Assassin's Creed Revelations.

A lead's job is not to produce assets. It's to make sure that everyone on the team does that, and to provide everything else to make it happen - schedules, budgets, tools, techniques, guidance, feedback, evaluation, emotional support... the list is endless.

It's actually a difficult transition to make. You get into the industry to do cool stuff and then you end up doing almost nothing yourself; but you can be the one to enable a lot of others to do that.

So it's not like you've imagined when you were the young artist in the trenches. It's a lot harder and the rewards are of a very different kind, too.

With all that said... The things in this letter unfortunately sound pretty realistic and the conclusions sound quite true as well.
  • RyanB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Comparing to construction:
    'B' Foreman - Has 3 journeymen max under him, still works with tools
    'A' Foreman - Has more than 3 journeymen, doesn't work with tools
    General Foreman - Foreman of the foremen, needed when multiple projects are ongoing

Also, don't quit like that.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    RyanB wrote: »
    Comparing to construction:
    'B' Foreman - Has 3 journeymen max under him, still works with tools
    'A' Foreman - Has more than 3 journeymen, doesn't work with tools
    General Foreman - Foreman of the foremen, needed when multiple projects are ongoing

Also, don't quit like that.

Don't quit like what? When you're miserable?
  • iadagraca
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iadagraca polycounter lvl 5
    vargatom wrote: »
    a2c3199208_true_story.jpg

I can't even remember the last time I've modeled a complete character on my own.
    Probably as far back as Assassin's Creed Revelations.

A lead's job is not to produce assets. It's to make sure that everyone on the team does that, and to provide everything else to make it happen - schedules, budgets, tools, techniques, guidance, feedback, evaluation, emotional support... the list is endless.

It's actually a difficult transition to make. You get into the industry to do cool stuff and then you end up doing almost nothing yourself; but you can be the one to enable a lot of others to do that.

So it's not like you've imagined when you were the young artist in the trenches. It's a lot harder and the rewards are of a very different kind, too.

With all that said... The things in this letter unfortunately sound pretty realistic and the conclusions sound quite true as well.

I could see my self being very happy in that spot. As much as i love making things i often feel like i love guiding people more.
  • Deathstick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    I think he means don't quit like that, as in creating an essay of complaints to your employer which somehow miraculously end up on the internet for all to see.

While I don't think whether or not this document is even real was ever proven, it still amazes me how many people do end up getting themselves into a lot of trouble over posting something on the internet versus just venting out in real-life or over the phone to their friends.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Deathstick wrote: »
    I think he means don't quit like that, as in creating an essay of complaints to your employer which somehow miraculously end up on the internet for all to see.

While I don't think whether or not this document is even real was ever proven, it still amazes me how many people do end up getting themselves into a lot of trouble over posting something on the internet versus just venting out in real-life or over the phone to their friends.

Oh yea, that for sure.
  • dzibarik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir wrote: »
    Oh yea, that for sure.

Such practices should be called out. People who are looking for a job should know what they're getting into.

anyway there's Glassdoor for this.

let's see...
    Current rating for CIG is 2.1 out of 5. 31% would recommend the company to a friend. CEO approval is at 27%. If we read reviews they echo problems with management even those which were written before September when this PDF popped up.

The problem is that such practices are way too common and somehow acceptable in a lot of companies. You do high poly/low poly/texture, your art director accepts it, then someone from higher management comes in and says something like "let's make her bust bigger" because well, I like it more this way. Game art isn't concept art, you can't hop in Photoshop and do some warping. All these things should be fixed at concept or rough blockout stages. Higher management should be EDUCATED that costs them MONEY and all they need to do is just be involved in earlier stages.

Such letters and posts put the issue into light and (hopefully) educate people. And it's a shame that people fear to adress these issues publicaly. When you make some abstract report about "I had such issues someday" it doesn't hit as hard as when some people are called out and receives significantly less attention.

Unfortunately most people won't go public with their issues with management (me included) because they want to have jobs in the future. What's the use in venting issues to my friends when they can't change anything anyway?
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    Star Citizen is going to be the game that kills crowdfunding, I can see it coming.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wouldn't go that far. But it WILL become the de facto cautionary tale that everyone will cite when they aren't sure about a project succeeding or not.
  • tynew
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tynew polycounter lvl 9
    Chris Roberts also became an experienced movie producer with a few notable films. I expect this is where he developed the "perfectionist" persona.

Another thing was the use of CryEngine3. Literally was the worst thing they could of used, tons of stories internally about how the lack of documentation etc. made it hard. They pretty much ended up grabbing all the ex-employees from Crytek to develop their own version of the engine. I'm sure if they had used Unreal Engine the game would have twice the amount of content complete.

With the open development, I'm quite sure when the game comes out it will be good. They just take feedback and fix the crap parts of the game. The main concern is the budget and workforce. They might end up spending all of their money before release. Too much revision!
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's never going to be 'released', at least not in any realistic timeframe. The sheer volume of work required to deliver what they're promising is absurd.
  • Drav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Drav polycounter lvl 9
    Tynew....afaik he was never a director, he was a producer on quite a few films, the most famous being Lord of War.

Agreed tho, all signals point toward epic trainwreck......the question is tho, will it become the Great Train Robbery of our time?
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    I'm a bit more optimistic as to what will come out of CIG. Don't forget Star Citizen represents more than one game...the mission based Squadron 42 is certainly a reachable goal and its what they plan to release first.

The persistent universe game that follows is where I can see the pessimism going. At least they can try to keep pumping out Squadron 42 like content/expansions in order to keep the revenue stream going.

Add: On that note, looks like its starting to snowball... I dont think CIG can ignore this, especially due to the crowd sourced nature of the project. Starting to second guess what I just typed above.
    http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/features/14715-CIG-Employees-Talk-Star-Citizen-and-the-State-of-the-Company?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=share&utm_campaign=all
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    ...Those glass door reviews
  • dzibarik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday wrote: »
    Add: On that note, looks like its starting to snowball... I dont think CIG can ignore this, especially due to the crowd sourced nature of the project. Starting to second guess what I just typed above.
    http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/features/14715-CIG-Employees-Talk-Star-Citizen-and-the-State-of-the-Company?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=share&utm_campaign=all

Wow:

It was also alleged that Roberts' wife and Cloud Imperium Games Vice President of Marketing Sandi Gardiner enforced discriminatory hiring practices. CS1 reported that they were instructed to, first, check the education field on a prospective employee's resume. If too much time had passed, Gardiner reportedly informed people not to hire them, because "they may be over 40, which makes them a protected class and harder to fire." It was also claimed that Gardiner used race as a determining factor in selecting employees, allegedly once saying "We aren't hiring her. We aren't hiring a black girl."

Sources indicate that multiple complaints have been taken to the Human Resource department against Gardiner, with little assistance on the matter - HR, after all, ultimately answers to Roberts and Gardiner.
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update:

Massive response from Chris Roberts.
    https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14979-Chairmans-Response-To-The-Escapist

Apparently there was a Q and A between the two sides and Roberts responding to the allegations, but the responses were never seen and the article posted a day before it was supposed to without his response. The stupidity of it all is that this could have been easy to avoid if they just did proper vetting and made sure the communications were active before hitting "submit".
  • Deathstick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I read through it, honestly sounds like whoever is running the show at The Escapist is just looking for more attention versus verified facts.

And jesus, its a global company with 261 people working on it. I'm pretty sure if I had over even 10 people working under me we all wouldn't agree on things all the time, get to 50 or a 100+ and yeah there's bound to be a few unhealthy/dislike relationships between people.

Next thing you know game reporters will be posting articles about how an employee had to waste half of their day sitting through meetings and rebooting 3DS Max once in awhile because of crashes, the Horror!!!!! /sarcasm.

Seriously though, someone can write anything on the internet and someone else might believe it and report it as 100% factual news.
  • Matt Fagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matt Fagan polycounter lvl 10
    Dataday wrote: »
    Update:

Massive response from Chris Roberts.
    https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14979-Chairmans-Response-To-The-Escapist

Apparently there was a Q and A between the two sides and Roberts responding to the allegations, but the responses were never seen and the article posted a day before it was supposed to without his response. The stupidity of it all is that this could have been easy to avoid if they just did proper vetting and made sure the communications were active before hitting "submit".
    The fact that this guy 'Roberts' responds to the remarks of Derek's statement about CIG alone, and at the amount that was written doesn't really speak that there's any true innocence behind Roberts side of the story.

If it isn't true, a company will not flinch at said remarks. (If it doesn't apply, let it fly) But to the degree Roberts has slammed Derek for speaking out and the amount of detail he went at him with. Even if he remained passive aggressive about it. Just says that there are two sides to this story, and one of those sides doesn't like that it got out. If Derek made the remarks and it was all bull. Roberts would have kept his mouth shut and moved on with continuing working towards another day to ship the game.
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    While there is some truth to that, I believe the fact the story ended up on everything from the Escapist Magazine to Forbes required a response. Granted its hard to say whats true, half true or not true at all, a response was needed though. The drama could and should have been avoided in the first place.
  • Matt Fagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matt Fagan polycounter lvl 10
    If any response was required (or felt that way.) It should have been kept minimal and left between the company and the ex-employee.
  • tynew
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tynew polycounter lvl 9
    It's settled! The entire escapist article is a hoax.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3n6lum/escapist_anonymous_sources_uncovered/

Looks like the journalist was behind the "CIG ex-employee sources". Really though, some of those remarks are unbelievable. CIG would have been sued if the company environment were that toxic.
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thats a shame too because the author was one of those championing ethics in game journalism (GG) prior to leaving the movement 10 months ago. Guess their convictions were not that substantial or long lasting. You don't beat your moral opponents by using the same tactics as tje, or stooping to their level.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ethics in game journalism
    *laughing*
    *crying*
    *rolling on floor*
  • dzibarik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    can they sue the guy if it's true?
  • Goldchain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goldchain null
    dzibarik wrote: »
    can they sue the guy if it's true?
    As far as I know only if they're willing to come forward and prove what was said as false.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Places like Forbes and the Escapist have no real reason to run a story if they don't have what they believe to be legitimate sources - they don't just all pick a random target to jump on, create a load of dummy glassdoor reviews, and write a made-up article at the same time by coincidence.

There'll be something behind it; multiple sources have come forwards and supplied information to both - the accuracy of that information is however difficult for us (the reader) to determine.
  • tynew
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tynew polycounter lvl 9
    In the Escapist article the journalist said she was "approached" by these CIG sources. The quotes from her CIG sources that she has written in her article are exact word for word copies of the glass door reviews. These glass door reviews were released on the 28th. That is proof that there is no doubt she copied them OR some other anonymous people contacted her and copied and pasted those reviews pretending to be CIG employees. Some of the arguments Chris Roberts pointed out in his rebuttal about this particular journalist make the former more and more suspicious.

261 employees. If all the accusations were true there would be more than 10 people complaining that's for damn sure.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, it's not "proof" like, court-of-law proof. It strongly suggests, sure, but it doesn't prove.
  • iadagraca
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/14727-The-Escapist-Explains-Its-Star-Citizen-Sources-Vetting-and-Respo

According to them they even had "corporate lawyers" verify their identities as well. They're anonymous to the readers not the author which is common right?

That reddit post was also updated concede to this.

To me it just seems like those people they interviewed were so eager to spread the word they posted to glassdoor before they could post the article. On top of that the only real "word for word" I saw were "quotes" to which it would seem more odd if those quotes didn't line up than if they did.

I don't think the escapist should have ignored the multiple people coming forward with this.

But I certainly agree people should question those peoples motive and truthfulness.
  • DireWolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    An interesting read... but is it really OK to write names directly like that?
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    WarrenM wrote: »
    *laughing*
    *crying*
    *rolling on floor*
    - warren after reading his own posts
  • Higuy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Higuy polycounter lvl 9
    So much unneeded drama and ego stroking. That article posted by Roberts himself is disgusting and unprofessional, along with most of this stuff.

Why can't people channel this kind of energy and use it to focus and better their own projects and skills rather then trying to bring other peoples down?
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    tynew wrote: »

Not even the reddit post called it a hoax....
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    tynew wrote: »
    261 employees. If all the accusations were true there would be more than 10 people complaining that's for damn sure.

There are still rumors I've heard about the Crytek Austin situation that aren't wide-spread public knowledge yet.
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 18
    ...there are still rumors I've heard about companies I've WORKED for that aren't wide-spread public knowledge yet.
  • tynew
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tynew polycounter lvl 9
    Can studios really be that bad and be so secretive about it? Why would anyone tolerate work places like that?
  • Deathstick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    7 people out of over 240 employees, now if it was 7 out of 20 than yeah it would be very bad.

Then again, the supposed/unverified issues of sexism, racism, and ageism in the hiring practices would make it very bad indeed if it's actually true. Having people feel like cogs while working is one thing, violating those is another issue entirely.

And then even further on the flip side, I think I read somewhere employee's picking on and blaming Sandy Gardiner for supposedly not being qualified for her position as head of marketing even though she has numerous degrees and came up with the marketing plans before the kickstarter, and judging by how well they've been making sales without an actual game released I'd say she's been more than qualified.

One wonders if she's being picked out of everyone else because she's the "wife" of Chris Roberts, which is sexism in itself.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    7 people out of over 240 employees, now if it was 7 out of 20 than yeah it would be very bad.
    No, it's 7 people who have spoken out. "Tip of the iceberg" seems applicable here.
  • iadagraca
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Someone posted this uncensored on an article criticizing the escapist article. I took the liberty of censoring it myself to not put anyone on the spot but it's definitely legit.

It's from October last year, maybe things have come to a head now?

EDIT: I would imagine since one person posted it on the small site I went to, it will likely be more public soon given the controversey.

o7iQLiU.jpg