Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Leo's 2D Art Improvement Thread of Eternal Splendor

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
LeoJr polycounter lvl 7
Starting with the Nidalee I did for the Riot thing, I'm aiming to hopefully have at least one new personal portfolio piece every month. Constructive criticism appreciated! Be brutal!

Replies

• LeoJr
    Offline / Send Message
    LeoJr polycounter lvl 7
    WIP for a Dungeon World group
  • jonjon
    Offline / Send Message
    jonjon polycounter lvl 6
    Hey LeoJr,
    first off your proportion and anatomy work is really good, you've managed to portray some really believable scaling in your work, especially in the second piece where you have a group of characters rather than just the one. Your lighting and colours on your riot piece are really nice as well, her face is illuminated in a way that draws your eye straight to the focal point which is exactly what you want and then you're drawn to the reflection on the claw which is again a great use of lighting and focal points. You've also got this great motion blur thing going on which definitely helps give that dynamic feel to the piece so well done on that :)

The one thing that stands out to me in both pieces is materials. On the second piece the metal on the knight in the foreground and on the big guy in the background doesn't read as metal that strongly, more like a muted plastic. And even though it's better on your riot I still feel like the various materials could do with a bit more work to make it clearer what they're meant to be. All you need to do is play around with different textures and how the light reflects off of them. Take this Marko Djurdjevic piece for example. The way the light effetcs the armour, jacket, skin and even his hair are all different and it's because of this that the piece becomes that more believable and attractive to the eye. For the metals throwing in some strong edge highlights really helps give that high reflective look. Also I feel like the magic blast thing you've got going on in the second piece should be affecting the knight lighting wise a bit more. Other than that you're off to a really great start!

Keep up the good work!

baptist_by_marko_djurdjevic-d8aea8y.png
  • LeoJr
    Offline / Send Message
    LeoJr polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks for the good advice! Here's the final piece:

when_we_last_left_our__heroes__by_leojr-d8pi82u.jpg
  • Andrew F Productions
    Offline / Send Message
    Andrew F Productions polycounter lvl 3
    Oh wow this is killer! That battle armor robot is just amazing! You really captured each characters motion wonderfully. I think the spell might still need to be pushed a bit, right now it is a little too washed out for me, especially since it should be the first thing you look at that draws you into the picture. Maybe play around with a bit more harsh light and stronger shadows in it? Just a thought! keep it up, your character design and posing is just mind blowing!
  • LeoJr
    Offline / Send Message
    LeoJr polycounter lvl 7
    Thank you so much! It's too late to make any more changes as I've already submitted this to the client (they love it, yay), but I'll definitely keep that advice in mind next time I do something like this!
  • LeoJr
  • LeoJr