Home Dota 2

Dota 2 Monthly Community Competition #22 - DECEMBER/JANUARY - New Bloom event

Replies

• darkkyo
    Offline / Send Message
    darkkyo polycounter lvl 6
    Reza wrote: »
    The chance is very low, but let's see. I've done this to myself before many many times but not in this field :) Puck!
    Here is a sketch to say what I have in mind, I'll do the design on the go...

IFtAlla.jpg

Heh, been working on a sculpt pretty similar to that concept/idea for a few weeks. In fact I pretty much just finished the sculpt tonight. Maybe you subconsciously absorbed the idea after you saw it in my thread?

It's actually turned out pretty different from this old progress shot, just wanted you to be aware something similar is in the works!
  • Reza
    Offline / Send Message
    Reza polycounter lvl 3
    well it took me a while to find out why you think these ideas are similar, cause I see them absolutely different.
    those things on her back are not fur, they are patterns on her wing
    So I think we are both safe to go on with our ideas :)
    So far I have this :)

rn85mxe.png
  • darkkyo
    Offline / Send Message
    well it took me a while to find out why you think these ideas are similar, cause I see them absolutely different.
    those things on her back are not fur, they are patterns on her wing
    So I think we are both safe to go on with our ideas :)
    So far I have this :)

rn85mxe.png

Ah good stuff, the concept lead me to believe it was much more similar. Carry on, I like the idea!

Edit: Just to be clear I did not mean to accuse you of anything of course, was just noticing similarities and didn't want to have to cross each other later down the line with very similar sets completed!
  • Reza
    Offline / Send Message
    Reza polycounter lvl 3
    take it easy ;) and be careful with those furs, puck has very little texture space for her back :)
  • darkkyo
    Offline / Send Message
    take it easy ;) and be careful with those furs, puck has very little texture space for her back :)

I'm dreading the head slot more than anything... 300 for LOD1 is a pitiful amount :(

But yeah I'm sure the whole thing will be a struggle of compromise.
  • Sylei
    Offline / Send Message
    Sylei polycounter lvl 5
    Thanks everyone ! Final color map pretty much, doing masks now
    ZBS7Psu.jpg
  • darkkyo
    Offline / Send Message
    God I love the tortured blue-ish hues on the arms and weapon of that Ember. The design as a whole looks wonderful! Nicely done.
  • Reza
    Offline / Send Message
    Reza polycounter lvl 3
    I need someone to explain this to me:
    "All submissions must be on the Dota 2 Workshop by January 19th"
    Does this mean Monday 00:00 time's up or Tuesday 00:00 ?

Also I got this running :)
    Tomorrow I'll do the texture :D

qMOSENc.png
  • darkkyo
    Offline / Send Message
    I need someone to explain this to me:
    "All submissions must be on the Dota 2 Workshop by January 19th"
    Does this mean Monday 00:00 time's up or Tuesday 00:00 ?

Dang, you sure work fast!!

I'm also not sure about the specifics regarding the deadline but I'm going to at least try to get the items uploaded by tomorrow night to be safe, then the remaining stuff I can always add to the submission pages on Monday.

Does anyone remember what it was like last year?
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Working on my last New Bloom item, a Tony tree with Arty.

Here is her beautiful concept.
    clip%2B%282015-01-16%2Bat%2B04.03.16%29.jpg

And here's a few WIP images of the tree. The sculpt is done and I'm retopoing now.
    cherryblossom_wip_02.jpg
    cherryblossom_wip_04.jpg
    cherryblossom_wip_06.jpg
    cherryblossom_wip_07.jpg
  • Anuxinamoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    Oh I like the sculpt of that tree, nice simple wood texture. Just make sure you dont make all the strands the same width and vary the depth of the creases to give it a more organic look (nitpicking)
  • Nikey
    Offline / Send Message
    Nikey polycounter lvl 10
    Sylei wrote: »
    Thanks everyone ! Final color map pretty much, doing masks now
    ZBS7Psu.jpg

Nicely done Sylei! I love how it looks. Not sure about weapons, it will be with particles or not?
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh I like the sculpt of that tree, nice simple wood texture. Just make sure you dont make all the strands the same width and vary the depth of the creases to give it a more organic look (nitpicking)

Yeeeah I spent a lot of time cleaning up the creases after that first WIP sculpt but I definitely could have pushed them a bit more. I already haven't slept tonight though and I'm running out of time if I want to get it submitted today. I'll definitely keep it in mind for future wood sculpts though.
  • Reza
    Offline / Send Message
    Reza polycounter lvl 3
    How am I doing?

NGW2SQa.png
  • Anuxinamoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator wrote: »
    Yeeeah I spent a lot of time cleaning up the creases after that first WIP sculpt but I definitely could have pushed them a bit more. I already haven't slept tonight though and I'm running out of time if I want to get it submitted today. I'll definitely keep it in mind for future wood sculpts though.

Yeah man, hit deadline, take feedback for furture xD

So I'm trying to do my first Paint by derpnes loading screen. Here is a wip of my brush flails.
    f1d0f7a3a1.jpg
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    That looks pretty cool Anuxi. His right arm, the one without the Linkens, could maybe be a bit further back like he's winding up to throw.

Here's a quick test of the tree in game. I need to reposition it but for a first try using a decompiled SMD it works better than I expected.

cherryblossom_wip_09.jpg
  • keinhangia
    Finally done with VS set

Check out the comic I drew for the set!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=377471318

pcs0S4y.jpg
  • Sylei
    Offline / Send Message
    Sylei polycounter lvl 5
    Some gifs ! Now waiting for the illustration
    sICrd97.gif
    0xeLWDo.gif
    Yeah Nikey, ember has a particle mesh importer, I put them on the top half part, the right placement is not showing on the screenshots and stuff though for some reason
  • Reza
    Offline / Send Message
    Reza polycounter lvl 3
    OK, after talking to some friends, I decided to stop this puck as it's not really following this event ( it sill does it my eyes :D ). It was a really good experience though.
    I'll just leave this here for the sake for closing it for now :)

HTNvFDU.jpg
  • Sekoran
    Offline / Send Message
    Sekoran polycounter lvl 4
    And it's finished, pretty happy with it :)

Tresses of the Horned Prophet
    -Death Prophet-

15aAkxO.jpg
  • Prosomogy
    Know that its late but just put it here :D Cb with Dotaguy(concept, textures, promo)
    Spear of the Golden Heavens
    268x268.resizedimage
    doc47308563_359722185?hash=dbc1fd6b1662bd10e0&dl=ca5342bb2179581d9d&wnd=1
    Vigil Minotaur (Cb with Robo)
    268x268.resizedimage
    87B82EE2544CB0FE3CF4AE66CD8A1F8552375815
  • Anuxinamoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh thanks zipf! Too bad I saw this after I finished the Loadscreen D:

Prosomogy: I think the gold on the spear could be pushed more, try getting the masks fiddled with a bit to give it a nice sheen :)

Set uploaded woo!
    F79139807D9D3145E5BC72C2062BED3CB8FA3E28
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished the tree with a couple hours to spare.

DrearyFlawlessDarklingbeetle.gif

Giant's Blossom by Zipfinator and Arty

200x200.resizedimage
  • Rocket_Science
  • Sylei
    Offline / Send Message
    Sylei polycounter lvl 5
    Yay set finished !
    637x358.resizedimage

Headdress of the Rekindled Ashes by Deadman and Sylei

200x200.resizedimage
  • Prosomogy
    Anuxi: Fixed, ty :)
    Well i think so its my last item for newbloom:c

The Horns of the Ghastly Eyrie
    268x268.resizedimage

doc47308563_359798212?hash=767aee3ef0d0a43bf8&dl=68792d9aee6bfe655e&wnd=1
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    Toasty wrote: »
    oh, just re-reading the comp rules.

"Since we have the new bloom deadline till January 17th, we at polycount decided to extend the contest to match the newbloom event, but we are keeping the prizes for the original deadline"

Isn't the New Bloom event due on the January 19th?

Sorry for that, was a typo on my side.

The idea is that it matches the new bloom deadline, so you guys still have today to submit

just one thing to clarify, you dont need to post here today if you are too tired because of the deadline, as long as you managed to submit on the workshop in time it is ok if you post here one day later.
    I know some people that are stretching the day in 20/30 hours, so dont worry =]
    The deadline considered is the one of the submission on the workshop

I should have checked here earlier but I was working non stop and avoiding all social contact
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    phew, finished the skywrath and went to play some drunk doto to celebrate. I think I will never make 14 2 with techies again =]

good luck everyone on the last day.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=377809727

CompetentTiredBaiji.gif

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GniQtAbVbE"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GniQtAbVbE[/ame]

637x358.resizedimage

BloodBound wings by TVidotto

200x200.resizedimage
  • Reza
    Offline / Send Message
    Reza polycounter lvl 3
    @Tvidotto, Valve should just hire you! Well done.
  • ike_ike
    Offline / Send Message
    ike_ike polycounter lvl 12
    268x268.resizedimage

Imperial Horned Headguard from mango and ike

squeaked in our entry. has a very fancy custom Press the Attack icon from mango too!
  • Reza
    Offline / Send Message
    Reza polycounter lvl 3
    268x268.resizedimage

Veil of the Ill Wind by Strawmerry, Reza and Mv

P.S. A friendly suggestion to anyone who is going to make wing item. Please try to avoid separated mesh. there is so much crazy deformation in the provided animations. This wing killed me to be skinned properly!
  • Nikey
    Offline / Send Message
    Nikey polycounter lvl 10
  • danpaz3d
    Offline / Send Message
    danpaz3d polycounter lvl 7
    Veracious Defender by danpaz3d

tumblr_nig3zgvZ4l1rwocuuo1_250.jpg

and a few shots of the set..

tumblr_nig3ldovap1rwocuuo3_1280.jpg
    tumblr_nig3ldovap1rwocuuo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nig3ldovap1rwocuuo4_1280.jpg
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    @Tvidotto, Valve should just hire you! Well done.

someone listen to this wise person!! =]

P.S. A friendly suggestion to anyone who is going to make wing item. Please try to avoid separated mesh. there is so much crazy deformation in the provided animations. This wing killed me to be skinned properly!

keeping on the friendly suggestion train, another possible problem is if you make one of the sides a little different from the other, those meshes can clip. It may not visible but It can give you a lot of headaches when you discover.
    Also try to give an edge flow following the wings default movement and not based on other game models, because some wings in dota doesnt work exactly like a real one would, and will defor more on different places
  • Prosomogy
    ugh, not have a lot time, but will try to done it fast
    doc47308563_360039971?hash=76a7bf01d1499c6ab5&dl=b53347a93cd56487cd&wnd=1
  • Sleepykins
    Hum, 12 and you can still tag Spring2015. Guess its PST deadline?

Great work all around this year. Kinda wish they'd do events like this more often. Also kinda hope some of them have less super specific guidelines.
  • Baddcog
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    Great stuff guys.

One thing that bothers me with a couple of the turnaround gifs though...
    Fewes (from workshop thread) and Tvidotto ,
    kotl2015_turntable_final.gif
    CompetentTiredBaiji.gif

If you guys spin the other way it would look more like they are attacking, showing the face first then bringing the weapon around. Right now these have the weapon covering the face. It's most noticeable in Fewes' because kotl looks like he's gonna fall off the horse.

Compared to the others like:
    DrearyFlawlessDarklingbeetle.gif
    0xeLWDo.gif
    Those two have the hero look you in the eye then it goes around.
    I know it's a small difference but I think it matters when viewing.

When your guys turn around it comes from the 'backside'
  • Nikey
    Offline / Send Message
    Nikey polycounter lvl 10
    Me and greatest ike_donger just finished ogre!

xoDqu5hColo.jpg
  • StuBurrito
    Offline / Send Message
    StuBurrito polycounter lvl 7
    Finally managed to get done with this. Drop it a vote if ya dig it!!

magnus.jpg

Headress of the Northern Mountain by Stuburrito

Head.jpg
  • GhostDetector
    Offline / Send Message
    GhostDetector polycounter lvl 10
    Tvidotto wrote: »
    • open for teams of any size
    • it is allowed one item per hero per team/person ( two or more items for the same hero made by the same team/person will not be accepted)

• everyone should keep posting feedback on other works, the feedback should be constructive

• it must be submitted to the workshop before the deadline but not before the start of the competition
    • The item should be made on the month of the competition, its ok to continue one started earlier, but you should work most of it during the month
    • the deadline is the last day of the month at 23:59 (since we live in different timezones, some submission may be accepted couple hours after the deadline)

• From this month and the next ones, its mandatory to post the work in progress, or else the submission will not be accepted!

Although there are many great sets and items being posted. A lot of people are just posting their final submissions and didn't post any WIP. And the from the group that do post WIP some of them don't give any feedback......
  • Artypi
    Offline / Send Message
    Artypi polycounter lvl 5
    @baddcog
    That's a really good point! i always end up thinking that some turnarounds look a bit odd and can never pinpoint why.

@Ghostdetector
    I think this sort of turned into a combined "community contest/general new bloom content" thread (o:

Anyway, fantastic entries everyone!! well done on all the hard work!
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Although there are many great sets and items being posted. A lot of people are just posting their final submissions and didn't post any WIP. And the from the group that do post WIP some of them don't give any feedback......

Making those things mandatory are our attempt to make the forum a little more constructive =]

unfortunately we had some disqualified entries on past editions for the same reason
    Baddcog wrote: »
    Great stuff guys.

One thing that bothers me with a couple of the turnaround gifs though...
    Fewes (from workshop thread) and Tvidotto ,

If you guys spin the other way it would look more like they are attacking, showing the face first then bringing the weapon around. Right now these have the weapon covering the face. It's most noticeable in Fewes' because kotl looks like he's gonna fall off the horse.

When your guys turn around it comes from the 'backside'

That is a really good point, thanks for showing that. Now my turnaround it looks a little awkward =]
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    I would like to announce that Drew "R13" is going to take care of the contests right now, he is following the contest for some months and I am sure he will do great.
    He is also the responsible for the Greentooth 3d prints, and this will make the whole process of voting and giving the prizes much better

I wanted to thanks everyone that helped and joined the contest since it started exactly 2 years ago.
    A lot of things happened during those years and I am really glad with the results. We managed to attract some attention of sponsors, we got more and more exposure at polycount and we also got a chest in Dota.
    I hope the contest helped spreading the knowledge and helped giving some motivation.

The contest and the polycount efforts toward helping people will continue, it will just change a little =]

the last two months of the contest are already being voted and we will come with the result soon.
  • Toasty
    Just curious how the judging is coming along?
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Done for december and waiting one judge for the newbloom one
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Winners of the #22 edition - December

Toasty

Judges
    Drew "Rogue13" Risch
    Brent "Bounch FX" LaDue
    Mark Doeden
    Thiago "T_Vidotto" Vidotto

Winner

Cloud Robe of Harmony by Toasty
    w3vOmX.jpg

2nd Place

The Twin Ram by Reza

200x200.resizedimage

Congrats everyone that won and entered the contest, the main idea of the contest is to help improve our skills and i hope everyone won on that subject

Prizes!

And as promised we are going to get a Greentooth trophy and the Marmoset gift card for the winner! Congrats Toasty =]

send me an email ( tvidotto@gmail.com ) with your address and contact info. I will forward to the responsibles so you can receive the trophy and the Marmoset prizes =]

KGG0OzS.jpg

1 Toolbag license
    1 $125 gift card (Newegg or Steam)

pc_gttroph.jpg

1 Greentooth trophy
  • danpaz3d
    Offline / Send Message
    danpaz3d polycounter lvl 7
    Congrats Toasty! Awesome work.
  • Toasty
    Whoa, WOOT! It's been a fun couple months making hats. The feedback and quality of submissions has been fantastic. Lets hope every submission is also included ingame with the New Bloom event. Come on Valve, put us out of our misery and let us know what's going in!

Also big thanks to Marmoset and all the Judges for your continuing support of the monthly competitions!

Pregrats to the winners of the New Bloom section of the Comp!
  • quockhanhlk
    Offline / Send Message
    quockhanhlk polycounter lvl 11
    Congratz to the winner :)
  • GhostDetector
    Offline / Send Message
    GhostDetector polycounter lvl 10
    Congratz Toasty and Reza! Excellent work.