Home Dota 2

Dota 2 Monthly Community Competition #22 - DECEMBER/JANUARY - New Bloom event

Replies

• Prosomogy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bum; Centaur, Kunkka, Rubick; cb with Yuri(masks), kaas(concepts,textures),i(model part).
    doc47308563_355545238?hash=703f2b68f046004f35&dl=4e05a8fbaf2ed6a754&wnd=1
    doc47308563_355581902?hash=c28e0d9140fea39896&dl=e5e50776c92a95658d&wnd=1
    doc47308563_355581994?hash=953d4a5f0050bb50fa&dl=6cb54dcb4a8c3f3f01&wnd=1
  • Pipotchi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pipotchi polycounter lvl 4
    Looking good (especially like the kunkka sword) but Kunkka and Centaur dont seem to be holding their weapons properly
  • danpaz3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danpaz3d polycounter lvl 7
    Update on my PL set for Spring. Still a few tweaks for the concept, but I'm going to start sculpting now.

10885236_595033780626758_4027725052396271221_n.png?oh=1e2d7e2603dc6f13a6e14df8a1fae8de&oe=55416D5C&__gda__=1428973952_6404741817d059847291bf624875f444

10897076_595031030627033_6619084900887078051_n.png?oh=87771d362f23d8b93c33e164a8dd7ae8&oe=5540E3CC
  • Toasty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I still have more sculpting to go, however I think I'm going to start baking what I have, so I can check resolution and form separation via colour/tone.

DdlUZ9.jpg
  • ike_ike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ike_ike polycounter lvl 12
    Toasty wrote: »
    I still have more sculpting to go, however I think I'm going to start baking what I have, so I can check resolution and form separation via colour/tone.

ლ(́◉◞౪◟◉‵ლ)
    if you manage to skin those ribbons so everything's floaty and smooth that'll be amazing ingame. i've heard some nightmare stories about her tail slot though

i snagged a nice legion hat from mango

B6RhqxkIQAANAHQ.jpg:large

blobbed out a base base mesh in maya, slightly rearranged those blobs in zbrush

62ace3d87c.jpg

then i retopoed those blobs to make an actual base mesh
    0163868b36.jpg

current sculpt lookin like so
    ab281a557e.jpg

the engravings on the cheek plate are super fine, but i'm not planning on having them readable at all from the game camera to begin with, it's just gonna be extra eye candy for the portrait.

then i spent twenty three hours wrestling with bb code trying to make this post
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9

ty for the list, will be very helpful

kind of the same time, it will be split in 2 but we are doing them togheters

there is one for december with the standard prize and only competing people inside the deadline

and another for december + January running for the golden cask and the figurine

the rules of posting wips still applies, so if someone come here to just post the finished item it will be disqualified

----

I cant compete for the prizes, but I can participate =], here is my wip
    rzls83p.jpg

I am going for a bloodstone corrupted skywrath

It started as a ram bloodstone skywrath, then changed to a bloodstone peacock, then i decided to let it go those crazy ideas =]
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    ike_ike wrote: »
    ლ(́◉◞౪◟◉‵ლ)
    if you manage to skin those ribbons so everything's floaty and smooth that'll be amazing ingame. i've heard some nightmare stories about her tail slot though

i snagged a nice legion hat from mango

blobbed out a base base mesh in maya, slightly rearranged those blobs in zbrush

current sculpt lookin like so
    ab281a557e.jpg

the engravings on the cheek plate are super fine, but i'm not planning on having them readable at all from the game camera to begin with, it's just gonna be extra eye candy for the portrait.

then i spent twenty three hours wrestling with bb code trying to make this post

looks a lot of poligons to the head piece, good luck on the lowpoly =]

it is going really nice, the only thing that I would change is to have some more space on the side of the eyes, right now looks like your helmet is squeasing the head.

It is probably hiding the eyes if you look from the side, some space there will probably help your model

cheers!
  • Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    You know, Ike. What you can do with the head feathers is ad another edge loop down the length of the feather, then move it up so the feather has a ^ profile running down it. Fakes the volume and can really help make it pop from all angles :D

I god damm love those concepts, Mango <3
  • Snowstorm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowstorm polycounter lvl 5
    Whoops I didn't realise this was a single item contest this month. Guess I'll be entering the drow hairstyle I've been working on. Here's the concept (by Foxclover) and the WIPs, sorry about the x-post spam across 3 threads.

Concept and block in using clay tubes:
    QDmMwpr.jpg

Final hair sculpt after it's been shaped and polished:
    drow1.jpg

Hair sculpt with cloth and runes:
    drow2.jpg

Also, Ike you suck. And Anuxi's feather idea is super clever :P

Though in all honesty I think you should establish a little more of the bigger shapes like any bevels and edges before you start the detailing. It's a lot easier to create the clean panel edges if the armour hasn't been detailed yet. Looking at it off hand I'd have at least completed the raised panels around the cheek pieces before detailing it with the swirls.

Once you up-res it enough to get those small swirls in cleaning up an untidy sculpt feels tedious as hell to me personally :/
  • Markovnikov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Markovnikov polycounter lvl 6
    23IAl8D.png

WxKk1xa.png

Some WIP shots of High and Low Poly for New Bloom, as celebrated beyond the Rim.23IAl8DWxKk1xa
  • Prosomogy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pudges weapon, cb with Mango, sculpt.
    9errLvXDSSA.jpgSRxMGrMYpUk.jpg
  • danpaz3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danpaz3d polycounter lvl 7
    Looking good everyone!

Still going with my Spring set for Phantom Lancer. Bunch of tweaks and fixes to do but the sculpt is just about done!

tumblr_nhr55lhiPf1rwocuuo1_1280.jpg
  • ike_ike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ty sirs

@thiago

i did it! i'd left the feathers in sub-d the whole time i was modeling and totally forgot i'd need a bunch of edge loops to make the curve, they ended up eating a lot of tris.

there is some dodgy stuff goin on in lod 1 but hopefully it's well masked by all the other geo. lost the backfaced feathers too. haven't skinned it yet, hopefully cutting a few of those edge loops still works out

31ce9328e1.jpg

@anuxi
    ty sir those feathers are like 160 tris all up. werf

@snowstorm

ill rek u m8. i read the design as bein golden armour with some sorta red inlay pls dont hurt me mango
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    you only need backfacing feathers on the back/lower part really, anything seen from portrait.
    In game you'd never see most of it anyway.
  • ike_ike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah i ended up killing the middle edge loop for lod1 and keeping some backfaces. got some tmask action goin' on ingame. i was planning on skinning the feathers to the flag joints but turns out there is some cloth deal goin on there, it looks ok ingame just bound to the head.
    050f752770.jpg
  • keinhangia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That LC helmet look awesome! Remind me Lu Bu from Romance of Three Kindoms
  • Vovosunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vovosunt polycounter lvl 4
    Toasty, that naga looks amazing O_O
    If you manage to rig it well, all the cookies are yours!
  • quockhanhlk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    quockhanhlk polycounter lvl 11
    Wow naga sculpt is super nice toasty, but i think the details on the swords are very noisy, even from the sculpt itself, and with the low res texture that the game allow it will only end up as noises imo.

And damn, great works, great works everywhere!
  • GreenShade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Random question related to New Bloom: Shadow Shaman and Lion both have an ability that transforms people into cute, useless animals. Anyone is going to replace their ability, to turn people into goats?
  • Reza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reza polycounter lvl 3
    GreenShade wrote: »
    Random question related to New Bloom: Shadow Shaman and Lion both have an ability that transforms people into cute, useless animals. Anyone is going to replace their ability, to turn people into goats?

that would fall under "particles" category I think, which is not welcomed for this event.
    (Although it's practically not much of a particle work)
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212 polycounter lvl 15
    GreenShade wrote: »

Shadow Shaman has a hat for that already, lamb to the slaughter, and a gold version
    Lamb_to_the_Slaughter_Hex_preview.gif?version=79c860bed2bcb19b23cd9ac60459481dGolden_Lamb_to_the_Slaughter_Hex_preview.gif?version=1f242b6e9e7766a1bc078be25705d77c
  • LUCKYman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    418pLT-qyqM.jpgzqg0z49QCEM.jpg
    want help:*(
    idk how to make normal and retopoligy><
  • Toasty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Luckyman, I don't want to be the killjoy here, but what your asking people to explain is quite a large chunk of the overall process that would take a long time to explain. Can I suggest you browse up on a few tutorials? I can't suggest many myself, as you haven't mention what software your using, or understand how to use.

Perhaps A. Type "the 3d program your using " + retopo tutorials into google?
    B. Look up some tut's on how to use Xnormal to bake your normal and AO map
    C. Take a look at T_vidotto's posts
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123800
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=316375622
  • Markovnikov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Markovnikov polycounter lvl 6
    Cracked Horns of Yu Tu Shanyang by Markovnikov

268x268.resizedimage
  • teabiscuit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teabiscuit polycounter lvl 3
    Whoa, I should check this thread more often! @O@ So many good things going on here guys. Pretty sick naga set, and sweet legion head. Looks really good from the in game portrait! Lots of exciting things!
  • Toasty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update on baking/texturing. Still have a bit of texturing to go, mainly on the headress.

IJJST4.jpg
    3Wti7l.jpg

I'm not 100% on the colours, thoughts?
  • GhostDetector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GhostDetector polycounter lvl 10
    @Toasty
    I think the red should either get a bit darker (better contrast) or more orange (closer to the regular color pallete. The swords feel a bit weird since has a black ribbon instead of a red one. As for the actual blade part, maybe tint it blue/teal or even gold.
  • Snowstorm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toasty wrote: »
    Update on baking/texturing. Still have a bit of texturing to go, mainly on the headress.

I'm not 100% on the colours, thoughts?

Looking very good! The dress item really seals the deal. The hem at the back of the dress looks really puffy and odd though, it conflicts with how nice, thin and light the rest of the items look. You could probably do away with the bottom facing edges or make them a lot thinner.

I think the colours look good as they are, though I'd personally prefer to see how they react to the lighting in-game before judging.
  • Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I think its looking pretty good design wise so far, you just need to make sure you spend a good amount of time on the colours as they will make or break the set. I agree with the colour suggestions above, just experiment, make sure you keep switching to greyscale to make sure you values are good and keep working those colours.

Also make sure to keep testing in game too as you go.

I finished the highpoly for my goatmorph set. This set is stupid but it makes me laugh so I'm gonna finish it.
    be8f0d22dd.jpg
  • keinhangia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think should not use the gold color.... you know it was only for royal, or only emperor can wear gold colored cloth. But your Naga have a royal-ish feeling though, not sure how chinese guys will react to that
  • Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • paprika
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    paprika polycounter lvl 14
    more work on this, finished the highpoly
    2uKESSw.jpg
  • Reza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reza polycounter lvl 3
    Yeah I think its looking pretty good design wise so far, you just need to make sure you spend a good amount of time on the colours as they will make or break the set. I agree with the colour suggestions above, just experiment, make sure you keep switching to greyscale to make sure you values are good and keep working those colours.

Also make sure to keep testing in game too as you go.

I finished the highpoly for my goatmorph set. This set is stupid but it makes me laugh so I'm gonna finish it.
    be8f0d22dd.jpg

What's that ball in his hand? his attach projectile?
    Also what matcap is this? looks very good
  • Snowstorm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

It's hilarious, and that's exactly why it works XD

More WIPs from me, x-posted from my Workshop thread.

Bakes(Matcap, Ambient Occlusion, Cavity):

drow3.jpg

In-game:

Texture res is lower than I would like in showcase view, though it looks just nice in loadout.

drowpreview.jpg
  • Reza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reza polycounter lvl 3
    OK there is this CM set that we are doing as well,
    So far it's me and vovosunt
    I don't know which piece to submit for this competition too, plz let me know what you think.

Jwayt48.jpg

22yB0uI.jpg
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reza wrote: »
    OK there is this CM set that we are doing as well,
    So far it's me and vovosunt
    I don't know which piece to submit for this competition too, plz let me know what you think.

If you have not done so yet I would suggest to make a test mesh for the shoulder and test this out. They way they rigged her arms is kind of derpy, and it might cause some funk on the one side where her shoulder is all jacked up. I had an awful time rigging the shoulder piece for my CM.
  • Snowstorm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Probably final textures. Cleaned up the ribbon and tweaked some of the shading on the bun.

Tried another version where the ribbon had more UV space, but it didn't really make a difference. Ribbon looks better now after some mask tweaking and with my own brush strokes removed.

drowpreview2.jpg

@Reza - The CM design doesn't reeeaaaally seem to have any New Bloom themes in it. I think that CM design is strong enough to get in on its own anyway, so you could probably submit it after New Bloom. Assuming that it can be rigged properly of course. Wouldn't really qualify for this competition if you did that though I guess.
  • Reza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reza polycounter lvl 3
    @ kite212, sure I'll give it a try.
    @ Snowstorm, well it was initially designed inspired by "Hanfu", so we thought of giving it a try for CNY.
    Thanks for the comments :)
  • Toasty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks very much for the crits and comments.

8WY5lN.jpg
    (updated image)

Been playing around quickly with overall colours. I'm leaning towards the darker, however the red is a little more fitting wtih New Years.
  • Gajun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really like the black as well, I don't know how it works but is it hard to add styles?
  • Toasty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I can definitely add colour styles (Submit the same mesh with different textures multiple times). At the moment I'm trying to lock down 1 main colour set, so I can use it on the loadingscreen.
  • Snowstorm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The black looks really classy, but in the context of Chinese New Year I think the original colour scheme would be more fitting. Would love to see both submitted though!
  • Sylei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sylei polycounter lvl 5
    We are going to participate with something from our Ember set ! Concepted by Deadman
    RsZEHiS.jpg
    And here is the sculpt wip QBUn9qW.jpg

Snowstorm, I'm happy to see this drow hair done, I remember the badass concept from last year :)
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sylei wrote: »
    We are going to participate with something from our Ember set ! Concepted by Deadman

Snowstorm, I'm happy to see this drow hair done, I remember the badass concept from last year :)

This ember set is so awesome :thumbup: hope you finish it in time
  • keinhangia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lubu is that you XD
  • Vayne4800
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vayne4800 polycounter lvl 3
    WTB Extension! One week will make all the difference! Pretty please Valve!
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
  • vertical
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vertical polycounter lvl 9
    (Attempts to hype) Hurry up guys, I want to see those sets done! Great work here! Now, make haste!
  • keinhangia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here the Loading screen I did for New Bloom VS set C&C welome!

3vfESKC.jpg
  • Vayne4800
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vayne4800 polycounter lvl 3
    keinhangia wrote: »
    Here the Loading screen I did for New Bloom VS set C&C welome!

3vfESKC.jpg

Just tell me when it is out so I can buy it!