Home Dota 2

Dota 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• Snowstorm
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowstorm polycounter lvl 5
    belkun wrote: »
    Loving the ES set from last page, that has to be one of my favorite ES sets so far, the execution is great! Also really digging that Necrophos sculpt.

We just submitted a set for Medusa, a hero we feel doesn't get as much love as she should, so go check it out on the Workshop!

If anyone is interested, there are also some documentation over our thread over here!

Looks great! Love the pinks and purples and the white cloth accents.
  • Vayne4800
    Offline / Send Message
    Vayne4800 polycounter lvl 3
    Nice Work guys. Just one observation, the pink/purple hue feels similar to the Dazzle set loading screen you guys made. Is that intentional?
  • Artypi
    Offline / Send Message
    Artypi polycounter lvl 5
    Vayne4800 wrote: »
    Nice Work guys. Just one observation, the pink/purple hue feels similar to the Dazzle set loading screen you guys made. Is that intentional?

nah i just like that colour a little too much, it seems
  • CJE
    Offline / Send Message
    CJE polycounter lvl 13
    Anyone else using Blender?

When I import the Valve provided .fbx files, it seems like the bones don't import properly.

blender_error.jpg
  • MugenMcFugen
    CJE wrote: »
    Anyone else using Blender?

When I import the Valve provided .fbx files, it seems like the bones don't import properly.

blender_error.jpg

I also noticed that with newest version of Blender :oo however, when I import back lo poly to blender, it goes 180 degrees in opposite direction :\

but yeah, it seems they actually fixed fbx import. At least there are some bones finally!
  • Hawt Koffee
    Offline / Send Message
    Hawt Koffee polycounter lvl 13
    if you are using blender use the smd tools plugin
    FBX importers on blender are garbage, the smd tools however are fucking flawless
  • TommyTehZombie
    FBX importers on blender are garbage, the smd tools however are fucking flawless

Truth, the only problem I've ever had with the Blender SMD tools was exporting as DMX, for whatever reason it acted wonky, and at the time i didnt even know it was a setting i had selected. I've been exporting as SMD and its been hassle free.
  • Rubus
    Offline / Send Message
    Rubus polycounter lvl 5

Pretty much this.

There's absolutely no reason to use .fbx when you can have such clean and flawless imports with .smd files.

Download it here: https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Blender_Source_Tools
  • Tyn
    Offline / Send Message
    Tyn polycounter lvl 10
    Quick question! I've started working on a concept for Ursa. On valve's technical requirements page he's got a weapons/claw slot. I don't think it's ever been used in game though. It's a sweet extra 600/400 tris which I would like to burn on fist-weapon like claws. Is it usable?
  • ShorkGamer
    Offline / Send Message
    ShorkGamer polycounter lvl 7
    Y. It was used once so far. :D
  • Folkye
    Offline / Send Message
    Folkye polycounter lvl 8
    Guys, i need help. Can somebody tell me environment variables for the user and for the system that are NEEDED for Maya(i use 2012)? I just tried to solve the problem and removed some of the variables in the hope to reset them. But it's not work:(
  • selezvega
    i have a problem. My diffuse map and the model work correctly but seem the normal map and 2 masks doesnt work :(. I dont see any efffect, only the color map on the model, nothing else ( no reflect, no bump...). What did i do wrong?
  • penOr
    Offline / Send Message
    penOr polycounter lvl 7
    Hey guys! Rubus and I just finished and submitted our courier
    Workshop link on the image.

qIE15ZN.jpg

HarshCheeryArieltoucan.gif

Does anyone have a link to some gif creation guides? I've seen some other workshoppers submissions and they have some really nice looking gifs that aren't too large in size. If only we could use gfycat...

Cheers!
  • SeeingTriangles
    @penOr: it's looking better than before, although the red on his wings is really saturated and it looks kinda flat. You can load the gif file into photoshop and resize it. Or maybe this vid will help. Also you should check out this guide written by T_Vidotto. The texture on your courier really needs more polish.
  • penOr
    Offline / Send Message
    penOr polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks for the link! I tried to create some gifs with photoshop but the filesize kept coming out quite large. I will also pass on the feedback about texture
  • AndrewHelenek
    Offline / Send Message
    AndrewHelenek polycounter lvl 6
    penOr wrote: »
    Hey guys! Rubus and I just finished and submitted our courier
    Workshop link on the image.

qIE15ZN.jpg

Solid work! Animations came out great, and the sfm preview was a nice touch. Well done all around, keep on animating! :thumbup:
  • penOr
    Offline / Send Message
    penOr polycounter lvl 7
    Solid work! Animations came out great, and the sfm preview was a nice touch. Well done all around, keep on animating! :thumbup:

Cheers andrew! You can probably tell I used your SFM tutorial to learn how the program works =P. Not sure how much more workshop I can work on with the amount of time it takes to create and publish them though...
  • KingTomislav
    Offline / Send Message
    KingTomislav polycounter lvl 5
    You guys are awesome. All of you. Up-voted all!
  • Karkeng Chan Jia Jyn
    Offline / Send Message
    Karkeng Chan Jia Jyn polycounter lvl 2
    Happy Chinese New Year or Happy Lunar New Year guys :D
  • sahil
    Offline / Send Message
    sahil polycounter lvl 8
    Hello everyone !
    EC6D2B865F142F752FBA3BAC344BEE3F8E57AC3C
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    penOr wrote: »
    Thanks for the link! I tried to create some gifs with photoshop but the filesize kept coming out quite large. I will also pass on the feedback about texture

I try to keep my gifs at 2mbs maximum to be allowed inside the steam workshop images

I also use photoshop but I generate from a video on after effects, I try to make smaller loops with low framerate. I keep exporting on AE and inporting on photoshop till I like the result

It is a trial and error method till I get to the size

I tried webM videos but they dont work on steam...

btw, really nice work with the courier =]
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    If I may suggest things on the courier, I think you could use more gradients on it, the wings looks one flat saturated red, and it kind of take too much attention. The head should be more important on the image.

you can also use some gradients to make the bottom parts darker, that helps with blending with the environment.

About the animation I think you could use more weight and quicker movements. all looks a little slow paced expecially on the head movements; when you move your head it usually moves quicker because you are focusing somewhere, if it moves slows it kind of gives the idea of a drunken character.

The wings could bend a little more during the flaps and having a bigger contrast on the donward movements compared to the upwards.

Other than that is looking really good =] wp
  • Rubus
    Offline / Send Message
    Rubus polycounter lvl 5
    Yea I'm definitely going to make an update regarding the wings, I think a stronger gradient and a bit of color correction will do wonders.

Oh the things you see after taking a break from what you're doing...fresh eyes are always good, but they bring lots of "why the heck didn't I do that before" facepalms.

Thanks for the feedback, people (:
  • Nobiru
    Offline / Send Message
    Nobiru polycounter lvl 2
    Hey guys! I'm looking for man who can make video for our lich. We will do texture work soon.
    Send me a pm if you want! :)

Now there bake without textures with test shaders.
    doc52082227_367159167?hash=71fcd63465fb9683c9&dl=f7821e589fb7064d9a&wnd=1
  • Rocket_Science
    Offline / Send Message
    Rocket_Science polycounter lvl 8
    We have double-shaded surfaces from now?! OOu4eCH8Ask.jpg
  • Nikey
    Offline / Send Message
    Nikey polycounter lvl 10
    We have double-shaded surfaces from now?! OOu4eCH8Ask.jpg

No dude, it's only for Storm
  • Rocket_Science
    Offline / Send Message
    Rocket_Science polycounter lvl 8
    oh, sorry :) First time Storm, ya know.
  • Andyk125
    Offline / Send Message
    Andyk125 polycounter lvl 4
    OK after quite some while i'm working on my tidehunter set again, here's the high poly version finished. Let me know what you guys think! Some of the low poly's are allready finished, still need to finish the arms and head.

Also the offhand weapon is a pain in the ***!

SgVzMAO.jpg
  • KingTomislav
    Offline / Send Message
    szu2EEZ.jpg?1Guy what is happening with those items? I browsed steam workshop, and this is what i see. Some items are visible, some are not. Do you know why those other items are invisible?
  • SeeingTriangles
    @KingTomislav: that happened to me sometimes too, not today though. I just checked and the workshop is working fine. Not sure what the cause is, but it might has something to do with the internet connection.

@Andyk125: I'm loving that tentacle weapon and that treasure chest and octopus on his back :) that set is looking really great.

About the double sided geometry, is there any other hero that has it enabled? and how can I check it myself? Also, alpha opacity is enabled for all heroes right?
  • Baddcog
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    Alpha is available for all heros now. I didn't know nay heros used dbl sided.
  • TtraG13
    Offline / Send Message
    TtraG13 polycounter lvl 3
    Hi friends. We finally finished our Clinkz!
    PessimisticLimpBeaver.gif
    66e9261960e8.jpg857704824884.jpg18756f6e2de1.jpg2a8e38678407.jpg50df7ff7628c.jpgc8298dd71740.jpg
  • Hunter-Killer
    Offline / Send Message
    Hunter-Killer polycounter lvl 4
    Latest submission from Hudston, Drew Carrymore and myself, the TimBot courier.
    Let us know what you think, thanks!

268x268.resizedimage

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=394040879
  • KingTomislav
    Offline / Send Message
    wow that Clinkz!
  • Clyptic
    Offline / Send Message
    Clyptic polycounter lvl 6
    Congrats to everyone who had a set accepted. Though I am some what confused with valves choices, simply for the fact that some sets do not look related to the CNY.
  • kite212
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212 polycounter lvl 15
    Clyptic wrote: »
    Congrats to everyone who had a set accepted. Though I am some what confused with valves choices, simply for the fact that some sets do not look related to the CNY.

Congrats all involved! I am a bit surprised though too. Few choices I am not a big fan of, but if they are only doing this chest, and one next week, that just seems like a sad amount to add compared to content submitted. Where is my $.99 new bloom singles chest?

Also is this finally the end of the hero breast augmentation arguments?
  • PoPcorn

I am a little surprised as well. I suppose Valve was trying to avoid the totally obvious chinese themed sets this year. Something to remember for next time I suppose.
  • belkun
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    kite212 wrote: »
    Congrats all involved! I am a bit surprised though too. Few choices I am not a big fan of, but if they are only doing this chest, and one next week, that just seems like a sad amount to add compared to content submitted. Where is my $.99 new bloom singles chest?

Also is this finally the end of the hero breast augmentation arguments?

Same thing here, can't say I like most of the stuff they chose this time. Probably going to pass on buying a chest this year unfortunately, even though I really like one of the sets there.

Also, I hope this is not the end of that discussion, because I still feel that this stuff is unfitting and makes no sense, regardless of what Valve seems to think about it.
  • Toasty
    Will sure be interesting to see what goes in a second possible chest. I guess maybe Valves way of making sure sets apply all the Chinese "rules" is to not include many sets that have chinese themed clothing. I should of added horns............ horns...
  • kite212
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212 polycounter lvl 15
    Toasty wrote: »
    Will sure be interesting to see what goes in a second possible chest. I guess maybe Valves way of making sure sets apply all the Chinese "rules" is to not include many sets that have chinese themed clothing. I should of added horns............ horns...

If your Naga does not make it in I am going to be really disappointed with this years event, and really wonder what went into decision making this year.....
  • Baddcog
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    I just can't wait for the Niki Menage Booty Enhancement Endorsement to go thru!
  • Clyptic
    Offline / Send Message
    Clyptic polycounter lvl 6
    PoPcorn wrote: »
    I am a little surprised as well. I suppose Valve was trying to avoid the totally obvious chinese themed sets this year. Something to remember for next time I suppose.

But if that were the case, then there wouldn't really be any point to the CNY event aside from the deadline. Everyone could just create whatever they want and it would be like any other month of the year...
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    congrats everyone that got on the chest =]
  • PoPcorn
    But if that were the case, then there wouldn't really be any point to the CNY event aside from the deadline. Everyone could just create whatever they want and it would be like any other month of the year...

I know. but look at the choices they have made. That really seems to be the direction they went with.
  • TommyTehZombie
    Well, at least we now know Valves stance on overdone cleavage.
  • Toasty
    There are some great sets in the new chest. Well deserved rewards by all arists involved. Lets hope we see more sets included in CNY soon!
  • bounchfx
    Woop! Grats to the first round of New Bloomers! Really sweet stuff :D. I'm a little surprised there was only 8 accepted, if there's only one more of 8 next week then that's a lot of amazing sets left out in the cold. I'm hoping there's 3 treasures total or at least new bloom submissions bleeding into normal chests going forward. I do not envy Valve having to sort through all the great stuff and make choices, though I suppose they are in the lucky position of getting to choose from amazing selections to begin with hehe.
  • Reza
    Offline / Send Message
    Reza polycounter lvl 3
    PoPcorn wrote: »

But they didn't say that
    They said avoid mixing different stuff together.

"please be careful not to mix cultural concepts in your designs, such as traditional divisions between the dress of children and adults, warriors and civilians and upper and lower classes"

The thing is that China really wants to promote its culture as it is and doesn't want what happened to Dragon, happen to other things too. For Chinese, Dragon is symbol of power and good luck but thanks to Hollywood dragon is now an evil creature for many people...
    Their point was to not mix different things simply because they are Chinese. Something we would never do in western-themed designs because we all know Western culture enough to not mix let's say modern suits with medieval armor.
    The thing is that many people, including me that don't know much about China, would just Google things like "Chinese armor, Chinese custom and etc" and cherry pick the cool designs without knowing which one is for what. Valve simply wanted to give a heads up to not do so cause their Chinese partners won't feel good about that.
  • MugenMcFugen
    Baddcog wrote: »
    I just can't wait for the Niki Menage Booty Enhancement Endorsement to go thru!

*vagualy remembers PA cleavage set that got almost mobbed out of here because of them boobs*
  • Vayne4800
    Offline / Send Message
    Vayne4800 polycounter lvl 3
    Congrats to the lucky guys who got their stuff in this chest! As for chinese themed, I think KotL is both chinese themed and has horns. So I wouldn't rule out the possibility of more chinese themed sets getting accepted. As for cleavage, it sells! End of discussion! But honestly, the set is top notch and the mount looks amazing!

I honestly don't care about the selection as much. Valve are completely random on that front from this POV. Notice only two sets are from top tier artists (KotL and Luna) so either they would stick to a similar number next week or most of the remaining top tier artists stuff will be in the next chest. Not saying it is an issue, but looking at it from a positive way, you still got a chance even if you are completely a new person in this. Fingers crossed.

What was most disappointing IMO was the amount of content released so far. Last new bloom we had about 18 sets and tons of singles. Now we have so far only 7 sets and no singles. If the same is done next week, then it will be a total of 14 sets only out of ~109 sets. If you think of the numbers, they are a notch higher than a regular month release where you would have a Valve chest in first weeks and a tourney chest in middle/end of month. Considering the announcement and how they sold it to us, I honestly expected they would top the amount of releases vs last new bloom. I guess the Arcana is partly to blame. Hell, if Valve didn't even make an announcement, they would still get tons of sets for new bloom but not a whooping ~109!

Though, Bounchfx is right, they do trickle a lot of the sets after the new bloom. A good example was Anuxi's LC set that was released after the new bloom event last year.

TL;DR: Too few sets released considering the hype of the announcement and no singles.