Home General Discussion

Seeking Professional Advice

narticus
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
narticus polycounter lvl 7
Dear Polycount,

I'm seeking some advice from professionals or anyone with some experience in the game industry, particularly in environment art.

To get you up to speed, this is my current situation:

-Bachelor's degree in Computer Animation (learned the basics in 3ds Max)
-11 years of experience in arch-viz
-Currently employed full-time in NYC and living comfortably
-Miserable in the architecture industry
-Regretful of the choices I made to follow this career path

All my life I have been an avid gamer, but it was only about a year ago that I realized I'd like to work in the game industry as an environment artist. Not sure why it took me so long, but since then, I've dedicated my free time towards watching tutorials and creating personal projects to add to my portfolio. The problem is I don't have much to show for it since my full-time job takes up so much of my free time. (Portfolio here: http://www.rullidesign.com/)

I have applied to every game studio in or around NYC that I know of, plenty others on the west coast, and even a few abroad. I've had a few bites, but nothing promising.

So I am now asking the Polycount community for some sage advice.

Do I quit my job, take out loans and go back to school?

-I've heard about some fast-track programs like Gnomon or The Think Tank. Does anyone have experiences with these, good or bad?

Or, should I stay in my current situation, take my time, and wait until my portfolio is good enough to get the job I want?

Has anyone here been in a similar situation, particularly moving from architecture into environment art?

Any help/comments/insults are welcome. Thank you.

Replies

• bugo
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    If I may ask you, why do I see awesome environments on architecture vis, and not on the gameart? If you already have the knowledge of space and lighting, why not get the most of it into gameart? Why go for props?
  • narticus
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo wrote: »
    If I may ask you, why do I see awesome environments on architecture vis, and not on the gameart? If you already have the knowledge of space and lighting, why not get the most of it into gameart? Why go for props?

Time restraints, mostly. I started making an interior for that diner, but aborted the project since it wasn't really very interesting. I am currently working on another interior scene for UE4, but it's taking a while.

I built that sci-fi gun to impress a potential employer, but it hasn't really panned out.
  • slipsius
    I dont think you`ll learn anything from normal schools at this point. Your best bet, if you feel you need the extra push, is to do an online course taught by industry vets. Gnomon and CGWorkshops has some great online classes. Ive done several online animation classes, while a few of my friends have done modelling / texturing classes. They are without a doubt worth every penny. And even if you think you dont have the time, you do. You find all sorts of time you dont realize you had.

Definitely worth looking into. Its cheaper than brick and mortar schools, and can be done while you have a full time job.
  • SecretPro
    I've known friends in similar situations, but it was to leave the industry and switch into another field completely different.

I do not know much on your personal side or your finances, but it sounds like you have settle, the only issue is that you hate the job. With that said, going to school to be an environment artist, is going to push you back.

You already gotten your hands wet, if you want to make the switch I suggest doing it through practicing in your personal time, you will still have your job and when you get good enough, you can decide which career to go after next.
  • narticus
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius wrote: »
    I dont think you`ll learn anything from normal schools at this point. Your best bet, if you feel you need the extra push, is to do an online course taught by industry vets. Gnomon and CGWorkshops has some great online classes. Ive done several online animation classes, while a few of my friends have done modelling / texturing classes. They are without a doubt worth every penny. And even if you think you dont have the time, you do. You find all sorts of time you dont realize you had.

Definitely worth looking into. Its cheaper than brick and mortar schools, and can be done while you have a full time job.

Thanks for the tip. The CGWorkshops seem very reasonable. Not sure what times the courses are though. I've looked into the Gnomon online courses, but most are a little too late for me, being on the east coast. 10pm-1am. I might have to bite the bullet and do one of them though.
  • Higuy
    Offline / Send Message
    Higuy polycounter lvl 9
    Like others said, why go for props? You may want to consider building up more environments in your portfolio. Not sure exactly what you are into (in style), but maybe go find a cool concept and just have it. From the looks of your portfolio now, you definitely have the know-how on how to build things and put it all together. At this point, its about practicing and putting something good together in terms of environment art, not just small little props (albeit they look nice!). Take your archviz skills and put them to use on more environments!

The online courses are good too if you want to continue education, but I wouldn't go back to school (like college/uni). A great majority of things you need to know/learn can be found online through tutorials and google as well.
  • Rurouni Strife
    Offline / Send Message
    Rurouni Strife polycounter lvl 10
    I vote with others who say keep working at it. You already have tons of experience creating a space in Architectural Viz. You've got the skills you need. I think you need more practice at surfacing. The laser rifle has some parts of the material that are great, and others that feel a bit off to me (I'm not a weapons expert), perticularly around the edges. The boulder texture seems a bit low rez, but I don't know what the UV's/Texture sheet looks like. I like your one sand and stone texture but the bricks look like they just float on top of a same colored grout.

My takeaway is that you need to spend more time with your sculpting tools (same here) to really nail those sculpted materials, and to consider revisiting the texture on that gun. That might be why employers are a bit wishy washy on your game art work, it's not very consistent. I have the same thing going on in my portfolio-I've been freelancing for a bit now and it has been good to me so far but it hasn't been a full replacement for a f/t job. Keep working but try to scale back the staying late if you can so you can focus on game art.
  • nyx702
    For the love of god don't take out loans. IMO you're skills are good enough that classes would just be a waste of money. It will just force you to make art on a regular basis. Why pay someone $$$ when you can do that yourself with a little bit of willpower?

The industry is really harsh right now. You're almost there. Just keep pushing. Please don't ruin your future by going into debt.
  • EarthQuake
    It looks like you already have the foundational skills, you just need practice to get your work closer to the industry standard. While you may be able to find that time to practice while going to school, you'll also end up doing a bunch of not-exactly-related BS, and you'll go from being paid comfortably to paying out the ass for the privilege. The majority of what you'll get out of school, basic level 3d app knowledge, it looks like you already know. The social interaction/critique aspect can be found on polycount and numerous other online communities.

So I say, keep up with your personal art in your free time and post diligently on polycount for feedback. Level up your portfolio and start another round of applying.
  • narticus
    Offline / Send Message
    but try to scale back the staying late if you can so you can focus on game art.

I wish it were that easy. My boss can be a tyrant when he's under pressure from a client. It's only occasionally though. But our daily shift is 8-6, and with a 2 hour+ round trip commute, it's really tough to get personal things done during the week.

But thank you for your comments on my textures, that's really helpful.

And thank you all for your encouragement. I think I will avoid a brick and mortar school for now, although the 4 month mentorship in Vancouver is tempting. I will definitely consider online courses through Gnomon or CGWorkshops. And of course I am going to continue with my personal projects in my spare time, which I will be posting to polycount.
  • Playdo
    Out of interest, what is it that you don't like about the arch-viz industry, and why do you think the game industry will be different?
  • narticus
    Offline / Send Message
    That brings up a good point. Has anyone here ever worked in both fields? I'd love to hear the pros vs cons of each.

But from my experience, I find the architecture industry to be sterile and soulless. Maybe if I worked in some kind of cutting edge, exciting design firm I'd be happier, but still, I'm just not crazy about architecture. It kind of bores me.

I've been into gaming for as long as I can remember, and I've always loved comic books and animation. I also practiced a lot of fine art in high school - painting, sculpting, pottery, figure drawing, etc. I even played D&D for a while in high school. So I think they game industry is a much better fit for me.

That being said, I can more easily relate to the people in the game industry. I rarely meet an architect or interior designer who gives a shit about the next Elder Scrolls. And I think that's important. The older I get the more I realize how important it is to have a job you enjoy going to, at least some of the time. Know what I mean?
  • Playdo
    It is important to enjoy going to work. And also, in a creative field where there's a lot of competition, it's important to enjoy it enough to keep excelling. I'd have thought that you must have enjoyed arch-viz to stay in the industry for 11 years. Perhaps it is just your current position.

I've worked in one of the fields only, so I can't give you a direct comparison. But personally I don't find arch-viz to be overly creative, as you're visualising someone else's design under specific guidelines. I'd have thought an environmental artist would have a lot more creative design input.

I'd really suggest honestly pinpointing what it is that you're unhappy about, and finding out if an enviro artist position would actually fix that, before putting all of the work in.
  • narticus
    Offline / Send Message
    Arch-viz was a relatively easy field to get into, so I think that's why I chose it to begin with. I was pretty lazy back then. It was the easiest route, so I chose it, and stuck with it because of that. It was always something that just paid the bills though, I never really took pride in my work. Except on occasion, when I worked on something interesting. When the recession hit, in 2008, I was laid off from my full time position and was forced to find freelance work. I freelanced and collected unemployment for nearly 3 years before landing another full time job. I think if I had worked steadily full-time for the past 11 years, I would have made the decision to switch sooner. And if I had actually put money away before the recession, I would have had time to think about what I really wanted to do during those 3 years, rather than claw my way through, relying on any arch-viz gig I could find. I think now, because I have time to reflect, and also because I should be starting a family in the next couple of years, that I realized what I truly want to do.
  • RyRyB
    Offline / Send Message
    RyRyB polycounter lvl 18
    A quick point about starting a family...

If you want to hop careers, do it now before family responsibilities start to take priorities. Everything, and I mean everything, changes when that part of your life starts to unfold. You don't want your career interfering or hindering your ability to enjoy your family.

It seems like there's a lot to consider. If you think you will be happier in the industry, then go for it. If you want to start a family soon, even better to just go for it now. If you are a happier person because of it, your future family will thank you.
  • narticus
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, exactly! I only got engaged about a month ago, so the family thing should still be at least another 2 years down the line. Just wanted to get myself situated now, so that I'm not a miserable husband/father when the time comes. And luckily, my fiancee is very supportive and even willing to put the wedding on hold until I figure this out.
  • SecretPro
    Getting into the family situation, makes things more complex. If is lack of creativity, why not push further for a senior role(I understand ultimately the client has the say on the aesthetics I supposed).

Don't want to shutter dreams, but becareful with what you are getting into, the game industry shows no empathy. That is more true if you are artist, if you deeply want to make the switch still knowing, these issues:

1. Low pay, this will be an issue if you hope to start a family
    2. Very high chance of unemployment, there is a reason why is has gotten the reputation as being volatile. Just heard a few friends got the boot at Turbine
    3. Excessive work hours, you will crunch

Being said, if you heard it before, blah blah blah, and your deeply want to chase after it still knowing the risk, than prepare to dedicate your life towards grinding, I assume it is worth it if you enjoy it though. Best of luck
  • narticus
    Offline / Send Message
    SecretPro wrote: »
    Getting into the family situation, makes things more complex. If is lack of creativity, why not push further for a senior role(I understand ultimately the client has the say on the aesthetics I supposed).

Don't want to shutter dreams, but becareful with what you are getting into, the game industry shows no empathy. That is more true if you are artist, if you deeply want to make the switch still knowing, these issues:

2. Very high chance of unemployment, there is a reason why is has gotten the reputation as being volatile. Just heard a few friends got the boot at Turbine

Being said, if you heard it before, blah blah blah, and your deeply want to chase after it still knowing the risk, than prepare to dedicate your life towards grinding, I assume it is worth it if you enjoy it though. Best of luck

Thanks. I am aware of these things for ther most part, and i'm still willing to give it a shot. If it ends up being a mistake, I can always fall back on the arch-viz stuff. There's always jobs in that field around here. But there's no way I can move into a more senior position in the firm I'm with. Maybe if i worked for a visualization firm i could move up to an art director position. Even then, you might need some kind of architectural certification, which i have no desire to pursue.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but with a game studio, there are ways to move up eventually, correct? Start out as a jr artist, mid, senior, then maybe art director?
  • IchII3D
    Offline / Send Message
    IchII3D polycounter lvl 12
    SecretPro wrote: »

Just to throw in the other side of the opinions. Its an extremely competitive industry and attracts a lot of people into it, but if you commit and are passionate about what you do. But ultimately, good at what you have chosen to do. I believe you can do very well for yourself.

Starting salary in games is pretty bad, but isn't this the same in all professions? Once you work your way up into an intermediate position things start to become more comfortable, by the time your at a senior level you can start thinking about buying a house. If you continue to get better you could even work yourself into a lead or principle position.

With 5-10 years in the industry as an artist lots of gates start to open, you can do talks, freelance, sell tutorials etc... all making you more valuable and known to the wider industry. You could even teach. The problem is its very common for people to not stay in the industry longer than 3-5 years.

Don't get me wrong the industry has layoffs, but so do others. Long gone are the generations of labor workers who had the same job for decades, the world is a lot different place now.

I suppose I'm writing this to throw in another perspective. As long as your doing what your good at and have a passion for what you do, then onwards and upwards I say.

Any artist out their should watch these two videos to get some perspective.

http://filmmakeriq.com/2014/05/the-long-game-why-leonardo-davinci-was-no-genius/
  • SecretPro
    narticus wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but with a game studio, there are ways to move up eventually, correct? Start out as a jr artist, mid, senior, then maybe art director?

A lot depends on the studio you work for. You either work on a project for 2 years than the studio does their usual restructuring and fires the employes. You also have the scenario in which you work for more renowned studios, but moving up is not in the near future, the positive about those studios is that a regular environment artist, can be considered a senior artist at many other places. From my experience moving up in large studios is very rare. Possible, but that is one of the last things managers care about.
  • MagicSugar
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    IchII3D wrote: »
    Starting salary in games is pretty bad, but isn't this the same in all professions?

Ever heard of MWD Field Engineers? They can start at 14K....a month.

$14,000....A....MONTH

You don't even need top grades from Engineering school (in some companies) since most if not of all your training you'll need for the position is on the job.
  • IchII3D
    Offline / Send Message
    http://www.glassdoor.com/Salaries/mwd-field-engineer-salary-SRCH_KO0,18.htm

Schlumberger = $61,000
    Baker Hughes = $43,000
    Halliburton = $28,000

I find it hard to believe any profession would pay someone $120,000 straight out of college unless they where some kind of marvel genius, doctor, scientist etc... Even then I would argue they technically must have started there career very young to get to that point so early in life. The simple fact is it takes time to get good at something and people aren't going to pay you well unless your good at it.
  • narticus
    Offline / Send Message
    I know someone personally who does Nuke compositing for commercials and makes over 100k. He's only 25 or so.

But as much as this sounds like BS, I'm really not concerned with how much I'm making, as long as it's enough to get by, and I'm happy with what I'm doing for a living. I realize I will probably be taking a pay cut whenever I find something in the game industry.
  • MagicSugar
    Offline / Send Message
    I find it hard to believe any profession would pay someone $120,000 straight out of college

Hard to believe if you dont have proper intel (of the where and the how).
  • IchII3D
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar wrote: »
    Hard to believe if you dont have proper intel (of the where and the how).

You make it sound like Mission Impossible, I simply find $120,000 straight out of college hard to believe for any middle class American. Life has lead me to believe that if its to good to be true, it is.

I'm sure you have 0.05% of the American population that manage to get that well paying job, launched into those positions by already established wealth or may be they are just really awesome at what they do and started from a young age. But to think its common practice to walk out of college with 'intel' and land a $120,000 job is a stuff of pipe dreams in my opinion.

If anything that way of thinking only illustrates everything that is wrong with today's generation of kids. Which is some what illustrated by the videos I posted.

Anyway, back to the point. The Game Industry is a good profession to have and you can live happily and comfortably with a family.
  • MagicSugar
    Offline / Send Message
    But to think its common practice to walk out of college with 'intel' and land a $120,000 job is a stuff of pipe dreams in my opinion.

Nothing personal against you, man :)

People outside of games found it hard to believe too when you told them (and refered them) to the facts of how much you can make making DOTA assets. I know it petered out eventually to 15k a month (if you're a hard worker and early participant).

But that's how it is. You won't believe til you see it yourself.
  • IchII3D
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar wrote: »
    Nothing personal against you, man :)

People outside of games found it hard to believe too when you told them (and refered them) to the facts of how much you can make making DOTA assets. I know it petered out eventually to 15k a month (if you're a hard worker and early participant).

But that's how it is. You won't believe til you see it yourself.

I'm getting the impression now everything your saying isn't something you have experianced first hand? You didn't come out of college with 'intel' and get your bagillion dollar job and you arn't the person making $15,000 a month from DOTA assets?

I also get the impression your blowing things out of proportion based on stuff you read on the internet. I know plenty of people making DOTA assets and I can assure you they aren't making $15,000 a month. The average skilled asset creator could turn a few thousand of there work, but often when taking into account how much investment they put in its similar pay to freelance or salary. If your lucky, may be a bit more. The long game of an asset selling can pay off, but I got the impression it is by far the gold mine people are lead to believe.

Sure if you was one of the first individuals to get on the DOTA train or was lucky enough to be part of the Polycount early assets then yeah, you make some great cash. But that ship sailed a long time ago and isn't something you can rest your livelihood and family on.

Oh wait, but why not make mobile games. You can make millions on that right?

I'm not trying to be negative, I'm sure like I stated in a previous post there is a very small percentage of people who win big but we are talking about realistic expectations here to guide your life on.
  • MagicSugar
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm getting the impression now everything your saying isn't something you have experianced first hand?

:)

How much would you pay me to prove I am not bluffing or making it up? If I post links to prove....how much you'd pay me?
  • narticus
    Offline / Send Message
    Just wanted to chime in with an update:

Thanks in part to this lovely community, I created a portfolio that helped me land a job in the game industry! While I am convinced my portfolio still needs a great deal of work, I am very thankful for all the advice I received here. So, thank you Polycount, I couldn't have done it without you.

Now, after 12 years of working in archviz, I am finally in the field that I should have been in all along. It involved a very expensive move cross-country (NYC > Seattle), and I had to leave my fiancee behind. But in the end it was worth it since I'm now doing what I love. My fiancee is soon to follow, once she finds work out here as well.

Again, thank you.
  • erroldynamic
    Offline / Send Message
    erroldynamic polycounter lvl 18
    Wow, that's great to hear man. Congrats!
  • haiddasalami
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    http://www.glassdoor.com/Salaries/mwd-field-engineer-salary-SRCH_KO0,18.htm

Schlumberger = $61,000
    Baker Hughes = $43,000
    Halliburton = $28,000

I find it hard to believe any profession would pay someone $120,000 straight out of college unless they where some kind of marvel genius, doctor, scientist etc... Even then I would argue they technically must have started there career very young to get to that point so early in life. The simple fact is it takes time to get good at something and people aren't going to pay you well unless your good at it.

Software Engineers make quite a fair bit. My friend who is about to start an internship at IBM is being quoted at 75k o.O This is a 6 month internship with a big chance of being hired fulltime out of college. Told me his manager who has worked there for 2 years makes about 120k

EDIT: Derp saw the post was old :(

On another note, grats!
  • KeirKieran
    Offline / Send Message
    KeirKieran polycounter lvl 3
    That's awesome to hear, Narticus. I'm in a very similar position myself. I got caught in engineering visualization and I'm fighting my way out of it to games as we speak. It's really great to hear of someone else making it. Sometimes it really feels hopeless when I see all the things I don't know.

As someone that's along the same track as me, any advice?
  • sushi
    Awesome news, love your portfolio!
  • narticus
    Offline / Send Message
    KeirKieran wrote: »
    That's awesome to hear, Narticus. I'm in a very similar position myself. I got caught in engineering visualization and I'm fighting my way out of it to games as we speak. It's really great to hear of someone else making it. Sometimes it really feels hopeless when I see all the things I don't know.

As someone that's along the same track as me, any advice?

Aside from what people have already said to me in this thread...do you have an online portfolio? If not I would definitely make one, even if there isn't any game art in it yet. Anything that will highlight your skills.

Figure out what you want to do in games and study that. Get a subscription to Digital Tutors or buy some Gnomon DVDs The good thing is you're already working, so you can afford stuff like this. But since you're working, it's harder to find the time.

I started my self training about a year ago. My weekday routine was to leave for work at 8, get home around 7, work on my portfolio or follow tutorials until around midnight, sleep and repeat. Also watched a bunch of tutorials on the subway ride into and back from work. To be honest, it was kind of exhausting and I had to sacrifice some of my social life. But it feels good to have a goal and work towards it. Definitely helped my general attitude towards my job in archviz, since I knew I would get out of there eventually.

Also if you ever want to PM me about anything specific, feel free.
  • KeirKieran
    Offline / Send Message
    I need to get myself on a solid schedule like that. I got a bundle of tutorials from Udemy on a sale. I'm figuring on trying a little of everything and see what I attach to.

I did have an online portfolio, but GoDaddy and I had a disagreement and decided we should part ways. Sadly, GoDaddy didn't handle the break up maturely and deleted all my stuff. I'm in the process of building a brand new site on a more rational hosting site.
  • narticus
    Offline / Send Message
    I did mine with Squarespace, for what it's worth. I like their templates, but not a fan of the navigation.
  • KeirKieran
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm actually a fair hand at webcoding. Never got into java much, but basic coding I can toss together pretty well. It's one of my many responsibilities at my current job.

Been doing some very simple layout sketches to get the ball rolling. My last site was bloated and needed to die anyway.
  • narticus
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, my only advice on a website would be to go minimal and let the work speak for itself. I prefer that over something flashy. Your time would be better spent on the content.
  • KeirKieran
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, that's what I'm going for. Clean layout, very few picks. Got slowed down by my issues with my new host but all is clear now.
  • narticus
    Offline / Send Message
    Great. Have you posted it on here for comments yet?
  • slosh
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    Narticus, really awesome to hear you made the jump successfully! Seattle is a nice hub for gaming gigs too. Care to share where you ended up?
  • kanga
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    narticus wrote: »
    Dear Polycount, my full-time job takes up so much of my free time.

:)
  • KeirKieran
    Offline / Send Message
    Not yet. Just got my hosting plan fully working, so all I have is a simple "under construction" page. Still, shouldn't take too long to get the home page up at least.