Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Hedgehog fire suppression robot

Ai_
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Ai_ polycounter lvl 6
Hey Polycount! Here is the robot I'm working on. In the next few weeks, I will finish the modelling, retopologize, texture and render it.
Much pinching. Very WIP. Not wow.
Thank you!

HedgehogHPRender1.png
HedgehogHPRender3.png
HedgehogHPRender4.png
HedgehogHPRender5.png
HedgehogHPRender6.png

Replies

• SaferDan
    Offline / Send Message
    SaferDan polycounter lvl 14
    This is awesome! I love the big curvy shapes with the small intricate details. Looking forward to see you sort out that pinching :P
  • KnechtRuprecht
    Offline / Send Message
    KnechtRuprecht polycounter lvl 6
    Love it! Reminds me at the design of the Hawken mechs, they have a similar artstyle. Subbed.
  • Ai_
    Offline / Send Message
    Ai_ polycounter lvl 6
    @SaferDan:
    Thank you for this sudden and unexpected praise, Daniel!

@KnechtRuprecht:
    Thank you! Hawken was one of the reference sources, basically I'm going for rounded, industrial hull design similar to modern helicopters. Want to make it very naturalistic if possible.
  • Ai_
    Offline / Send Message
    Ai_ polycounter lvl 6
    My update for today - modelling some weaponry
    HedgehogHPRender7.png
    HedgehogHPRender8.png
  • Ai_
    Offline / Send Message
    Ai_ polycounter lvl 6
    Another update. Pretty much done with the HP I think
    HedgehogHPRender9.png
    HedgehogHPRender10.png
  • Ai_
    Offline / Send Message
    Ai_ polycounter lvl 6
    And some paintovers. Trying to decide on colors and overall mood of the piece. Which one (if any) do you like?
    HedgehogHPPaintovers.png
  • Ai_
    Offline / Send Message
    Ai_ polycounter lvl 6
    Reviving this. Currently really busy at work so only spending a couple hours on this every night. Hoping to finish texturing in a couple of weeks. Right now I'm laying some basic colors. Decided to throw away all the trashy ones and go with standard military green.
    Hedgehog_Textures_01.png
  • Polygoblin
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygoblin polycounter
    I like the military green. A military tan would be good too, I think. Adds authenticity.

Wish I had critiques. This is just stunning, nice work so far. Go go go :)
  • Ai_
    Offline / Send Message
    Ai_ polycounter lvl 6
    Polygoblin wrote: »
    I like the military green. A military tan would be good too, I think. Adds authenticity.

Wish I had critiques. This is just stunning, nice work so far. Go go go :)

Thank you for the kind words, man, I'm doing my best :)
    I don't actually know what military tan is. Is it like the yellowish desert camouflage?
  • Polygoblin
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygoblin polycounter
    Can't think of the proper name, it's just a light brown color. Standard military color
  • Ai_
    Offline / Send Message
    Ai_ polycounter lvl 6
    Ah, I see. I don't think I've seen russian military use this color, so my mind defaulted to green. Probably depends on terrain.
  • WesleyArthur
    Wow this is brilliant! It's got quite a lot of character, especially considering it's a weaponised mech.

As far as colour goes, I'd consider its application. If it's in a typical modern military area, I'd go with the desert tan look. LoneWolf3D has some cool mechs in that colour. If it's more futuristic or in an urban environment, maybe you could do a greyscale camouflage, but chuck a few colours in as decals perhaps?

Great work!
  • Ai_
    Offline / Send Message
    Ai_ polycounter lvl 6
    Wow this is brilliant! It's got quite a lot of character, especially considering it's a weaponised mech.

As far as colour goes, I'd consider its application. If it's in a typical modern military area, I'd go with the desert tan look. LoneWolf3D has some cool mechs in that colour. If it's more futuristic or in an urban environment, maybe you could do a greyscale camouflage, but chuck a few colours in as decals perhaps?

Great work!

Thank you very much, I appreciate.
    I'm planning to render it in a more or less urban environment, a testing range perhaps. I'll see what I can do about the camo.
  • j.pears
    Offline / Send Message
    j.pears polycounter lvl 4
    very impressed, great amount of detail, and actually looks function-able. have you thought about possibly adding some grease/oil details around some of the joints? as the working parts look very clean and new compared to the scratched body panelling.
  • Ai_
    Offline / Send Message
    Ai_ polycounter lvl 6
    j.pears wrote: »
    very impressed, great amount of detail, and actually looks function-able. have you thought about possibly adding some grease/oil details around some of the joints? as the working parts look very clean and new compared to the scratched body panelling.

Many thanks!
    I will address the joints' issue in due time, I'm thinking about creating a separate layered material for oily/glossy parts.
  • Ai_
    Offline / Send Message
    Ai_ polycounter lvl 6
    Small update. Adding details to the normal map, refining welding seams, decals, colors.
    Hedgehog_Textures_02.png
  • Poinball
    Offline / Send Message
    Poinball polycounter lvl 6
    It is just perfect ! Great High poly !! Good job
  • RyRyB
    Offline / Send Message
    RyRyB polycounter lvl 18
    This looks like it was a lot of fun!

I have a couple of comments:
    - The cylindrical gears on legs ("knee?!") looks a little flat. They could use some value and color changes to help give them depth. Different metals, etc.
    - The damage seems generally small scale. I think some larger wear and tear, especially on the feet and front would be justified. The edge wear around the panels seems a little too consistent. Especially since it's focused on the body and less on the legs, where wear and tear would be present, perhaps even more so than on the body (walking over tree, shrubs, fencing/walls, etc.).

Some of the details and shapes get lost. Perhaps defining a more visual language would help the parts read a little better. For example, the upper leg where all the vital bits of machinery are exposed are painted the same color as the armored parts. Defining these areas as armored = green, non-armored = <insert metal here> may help pop the shapes and details.

Keep pushing!
  • Ai_
    Offline / Send Message
    Ai_ polycounter lvl 6
    Poinball wrote: »
    It is just perfect ! Great High poly !! Good job

Many thanks ^^
    Gonzo wrote: »
    This looks like it was a lot of fun!

I have a couple of comments:
    - The cylindrical gears on legs ("knee?!") looks a little flat. They could use some value and color changes to help give them depth. Different metals, etc.
    - The damage seems generally small scale. I think some larger wear and tear, especially on the feet and front would be justified. The edge wear around the panels seems a little too consistent. Especially since it's focused on the body and less on the legs, where wear and tear would be present, perhaps even more so than on the body (walking over tree, shrubs, fencing/walls, etc.).

Some of the details and shapes get lost. Perhaps defining a more visual language would help the parts read a little better. For example, the upper leg where all the vital bits of machinery are exposed are painted the same color as the armored parts. Defining these areas as armored = green, non-armored = <insert metal here> may help pop the shapes and details.

Keep pushing!

Thanks for the comments, man. It was indeed a lot of fun and these are good points you are making. I've done almost no texture work on the legs so far, so I was going to do just that. I will probably even sculpt some dirt on the feet and put it in the normal map.
  • Ai_
    Offline / Send Message
    Ai_ polycounter lvl 6
    Another tiny update. Working on legs, added oil stains, sculpted some mud on the feet

Hedgehog_Textures_03.png