Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Spiritual dity. Would really appreciate C&C

Hey everyone, I've been working on this design - a spiritual deity. I made the character appear transgender (hence the manly face and female body) so that part was deliberate :)

I struggled with the lighting and I'd appreciate any tips on anythin I could improve.

Thanks for your time everyone that views this :)

syml9g.jpg

Replies

• gavinli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gavinli polycounter lvl 3
    Hi siris,

The concept for this is looking very cool :) What are you looking to achieve with this; will it be a final illustration or is it purely to convey the concept for another purpose?

That being said, I think it'd be good to have a deliberate light sources on this whereas it currently looks as though the light source is abstractly coming from the camera. There's no problem with that but as a personal taste, I think the image would look stronger if there was a light source from the special they're casting and also something off-camera to the side just to show off some of the shapes.

The detail fidelity on the robe is quite good but in contrast to the character's skin and torso area it's quite blurry and could use some more value range. I'd either introduce some darker values where the cloth gathers tightly or play with some hard edges to get that balance where you want to lead the eye. Currently the hard edges are where it looks like the image background has been filled in, lacking in deserved regard for the edges of the character. This makes some of the edges a little harsh and draws your attention to it when instead the design would look much more powerful if you play with the hard edges more sparingly.

I hope that helps and keep it up ;)

Best regards,

Gavin