Home General Discussion

Vista 2.0

Replies

• Tulkamir
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    Yuck, Mac.

Sorry, my respect for the company dropped to zero with their new advertising Campaign.

They're taking the typical idiotic political party stance. It isn't "Buy a Mac because __ ____" it's "Don't buy a PC because ____ ____".

BAH! If they can't pimp their own features they don't deserve attention.
  • noritsune
    Offline / Send Message
    noritsune polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    "Buy a Max because __ ____"

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
    If they can't pimp their own features

[/ QUOTE ]

Forgive me, but these two statements seem contradictory.

btw what is a "Max"? thought that was some software package.

As a longtime Apple fanboy I'm happy to see them now TWO iterations beyond MS grin.gif
  • arshlevon
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    they dont have to pimp to their own features since windows does such a good job of pimping them for them 4 or 5 years later when microsoft decides to implement them. heh, all joking aside, cool stuff still dont think i will be getting a mac anytime soon, if i ever make the jump to maya i will seriously think about though, been using my girlfriends mac for over a year now, just surfing the web and stuff and i really love it, sadly no max on macs, tee hee.
  • Neo_God
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    Don't be an Ass, you know that "Max" was simply a typo for Mac.

What he was trying to say, is that Apple's new ads are more like smear campaigns for PCs. They bash PCs in their ads more than they promote their own product.
  • snemmy
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    as i've told a few people, this will be the last PC i own. my next home computer will be a full fledged desktop Mac.

funny.. i had to get on my Mac to view that page.

i thought the Mac ads were amusing at first. they take the low road on a few of them. and a few are just stupid. but it's not more slander than other companies do, though they tend to not do direct comparisons in their ads.
    the Mac guy is an annoying trendy young hipster smart ass.
    the PC guy is amusing with his dry wit humor.

im sure Windows would have just as annoying/slandering ads if they promoted their OS on tv, but as it stands they have such a market saturation that they do not need any advertisment. the majority of the population thinks of Mac computers as alien products. like instead of being asked to drive their car to work they are told they have to pilot a submarine.

*waits for ye olde irrelevant one button complaints and OS9 or prior complaints
  • Lee3dee
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
  • sledgy
    Offline / Send Message
    sledgy polycounter lvl 18
    The Mactel is looking really option-friendly. If I had any kind of need for MacOS and 2x the money to spend I'd probably get one laugh.gif
  • ElysiumGX
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    Looks sexy. Some friends at work are really excited about it. In other news, Apple is promoting OpenSource projects for the Mac.
    http://macosforge.org/
    Windows will stop crying and take a hint in about 5 years...or more. Looks like Windows XPista is failing all expectations.
  • sonic
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    Have you even used Vista elysium? I assume you haven't. It's actually very nice. In fact, it even has a more powerful backup system than the "Time Machine" system in the new Mac OS. Most of the "innovations" you see from Mac are either gimmicks or simply rehashing what already works. Take "Spaces" for example. Why the hell would anyone need 4 desktops? If I can simply minimize my windows I'm not currently working, why do I need another desktop? If they could give me 4 more hands and another brain so I could work on all 4 at the same time, that'd be great, but at the moment it seems rather useless.
  • Bradfordart
    Offline / Send Message
    Bradfordart polycounter lvl 18
    Macs look pretty, but hot damn none of the software I use supports the darn things. Kind of like Linux.
  • rooster
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    every single thing you delete is still accessable at any time? thats what I call a liability not a feature..
  • hawken
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    here we go again...

I'm a mac user, and I welcome everything they have to throw at m$
  • rooster
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    I personally dont side with either company, they both appear to be throwing in a bunch of features that are rather sparkly and shiny, but dont constitute OS 'meat' in my opinon. just garnishing..
  • Fuse
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    well .. i dunno .. expose and how corners simply blew me away in it's usefulness .. every now and then i try to instinctively use it on my pc ... alas to no sucess frown.gif
  • moose
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    after reading some stuff about the keynote... the new Widget stuff they added is freaking awesome. I am seriously tempted to buy one of these suckers when that comes out, by then ill need an upgrade. Unfortunately, i will most likely be able to get a more powerful PC upgrade for less money.

i started on Apples, and i love them. Very clean and easy to manage.
  • James Edwards
    Offline / Send Message
    James Edwards polycounter lvl 18
    I want one! I might try and hold out till they ship with leopard though. I love using my macbook whenever possible, and dual booting would be a small price to pay to continue using XSI - if you even need to do that with leopard.
  • HarlequiN
    Offline / Send Message
    HarlequiN polycounter lvl 18
    I don't really care for Mac's or PC's - every computer I touch turns to crap in about 30 seconds. I'm jinxed to a ridiculous degree smile.gif

About those commercials though - They make me *not want a Mac. Mostly beacuse I feel somewhat for Mr PC. He's a regular, slightly grey, slightly dull guy and not greatly bothered by it. Mr. Mac on the other hand is a total smart arsed twat who I'd just love to clout round the head with a cricket bat. STOP BEING A SMARMY BASTARD! Sorry, had to be said.
  • Hunter
    Offline / Send Message
    Hunter polycounter lvl 18
    well well... look who finally resurfaced ?? hehe
  • TomDunne
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    It isn't "Buy a Mac because __ ____" it's "Don't buy a PC because ____ ____".

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't new, though. Apple has been casting their platform's virtues against some seriously biased Win/PC arguments for years. I remember when the titanium laptops first were announced at one of the MacWorld shows, the ad copy for those systems' specs compared them to a pretty middle grade Dell laptop. Apple neglected to mention that the topshelf PC laptop makers were all building machines that surpassed the Powerbook in terms of performance specs.

The fact that Apple does ads mocking Windows/PCs but MS never bothers with ads mocking OSX or Apple hardware tells you all you need to know about who runs the market.
  • Irritant
    Offline / Send Message
    Irritant polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    The fact that Apple does ads mocking Windows/PCs but MS never bothers with ads mocking OSX or Apple hardware tells you all you need to know about who runs the market.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bingo. That 3% marketshare also tells you all you need to know.

The latest commercials insult the intelligence of...chimpanzees.
  • Vailias
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    LOL that site crashes my firefox.

multiple desktops = assorted things for linux, and comes with nvidia drivers.

And frankly, anymore Mac isnt a separate computer, its a PC with a mod chip to make its OS work.
  • KDR_11k
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Multiple desktops are almost an incorrect term, what they really are is muliple window configurations. E.g. you could have Max and Photoshop on one desktop for texturing, a bunch of file browsers in another for moving the files into the right directories and the game engine you're testing it on in a third.

Of course it's not as useful for artists, a coder usually has more programs to work with at the same time. Something like ten relevant windows open at any time. That's annoying to navigate by clicking task bar icons.

Multiple desktops were a feature that has been in various window managers for Linux and probably BSD. Windows supports desktops that are larger than your screen, effectively the same except it scrolls smoothly instead of digitally, which isn't optimal and it doesn't keep your task bar in view. That feature has been present in 95, I'm not sure if it was in 3.x as well. The slider isn't enabled on all versions, I think or maybe it depends on the graphics card.
  • hawken
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    yeah the hardware on some of the macs is a bit slower.

but at least the operating system has actually been updated regularly since 2002, unlike windows. And this thread was to primarily talk over the OS. Which does seem to be a frightening beast unless you get the opportunity to use it. Then you will stop the hate and see the love blush.gif