Home Technical Talk

XSI questions

sublime tool
Offline / Send Message
Joao Sapiro sublime tool
hola pessoal !

i am currently in the process of learning XSI , i doubt much people use it here, but it doesnt hurt asking , i have read the help file , and it really has helped me so far ,but theres some stuff im used in max wich i dont know how to achieve with xsi :

-- extruding along face normal instead of the z,y,z axis.
-- selecting loops of edges/rings

ill be posting questions if people want to help me smile.gif

Replies

• Zcubed
    Offline / Send Message
    Zcubed polycounter lvl 18
    Been a while since I last used the learning edition but I think I remember enough to be of use.

- Alt + Middle Click will select edge loops/rings.

- Selecting the extrude command from the menu will give you an explorer window that allows you to define extrude distance.
  • Bradfordart
    Offline / Send Message
    Bradfordart polycounter lvl 18
    I've switched almost completely to XSI. I've got some notes here I made when I began to learn it; it might be useful.

http://www.jamesbradford.net/wip/xsi_notes.txt
  • thomasp
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    Bradfordart: these shortcuts from your notes seem all over the keyboard. is it possible to fully customize them in XSI?

as for the original question about extrudes - my softimage knowledge is a little rusty but have you made sure that you are in local transform mode before invoking the extrude tool?
  • James Edwards
    Offline / Send Message
    James Edwards polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah I almost never use the regular extrude command. Ctrl+d and just use the move manipulator in local mode. Ctrl+d also happens to double as a bevel tool depending on what element type you have selected.

If you really want to get fancy with picking a normal that isn't averaged from your selection use ref mode. Right click the ref button, choose a reference type then it starts a picking session. I use this a lot with extra null objects that I can pick from as different reference sources if I need to go back to a specific reference orientation more than once. Otherwise the elements do the trick.

I also really abuse the 'm' key a lot since XSI's tweak mode is pretty badass. Works great with ctrl+d too since it stays active so you can continue to extrude, bevel, make new selections, or even switch transfrom modes without leaving tweak mode.
  • Bradfordart
    Offline / Send Message
    Bradfordart polycounter lvl 18
    thomasp: Yeah, XSI's keyboard mapping is really good for that (file->keyboard mapping). These are the default settings, which have worked fine for myself.
  • Squid
    Offline / Send Message
    Squid polycounter lvl 18
    'm' key and ctrl+d whore here too. such a shame that highlighted components don't count as valid selections though (for duplication).

when in tweak mode i find it easier to middle click a reference vec (near enough is usually good enough).
  • Joao Sapiro
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    hey thanks for all the help ! that .txt file really helped Bradfordart smile.gif so far i still cant manage to do the following :

Extrude along normals , i tired M + ctrl D ,but its hard to select the faces i want and its kinda confusing , also i think that there are some vertex overlapping , but xsi selects both of them and the weld point tool searches another vertex besides that one frown.gif

Also , is there anyway to make the edge selection tool dont select backfaces ? im kinda tired to after select simple stuff have to deselect like 4x more :P

thank you people
  • dur23
    Offline / Send Message
    dur23 polycounter lvl 19
    i = paint select edges (no selecty the back face)
    u = paint select faces (no selecty the back face)

extruding along normal is the same as moving a face on long its local axis. Set the axis of your manipulator to local. On the side panel thing under s t r stuffs. Or if you right click with translation turned on in the screen area. (not on the model).

I think that made sense...
  • Mongrelman
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    A way I tend to extrude along normals, when wanting to be precise, is ctrl+d the face, then with it selected, go to deform>push, and drag the bar to extrude.

When you choose selection type (edge, face etc.) press F7 to chose box selection, and F10 for paint selecting. Paint selecting doesn't select backfaces.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    Lupus, that way worked perfectly, thanks a bunch mate ! ill post more question as i go along this road smile.gif Also anyone who also has questions please post them as well .