Home Unreal Engine

Unreal Developer Kit - MASTER THREAD

Replies

• reiro
    Offline / Send Message
    reiro polycounter lvl 10
    Hey there, i got a problem with my dominantDirectionalLight.
    Once placed it somehow gives me just this lighting error in the viewport and nothing when rendered. I checked the settings. Can this be a bug or has something to do with my gfx card? Or is there a solution for the error.

The weird thing is that the map Sanctuary can perfectly show and display the DomDirectonalLight shadows...is this just becauses its precalculated shadows?

lightmasserror.jpg
  • Kovac
    Offline / Send Message
    Kovac polycounter lvl 18
    Try destroying the roof on that box, reiro. I'm pretty sure domDirectLights cut themselves off regardless of their position to objects blocking it's path. Are you sure this level is using Lightmass?
  • reiro
    Offline / Send Message
    reiro polycounter lvl 10
    Kovac wrote: »
    Try destroying the roof on that box, reiro. I'm pretty sure domDirectLights cut themselves off regardless of their position to objects blocking it's path. Are you sure this level is using Lightmass?
    Thanks that was the case. It simply needed just a bit more distance.
    Is there a way to make the DomDirLight work in subtractive method?
    Or is it only working under "free" sky.
  • Kovac
    Offline / Send Message
    Kovac polycounter lvl 18
    Based on the few instances I've seen it used I'd imagine not. If you also had a sky dome I'd imagine there's the light group checkbox (sorry I can't remember the real name for those light categories) that you could set it as to make it ignore the geo. With that it'd be a matter of flagging whatever assets you'd want it to ignore the same way, but I can see that getting messy on a a per-asset basis.
  • Gilgamesh
    Offline / Send Message
    Gilgamesh polycounter lvl 12
    Also it looks like it's shining directly downwards only highlighting the 'bump' in the default texture, try changing the angle of it.
  • Laughing_Bun
    Offline / Send Message
    Laughing_Bun polycounter lvl 15
    JordanW wrote: »
    try replacing the lens flare nodes in your material with occlusion percentage node (I think thats the new name) I believe a change went in that broke the old nodes :(

yah i was just using the ones that come with UDK particularly the sun lens flare. Everything appears to be setup correctly, but everything is still not working.
  • Rhinokey
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    okkk when i try and start udk now it freezes my whole machine and i have to forec a reboot (only way to stop it is to hold the power button) it does this a LOT and i have to reinstall and it will work for a little bit,, then it will start freezing on start up again, its really pissin me off

uppdate reinstalled this time and it stil freezes,, i dont even get the loading screen or anything,, click the icon and about 3 secs later pc is froze,, i've let it sit like 10 minutes,, but no luck
  • RAL
    did anyone get particles from ut3 to transfer over into udk? see i made particles in ut3 but they won't open in udk, do i have to make them again? i know i can just re-import my textures, create my materials and enter the same settings for the particle, but i was just wondering if someone figured a way around it.
  • ImSlightlyBored
    Offline / Send Message
    ImSlightlyBored polycounter lvl 13
    anyone been using vertex shaders?
    they're a bit buggy. Whenever I add anything to an objects world position just on z (component mask, add constant 1) it goes diagonally, not up in a straight direction as expected. anyone know why or a workaround?
  • Xoliul
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Transform it before you apply it, SlightlyBored ?
  • Rhinokey
    Offline / Send Message
    so no clues what would cause the editor to hard freeze my whole pc everytime try and start it?
  • Lamont
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    Rhinokey wrote: »
    so no clues what would cause the editor to hard freeze my whole pc everytime try and start it?
    Ok, how about load UDK and not open your package? Or remove your package from auto-loading. If it freezes after that, then it's the install, if not, then it's something in your package.

Did you muck with the ini files? If so, default them.
  • sampson
    Offline / Send Message
    sampson polycounter lvl 9
    how do i import custom collision meshes?
  • Lamont
    Offline / Send Message
    Custom collision meshes come in with the model file. Create the mesh in your 3D app of choice and name it UCX_ModelName, then export your mesh and the collision at the same time. Make sure to assign the same material as the static mesh, then import as usual. Will be there.

Detailed on the UDN ::COLLISION::
  • ImSlightlyBored
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul wrote: »
    Transform it before you apply it, SlightlyBored ?
    With my basic shader knowledge (ie purely UE) I can't go in to the high level stuff, and Unreal won't allow any of its vector transform nodes in vertex shaders. I was under the impression world position was literally world position : (

here's an image of what's going on;
    stumped.jpg

top left is what I'm getting, some sort of vertex erection. I'm using vertex color channels as a sort of baked displacement map, and in this case tried pure red (vert painted 255,0,0) and used purely the red component to drive the z levels on world position.
    It goes up fine but just also seems to be having an equal effect on x and y.

ADDENDUM
    I have solved it after I thought about what I just said; it seemed to bypass the component mask so instead of fighting with it, I went with it and just force fed 0 in to the other components (x,y)

it now just effects Z. Bit of a weird approach but whatever works. Posting this to help others.

solved.jpg
  • Rhinokey
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont wrote: »
    Ok, how about load UDK and not open your package? Or remove your package from auto-loading. If it freezes after that, then it's the install, if not, then it's something in your package.

Did you muck with the ini files? If so, default them.

fresh install no mucking with anything, i dont even get the loading screen,, i click the icon to launch it, then it perm freezes,, i've uninstalled and reinstalled it 3x. no packages anywhere
  • JordanW
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    ImSlightlyBored the reason you had to do that to make it go straight up is because you have to explicitly tell it that you're moving it up in the Zaxis, if you just plug 40 into world position offset it doesn't know which direction you mean so it makes it 40,40,40 which will cause a diagonal transform, so if you want to do some function that makes it move 40 in the up direction it would be Function*(0,0,40). If you want to move something in relation to the normal there's a node called worldoffsetnormal or object normal something like that.
  • Ben Apuna
    luke:

The only time I've ever seen that happen is if I've set Lock Location to "on" for a static mesh and then tried to move it. It shouldn't happen when just placing a new mesh in the level. Try select a static mesh and hit F4 to bring up it's properties. Then roll out the Advanced tab if "Lock Location?" checked on then uncheck it.

Rhinokey:

Bad/New video card driver maybe?
  • sampson
    Offline / Send Message
    what i shuold've asked is - how do you go about collision on an object that is tube shaped, so u can walk through the middle of it?
  • Lamont
    Offline / Send Message
    sampson wrote: »
    what i shuold've asked is - how do you go about collision on an object that is tube shaped, so u can walk through the middle of it?
    Build the collision like it's an igloo.
  • Xoliul
    Offline / Send Message

I'd just use per poly collision there. You can't have concave collision meshes so I think that's the only option, unless you build it out of multiple convex parts.
  • JordanW
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul wrote: »
    unless you build it out of multiple convex parts.

This, it's the best way.
  • Lamont
    Offline / Send Message
    unless you build it out of multiple convex parts
    I guess, "igloo" isn't a good word to use? lol!!!
  • sampson
    Offline / Send Message
    i dont fully understand what they mean by convex. off the docu
    wouldnt my shape be something like the bottom right "no" ??

Convex.gif

here's my scene to illustrate the shape: (yes i realise it should be done with perhaps bsp, but the shape gets more complex with windows and extrusions and stuff)
    n5lcw8.jpg
  • Xoliul
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, but you can have multiple shapes of the green, convex type, form a seemingly "single" collision mesh. It handles each of the separately, so no rules are broken, but it works like you want it.
  • sampson
    Offline / Send Message
    oh wait does convex work the opposite from normal so like the boundaries of the green means its a wall? - how can i just use that existing static mesh as the collision or does it not work that way
  • Xoliul
    Offline / Send Message
    oh wait does convex work the opposite from normal so like the boundaries of the green means its a wall? - how can i just use that existing static mesh as the collision or does it not work that way

You can use the mesh as collision, just untick every "UseSimple..." at the bottom of the Static Mesh properties in the viewer.
    And yes convex works that way, and you can build something concave out of multiple convexes.
  • Lamont
    Offline / Send Message
    I may be mistaken, but if those walls are flat polys, it won't work. I will treat it like a solid. It needs to have the collision built out. As for the pillars, yeah, you can auto-generate in Unreal.
  • Wahlgren
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    Hey guys. I'm trying to make a wall that has glowing graffiti on it. Naturally i'm using a decal for the graffiti and i wonder if it's possible to use it to cast some light in the environment via lightmass and all that. I assume not since there's no lightmass option in it's properties.
  • ShadowFox
    Im curious to know how everyone works out their measurements between max and unreal?

Right now im experimenting with the 2 but I seem to have a problem sorting the units out. How does everyone calculate their sizes and averages?

Right now im working with feet in max to make it fit into the engine, anyone else got some links as to a good way to go about getting unit set ups or how they do it?
  • Lamont
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys. I'm trying to make a wall that has glowing graffiti on it. Naturally i'm using a decal for the graffiti and i wonder if it's possible to use it to cast some light in the environment via lightmass and all that. I assume not since there's no lightmass option in it's properties.
    Emmisive in the material?

**sorry for the vague answers, I don't have UDK installed at the moment**
  • Wahlgren
    Offline / Send Message
    I bumped it and i get the blurry-emissive-glow-light thing ingame but it doesn't actually cast any "lights" in the scene. Emissive on meshes work with lightmass... decals don't. :(

I simply want the colored text to illuminate the wall a bit. Oh well. I think i just gotta cheat as in make a unique mesh for it and place a transparent material on it.
  • JordanW
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not sure but I dont think decals will emit light.
  • Michael Knubben
    pig: for a quick fix, you could also --depending on the detail of the wall mesh) try to quickly paint it into the vertices. I haven't used it yet, but the vertex colouring brush looked very easy to use.
  • Wahlgren
    Offline / Send Message
    Mightypea, good tip but my wall is more or less flat with zero vertices to paint on.

Been fooling around with it today and quickly figured out that my first attempt was my best attempt. (Decals + Point lights). Thanks for the help.
  • sampson
    Offline / Send Message
    is it possible to increase teh strength of SSAO? i can't find it in post process volume?
  • Gilgamesh
    Offline / Send Message
    Gilgamesh polycounter lvl 12
    SSAO is in world properties (part of lightmass?) not post process I believe.
  • Electro
    Offline / Send Message
    Electro polycounter lvl 18
    That's silly, as you know, it's done in SCREEN SPACE (post effect) :P
  • ImSlightlyBored
    Offline / Send Message
    is it possible to increase teh strength of SSAO? i can't find it in post process volume?
    custom PP chain.
  • Sean VanGorder
    I'm having trouble bringing a speedtree into UDK. I don't want it to have any wind affecting it in engine, but everytime I deselect "include wind" when compiling it, it crashes UDK when I try to import it. If I leave "include wind" selected, I can import it into UDK, but I cannot turn off the wind affect. Any ideas?

Edit: FIXED. Stupid mistake.
  • natetheartist
    Offline / Send Message
    natetheartist polycounter lvl 9
    Forgive me if this has already been addressed, I didn't find it in the thread.

Is anyone else having a problem opening packages?

I work between computers, and even after making sure I'm using the latest release of UDK, my desktop gives me this error:

crapw.jpg

for some reason, I don't get the error on the laptop. Halp!
  • Lamont
    Offline / Send Message
    COMPLETELY load that package (UPK) before you load the level. Also, it helps to be tidy with your UDK projects. Put them in the UDK directory.

Unless there is something else. But yeah, it's just not loading those files.
  • natetheartist
    Offline / Send Message
    natetheartist polycounter lvl 9
    disregard that, I think I just found the problem. It seems that the previous release did not uninstall. Trying again. Thanks.
  • Lamont
    Offline / Send Message
    How about just go to the other computer and get that package? I've only seen that error when I forget a package. And it only pops up when the level loads, not when you open the UPK.
  • 3DRyan
    Offline / Send Message
    3DRyan polycounter lvl 8
    Just out of curiosity, has anyone been able to get normal maps to work on their speedtrees when they import them in? In the UDK tutorial for it on youtube, the guy couldn't figure out how to get it to work. Just was curious if everyone's having this problem.
  • fei-rukawa
    3DRyan: Did you changed the compression settings to "tc_normalmap" in the options when you imported your texture?

Hey guys, i'm new to the udk, i've been playing with it for 2 weeks and i was wondering if someone knew how to make reflective floors? I thought it could be cool to have that in my scene there :

GiantDemonArena01.jpg

right now, after some googleing i found some crappy reflective techniques like that:

ReflectiveFloor_FAIL.jpg

The result is horrible, can anyone help?
  • Ben Apuna
    fei-rukawa:

You should search for info on how to use cube maps or check out this UDN page.
  • fei-rukawa
    i tried cube map, it's not what i need, the right one is called SceneCaptureReflectActor, but the udn page doesn't explain exactly how to use it.

It's been 5 hours i'm looking for that, i learned how to make chrome, water, and been having a headache for nothing, because i finally found that it was a $#!£ bug that's been wasting my time right from the beginning. The reflection doesn't work until you click on the SceneCaptureReflectActor, then move your viewport camera.

For other people in my case, here's my savior: http://www.game-artist.net/forums/scene-movie-competition/8743-sfam-oldboy-3.html#post85582

Hope it will help others from wasting time for nothing.
    Thanks for trying to help though ;)
  • Ruz
    Online / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    can't seem to get a spec power 'texture' to work in UDK
    If i use a constant it works fine, but would like to use a grayscale texture to get variation in the highlight sizes ie the cloth should have a broader higlight, shiny metal bits a tighter highlight

works fine if you use a constant ( minus any variation), but the texture method seems borked.

Even if i use a pure white tex map, the highlights are still fairly big
  • Ben Apuna
    Ruz:

Try multiply your spec power texture by a constant, 100, 200, 1000... etc, until you get the range you want.

EDIT:

So:

a pure white pixel X 500 = 500 spec power.
    a pure black pixel X 500 = 0 spec power.
    a 50% gray pixel X 500 = 250 spec power.

The trick is just figuring out what values you want your end result spec power to be then paint the corresponding values in the texture knowing what the result will be when you multiply it.